PDA

View Full Version : alright I'm in, i'm buying a PPS for 459 bucks

skyugo
06-30-12, 19:16
stopped by the local gun shop on my way home from the range... they had a "factory demo" PPS for 459. looks new, comes with one mag, a box and 2 backstraps. 4/2011 date code on the test fire envelope

I was like "you guys probably don't do layaway do ya?"
"actually you can put it on hold for 30 days for free"
i can't turn that down. :dance3:

this may or may not replace my j-frame as a pocket gun. :confused: it seems like it'll fit in my pockets, i usually wear carrhartt pants.

mkmckinley
06-30-12, 19:26
After agonizing over J-frames you're going to just up and replace it with a PPS?

Just giving you a hard time. When you get the PPS I'd be interested to know what you end up carrying more.

skyugo
06-30-12, 19:46
After agonizing over J-frames you're going to just up and replace it with a PPS?

Just giving you a hard time. When you get the PPS I'd be interested to know what you end up carrying more.

well.. what happened is i found a shop with a 40 cal PPS in stock last night and the guy let me try it out in my pocket... and i think it might just work out for me.

I've been contemplating a PPS for going on 3 years now.
hopefully i'll be able to afford to keep the j-frame and the PPS (and of course my old OD framed glock 19 that i will never sell)

kmrtnsn
06-30-12, 21:39
I think that price for a PPS is very hard to beat.

straitR
06-30-12, 21:43
Have you shot one, or are you assuming it's something you'll like?

skyugo
06-30-12, 22:32
Have you shot one, or are you assuming it's something you'll like?

i haven't shot one. grip feels good, trigger feels good, nice big sights... I'm pretty confident i can learn to shoot it well. I've put over 20k through various 9mm glocks in the last 4 years. I managed to learn to shoot a j-frame decently. This should fall somewhere in between.

considering how cheap i'm getting this thing if i really hate it I can always sell it to one of you guys and not be out much cash :D

Beat Trash
07-01-12, 10:41
I had a 9mm PPS for just shy of a year. If your J-Frame is a steel framed gun, then the PPS will work for you in pockets large enough.

However if you are used to pocket carrying an alloy framed J-Frame then the weight difference is noticeable. Manageable, but it's a bit heavier than a 642.

My PPS was shockingly accurate. It took just a couple of magazines before you caught yourself comparing it to a full sized duty pistol in terms of handling and accuracy.

For pocket carry, I absolutely love the magazine release of the PPS. with just a little practice, dropping the mag with your index finger or trigger finger becomes second nature.

The only reason I sold off my PPS was I bought a Shield when they first came out. Shooting and comparing the Shield to the PPS is a very close call. Each gun had some features I preferred over the other. I couldn't justify keeping both, and I found the Shield worked just a tad better for my needs than the PPS.

Remembering the primary requirement of a gun is the ability to put rounds on target, take your new PPS out and shoot it against your J-Frame. I think after that, you'll find a way to carry the PPS...

skyugo
07-01-12, 11:20
I had a 9mm PPS for just shy of a year. If your J-Frame is a steel framed gun, then the PPS will work for you in pockets large enough.

However if you are used to pocket carrying an alloy framed J-Frame then the weight difference is noticeable. Manageable, but it's a bit heavier than a 642.

My PPS was shockingly accurate. It took just a couple of magazines before you caught yourself comparing it to a full sized duty pistol in terms of handling and accuracy.

For pocket carry, I absolutely love the magazine release of the PPS. with just a little practice, dropping the mag with your index finger or trigger finger becomes second nature.

The only reason I sold off my PPS was I bought a Shield when they first came out. Shooting and comparing the Shield to the PPS is a very close call. Each gun had some features I preferred over the other. I couldn't justify keeping both, and I found the Shield worked just a tad better for my needs than the PPS.

Remembering the primary requirement of a gun is the ability to put rounds on target, take your new PPS out and shoot it against your J-Frame. I think after that, you'll find a way to carry the PPS...

I'm going to hang onto the j-frame for at least a little while after getting the PPS. I can't always carry IWB at work, it's more of a comfort thing than a policy thing. I also go to one of the few schools in the country that allows CCW, and I feel I should be carrying just a bit more gun than a j-frame.

The shield is an interesting pistol as well, but I'm really not into that tiny weird little thumb safety. I guess you can always leave it off... I'm also a bit of a whore for german pistols :o I kinda miss my p7...

Matman87
07-01-12, 13:06
I love my PPS. My father liked it do much he had me find him one used off the interweb. He lives it. He's always been a pocket carry man with pistols like the Taurus .22, Bauer .25, etc and is a dedicated fan of the PPS. I find that it's enough pistol to be confident carrying, but very unobtrusive in daily activities. I have several carry setups for it and personally prefer AIWB or a belly and for Axcess reasons. I've shot close to 1K rounds through it since I bought it and it's been nothing but accurate and reliable with good ammo. I've taken some high level shooters with it in pistol matches as well. Reloads definately take practice and require their own technique. I use my middle finger (cuts down on trigger finger tasks, allows me to flag my index along the slide and clear my pinky from the Magwell.) With practice this has been the most successfully technique for me.

Excellent gun though you'll like it!

nalesq
07-01-12, 13:11
I recently bought a 9mm PPS, and was also surprised how accurate it was - without any time pressure, it was easy to keep all hits within a 6 inch circle at 25 yards, from an unsupported standing position. It's marginally more challenging to get consistent accuracy at high speed compared to say, a Glock 17. But the tradeoff in concealability is well worth it.

paul556
07-01-12, 13:26
if it wasnt for the cost of mags and the backstrap safety i'd still have mine. very accurate pistol

Pistol Shooter
07-01-12, 16:04
You did very well price wise with your PPS.

( IIRC, I paid about $620.00 for my 9mm NIB back PPS in October 2008.)

It's a real tack driver and devours any ammo I feed it. Amazing accuracy for a pistol with a 3" barrel and a pleasure to shoot for extended range sessions. Enjoy.

Walther hit it out of the park with this pistol, IMO. Great design and execution. :)

jyo
07-01-12, 16:27
I've had a 9mm PPS for the last couple of years---been very reliable---shoots well---yeah, the cost of the mags is high but I have a few HKs and their mags cost a lot as well---and once you buy them, you're done. Enjoy your new pistol!

badness
07-02-12, 01:57
i have one in .40. I paid over $700 for it 2 1/2 years ago. It has the best striker fired trigger i've ever felt. I don't regret it at all.

skyugo
07-02-12, 13:38
if it wasnt for the cost of mags and the backstrap safety i'd still have mine. very accurate pistol

did that backstrap safety ever give you any problems? It seems like a silly feature to me, but I haven't heard of anyone having a gun deactivated unintentionally by it...

It was basically between this and the shield.. the shield knocked itself out of the running by having a thumb safety... a tiny hard to use thumb safety.....

Mark/MO
07-02-12, 19:23
Wow, that sounds like a heck of a price to me. And I thought I'd gotten a good deal at under $500.

I bought a PPS about 4 months ago and love it. It's accuracy amazes me and the trigger feels like my Glocks, something I'm already used to. For me it's too big for pocket carry but I usually carry IWB.

TexasAggies
07-04-12, 16:53
Mine is at S&W right now being worked on.

Its my goto pistol for CCW, love the thickness, weight, size, accuracy, mag choices, sights, trigger.

I was lucky to pick a used one up for 500$ with a MTAC holster. Unfortunately mine has had a few to many FTF so its at S&W however I have no doubt they will get it right and I will be carrying it again.

Hell I like it so much I bought a second one to carry while they're working on this one.

KCabbage
07-04-12, 17:11
did that backstrap safety ever give you any problems? It seems like a silly feature to me, but I haven't heard of anyone having a gun deactivated unintentionally by it...

Mine came off on its own a couple times. Bending the locking tab to better engage seemed to keep it in place. Needless to say my confidence in that pistol wasn't what it should have been.

paul556
07-04-12, 17:37

It was basically between this and the shield.. the shield knocked itself out of the running by having a thumb safety... a tiny hard to use thumb safety.....

it never gave me any issues however a couple of friends had theirs pop off so the slipped a limbsaver over the grips

skyugo
07-17-12, 01:20
Picked the pistol up on saturday. I've put 50 rounds through it so far.... reliable and accurate (though hardly much of a test in the reliability dept)

I've also pinned the quicksafe backstrap on. Drilled the lower dimple in the backstrap with a .062 (1/16) drill. Dremeled (ouch i know) a bit of the safety lever out of the way to clear the pin. Used a piece of 1/16 stainless TIG welding rod as a pin. Confidence in this gun is now hugely improved. the back strap does not move. even if the back strap were destroyed the pin would hold the lever in place.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/22105-pps-back-strap-fix.html

Other impressions- quite light. THIN. I've been messing around with a smart carry for this gun as i have no proper holster. I'm going to pick up a desantis nemesis and some kind of IWB (perhaps a garrett hybrid) soon.

If this is at all workable in the pocket with a 6 round mag (don't have it yet) the j-frame is getting sold. serious sights, serious trigger, fast reload, low recoil... This thing has it all.

so yeah in conclusion... impulse bought a gun, drilled holes in it almost immediately, fired a box of ammo through it, carrying it over my junk.