PDA

View Full Version : Rounds hanging up on feed ramp

Jake Bauer
06-30-12, 23:37
I've never had feeding issues with my DDM4. Using same ammo I've always used (62g silver bear hollow points), plus some new ammo (hornady steel match 75g hollow pints), out of the same Pmags I've always used without issues and all of a sudden, everything is catching on the feed ramp when I release the bcg, and when I manually cycle rounds. I don't get it. The feed ramp is clean (scrubbed it today), and rifle is well lubed. I dont know, maybe I just need to go shoot it, but it has always chambered a round when I insert the mag and release the bcg.. now it wont. The bullets are getting hung up in the feed ramp. The only thing I've done to the rifle since shooting it last was put my new Centurion Arms rail on it, but that should be irrelevant. Any ideas?

Sixgun_Symphony
07-01-12, 01:06
Have you tired a different magazine?

DirectDrive
07-01-12, 07:30
Sounds mag related.
The on deck round position should look similar to this :

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/constructor2007/PA100002.jpg
(6.8 example)

Colt guy
07-01-12, 07:53
As others have stated try a different magazine.
Now with that said.
It could also be the butt stock spring is weak.

rob_s
07-01-12, 08:08
How many rounds on the gun?

Replace the action spring ("buffer spring") with this
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4875/sku=160-307-104/Product/Action-Spring

AKDoug
07-01-12, 12:01
Try a different magazine. Check over-all length of the new rounds vs. the ones you know will function. If they are tight in the mag it can definitely screw up their feeding.

midSCarolina
07-02-12, 11:53
I had a rifle that was 100% until I got about 6000 rounds into it and I replaced the buffer spring and it started functioning just fine again but I probably cycled the weapon several thousand times doing dry fire stuff at home when I was bored.

1. Check feed ramps to make sure they are properly aligned and don't have any pitting

2. Try with a different mag

3. Replace buffer spring and/or add a heavier buffer

bluecanary
07-02-12, 18:34
@OP why is the bullet tip red?

Is the overall length longer than the standard rounds that chamber for you?

Looks like it is not even making it onto the feed ramps....

SW-Shooter
07-02-12, 18:41
@OP why is the bullet tip red?

Is the overall length longer than the standard rounds that chamber for you?

Looks like it is not even making it onto the feed ramps....

That's not the OP's gun, reading is Fun da mental.:dance3:

Jake Bauer
07-02-12, 23:33
Thanks so far guys. I had another friend of mine also tell me to check the buffer spring. My rifle came with an H buffer so I know thats not the issue. I tried another magazine and the same thing is happening.

Yes the 75gr rounds are longer, but I assuumed that a mil-spec feed ramp would accommodate them. I'm going to take it to the range soon to see what happens.

As for round count, there are probably just over 1000 rounds fired through it. 95% of them being the same rounds that are hanging up now.