PDA

View Full Version : Matching practice load with HD load?

greatnw
06-30-12, 14:04
I hope I'm putting this in the right area, if not feel free to move or l can re-post.

I'm almost finished with my first AR build, a 16" BCM Middy. It will be primaraly a HD weapon after I have obtained proper training with it. In anticipation I've got a good stock of M193 ammo for said training and have been researching HD ammo. I would like to purchase the HD ammo now so I can make sure it runs properly in the gun and because ammo seems to be harder and harder to come by. After reading most all of DocGKR's threads on 5.56 loads I came to the conclusion that Hornady 75gr OTM or something similar would fit my needs perfectly as an effective targer stopper inside my home with barrier penetration not necessary or wanted.

My question is, do I need to be concerned with POA/POI shift at or under 25yrds(most likely 10yrds or less) between my practice ammo and HD ammo? I plan on using a 100m zero or some slight variation of that and my rifle will be iron sighted and have the large aperture up at home. I don't want to have to re-zero for range trips and then re-zero before I come home each time. If this will be an issue would I be better off with a 55gr HD loading that might mimic the M193 better? It seems from reading Molon's post on trajectories that regardless of ammo choice, under 25yrds it shouldnt be a concern, not sure if I'm interpreting the data correctly though and I can't find any comparisons with heavier ammo. Thanks for the help.

5pins
06-30-12, 14:24
Zero it with your HD ammo and leave it. The POI of your practice ammo will be very close even out to 100 yards or so.

davidjinks
06-30-12, 16:14
This...without a doubt!

Zero it with your HD ammo and leave it. The POI of your practice ammo will be very close even out to 100 yards or so.

greatnw
06-30-12, 17:17
See next post.

greatnw
06-30-12, 23:08
After trying some different search terms(bored at work) and re-reading some info it looks like I'm just going to have to buy the ammo and test it in MY gun to get an idea of how much shift there will be. The gun seems to be an X factor. If the shift is more then I can live with a good solution might be writing down the adjustments made to bring the practice ammo back to POA/POI and simply adjust the sights for range sessions and adjust back after, hopefully just a few clicks up, down, right or left. I think initialy I was overthinking the whole thing, wouldn't have been the first time. If anybody has more to add feel free. Thanks again.

Failure2Stop
07-01-12, 10:06
After trying some different search terms(bored at work) and re-reading some info it looks like I'm just going to have to buy the ammo and test it in MY gun to get an idea of how much shift there will be. The gun seems to be an X factor. If the shift is more then I can live with a good solution might be writing down the adjustments made to bring the practice ammo back to POA/POI and simply adjust the sights for range sessions and adjust back after, hopefully just a few clicks up, down, right or left. I think initialy I was overthinking the whole thing, wouldn't have been the first time. If anybody has more to add feel free. Thanks again.

I was about to give you a lengthy response, but it sounds like you already figured it out, the shift could be minor or it could be large, you just gotta shoot it to see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Beat Trash
07-01-12, 11:04

I have two Colt 6920's set up identically, with the exception of the optics. Both have an Aimpoint. One uses the T-1 (2 MOA) and the other a PRO. The gun with the T-1 has about a 2" difference in POA/POI with 55 gr practice loads vs the 64 gr carry load at 50 yds. The gun with the PRO has a difference that is under an inch. I'm thinking this is due to the PRO sitting a bit lower than the T-1. Not sure though.

With my T-1 equipped gun, I have a card with the number of clicks required to change the sights written on it. I have found the return to zero good enough for me to not worry about it.

With the PRO equipped gun, I don't change anything, I just shoot it.

If I didn't have a touch of OCD, I'd most likely not mess with the T-1 equipped gun either.

I think you may be over thinking it a bit. But the best thing you could do is to shoot both loads from your gun and see if you are comfortable with the shift in POI.

greatnw
07-01-12, 11:19
Thanks for the confirmations. I plan to shot it, see what I think, and go from there once I can get my hands on some HD ammo and the gun is finished.