PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

PatEgan
06-30-12, 16:42
Here's what I do know about it:
Smith and Wesson .38 SPL, 6 shot.

Anyone know exactly what model it is? If needed, I can provide more pics.
Thanks,
Pat

http://img.tapatalk.com/478e3102-72cf-078e.jpg

Frailer
06-30-12, 17:34
Here's what I do know about it:
Smith and Wesson .38 SPL, 6 shot.

Anyone know exactly what model it is? If needed, I can provide more pics.
Thanks,
Pat

http://img.tapatalk.com/478e3102-72cf-078e.jpg

It's a Military and Police "Pre-Model 10." Serial numbers (on the butt) and any other markings would help pin it down.

PatEgan
06-30-12, 18:51
Frailer,
Thank you. The left side of the barrel has "Smith & Wesson," and the S&W trademark is on the left side of the frame. The right side of the barrel has, "38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG." Serial number on butt is 3985XX.

Hope that helps,
Pat

Frailer
06-30-12, 19:26
Frailer,
Thank you. The left side of the barrel has "Smith & Wesson," and the S&W trademark is on the left side of the frame. The right side of the barrel has, "38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG." Serial number on butt is 3985XX...

For the record, I'm not an expert on old S&Ws by any means. I just find them interesting, and I own a book or two.

With that caveat, this is a ".38 Military and Police Model of 1905, 4th change." It's impossible to pinpoint the date of manufacture without having it "lettered" by S&W, but it is a pre-WWII gun. It's not rare, as 758,296 of these were made between 1915 and 1942, but it's still a very cool revolver.

Looks like a previous owner did some interesting modifications to the sights. What do these look like from the rear?

dewatters
06-30-12, 19:30
Is it my imagination, or did someone modify the sights?

Sgt_Gold
06-30-12, 21:02
Is it my imagination, or did someone modify the sights?

The sights have been modified for target shooting. Someone soldered a patridge type frint sight, and a crude blade type rear sight. Pre model 10's had the groove rear sight machined into the top of the frame.

PatEgan
06-30-12, 21:10
No sir, it's not your imagination. There is a brazed-on length of old copper wire laying across the top of the front sight. I can't help but think this was a sort of ersatz low-light sight, well before tritium...

This is the service revolver carried by my grandfather during his career as a San Francisco Police Department Officer and Sergeant. This was his first 'real' job, as before that he was only able to do laborer work as a non-citizen immigrant from Ireland. By trade he was first a fisherman, the trade of his ancestors, and then a blacksmith. He helped build the Palace of Fine arts as a 'hod carrier' during the project.

He was the first Police Officer of our family, and raised eight children, including my mother. All three of his sons served honorably in WWII, two of them in combat. Two of them also served full careers as Officers with the San Francisco Police Department following the war.

My oldest brother and many of our cousins served as Police Officers, and I still do. My aunt (re)discovered this revolver in the course of cleaning out my late uncle's belongings after he died. He inherited this revolver, and she wanted me to have it as she thought a family Police Officer should have it, and no one else. Do I feel honored? Oh, hell yes.

Pat

Beat Trash
07-01-12, 10:51
No sir, it's not your imagination. There is a brazed-on length of old copper wire laying across the top of the front sight. I can't help but think this was a sort of ersatz low-light sight, well before tritium...

This is the service revolver carried by my grandfather during his career as a San Francisco Police Department Officer and Sergeant. This was his first 'real' job, as before that he was only able to do laborer work as a non-citizen immigrant from Ireland. By trade he was first a fisherman, the trade of his ancestors, and then a blacksmith. He helped build the Palace of Fine arts as a 'hod carrier' during the project.

He was the first Police Officer of our family, and raised eight children, including my mother. All three of his sons served honorably in WWII, two of them in combat. Two of them also served full careers as Officers with the San Francisco Police Department following the war.

My oldest brother and many of our cousins served as Police Officers, and I still do. My aunt (re)discovered this revolver in the course of cleaning out my late uncle's belongings after he died. He inherited this revolver, and she wanted me to have it as she thought a family Police Officer should have it, and no one else. Do I feel honored? Oh, hell yes.

Pat

If it looks stupid but it works, then it isn't so stupid after all...

It would appear that your grandfather was a man who thought "outside of the box".

From one Beat Cop to another, I agree with your mother. That gun needs to stay in the family. And it belongs in the house of a Police Officer.

But if it were me, curiosity would kill me. I'd have to get some standard pressure 158 gr LRN ammunition and shoot the gun, just once. I'd want to see what those homemade sights actually felt like.

Frailer
07-01-12, 11:28
...I'd have to get some standard pressure 158 gr LRN ammunition and shoot the gun, just once. I'd want to see what those homemade sights actually felt like.

Absolutely. This particular model variation was one of the first with heat-treated cylinders, so it should be perfectly safe to shoot.

PatEgan
07-01-12, 22:50
Beat Trash and Frailer,
Oh believe me, I've shot it alot! The sights work great, and your eye definitely picks up the copper on the front sight faster and easier in dim light than a dark, blade style sight. He was definitely onto something.

I am not a revolver guy, and this is the only one I've ever owned. i don't know what the trigger on these is supposed to feel like, but I'd swear it's been worked, because in SA it is LIGHT AND SMOOTH. Accuracy is very nice but again I can't claim to be a revolver shooter, so I'm probably not doing it justice with my semi-auto grip.

Thanks for the info and responses, guys.
Be Safe,
Pat

Beat Trash
07-02-12, 08:24
I wouldn't be surprised if the trigger was actually stock. Those pre-war K-Frames had triggers that were amazing by today's standards. Especially the SA triggers.

anachronism
07-02-12, 17:24
It is a pre-Model 10, Model 10. Known simply as the "Military & Police" model, it was the standard S&W duty revolver for ages. They're neat old guns, and were hand fitted, not like the crap being foisted on the public nowdays.

You appear to have quite a legacy there, dollar value isn't high, but respect value is astronomical

okie john
07-02-12, 17:35
I wouldn't be surprised if the trigger was actually stock. Those pre-war K-Frames had triggers that were amazing by today's standards. Especially the SA triggers.

This. The internals on those old guns were basically hand-fitted. Once you shoot it DA, you'll see why old guys bitch about the crappy trigger on a Glock.

Okie John

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 19:51
don't know what it is but looks funky...