PDA

View Full Version : No Sunscreen For You!

3 AE
06-30-12, 05:56
Another head shaking, face palm example of a lack of common sense from people who should know better. How in the hell does this insanity get a foothold? Maybe some of you with children in school or at camp will comment if this policy is as widespread as the article makes it out to be.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-06-27/sunscreen-policies/55877080/1

chuckman
06-30-12, 06:20
I would have their ass on a platter.

My wife's family is Swedish, mine Finnish. Our blonde-haired little sub-Arctic knee-knockers get sunburned in the winter, at night. We put sunscreen on them all the time and they still manage to get some sunburn.

It is a huge health and safety issue.

Eurodriver
06-30-12, 09:41
I grew up outside, in Florida, in the summer from Sicilian heritage. I remember (and still get) faint sunburns around February at the end of winter and then I am fine for the rest of the year.

Reading stories like this are hard for me to understand, but its simply because I have no perspective on these things. I have always grown up looking at the kids who wore sunscreen like their parents were "worry warts"

I mean no harm by this, just that is how I grew up. Obviously as I've gotten older I have seen really damaging sunburns that fairer skinned people get. (Specifically, all the Polish guys at Parris Island - their heads were FRIED)

Edit: ....the girl's name is VIOLET? ...irony?

theblackknight
06-30-12, 12:45
This is not a medical issue.

This is blind adherance to the ever growning list of Zero Tolerance bans that have taken any kind of maturity or temper of true leadership/critical thinking out of the public school system's cadre of poorly trained babysitters.

I will slightly agree with Euro in that of the things out there, people seem to be a little too paranoid about skin cancer.

chadbag
06-30-12, 12:55
I will slightly agree with Euro in that of the things out there, people seem to be a little too paranoid about skin cancer.

Not too paranoid when you know people suffering from it. My dad grew up without sunscreen or anything and now has to get quarterly checks by the doctor and they regularly find new malignant skin cancers, as well as non malignant skin growths and he has to have them removed. He had some really ugly ones that left a valley on his head 1/2-3/4 inch deep and 4 or 5 inches long. After it healed it is now only a slight depression. That was several years ago. We lived in an apartment in their house at the time and I was in charge of washing it out 1 or 2x a day with hydrogen peroxide and dressing it as it healed.

In the last week or two he had a malignant skin cancer on his forehead removed (left a sore about the size of a dime) and several non malignant tumors removed from his head and other parts of his body.

Some people are more susceptible than others, but as we learn more about it, we find everyone has some susceptibility (even the "brothers") and it is something that a little effort at protecting the skin can help avoid.

Having said that, there is benefit to going out daily for 30 min unprotected to get your daily Vit D dose.

--

Abraxas
06-30-12, 13:01
We live in the age of insanity.

Belmont31R
06-30-12, 13:45
Ive had two growth removed. Not cancer but caused by sun damage, and have to get a yearly full body check by a dermatologist.

If you have "olive skin" you're a lot less likely to get skin cancer. Im dutch/polish blue eyed blonde. I can get a sunburn looking at a picture of the sun.

3 AE
06-30-12, 15:11
Ive had two growth removed. Not cancer but caused by sun damage, and have to get a yearly full body check by a dermatologist.

If you have "olive skin" you're a lot less likely to get skin cancer. Im dutch/polish blue eyed blonde. I can get a sunburn looking at a picture of the sun.

I think you edged out chuckman's Swedish/Finnish children and the winter midnight sunburn, but just barely! :D

jklaughrey
06-30-12, 16:28
Thank God I'm "black Irish". Olive skin has saved my ass. I get a nice tan early on and then get darker as the season progresses. But I do wear sunblock if I am going to be out for prolonged hours with less clothing coverage. My only drawback is my eyes are sensitive to light so sunglasses are a must from sunrise to sunset. But I do have great night vision.

For those with skin growths and cancer issues, is there a hereditary predisposition for those problems? I'd think if one had a higher level risk you should have been taking preventative measures early on.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
06-30-12, 20:13
I had a great-grandmother die from melanoma and have had shit cut off me. So yeah, the danger is real.

TomMcC
06-30-12, 21:08
Is this the result of a sue happy society? Are we our own worst enemies?

og556
06-30-12, 21:17
Skin cancer is nothing to **** with. I very recently had a biopsyfor it What I ended up having removed were moderately atypical cells but this has heightened my awareness. Im 26 years old.

Btw my parents are both middle eastern and the last two years I've been working indoors. I never would have thought I could get this.

3 AE
07-01-12, 00:19
Is this the result of a sue happy society? Are we our own worst enemies?

That could vey well be the explanation why school boards are so anal beyond belief. Only takes one case to throw the train off the track. My thanks to all the members who have given their personal accounts on how serious this could be. Hopefully we can find out from more members if certain school boards are putting their children at risk with this inane policy. I find it ironic that the article states that California is the only state to pass a law to allow their students to bring sunscreen to school. Can that possibly be true?

montanadave
07-01-12, 07:38
Not too paranoid when you know people suffering from it. My dad grew up without sunscreen or anything and now has to get quarterly checks by the doctor and they regularly find new malignant skin cancers, as well as non malignant skin growths and he has to have them removed. He had some really ugly ones that left a valley on his head 1/2-3/4 inch deep and 4 or 5 inches long. After it healed it is now only a slight depression. That was several years ago. We lived in an apartment in their house at the time and I was in charge of washing it out 1 or 2x a day with hydrogen peroxide and dressing it as it healed.

In the last week or two he had a malignant skin cancer on his forehead removed (left a sore about the size of a dime) and several non malignant tumors removed from his head and other parts of his body.

Some people are more susceptible than others, but as we learn more about it, we find everyone has some susceptibility (even the "brothers") and it is something that a little effort at protecting the skin can help avoid.

Having said that, there is benefit to going out daily for 30 min unprotected to get your daily Vit D dose.

--

Ditto that for my dad. Grew up along the ocean, tons of sun as a kid, played a lot of golf over the years without a hat or a shirt, and has spent the last twenty years having a Mohs surgeon carve on him like a Thanksgiving turkey. It is never ending ... and expensive. And, as the family nurse, I've changed my share of dressings, too.

As for the school sunscreen issue, it seems like a ridiculous policy but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the policy originated when some other parent sued the shit out of their school district. At one point or another. a teacher or nurse gave some kid a ****ing aspirin or slathered on some bug juice or sunscreen and that kid turned out to be the one in a thousand that had some type of adverse reaction. Then a shit storm ensued, everybody overreacted, common sense went out the window, and here we are.

The school's can't win. They are literally damned if they do and damned if they don't because for every parent yelling, "How dare you do 'X' with my child" there is another parent screaming, "we didn't you take care of 'Y' for my kid?" Then they lawyer up and go looking for some money but, of course, it's never about the money. It's always about "what's best for the children." :fie:

Belmont31R
07-03-12, 22:06
Ditto that for my dad. Grew up along the ocean, tons of sun as a kid, played a lot of golf over the years without a hat or a shirt, and has spent the last twenty years having a Mohs surgeon carve on him like a Thanksgiving turkey. It is never ending ... and expensive. And, as the family nurse, I've changed my share of dressings, too.

As for the school sunscreen issue, it seems like a ridiculous policy but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the policy originated when some other parent sued the shit out of their school district. At one point or another. a teacher or nurse gave some kid a ****ing aspirin or slathered on some bug juice or sunscreen and that kid turned out to be the one in a thousand that had some type of adverse reaction. Then a shit storm ensued, everybody overreacted, common sense went out the window, and here we are.

The school's can't win. They are literally damned if they do and damned if they don't because for every parent yelling, "How dare you do 'X' with my child" there is another parent screaming, "we didn't you take care of 'Y' for my kid?" Then they lawyer up and go looking for some money but, of course, it's never about the money. It's always about "what's best for the children." :fie:

Actually agree with you...but only because every child is a budding flower, and no one wants to admit their kid is the 1 in 1000 who gets in a bad reaction from sun screen. Instead the 999 other kids have to suffer because flower might choke and die due to a reaction.

Just another example of our litigious society. The lowest common denominator is constantly being reduced.

chuckman
07-05-12, 15:53
I think you edged out chuckman's Swedish/Finnish children and the winter midnight sunburn, but just barely! :D

...and I have had melanoma on my back. Now THAT's not a contest I care to win.