PDA

View Full Version : Are these acceptable M4 barrel cuts?

red_star_republic
06-29-12, 23:59
I had M4 barrel cuts added to my barrel to match the receiver by a reputable company.

It just doesn't look right to me - I was wondering if there are any experts on barrel cuts out there willing to share their opinion.

I came across this old thread and it had some good examples and mine did not seem to fit anywhere - Link: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=431434
Bushmaster barrel and CMT keyhole upper receiver.

Worried I might need a new barrel extension

Thanks

Pictures:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o577/street_soldier/IMG_4880.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o577/street_soldier/IMG_4880.jpg

Tweak
06-30-12, 00:52
normally I'd answer but no doubt some one will come along and demand that you do a search first.

Quentin
06-30-12, 01:28
They'll probably work all right but no doubt whoever did that could have done a better job. Cuts like that used to be fairly common but these days we expect a better job.

red_star_republic
06-30-12, 01:38
normally I'd answer but no doubt some one will come along and demand that you do a search first.

Go ahead and fire off a response - I'm loking for feedback.

I'm upset because I'm building my first rifle and this is what I get after I spend a total of $140 on barrel work.

KrampusArms
06-30-12, 01:59
Go ahead and fire off a response - I'm loking for feedback.

I'm upset because I'm building my first rifle and this is what I get after I spend a total of $140 on barrel work.

I'll give you feedback. It looks sort of wide & flared out. Not your usual ramp, but I bet it will be highly functional. M4 feed ramps are actually not super critical to have.

Where the hell is your gas tube?! Thats what I'd worry about more.

spamsammich
06-30-12, 03:09
Those cuts will likely be fine but I'd be more worried about how well the extension is clocked and the gas port dimension. I'm willing to bet that it will end up being a bit over-gassed. Build it up and report back after you've shot it.

polymorpheous
06-30-12, 05:00
I'm pretty sure the pictures are just a mock up.
Gas tube and delta ring are missing.

OP, if the feedramps from the upper transition to the feedramps in the barrel extension smoothly, you should be fine.

May I ask, what other services were performed on this barrel for the $130?

MistWolf
06-30-12, 05:55

The proper thing to do is contact the vendor that performed the machine work to find out how they will resolve the issue. Telling Red Star to do a search will only help by finding the photos that show how the ramps should look

mtdawg169
06-30-12, 07:45
Personally, I'd be pretty pissed about that. The one on the right side is jacked up. Why didn't you just start out with a barrel with proper feed ramps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Coach z
06-30-12, 08:08
That is some really ugly machine work. Functional or not I'd be looking for the company to do it over.

wahoo95
06-30-12, 08:14
Why didn't you just start out with a barrel with proper feed ramps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I had the same thought. You coulda bought a new PSA or Spikes barrel for what you spent on that labor. OR you coulda sold your Bushy barrel and combined the proceeds with what you spent on labor and gotten a nice DD or Centurion barrel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Failure2Stop
06-30-12, 08:37
They're ugly, but should work.