PDA

View Full Version : I think I made a mistake installing the Apex Tactical DCAEK...please help!

smitty704
06-30-12, 17:38
I am almost finished installing the DCAEK, all but the USB.

My question is, the new sear spring( which is from the old model sear housing, with small spring and plunger) seems pretty stiff. So stiff that the sear disconnect won't stay activated, it is pressed closed by the pressure of sear.

Is this normal?

Thanks, smitty704

***the model handgun is a late 2010 M&P 9 full size without a thumb safety, mag disconnect, or internal lock****

Randy Lee
06-30-12, 18:57
I am almost finished installing the DCAEK, all but the USB.

My question is, the new sear spring( which is from the old model sear housing, with small spring and plunger) seems pretty stiff. So stiff that the sear disconnect won't stay activated, it is pressed closed by the pressure of sear.

Is this normal?

Thanks, smitty704

***the model handgun is a late 2010 M&P 9 full size without a thumb safety, mag disconnect, or internal lock****
It sounds like the plunger may not be fully seated on the spring. If you use a punch or something similar to press firmly down on the back of the sear, it should snap into place. If it doesn't, call us on Monday and we can send you out a pre seated plunger and sear spring for the small diameter sear block.

-Randy

smitty704
06-30-12, 19:51
It sounds like the plunger may not be fully seated on the spring. If you use a punch or something similar to press firmly down on the back of the sear, it should snap into place. If it doesn't, call us on Monday and we can send you out a pre seated plunger and sear spring for the small diameter sear block.

-Randy

I tried pressing down on the sear with a punch with no luck, and I reversed the spring and tried again with no luck. It just won't seat. I will call on Monday.

Thanks for the help Randy!

-smitty704

Randy Lee
06-30-12, 20:16
No problem! I will have one ready to go.

Randy

Fail-Safe
06-30-12, 21:06
Damned fine customer service!

bobnieder
06-30-12, 21:22
Apex is one of the best -- especially when you need a helping hand.

smitty704
06-30-12, 23:17
Yea I agree, damn fine CS. This is the first time i have reached out about an Apex product and the first reply I get is from the owner, Randy Lee.

That really says something about a company. Thanks.

-smitty704

tostado22
07-01-12, 14:38
Looks like I'll be ordering some apex products I've been thinking about come Monday. Hard to beat service like that these days.

Slvr Surfr
07-01-12, 15:52
Damned fine customer service!

good stuff!

Randy Lee
07-01-12, 16:15
Thanks ,

We couldn't do it without you all!

-Randy

Whiskey_Bravo
07-01-12, 18:25
Yep, they are the best. Just ordered my 3rd apex dcaek and another RAM. Nothing but the best to say about Apex.

Up1911fan
07-01-12, 18:38
There's a DCAEK and RAM en route for my new M&P9FS.

Randy Lee
07-01-12, 19:26
Thank you guys for supporting us!

smitty704
07-01-12, 23:48
I also have a RAM in the way, should be here Tuesday. My gunsmith is installing the USB tomorrow. I could install all of the DCAEK except for the USB, I can't get that rear sight off!

Once Apex send me that pre-seated sear plunger and sear spring, my gunsmith installs the USB, and the RAM is installed it will be a wrap for my 9fs!

Next will be a nice set of sights.....Warran Tactical...maybe.....

radon
07-02-12, 17:23
Randy, I installed your DCAEK kit on an M&P 9c and had the same problem as the OP, but I solved it by using the original spring. I've tested the gun and all seems fine, but am I asking for trouble in the long run by using the original spring? BTW, I bought the 9c earlier this year from a high volume internet gun store so S&W is obviously still using the small spring on its new production M&Ps, at least the 9c models with thumb safety.

Randy Lee
07-02-12, 19:18
Randy, I installed your DCAEK kit on an M&P 9c and had the same problem as the OP, but I solved it by using the original spring. I've tested the gun and all seems fine, but am I asking for trouble in the long run by using the original spring? BTW, I bought the 9c earlier this year from a high volume internet gun store so S&W is obviously still using the small spring on its new production M&Ps, at least the 9c models with thumb safety.

radon,

The factory sear spring will work. It is simply lighter in force than ours. The thing about sear flutter is that some guns are susceptible to it, and some are not. There are a lot of guns running our DCAEK and Comp AEKs that are using the small sear springs. That said, I always recommend either purchasing a new sear housing block from Brownells or Midway, or having us do the upgrade to accept the larger spring and plunger. It prevents the problem essentially across the board.

-Randy

radon
07-02-12, 19:23
Thanks Randy. I looked into changing out the sear housing block by buying one from Brownells but from what I could tell from the pictures on their site they did not carry the block that would accomodate the thumb safety (I believe they are different from the no-thumb safety blocks, just looking at the pictures). Do you carry the sear housing block that will accomodate a thumb safety, and if so what do you charge for the upgrade?

Randy Lee
07-02-12, 19:33
Thanks Randy. I looked into changing out the sear housing block by buying one from Brownells but from what I could tell from the pictures on their site they did not carry the block that would accomodate the thumb safety (I believe they are different from the no-thumb safety blocks, just looking at the pictures). Do you carry the sear housing block that will accomodate a thumb safety, and if so what do you charge for the upgrade?

I will check into an appropriate part # and get back to you tomorrow.

-Randy