PDA

View Full Version : Running Two Lights on Rifle - Spot and Flood?

Dionysusigma
06-30-12, 17:34
A question that's been bugging me for a couple of weeks is that of a rifle-mounted light. Not whether it's a good idea or not (it is), but rather what kind.

A trend I've seen lately has been one of users pressing a single AR into many roles, with required capabilities of CQB and longer-range (400yd+) engagement. Still nothing particularly wrong with this, however...

Outdoors, it seems as though a high-output light with a spot beam makes the most sense, especially with any kind of magnification involved. Indoors, though, reflectivity of walls is a major issue, blinding the user. Seems a more flood-style beam would be desirable, at a lower intensity. You don't need to see as far.

But no one light can fill both roles simultaneously (at least, not yet, or that I've ever seen myself), so is an acceptable solution to run two completely separate and different lights on one weapon? Does anyone even do this? If so, how do you do it? What mounts, what lights, where?

Seems admittedly a bit excessive, but I can't think of an alternative. Short of a company coming out with a high-spot/low-flood combo with on-the-fly beam selection and momentary/constant-on capability in a single unit the size of an AN/PEQ-2, anyway...:confused:

Any thoughts?

VIP3R 237
06-30-12, 17:39
Gear Sector makes a fine double mount for the Surefire G2. I believe markm runs one.

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/222/

You'll own the night with that.

EChryst
06-30-12, 18:41
Have you considered mounting something not specifically labeled a weapon mounted light?

Something with a good high/low setting - my SF E2DL has two settings based on the activation of the tailcap.

Not sure if you'd consider the two different settings spot and/or flood.

kmrtnsn
06-30-12, 21:34
The list of times that I want to be searching with my muzzle at distance is very, very small. There are better techniques and tactics.

jonconsiglio
07-01-12, 08:15
The list of times that I want to be searching with my muzzle at distance is very, very small. There are better techniques and tactics.

Agreed. I have a scout mounted on my rifles and handguns but carry a handheld light as well. If I need more than 200 lumens, it's probably because I traveled to an area outside of my norm. So, I could have either switched the scout to a brighter option or carry a brighter handheld. With Surefire's new lights, you can easily have a 500 lumen unit that carries the same as 120 did before.

But, I guess I'm off track here since it was flood and spot. In my personal experience, a Surefire weapon mounted light will be sufficient for both spot and flood. Mine all have nice, tight beams with great peripheral lighting as well. The brighter the center beam, the brighter the peripheral as well. An x300 or scout coupled with the new 500 lumen LX2 or Fury would make a very versatile set up.

highlighter
07-01-12, 08:32
I have thought about using two lights just in case one went down but I have not set them up yet.

militarymoron
07-01-12, 13:34
i've used surefire's beam diffuser filter which changes a spot into a flood and back, in the second it takes to flip it open or closed.
http://www.surefire.com/parts-accessories/filters-diffsers-covers.html

Dionysusigma
07-02-12, 19:22
i've used surefire's beam diffuser filter which changes a spot into a flood and back, in the second it takes to flip it open or closed.
http://www.surefire.com/parts-accessories/filters-diffsers-covers.html

That actually makes a damn lot of sense. :)