PDA

View Full Version : ACE Hammer Stock: must durable stock ever?

Armadillo
06-29-12, 21:48
The ACE Hammer stock looks like the must durable stock out there.

Anyone have this?

http://riflestocks.com/store/product104.html

Better picture...
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/18/ace-hammer-offers-7-positions-and-a-skull-crusher/

Specs:

Four sling mount positions - 2 quick detach and 2 mounting points on gusset

Adjustable cheek rest

Precision machined from heat-treated 6061-T6 aluminium.
Finish - hard coat anodized black

7 position mil-spec buffer tube (included)

Lockable adjustment lever insures no accidental release or adjustment of the stock. The adjustment lever screw is machined from heat treated 8620 steel to absorb the recoil of heavier calibers

Buttstock position can be preset to desired length of pull

For extra length of pull, an ACE 1/2" or 1.0" recoil pad can be attached directly to the machined butt

Comes standard with aluminum buttplate

When breaching doors or when using the butt as a battle hammer, fully collapse the buttstock. The Hammer Buttstock is strongest in this position. Damage to the buffer tube can occur if stock is extended

Ambi sling mount/gusset with internal taper that reinforces the receiver estension tube and the receiver

Note: If the cheek rest is in a raised position, the weapon can be charged with the stock in the 6th or 7th position ONLY

KrampusArms
06-29-12, 21:59
For that price I would like 7075 aluminum instead.

sinlessorrow
06-29-12, 22:45
aluminum butt plate?....no thanks

GTifosi
06-29-12, 22:48
When breaching doors or when using the butt as a battle hammer, fully collapse the buttstock. The Hammer Buttstock is strongest in this position. Damage to the buffer tube can occur if stock is extended

Note: If the cheek rest is in a raised position, the weapon can be charged with the stock in the 6th or 7th position ONLY

You can use the rifle if the stock is in only in X or Y position if you want to use the cheek rest, but can only breach with it in Z position?

Those are failings, not features.

Armadillo
06-29-12, 22:53
The receiver extension tube that it comes combined with the Hammer Stock seem to make the whole set up very durable.

(M4-7 RET) ACE M4 7 Position Receiver Extension Tube and Gusset (Commercial Diameter)

The strongest MOD Stock available for the AR-15! Standard receiver extension tubes have exposed threads and keyway that create stress risers that reduce the strength. Features: 1. Patent pending, full rib, tapered receiver extension tube 2. Machined tapered gusset reinforces the lower receiver. 3. Adjustable screw in stops, allow repeat adjustment to the same position every time in any conditions. 4. Laser etched delineations ensure a visual confirmation of your stock adjustment. 5. Four sling positions. Includes blue steel 1.25” sling mount. 6. Seven positions for the perfect fit.

http://riflestocks.com/store/product101.html

cz7
06-29-12, 22:59
blocky and bulky ......its not smooth lined

KrampusArms
06-29-12, 23:19
Isn't a commercial extension weaker? If this stocks selling point is strength, why wouldn't they use a mil-spec diameter?

This product seems to me, to just be a big gimmick. If I had to breach something, I wouldn't use my buttstock.

Target audience/purchasers I see as being gear queers, or folks who want to balance out a front heavy rifle.

mkmckinley
06-29-12, 23:42
Answer in search of a problem. No breaching procedure I've seen, heard of, or can imagine involves using a carbine buttstock. They make hammers, pry bars, Haligan tools, det cord etc for that. I've also never broken a standard issue buttstock but I have seen M16A2 stocks broken and they broke at the buffer tube. I just don't see a market for this thing. It looks like it would be heavier than a stock needs to be and kind of pricey.

edit: This is just an observation, I don't have any first hand experience with this product so please take the above for what it's worth.

SomeOtherGuy
06-30-12, 08:12
Isn't a commercial extension weaker? If this stocks selling point is strength, why wouldn't they use a mil-spec diameter?

This product seems to me, to just be a big gimmick. If I had to breach something, I wouldn't use my buttstock.

Target audience/purchasers I see as being gear queers, or folks who want to balance out a front heavy rifle.

The tube is nonstandard, has a full length rib and is probably (?) stronger than the best milspec tubes. Probably maybe.

Looking at the price and weight, I think Magpul's UBR is a more compelling approach, with a much better latch design.

Always nice to see innovation, but I agree this doesn't seem to offer much for real world use.

JStor
06-30-12, 08:42
My take is that it's foolish to use your weapon to pound on things. It reminds me of those old westerns that show the character using his sixgun butt to drive nails. Apparently convenience trumps common sense.

Bluedreaux
06-30-12, 11:26
If someone decides to breach a door with the butt of an AR they deserve a broken gun. This stock is gonna either break or reinforce stupid behavior. Lose / Lose either way.

Duffy
06-30-12, 13:57
When will we see breaching tool that can shoot? :jester:

pira114
07-01-12, 01:58
I just like the term BATTLE HAMMER. But I have a Craftsman hammer for that and it only cost $20

robm
07-01-12, 02:20
gotta love marketing. I have NO need to breach a door with my rifle

KCBRUIN
07-01-12, 07:50
Seems like an AD/ND waiting to happen. I'll pass.