PDA

View Full Version : I can not decide on a fsp rail

themighty9mm
06-29-12, 04:51
I'm taking a break from one are work in progress to work on my seconed one. I have asked a similar question before, but using the search can not find a comparison or even alot of information on a couple choices.
I am pretty much set on one of 3. The DD Lite FSP, the DD RIS 2 FSP, or the centurian FSP. As I understand it the lite and RIS 2 have more or less the same mounting set up with the special barrel nut and plate. This really does something for me, and to me just screams strength. The Centurian seems more user friendly, but unsure of its lock up (for lack of better words). I understand it has 2 anti rotation tabs, so thats comforting.

What I like on each.
- The Centurian appears to have a more user friendly install, has QD tabs built in. Lighter than other 2 options. Seems easy enough to remove for maintance, and has a profile that looks very attractive to me.
- The LITE, has the, what appears to be, very strong lock up of the RIS 2. Is a one peice rail, and seems like it would be the most ridged of the 3. And again a profile that seems very attractive
- The RIS 2, .mil issue is always comforting, bottom can be removed for maintance, strong lock up.

What I dislike
- Centurian, unsure of lock up, and saw a review on you tube saying something along the lines of it flexing and touching the barrel.
- LITE, being a 1 peice design will make it a PITA for maintance. And will almost certainly be a gunsmith install as I can't see buying the tools for a one time operation.
- Ris 2, profile looks funky, have no use for any of the 203 functions, gunsmith install, no built in QD option.

Anybody have experience with all 3? Or even one of them. Thoughts, ideas, opinions? More info on the centurian rail as even though I am unsure of the lock up its the one I am currently leaning towards at the moment. I have no option of handling each or any of them before purchase or I would do so. So I feel I am forced to go off of asthetics and what I read. Unfortunatly I cant seem to find a heck of alot on any of the 3. Or maybe my search-foo is lacking.

davidjinks
06-29-12, 07:07
I have used the DD Lite and currently use the RIS II FSP.

IMO: The RIS II FSP is one of the better rails I've used. I like the fact that it has a slimmer profile, removal of bottom rail for barrel maintenance, very solid with little flex.

If you are building your own uppers, the RIS II is an easy install. Now, that doesn't mean I installed mine (I suck at building guns that's what I pay other people for) however, with the supplied directions it's pretty simple.

The rail does get hot. Gloves or rail panels will mitigate this issue though. I put 300 rounds down range fairly quickly and the rail got warm enough for gloves.

I did not like the blocky feel to the Lite rail. That was the one determining factor for me as well as no removal of bottom rail.

Do you need a removable bottom rail? Maybe maybe not. I like that feature purely for maintenance purposes.

Dionysusigma
06-29-12, 08:51
What sort of AR maintenance necessitates removal of the bottom rail only? :confused:

davidjinks
06-29-12, 08:56
For me, I like to be able to clean and lube the barrel under the rail. As I said, not everyone does it and some could care less. I just like that particular feature (Though it isn't meant for that).

YMMV

What sort of AR maintenance necessitates removal of the bottom rail only? :confused:

SteadyUp
06-29-12, 10:23
Any of the would be a solid choice. I have other Centurion models, and they mount quite solidly to the barrel nut. I think you're entering "over thinking things" territory.

Out of the 3 you listed, I'd choose the Centurion for ease of installation, and for the fact that it has built in QD sockets at both the muzzle and barrel nut end of the rail.

More than a few members here use Centurion rails (and Daniel Defense) and you'll hear positive reviews out of damn near all of them.