PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust on my new P226... How to?

beschatten
06-29-12, 10:52
How do I remove the surface rust? I seriously picked this thing up 4 days ago and did not handle/fire it. Even has the QC tag on it.

It's only surface rust, I greased it up with CPL but it's not coming off. Btw, it's on the barrel only. Any tips?

KCabbage
06-29-12, 10:56
Some Flitz or something similar should do the job.

Microalign
06-29-12, 11:49
Regular, fine steel wool should take care of it. Flitz is pretty hard on finishes, and might be over-kill if the rust is minor.

If you've got a carbon slide Sig, then you definately need to keep it protected with something like Eezox or Weapon Shield. Eezox is going to be the best.

gtmtnbiker98
06-29-12, 12:16
I would keep the QC tag on it, contact Sig and demand a replacement. I would also amend the QC tag to read 'FAILED.'

Norinco
06-29-12, 14:44
Just the other day I noticed slight rust on the barrel of my X-five. It gets handled/shot often but is never without ample of lubrication.

DBZ220
06-29-12, 15:43
Every SIG I own, or was issued had some minor barrel rust of some sort. Even when lubed properly, the exposed part of the barrel would have some minor surface rust. This was a bigger issue in summer time or rain, heck the entire slide of my parkerized P220 would look like an old boat anchor after a traffic detail in the rain. I solved the problem via Robar and their NP3 finish. Otherwise just buff it off with a light abrasive cloth and CLP as mentioned. The barrels are just blued from the factory, even today they generally don't Nitron or put any rust resistant finish on their barrels unless specified as part of a Gov or Agency contract...

lunchbox
06-29-12, 15:45
Buy a Glock:D

mkmckinley
06-29-12, 16:19
I use CLP and a toothbrush to tackle surface rust. Sometimes it works better if the CLP is allowed to soak in overnight. If the toothbrush isn't enough then I upgrade to a green scratchy potscrubber pad or brass brush. I was under the impression that steel wool would imbed and cause more rust later.

I'd also contact SIG and see what they have to say about it.

arcticlightfighter
06-29-12, 16:36
Most all of my SIG's would turn brown at some point. Did not adversly affect the reliability of the pistols but was a PITA to maintain. Grip screws, slides, trigger and hammer would all be affected.

I tried several different finish options to no avail. I just worked harder at maintenance.

Slvr Surfr
06-29-12, 18:54
Buy a Glock:D

I carry mine under my armpit on duty on my vest everyday at work. Nary a spec of rust. :big_boss:

beschatten
06-29-12, 19:03
I took it back to the dealer and they said they would call them as a dealer and demand a replacement barrel. Hope it works out.

I plan on getting a 0000 Steel Wool and Hobbes #9 solvent to get rid of it. "To Hell and Back Reliability". Lol.

If the replacement barrel doesnt come through from Sig, I will call them.

I guess I'll have to look into NP3 Robar as well.

arcticlightfighter
06-29-12, 19:46
Arguably, the surface rust wont impair the reliability of the pistol.

I agree that if you bought it new in box and payed full retail as a collector piece that youre not going to be using as a duty or defense pistol, then you have cause for distress.

However, my coworkers SIG P226 9mm has about 20k through it, roughly 20 years old and has hardly any finish left on the carbon steel controls and turns brown when you look at it. Yet it chugs along without a hickup with minimal maintenance.

My suggestion is to shoot it hard and dont sweat the surface rust.

Urban_Redneck
06-29-12, 19:49
I find a an overnight soak in Kroil about the best for rust removal.

beschatten
06-29-12, 19:55
Soak it, meaning you actually have a pan full of that sh*t and you dip it? Or you spray wastefully and let it dry

beschatten
06-29-12, 19:57
Arguably, the surface rust wont impair the reliability of the pistol.

I agree that if you bought it new in box and payed full retail as a collector piece that youre not going to be using as a duty or defense pistol, then you have cause for distress.

However, my coworkers SIG P226 9mm has about 20k through it, roughly 20 years old and has hardly any finish left on the carbon steel controls and turns brown when you look at it. Yet it chugs along without a hickup with minimal maintenance.

My suggestion is to shoot it hard and dont sweat the surface rust.

If his barrel is brown it could just be residue staining from the copper jacketed bullets.

I'm just worried that the barrel will shatter if continues to rust.

SkiDevil
06-29-12, 20:46
How do I remove the surface rust? I seriously picked this thing up 4 days ago and did not handle/fire it. Even has the QC tag on it.

It's only surface rust, I greased it up with CPL but it's not coming off. Btw, it's on the barrel only. Any tips?

Posting a picture of the barrel or other rusted parts would be useful for those offering advice suggestions.

I have owned several Sigs, both the stainless steel side and the folded stamped slide models. If you use/ carry the pistol some type of rust may result. Even the tenifer Glock finish will rust if exposed to elements and not adequately maintained.

I have Sig 220 that was used heavily and put away without cleaning or wiping down. I cleaned off the rust and discoloration with a brush, clp, and Hopes 9.

I would'nt be overly concerned regarding a small amount of discoloration or rust. Now if the barrel/ bore inside is heavily rusted or pitted that is another matter.

A minimal amount of rust on the exterior of the pistol will not affect the performance or reliability of the weapon.

SkiDevil

Rinspeed
06-30-12, 00:17
Good God, after four days it can't more than a little surface rust. Clean it off and go shoot the damn thing. :confused:

rathos
06-30-12, 00:33
where the hell do you guys live that you get so much rust? I have owned and carried multiple sigs on duty and had to stand in the rain many a night and never had rust on my sigs. Maybe it is just because i use a lot of grease and oil.

Glad to hear your dealer is trying to take care of it for you, I have a feeling sig will take care of it.

Awesome1228
06-30-12, 00:40
I recently purchased a Sig 226, manufactured in 1993. The outside of the barrel has a minimal amount of discoloration. It functions just fine. I oiled it up, shot 500 rounds through it on day one of ownership with no problems. The minor surface discoloation means nothing. Yes, maintain it but no, dont sweat the small stuff.

sniperfrog
06-30-12, 18:41
I've seen Sigs that were orange and fuzzy all over but still ran just fine. Oiled them up and used a brush to scrub off the rust and they were good to go.

hunter_usmc
06-30-12, 18:51
Stainless steel pot scrubbers not the galvanized ones they will leave gray streaks they are a buck at the dollar store or you can pay $14.00 for the same thing at Brownells your choice they will not hurt bluing at all.:secret:

ra2bach
07-01-12, 08:14
If his barrel is brown it could just be residue staining from the copper jacketed bullets.

I'm just worried that the barrel will shatter if continues to rust.

WTF?

look. if it's a new barrel with a little surface rust, jut wipe it down with CLP. nothings gonna burst or shatter... :rolleyes: