PDA

View Full Version : New DPMS double tap trigger

Suwannee Tim
06-30-12, 09:13
I was on the range yesterday and a fellow insisted I shoot his DPMS AR (which was sporting a nice Nightforce scope). I squeezed the trigger, bang!, released the trigger, bang! "How odd" I thought. Again, squeezed the trigger, bang!, released the trigger, bang! I fired the gun twelve times with six pulls and six releases of the trigger. I told him the gun was defective but he said no it was fine. If it is not defective it must have been designed that way. A double tap trigger. He took the gun back and fired it fifty or sixty shots, went away with a big grin on his face.

snekrz
06-30-12, 09:24
I do believe the ATF frowns on that type of trigger actuation. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the definition of a semi auto one round per trigger PULL?

GTifosi
06-30-12, 10:17
Yes, 'once per pull', though there is the gray area in regard to gatling/crank type function as while it can fire at multiple points per rotation its acceptable because you can deliberately control the ROF.

Theoretically a 'double tap' trigger could be seen in simular light as while it will send two, it'll only do it at a pace determined deliberately by the shooter.
(though why one would ever want to be absolutely commited to a 2nd shot every time the trigger was pulled is beyond me)

All that being said, dude at the range simply had a improperly assembled and/or broke-ass POS and wasn't bright enough to know it.

everyusernametaken
06-30-12, 10:39
Yeah, having no way to cancel the 2nd shot is ridiculous. I can only imagine the disconnector is releasing the hammer before the sear is engaged.

wetidlerjr
06-30-12, 10:47
...A double tap trigger. He took the gun back and fired it fifty or sixty shots, went away with a big grin on his face.

The old saying is still true, "You can't fix stupid." :laugh:

Dionysusigma
06-30-12, 13:03
Odd way to reduce magazine capacity by 50%...:confused:

TomMcC
06-30-12, 13:13
I do believe the ATF frowns on that type of trigger actuation. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the definition of a semi auto one round per trigger PULL?

See this is where you're unclear on the concept. One round is being fired on the PULL.....and one round on the RELEASE....see the difference. For sure this passes ATF muster.

Eric
06-30-12, 15:44
The owner is a fool. The weapon is malfunctioning and is unsafe. More often than not, this is a disconnector issue and an easy fix.

krisjon
06-30-12, 15:51
Something from DPMS that doesn't work right? Never would have expected that. :rolleyes:

Wiggity
06-30-12, 16:07
****ing retarded :no:

MistWolf
06-30-12, 16:53
1) The FCG is defective
2) In this condition, it is also a violation of the law

Suwannee Tim
06-30-12, 17:57
I got some ammusement out of it, I thought you guys would too. I have shot something similar on a shotgun, they call it a release trigger, it is used in trap competition. Every other discipline I am familiar with, Bullseye, Service Rifle, et cetera bans the release trigger. I am sure you guys are right, the "double tap trigger" is a violation of Federal law as well.

I had another rewarding experience Friday. This gent shows up and as soon as he got out of his car I got the strong impression he thinks he is better than me, a lot better than me. Now, I don't pretend I have some kind of ability to read men's minds and he may be better than me, maybe even a lot better than me though I'm not sure how he would know that, not knowing me from Adam's house cat. Any way he sure seemed like he knowed it and the impression in my mind grew and grew over the next hour. First thing, he prepared his target and immediately began looking at me with annoyed impatience. I'm pretty easy to get along with so I immediately cleared up my rifle and let him go down range. He hauls out this Mossberg 22 caliber AR and begins shooting it into the 50 yard bunker on the 200 yard range. He had not one word to say to me for the whole hour. A couple of other guys showed up and needed to go down and this gentleman got ready to go down so I again immediately cleared it up. They all went down and he came back and asked me if he could take his rifle off the line. I told him the line was clear and men were down range and he shouldn't touch his rifle. After a minute or so, he said to himself "aw, come on!" Knowing what the problem was I asked anyway. He said "How long does it take to put up a couple of targets?" referring to the two men still downrange. I was ready:D! I said "This is a 200 yard range where men come to shoot high powered rifles at long range. We have a 50 yard bunker for sighting in and sometimes pussies show up to shoot their girlyman rifles which is fine. If we are inconveniencing you by walking 400 yards to check targets on a 200 yard range you might want to consider using the 100 yard range next door. That's where the pussies and assholes usually go to shoot their girlyman guns and I'm sure you would fit right in. Until then I suggest you sit your fat ass down in that chair and wait until these men get back." Which is just what he did.:D I don't think we will see him again on the 200.:D:D

Failure2Stop
06-30-12, 18:59
1) The FCG is defective
2) In this condition, it is also a violation of the law

Yup

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2