PDA

View Full Version : 2000 round challenge in training class?

SpyderMan2k4
06-30-12, 01:34
Ive been interested in doing the 2000 round challenge, by next weekend ill be at 1k. Next weekend im taking my first class with vickers, which is a 1000 round class.

On one hand, if the gun makes it through 2k, half of which in a class, that would certainly prove itself. However, if i werent doing the challenge, id feel better about keepin it clean and well lubed. I guess i want to be sure i get the most out of the class, but then again even if i have any malfunctions, thats probably the place to have them.

Thoughts? Thanks!

lunchbox
06-30-12, 01:52
Ive been interested in doing the 2000 round challenge, by next weekend ill be at 1k. Next weekend im taking my first class with vickers, which is a 1000 round class.

On one hand, if the gun makes it through 2k, half of which in a class, that would certainly prove itself. However, if i werent doing the challenge, id feel better about keepin it clean and well lubed. I guess i want to be sure i get the most out of the class, but then again even if i have any malfunctions, thats probably the place to have them.

Thoughts? Thanks!

?? What kind of gun are we talkin about here.

SpyderMan2k4
06-30-12, 02:10
5" xd9 (try not to flame too much) ;)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

lunchbox
06-30-12, 02:18
5" xd9 (try not to flame too much) ;)

I was just wondering why you were having doubts about your pistol. How long have you had it? Have you ever had any problems out of it? Or is internet gossip got you worried.

SpyderMan2k4
06-30-12, 02:25
Oh i dont have doubts. While many here dont like xds (which is fine), ive had good success with them. Ive had this particular one a little over a year and have 1500 through it with no issues (i realize thats not many, but i have lots of guns that need attention :)) im completely unphased by internet gossip, especially with these guns. If i have issues with something ive got no problems ditching it. But im not gonna abandon guns that have worked well for me.

I wasnt asking because i was worried, moreso just curious of the thoughts of the forum (regardless of what pistol it might be)

lunchbox
06-30-12, 02:42
Cool, enjoy your first class (wish my first class had been a Vickers!). Take plenty water, its hot out there. And remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast", I still have to tell myelf that when I start trying to shoot faster than skill level:stop:

okie john
06-30-12, 11:14
I've done the 2k Challenge on a couple of guns. One of them was a TigerSwan G17 with a Wilson barrel, and I wanted to verify its reliability with a match barel. The 2k Challenge is an interesting look at what modern designs can do but it's been done enough that the point has been made. I'm not sure that I'll ever do it again.

I also think that LAV might tell you to put some lube on your pistol.

Okie John

SpyderMan2k4
07-02-12, 15:36
I think ill just give it a try and see how it goes. If i run into major issues in class ill abandon the challenge, but ill keep at it till then. Earlier today i cleaned and lubed it for the challenge. I just finished putting a hard 450 rounds through it with no problem. We will see how it holds up in high heat and high round count days

lunchbox
07-12-12, 22:21
Hey SpyderMan, how did class go?

SpyderMan2k4
07-14-12, 21:45
The class was superb. LAV is a heck of an instructor (I did a short AAR in the training section. I didn't go into details- many other AARs do a better job than I ever could, and the classes incorporate many of the same drills, etc. I did, however, mention a few things in particular that stood out to me).

As far as the challenge and the class. A week before the class I cleaned my pistol pretty thoroughly and lubed it with a little 5w30. Throughout that week, I made three range trips, shooting 450, 300, and 200 rounds respectively, giving me a total of 950 problem free rounds (I wanted to iron out a few things before class, and I'm glad I did!) Each range trip lasted between 1 and 2 hours with high temperatures. That is to say, the gun certainly wasn't babied, and I ran it at a decent pace. By the end of the trips, even the trigger was getting pretty warm.

I couldn't be happier with it's performance in the class itself. I read two descriptions on the class, one said it required 1000 rounds, the other said 800. On TDI I shot 341 rounds, on TD2 was 310 rounds, so a bit lower than expected at 651 rounds. There were no stoppages, malfunctions or breakages through the class- it couldn't have run smoother. I haven't been to the range since, so it's sitting pretty (dirty) at 1601 without a hiccup, and I've got no reason to think it won't go considerably further.

lunchbox
07-14-12, 21:54
The class was superb. LAV is a heck of an instructor (I did a short AAR in the training section. I didn't go into details- many other AARs do a better job than I ever could, and the classes incorporate many of the same drills, etc. I did, however, mention a few things in particular that stood out to me).

As far as the challenge and the class. A week before the class I cleaned my pistol pretty thoroughly and lubed it with a little 5w30. Throughout that week, I made three range trips, shooting 450, 300, and 200 rounds respectively, giving me a total of 950 problem free rounds (I wanted to iron out a few things before class, and I'm glad I did!) Each range trip lasted between 1 and 2 hours with high temperatures. That is to say, the gun certainly wasn't babied, and I ran it at a decent pace. By the end of the trips, even the trigger was getting pretty warm.

I couldn't be happier with it's performance in the class itself. I read two descriptions on the class, one said it required 1000 rounds, the other said 800. On TDI I shot 341 rounds, on TD2 was 310 rounds, so a bit lower than expected at 651 rounds. There were stoppages, malfunctions or breakages through the class- it couldn't have run smoother. I haven't been to the range since, so it's sitting pretty (dirty) at 1601 without a hiccup, and I've got no reason to think it won't go considerably further.
Glad to hear class went well! Now it's time for IDPA:meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBCxUMkIyAE&feature=related

SpyderMan2k4
07-14-12, 22:10
Actually, IDPA and USPSA are both in the works :)

Endur
07-14-12, 22:15
This makes me miss my xd. Though not the best but sure isn't the worst, I never doubted them. Nice to hear it handled well.

lunchbox
07-14-12, 22:16
Actually, IDPA and USPSA are both in the works :)
Good stuff man:cool:

gtmtnbiker98
07-15-12, 09:25
Cool, enjoy your first class (wish my first class had been a Vickers!). Take plenty water, its hot out there. And remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast", I still have to tell myelf that when I start trying to shoot faster than skill level:stop:

You mean slow is slow and fast is fast, right?

SpyderMan2k4
07-15-12, 15:23
You mean slow is slow and fast is fast, right?

I think there are merits to both trains of thought, but both sides usually exaggerate the point. I picture that phrase as saying "dont go too fast for your own good." At other times it makes me think "slow and steady wins the race... unless its a real race"

mick610
07-16-12, 08:42
And then there is that old rumor about gunfights that says if you shoot first, hit first, you have a real good chance of winning...

Speed does make a difference!

It's been said: Speed is fine, accuracy is final. BUT, you need to be the FIRST shooter!!!

SpyderMan2k4
07-16-12, 17:22
You need to be the first HITTER. Being the first shooter definitely helps your chances though :)