PDA

View Full Version : my all around, perfect for me, go to rifle. UPDATED WITH A TWIN

masakari
06-29-12, 09:18
I completed my go to rifle. This is my favorite build so far because it seems to do absolutely everything that i could need a defensive rifle to do.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-09-21_16-58-07_420_zpsc0f71eb4.jpg
PSA lighter weight midlength 16" upper
Spike's lower w/ LMT selector and ST-2T buffer
Trijicon ACOG TA33R8 with LaRue mount
Troy Battlesight
Massie Tactics 2400 light mount
Streamlight TLR-1 with remote plate and switch
Magpul UBR stock with CR123s, 3 allen keys, emergency lube, and ear plugs
Magpul MIAD grip with Samson field survivor
Magpul MOE midlength handguard
IWC MOE sling mount
BFG VCAS padded sling
BCM Gunfighter MOD4 charging handle
UW Gear AR bandoleer
LaRue Covert Case MKI

*update*
So i decided that i liked this rifle so much, that she needed a twin.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-10-07_15-45-39_133.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-07-09_19-51-27_654.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-07-09_19-50-37_701.jpg
CMMG 14.7" M4 profile upper with pinned A2
Bushmaster lower with LMT fire control parts and Spike's ST-2T buffer
Trijicon ACOG TA33G-H with LaRue mount
Troy Battlesight
Massie Tactics 2400 light mount
Streamlight TLR-1 with remote plate and switch
Magpul UBR stock with CR123s, 3 allen keys, emergency lube, and ear plugs
Magpul MIAD grip with core for spare Stag Arms bolt, firing pin, and cam pin
Magpul MOE carbine handguard version 1
IWC MOE sling mount
BFG VCAS padded sling
BCM Gunfighter MOD4 charging handle
UW Gear AR bandoleer
Custom LaRue style Covert Case

bdcheung
06-29-12, 09:27
Love it--purely utilitarian :)

fallenromeo
06-29-12, 10:53
Maybe I just don't have enough experience with ACOG's but that looks tiny!

Shokr21
06-29-12, 11:02
Good looking stick!

Looks like you assembled a pretty damned good do it all rifle.

Failure2Stop
06-29-12, 12:33
mas-
You could turn this into an outstanding post by stating why you selected the parts/components/accessories you did, what else you have used, and how your choices are working out for your stated purpose.

HaydenB
06-29-12, 12:35
I like it!

How do you like the TA33 with the fixed front sight? Is it distracting?

masakari
06-29-12, 13:00
mas-
You could turn this into an outstanding post by stating why you selected the parts/components/accessories you did, what else you have used, and how your choices are working out for your stated purpose.
Challenge accepted!
I have had a good amount of experience with building ARs and M16s over the years. My first personal project rifle was a clone of my issued M16A4 and subsequently was fairly large and heavy. I have since sold off the bits of that project in hopes of making lighter weight rifles that are more mobile and useful. I consider this my third complete AR, one of two that i currently own, though i have built or helped build a dozen more. This rifle is supposed to be my one rifle that i would take with me through any situation. Survival, patrol, hiking, close quarters, long range, etc.
I bought the spikes lower a long time ago because the price was right, and their praise was high. I have no issues with it, and never have except the stock Spikes selector was garbage, and wobbled like a Recruit on Black Friday. So i swapped it for an LMT selector and havent had an issue.
The PSA upper i chose for similar reasons. The waiting time was extraordinarily long with multiple delays including having it sent to the wrong address, but so far since i got it (two days ago and only a magazine of rounds) it seems like quality. As soon as possible i will be putting a few hundred rounds through it while me and my friend go through USMC table 2, 3, and 4 on our own and i will report back on PSA quality.
I have found the UBR to be the most utilitarian of all stocks. It is unbelievably robust, even moreso than a fixed stock. The extra weight can be negative, but it also serves to balance the rifle out better. The storage is useful for essential pieces of gear, and the solid lockup makes for great stock weld. In the storage compartment i have ear plugs, batteries, lube and allen keys for tightening anything on the rifle if need be.
I chose the 12 oclock light mount because i wanted something that didnt get in the way of the sides of the rifle, especially when moving around corners, and this was the natural choice. The 12 oclock style of ligt mounting protects the light, keeps it out of the way, and provides definite clearance over or around obstacles for the light while firing.
To keep weight down, with modularity up, i chose a lighter weight threaded barrel with a magpul setup. I also for the first time placed my VFG far out on the hadguard to use the thumb break method and place my hand close to my light. The empty handguard space behind the VFG serves as a place for a more conventional grip when needed.
The VCAS sling has been my main sling since 2007. I always hated the issued 3 point slings, and found my answer with this one. It provides the user with the means to comfortably carry and manipulate the rifle without extra junk in the way like a 3 point. It also keeps the rifle from banging into ones knees and legs like a single point. I can, however, use the useful receiver mount on the UBR with the front of the sling to turn it into a quasi-single point style sling if needed. The rear sling mounts to the opposite side of the rifle which enables me to transition to my weak side without strangling myself.
For the longest time i was adament about sticking with A2 pistol grips, but i noticed that when quickly grabbing the weapon, i would over extend my trigger finger resulting in improper finger placement. I sought to lengthen my hands length of pull, and chose the MIAD grip because it was modular. I currently have a samson field survivor in the grip for emergency field use. My other AR has a spare bolt, cam pin, and firing pin in its core.
The Matech BUIS is cheap, easy to use, and im used to it, so it was a natural choice.

I like it!

How do you like the TA33 with the fixed front sight? Is it distracting?

I love the TA33. I have used every different ACOG model and have found this one to be the most all around versatile. The lightweight of it combined with the low magnification and long eye relief makes it outstandingly (word?) adaptable. I have had no trouble shooting it at extreme close range, or medium ranges of 200 yards. Having shot the TA31 extensively at 500 yards, i dont think it would much harder with the TA33.
The LaRue mount enables me to quickly remove my optic and use irons, and quickly switch back without losing zero. I actually do this alot and have never had a problem.
As far as the fixed front sight, it is visible... but not distracting. If i try to look for it and the flashlight they appear as some shadowing at the bottom of the FOV, but if i otherwise ignore them, they dont affect my marksmanship.
I have tried red dot optics and dont like them one bit. Batteries and on/off switches dont attract me, and i like magnification. I also like being able to shoot at any range accurately, not just aim high when using a dot.

Quentin
06-29-12, 18:24
Love it--purely utilitarian :)

I have to agree, a perfect fighting rifle. Nice build!

I know it's a small thing compared to your major components but I really like the Matech as BUIS. I'm surprised we don't see more of them these days - lightweight, folds down flat yet still has ranging adjustments built in. You can get them cheap too.

masakari
06-29-12, 21:22
I have to agree, a perfect fighting rifle. Nice build!

I know it's a small thing compared to your major components but I really like the Matech as BUIS. I'm surprised we don't see more of them these days - lightweight, folds down flat yet still has ranging adjustments built in. You can get them cheap too.

Thank you. And i do agree, i have used them extensively and prefer no other iron sight. The only downside to them is the fragile and unique mounting screw, although there are some mods for that.

drrufo
06-30-12, 00:10
I have pretty much the same rifle, different upper. This question is not aimed at the OP, but how is this rifle better than a so called "Frankengun"? All my rifles are a mix of parts, some are name parts, some aren't. Are they all considered FGs or do certain "name" parts not earn the title?

Quentin
06-30-12, 01:10
Thank you. And i do agree, i have used them extensively and prefer no other iron sight. The only downside to them is the fragile and unique mounting screw, although there are some mods for that.

Yep, the first time I cranked on a Matech I snapped the hex head right off that flimsy screw! Had to go to Home Depot and find a 6-32 machine screw to hold the sight on until I found something better.

Quentin
06-30-12, 01:15
I have pretty much the same rifle, different upper. This question is not aimed at the OP, but how is this rifle better than a so called "Frankengun"? All my rifles are a mix of parts, some are name parts, some aren't. Are they all considered FGs or do certain "name" parts not earn the title?

It all depends on the parts selected and how they work together. If they're well chosen like the OPs you might call it a best of breed or custom build but if the parts are chosen willy-nilly and slapped together then it's a Frankengun. Remember how Igor went about dragging back parts to the good doctor? Especially Abby Normal? :laugh:

rob_s
06-30-12, 06:48
Good to see the TA33 gettin some love. Still my favorite optic as well.

masakari
06-30-12, 08:41
Yep, the first time I cranked on a Matech I snapped the hex head right off that flimsy screw! Had to go to Home Depot and find a 6-32 machine screw to hold the sight on until I found something better.

I did it once too, and at the time it was my only one that i had, so i had to drill it out and fit a screw because i couldnt find one that fit.after that i had an oppurtunity to pick up some for next to nothing, and i got 6. Between me and my friends, this is the last one left.

Good to see the TA33 gettin some love. Still my favorite optic as well.

ACOGs in general are my favorite optics. The TA33 is all around my favorite, but i do very much like the TA31 and TA11 for their intended purposes as well. My other Carbine has a TA31 mounted, and I want to make another rifle with a TA11 sometime in the near future. Im also patiently awaiting for Trijicon to release their Scout Scope for my M1A.

hikeeba
06-30-12, 09:56
Nice rifle/setup and good write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put together this thread, masakari.

SteveL
06-30-12, 12:08
Nice looking rifle. Thanks for the explanation behind your parts selection.

Striker
06-30-12, 12:38
Nice. Seems like you thought it out before building. Out of curiosity, why magpul handguards instead of a rail? If you covered this and I missed it, I apologize. Just curious if there's a reason, even if it's just that you prefer them.

masakari
06-30-12, 22:10
Nice. Seems like you thought it out before building. Out of curiosity, why magpul handguards instead of a rail? If you covered this and I missed it, I apologize. Just curious if there's a reason, even if it's just that you prefer them.

great question. rails are very useful for mounting accessories to a solid platform, but for a general purpose rifle with few attachments, they serve me little purpose. my rifle only has a light, grip, and sling mount attatched, and i do not need four rails as they all can mount to the Magpul MOE which is lighter, and cheaper. i am actually in the process of converting my other carbine to a very similar config as this one shown, and i will post a picture and information when i do.
So rails definitely have a place, mainly for builds utilizing precision accessories, or without a standard FSB. Otherwise, just just raise cost, weight, and bulk.

Quentin
06-30-12, 23:42
great question. rails are very useful for mounting accessories to a very solid platform, but for a general purpose rifle with few attachments, they serve me little purpose. as my rifle only has a light, grip, and sling mount attatched, i do not need four rails as they all can mount to the Magpul MOE which is lighter, and cheaper. i am actually in the process of converting my other carbine to a very similar config as this one shown, and i will post a picture and information when i do.

I couldn't agree more, I used MOEs on my last two builds and can't see any need to replace them.

kisskaren
07-01-12, 00:45
Wow what a nice looking AR, hope I have a same one.

rob_s
07-01-12, 07:13
So rails definitely have a place, mainly for builds utilizing precision accessories, or without a standard FSB. Otherwise, just just raise cost, weight, and bulk.

This is a pretty common misconception. There are a variety of free-float handguards that are actually lighter than the stock parts they replace, and you don't have to be a precision shooter to take advantage of the free-float aspect of a handguard. In Kyle Lamb's class he demonstrates how relatively little pressure it takes on the barrel to shift POI, and any pressure on the MOE can be transferred to the barrel.

I use MOE handguards on loaner guns. I use 4-rail, free-float handguards on my personal guns.

masakari
07-01-12, 08:21
This is a pretty common misconception. There are a variety of free-float handguards that are actually lighter than the stock parts they replace, and you don't have to be a precision shooter to take advantage of the free-float aspect of a handguard. In Kyle Lamb's class he demonstrates how relatively little pressure it takes on the barrel to shift POI, and any pressure on the MOE can be transferred to the barrel.

I use MOE handguards on loaner guns. I use 4-rail, free-float handguards on my personal guns.

Yes it is true that some quadrails are lighter than handguards, but after the addition of rail covers sometimes not. They are also expensive, and require installation. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.
As far as free float vs non free float, US Marines shoot 500 yards every day with the M16A4 utiliting a tight loop sling and a non free float barrel, and we hit a man size target at that distance with ease. Not saying that it doesnt help to have a freefloat rail, but surely it is not necessary.

rob_s
07-01-12, 08:59
I didn't expect to change your mind, simply wanted to expand the discussion for others reading the thread.

masakari
07-01-12, 09:54
I didn't expect to change your mind, simply wanted to expand the discussion for others reading the thread.

Neither did i... just providing a counter argument.

Failure2Stop
07-01-12, 12:37
As far as free float vs non free float, US Marines shoot 500 yards every day with the M16A4 utiliting a tight loop sling and a non free float barrel, and we hit a man size target at that distance with ease. Not saying that it doesnt help to have a freefloat rail, but surely it is not necessary.

True, but the USMC Rifle Team shoots to a measurably higher degree of accuracy, and they do use a free floating handguard.

Excerpt from an earlier post on FF railed handguards:

When it comes to rails, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself:

1: Do I need to freefloat or not?
This is not just a matter of increased precision potentail, but of a few different applications. If you plan on doing sling-tension supported positions with optics or barrel mounted iron sights, barricade shooting, shooting from bipods, or externally supported positions, having a floating handguard system will permit you to hit what you are pointing your gun at without having to suffer barrel flex/disturbed harmonics issues.

If you are mounting an aiming device to your HG (usually seen with IR lasers), it can be a good thing to have a barrel joined handguard as the laser will stay in alignment with the bore across different lateral forces far better than a free-float will.

2: Do I need rails?
The obvious reason for rails is to mount stuff to your handguard, but most earth-people rarely need to mount anything more than a light and vert grip, and in some instances, front sights and in even fewer instances, IR lasers. There are simple, effective ways to mount lights to standard handguards and the MagPul MOE HGs that don't require rails, as well as simple solutions to mount a light to the FSB, which require absolutely 0 modification of anything.

One nice thing about rails is the ability to use heat-shielding covers, which keep the handguard grippable far beyond most other configurations. Vertical grips also tend to work best on rails (unless using an MVG on a MOE HG), and are not at all a good idea on standard handguards.

Not everybody needs or wants free floating handguards, and that's fine, but the fact remains that it is far easier to disturb point of impact if the handguard is joined to the front end of the barrel.

Quentin
07-01-12, 18:38
Good information on both sides but I wonder if a workable solution like the MOE handguard and losing 1 MOA or less to FF handguards really makes much difference inside 100 yards.

masakari
07-01-12, 19:25
True, but the USMC Rifle Team shoots to a measurably higher degree of accuracy, and they do use a free floating handguard.

Excerpt from an earlier post on FF railed handguards:

Not everybody needs or wants free floating handguards, and that's fine, but the fact remains that it is far easier to disturb point of impact if the handguard is joined to the front end of the barrel.

Yes, absolutely. I agree that some rifles and carbines (and more importantly, shooters) do infact benefit greatly from a free float handguard. But for me, and these rifles, its not necessary. Whenever i build a precision long range rifle, then absolutely.

Good information on both sides but I wonder if a workable solution like the MOE handguard and losing 1 MOA or less to FF handguards really makes much difference inside 100 yards.
Thats my point. It can be a huge benefit to free float your barrel, but sometimes its just not absolutely necessary.

zx2man
07-01-12, 21:37
nice clean looking kiss rig you got there.

ccarrier
07-08-12, 15:25
nice looking rifle.

masakari
07-09-12, 19:16
So i made a change, and a twin sister... i loved this config so much that i cloned it with my carbine. I edited my original post, check it out!

indawire
07-09-12, 19:48
And those stealth bags they are in are by who:confused: Nice build, very close to what I put together so I'm prejudiced.

masakari
07-09-12, 20:01
And those stealth bags they are in are by who:confused: Nice build, very close to what I put together so I'm prejudiced.

The blue one is the old LaRue covert case, and the red one is hand made by the man who designed the covert case for LaRue. It was originally designed to hold a 20" rifle that i no longer have.
I love these cases, but i would like to get the new covert case for my next rifle.

af22raptor
07-10-12, 12:59
The blue one is the old LaRue covert case, and the red one is hand made by the man who designed the covert case for LaRue. It was originally designed to hold a 20" rifle that i no longer have.
I love these cases, but i would like to get the new covert case for my next rifle.

Does the man that made the red one have a website or have them available for purchase? I am very interested in getting one.

Great Build!

masakari
07-10-12, 13:30
He is a member here, but unfortunately i no longer have the PMs or his screen name. I posted about it in the gear section and he messaged me with his offer to make me one, i suggest that you do the same.

tpd223
07-10-12, 23:13
What mag carrier is that in the pics?

masakari
07-11-12, 06:05
What mag carrier is that in the pics?

Its a bandoleer made by UW gear. In my opinion, the most useful method for carrying extra magazines for civilian applications. The pouch is absolutely excellent quality, and an awesome design. They also make chest rigs, pouches, and slings. They focus on AKs, ARs, and soon some .308 weapons.
They also can do a number of different colors and patterns, the ones i have pictured are ATACS-FG.
http://www.uwgearinc.com/

w.kyser
07-14-12, 00:07

When I first saw those stealth bags I thought they looked like horseshoe cases from Walmart. I used to work in the sporting goods department and during the summer we'd get sets in a case that looked like those.