PDA

View Full Version : Troy Industries complete rifle

Pages : [1] 2 3

PalmettoPrecision
07-01-12, 22:11
I was in Dick's sporting goods today and came across something very interesting... I usually do not see any firearms remotely of interest while in the hunting department, but this one caught my eye. It appeared to be a troy industries lower, (???) on an unknown upper, (I'm guessing also troy) with a TRX rail, medieval brake, battle ax stock, and a battlemag. I took the rifle down and everything looks great.. properly staked gas key, m4 feed ramps, and a properly stake castle nut. I was short on time so I didn't get any pictures.

I am interested in this rifle, but have not seen or heard anything about them yet. It didn't even have a price on it.. the associate said he had just put in on the shelf 5 minutes beforehand.

Anyone seen them yet?

Kokopelli
07-01-12, 22:41
Probably gone by morning.. Ron

KrampusArms
07-02-12, 00:34
Was it possibly the M7A1? I remember seeing the upper kit in their catalogue I got a year or two ago. It's interesting, that they aren't mentioned anywhere here on M4C. To my knowledge at least.

Tarbell
07-02-12, 02:06
I didn't know they made complete rifles, but I do know they make uppers. Their uppers used to have LWRCi Hammer Forged NiCorr lined barrels...not sure if they still use those.

HKBanger
07-02-12, 07:04
I knew they made uppers, but was not aware of complete rifles. I'd imagine it's all top end -- Troy is usually the bees-knees :D I've been wanting to give their upper a try but there is not a lot of information on it so it'd be practically a mystery purchase. I wonder if it was the TRX or the newer TRX Alpha on it. I'd love to see pics!!

Tzook
07-02-12, 09:24
I'd jump on that while you have the chance, I've NEVER seen a complete Troy gun before.

TucsonFX4
07-02-12, 14:53
I just saw that rifle in a Dick's yesterday as well. I was on a mission looking for a different type of firearm, so I didn't ask to see the Troy rifle. I did notice it had a sticker price of $1029 (iirc). If it is on par with Colt, etc as some here seem to suggest it may be, that is a good price from a big box retailer.

I'm not in the market for another M4, so it is better that I keep my hands off of items like that to avoid the temptation.

ccarrier
07-02-12, 19:10
after reading this thread, i ran down to dicks to check this rifle out.

they let me half way take it apart to inspect it.

too me ( and this is just my opinion) the rifle its self doesnt seem to be much more of a " quality" piece then a dpms or a bushy

the bcg and charging handle were just the normal cheaper looking and feeling stuff youd find in any off the shelf ar15

William B.
07-02-12, 19:25
too me ( and this is just my opinion) the rifle its self doesnt seem to be much more of a " quality" piece then a dpms or a bushy

the bcg and charging handle were just the normal cheaper looking and feeling stuff youd find in any off the shelf ar15

That doesn't sound like what I would expect from Troy. What about these specific parts felt and looked cheap? Was the carrier key properly staked? Were there any sort of proof marks?

ccarrier
07-02-12, 20:06
the only marking i saw on the upper was a square (bafe)

the charging handle felt flimsy.

too me the carrier key look properly staked.

the bgc just looked like a generic piece. no markings or anything special looking too me.

hardgainer14
07-04-12, 11:21
From their website: http://www.troydefense.com/firearmsaccessories/troy-5-56-carbine/

Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine Specifications:
-Mil-Spec forged flat top upper receiver with integrated M4 feed ramps (FDE Rifles are Ceracoated & Hard Coat Anodized)
-Mil-Spec forged lower receiver with Troy Industries Enhanced Trigger Guard (FDE Rifles are Ceracoated & Hard Coat Anodized)
-Chrome Moly Vanadium Melonite coated 1/7 RH twist barrel, chambered in 5.56 with M4 feed ramps
-Troy Industries free float modular 13″ Alpha Rail system with integrated spring loaded front M4 Battlesight
-Mp tested mil-spec bolt and carrier with upgraded extractor and properly staked gas key
-Troy Industries Battle Ax 6 postion (Pinned for compliant models) buttstock with Mil-Spec receiver extension
-Troy Industries Medieval Flash Suppressor/or pinned Claymore Muzzle Brake
-Troy Industries Rear Folding Battlesight
-Troy Industries Enhanced CQB Pistol Grip
-Troy Industries 10 round Battlemag

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh43/soonersfball/TRoyCarbineSlide5b.jpg

masakari
07-04-12, 16:24
I saw this at Dicks as well. I guess they got a good deal on them.
Im glad to see quality ARs being sold in stores!

FChen17213
07-04-12, 17:40
It looks like these are being offered exclusively through Dick's Sporting Goods for now. That seems like a really really weird thing. It's not like Dick's is a known tactical/leo store. It will be interesting to see if these guns are going to be offered on a larger scale and how the quality of these guns turns out to be.

Spectre'sWrath
07-04-12, 22:14
The Dick's in my area has the Troy AR as well and also a whole lot of Battlemags, Troy rail covers, Troy slings and random odds and ends. They also had a few Blackhawk slings and such. I agree, it is very strange to see Dick's heading in this direction, but it could be a good thing....I hope.

duece71
07-04-12, 22:22
I was in a Dicks a couple of weeks ago and saw a boat load of Troy stuff. Mags and stocks mostly, I did not peruse the gun rack as that was not what I was there for.

richiecotite
07-04-12, 22:23
Saw this at my PGA a few months ago. They had 2, 1 in blk 1 in fde. They came broken down in a hard case with a sling and 3 or 6 battlemags. Price was 1600 or so.

For 1029, I'd be all over that, or raising funds to be all over that :p

Sanpete
07-04-12, 22:30

How does a charging handle and BCG feel 'cheap'?

Alex V
07-05-12, 07:08
wonder if the Dick's in NJ will have them lol. Other than the stock it should be okay here. Might have to check it out for S&G

Wonder if they will sell the limited capacity mags on their own as well.

VIP3R 237
07-05-12, 12:17
Well from the specs it looks like its a little better than most of your run of the mill ar's out there, and its pretty loaded with accessories for the price point. It think they will sell many of them.

I was in a Dicks a couple of weeks ago and saw a boat load of Troy stuff. Mags and stocks mostly, I did not peruse the gun rack as that was not what I was there for.

Same here, the prices were a little high but it was nice seeing them carry some ar stuff.

Tzook
07-05-12, 22:55
Is Troy doing their own barrels for these? If they aren't where are they getting them?

Tymaske
07-06-12, 10:37
I picked one of these up from Dicks on the 4th. I have to say it is a very solid built rifle with high quality components. I even opened a Dicks CC to get an extra 10% off the gun. Overall I think it is a good price for a great rifle. I will try to tear it down later and post some close up pics of everything. Originally I was going to pick up a LaRue PredatAR, but didn't want to pass up an opportunity to own 1 of 500 of the first Troy built rifles. It comes with a certificate of authenticity. I guess my PredatAR will have to wait for now.

Hehuhates
07-06-12, 15:12
wonder if the Dick's in NJ will have them lol. Other than the stock it should be okay here. Might have to check it out for S&G

Wonder if they will sell the limited capacity mags on their own as well.

They will, they have pre-ban and post-ban. (AWB compliant and no ban)

Tymaske
07-06-12, 15:28
Here are the pics of the rifle I purchased.

HKBanger
07-06-12, 15:33
That's pretty awesome. I'm liking the roll mark. However, I'm not jealous of the stock. Although it looks like it is probably functional and has an ass load of storage space -- it's ugly as sin!

I'm curious what they are using for barrels also and how well the BCG stacks up against a BCM, LMT, or other high quality bolts out there.

Boss Hogg
07-06-12, 16:07
Looks like an interesting rifle. Hope it does well for Troy and Dick's.

yhmspecter
07-06-12, 18:44
Just came from Dicks, they had gun number 127 of 500, I was reminded that it was a limited run about 8 times... The gun looked solid, the upper and lower fit very tight. It was quite hard to get the rear take down pin out a little harder then I would like. The bolt looked good, I didn't see any marks on it,Troy does claim its MPI tested.. The carrier was a gray color. For 1100 out the door it seems like a good rifle. Dicks is a tad bit pricey on the Troy parts and accessoriess . 18 bucks for a battle mag, 150 bucks for the battle axe stock, they didn't carry any of the sights but nice to see a seeming quality AR option sitting on the rack next to some less then stellar options for the same or more money then the Troy.

Tokarev
07-10-12, 11:07
Maybe I missed the info in the thread but how's the weight on this? I don't see that information listed on the Troy Defense nor Dick's sites.

Tokarev
07-11-12, 16:26
Cell phone pics sent by a shooting buddy. He says the gun appears to be fairly nicely assembled. Decent fit between the upper and lower, etc. His only complaint so far is a lousy gritty trigger...

The complete rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-21.jpg

Troy's receiver markings:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-24.jpg

Front half of the rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-18.jpg

Post-Ban 10rd magazine. It appears to be a 30rd mag with a clipped spring. The mag was full of followers to limit capacity. Neat! Free followers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-23.jpg

JB326
07-13-12, 15:59
I just walked out of Dick's with serial number 647, so there is definitely more than 500 of them, but mine still includes a certificate of authenticity as a part of a limited edition run.

I opened up a store card to get the discount and walked out the door for $1080... It seems like a whole lot of rifle for that kinda money. I had absolutely zero plans of buying a rifle today... But when my son (named Troy) has his first birthday coming up in two weeks, how could I possibly pass up a Limited Edition Troy rifle???

ccarrier
07-13-12, 18:39
how much of a discount did you get?

JB326
07-13-12, 18:42
how much of a discount did you get?

You get 10% off your first purchase when you open the card, so in my case I saved tax plus 2%. I walked out the door for $19 less than the sticker price, plus a Mountain Dew.

badness
07-13-12, 19:00
You get 10% off your first purchase when you open the card, so in my case I saved tax plus 2%. I walked out the door for $19 less than the sticker price, plus a Mountain Dew.

winnar

usmcvet
07-13-12, 19:23
Cell phone pics sent by a shooting buddy. He says the gun appears to be fairly nicely assembled. Decent fit between the upper and lower, etc. His only complaint so far is a lousy gritty trigger...

The complete rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-21.jpg

Troy's receiver markings:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-24.jpg

Front half of the rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-18.jpg

Post-Ban 10rd magazine. It appears to be a 30rd mag with a clipped spring. The mag was full of followers to limit capacity. Neat! Free followers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Troy%20Defense/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-23.jpg

That is a great idea. I have a but load of those followers and a buddy of mine wanted it hunt with his AR. Might work for him.

I just walked out of Dick's with serial number 647, so there is definitely more than 500 of them, but mine still includes a certificate of authenticity as a part of a limited edition run.

I opened up a store card to get the discount and walked out the door for $1080... It seems like a whole lot of rifle for that kinda money. I had absolutely zero plans of buying a rifle today... But when my son (named Troy) has his first birthday coming up in two weeks, how could I possibly pass up a Limited Edition Troy rifle???

Good thing his name isn't Ferrari !:D seriously that is Coo. Just bought my daughter a 15-22'for her 7th in Late August. I need to pull stock and pistol grip and paint them Pink! Ergo has pink rail covers and grips. I'm going for the rail covers might go fornthenpistolmgrip but I'm going to try the Krylon first.

Quentin
07-13-12, 19:28
Hmmm, an AR style carrier intead of M16 - I hope no other corners were cut. Very nice rifle for the money!

Riddle
07-13-12, 21:22
dont forget the rewards card also. you get a dicks gift certificate for something like .033 points for every $1 spent. so $1000 spent is about $30 back. Not to mention, after joining the rewards thing, they send lots of coupons ($10 off $50 or more, bonus 500 points, etc).
I dont mean to make it sound like i love dicks or anything (lol :D) but if you have to shop there, get the rewards card

JB326
07-13-12, 22:34
dont forget the rewards card also. you get a dicks gift certificate for something like .033 points for every $1 spent. so $1000 spent is about $30 back. Not to mention, after joining the rewards thing, they send lots of coupons ($10 off $50 or more, bonus 500 points, etc).
I dont mean to make it sound like i love dicks or anything (lol :D) but if you have to shop there, get the rewards card

Nice... I didn't even think about that I would be getting a rewards check on top of the discount. Maybe I'll use that to get a 3-pack of the insanely overpriced Troy mags.

On a more serious note, I had to qual one of the guys in my office at the range anyway this afternoon, so I took the new rifle along with me. First though, I stopped to get a mag spring so that I could un-neuter the mag as described above. The tabs were VERY stiff and I couldn't get either of them to budge until one of them snapped. Then, I was able to work the other tab loose and get my new supply of followers out. Once I got the spring changed and put the mag back together, it still held a full 30 rounds. I will try and talk to Troy CS about a replacement floor plate, but it's no big deal either way.

I finally got out to the range and put a couple of hundred rounds through it. The more I handled and shot this rifle, the more and more I fell in love with it. The stock is hideous to look at, but it felt good and was easy to shoulder from low ready/ high ready/ any other position I tried it from. The sights were zero'd (at least at 25 yards) out of the box, and they seem very sturdy. My favorite part was the free float tube. I thought that my Daniel V7 tube was my favorite, but I definitely like the feel of the Troy tube better.

In a nutshell, I am very pleased... I am sure my son will be too, a few years down the road.

Tzook
07-13-12, 23:10
Nice... I didn't even think about that I would be getting a rewards check on top of the discount. Maybe I'll use that to get a 3-pack of the insanely overpriced Troy mags.

On a more serious note, I had to qual one of the guys in my office at the range anyway this afternoon, so I took the new rifle along with me. First though, I stopped to get a mag spring so that I could un-neuter the mag as described above. The tabs were VERY stiff and I couldn't get either of them to budge until one of them snapped. Then, I was able to work the other tab loose and get my new supply of followers out. Once I got the spring changed and put the mag back together, it still held a full 30 rounds. I will try and talk to Troy CS about a replacement floor plate, but it's no big deal either way.

I finally got out to the range and put a couple of hundred rounds through it. The more I handled and shot this rifle, the more and more I fell in love with it. The stock is hideous to look at, but it felt good and was easy to shoulder from low ready/ high ready/ any other position I tried it from. The sights were zero'd (at least at 25 yards) out of the box, and they seem very sturdy. My favorite part was the free float tube. I thought that my Daniel V7 tube was my favorite, but I definitely like the feel of the Troy tube better.

In a nutshell, I am very pleased... I am sure my son will be too, a few years down the road.

I've found that though Troy's stock is disgustingly ugly, I get a far better cheek weld using it than any other stock I've tried. I will continue to get them for my rifles, even if I look like an idiot doing it!! :cool:

justlikeanyoneelse
07-13-12, 23:50
I saw this at my local Dicks today and it was ok, solidly built and so on, my Dicks had it for $1099.00. Also I'm saying this "anonymously" but you should read the fine print on the credit card, you got hustled...no offense.

JB326
07-14-12, 00:12
I saw this at my local Dicks today and it was ok, solidly built and so on, my Dicks had it for $1099.00. Also I'm saying this "anonymously" but you should read the fine print on the credit card, you got hustled...no offense.

Hopefully not to bad (though I definitely didn't read the print...) tomorrow the account will have a $0 balance. The nice young lady said I only had to "use" the card, so I "used it" after I handed her a decent wad of cash.

gadget
07-14-12, 11:58
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk422/gadget6819/0f77a5d6.jpg

In 2005 Troy ordered a hundred stripped lower receivers, Stag was unable to deliver and conducted itself in less then honorable manner and took a year to deliver - short story no Stag content in the Troy carbine - how about the fact that Troys skunk works designed and are still in the running for the IC carbine program.

Tokarev
07-14-12, 16:09

26% interest a little steep for you?

justlikeanyoneelse
07-14-12, 17:19
Yea I'm one of those rare people who hate paying high interest rates. However If you want a Dick's credit card I can help, Dick's always needs more "loyal" customers! :D

26% interest a little steep for you?

JB326
07-14-12, 18:34
I just finished up the Advanced Pistol/ Carbine Class with Frank Proctor/ Way of the Gun, and I ran the Troy through the second half of the day (300 +/- rounds through it). It ran as good as any AR I've ever had. I REALLY liked the Battle Grip, which I didn't think I'd be too excited about. The angle, general feel, and ergonomics of the grip fit me very well.

The only con so far is that it did NOT like P-Mags. It took considerable effort to get P-Mags seated, and there were a few incidents during reload drills where I thought I had it seated when I actually didn't, which wasn't a pleasant thing. Granted te rifle is brand new, and the mags I had with me are all pretty new as well, so we'll see if those problems work themselves out. All other things considered, this may be my new favorite rifle.

zx2man
07-14-12, 19:36
Nice looking rifles indeed.

FChen17213
07-15-12, 01:14
I am wondering about the logic behind the semi-auto BCG. Also, what have these been running for at you all's local Dick's? The Alpha Rail looks nice.

Quack
07-16-12, 22:31
Also, what have these been running for at you all's local Dick's? The Alpha Rail looks nice.

$1099

bobsolla
07-16-12, 22:48
i as well was in a dick`s sporting goods store and saw the rifle as well as sight`s and a trove of troy accessories!this was in wesley chapel,florida

FChen17213
07-21-12, 15:58
I got to handle one of these today at Dicks. It felt very nice and well put together. For $1099, that is a very good deal, including the Alpha Rail, Battle Ax stock, BUIS, and Troy flash hider. I think these will be flying off the shelves.

HKBanger
07-22-12, 09:07
[deleted]

Tokarev
08-05-12, 21:35
I finally got into the local Dick's and picked up one of these. Overall it seems like a nice enough piece. I like the new Troy pistol grip but the stock is rather loose and rattles on the buffer tube.

The billet lower is okay but does have a few machine marks. Nothing too major and it certainly won't hurt anything. The certificate in the box says that only 500 rifles will have the machined lower. There was another Troy rifle in the rack and the kid behind the counter told me it was serial number 1100-something. I didn't think to look and see if it had a conventional forged lower or not. Can anyone comment?

Merle
08-05-12, 22:51
I finger effed one of these at the local Dicks the other day and it seemed like a nice rifle. The stock is ugly but it has a very comfortable cheek weld and the whole package was light and felt well balanced. My only question is why not a semi carrier? If it runs smooth and efficiently with it what is to be gained by an auto carrier other than extra weight? Or is an auto carrier just a cool factor? I have used both and haven't really noticed any difference.

Riddle
08-05-12, 23:28
has anyone tried a troy battle mag in it? is it possible troy did this intentionally so you wont use pmags? (tin foil hat theory i know:D)

JB326
08-05-12, 23:41
Mine is a 6xx serial number, and it is either a "regular" forged lower or either I'm too stupid to know the difference in forged and billet.
P-Mags are a bitch to get seated and the Troy mag that came with it is super smooth, as are GI mags.

It has become my favorite rifle though, mainly because of the pistol grip and the rail. I topped mine with an Aimpoint PRO.

HKBanger
08-06-12, 09:48
has anyone tried a troy battle mag in it? is it possible troy did this intentionally so you wont use pmags? (tin foil hat theory i know:D)

It's not unique to the Troy. There are all kinds of rifles that don't like Pmags. That being said, Troy BattleMag's work great in it and drop perfectly.

I have not noticed any significant amount of wobble or play with the stock/receiver extension. Certainly not as wobbly as a standard collapsible M4 stock! Again, I thought the stock was going to be the worst part but as it turns out, it's one of my favorite parts of the rifle. Very, very functional, durable, and comfortable.

grey man
08-14-12, 10:09
Hi there. This is my first post on the forum.
I went looking for information about the Troy Carbine after I saw it at Dicks over the weekend and found this thread. Well after reading this thread and other forums I decided that the Troy would be my first AR. I managed to get one of the first 500 with the billet receivers. I'm happy so far and can't wait to get it to the range later.

I wanted to get a good rifle and wanted a mid-length gas system. I was holding out for the new Smith/Magpul middy to ship to my local shop, but the chance to "take one home today" and to get one of the first Troy carbines was appealing. I always liked the idea of a DD, BCM, LMT, or even a Spikes, but couldn't get one or couldn't part with the cash. The Troy seems like a good option

I'm not sure I like the grip, but time will tell. I also wish that the Alpha Rail came with the modular rails that seem to be included if you buy the Alpha separately. I'll need to order them or at minimum a QD sling mount - there is no place for a sling up front. And a 10rd mag?....really?
Oh well, I'm still proud of her. I hope she shoots as good as I hope.

JB326
08-14-12, 10:44
I'm not sure I like the grip, but time will tell. I also wish that the Alpha Rail came with the modular rails that seem to be included if you buy the Alpha separately. I'll need to order them or at minimum a QD sling mount - there is no place for a sling up front. And a 10rd mag?....really?

If you end up not liking the grip, I'll buy it from you or trade you a Magpul or something... I love the Troy grip.

Also, you can disassemble that 10 round mag, pull the spare followers they put in it, put a 30 round spring in it and you're good to go with a 30 round mag.

markm
08-14-12, 10:54
I didn't know they made complete rifles, but I do know they make uppers. Their uppers used to have LWRCi Hammer Forged NiCorr lined barrels...not sure if they still use those.

That's scary if it's true. If they're willing to do business with LWRCi, I'd wonder about their integrity and brain cell activity.

I'd pass on this gun just because the lower isn't a real forging. But I'm nuts. :blink:

AlphaKoncepts
08-14-12, 11:07
Troy sells a complete diy kit minus the lower. I even think it comes with a case so you can field strip and break down all the components into a hard "brief" case.

sharkey00
08-14-12, 15:30
That's scary if it's true. If they're willing to do business with LWRCi, I'd wonder about their integrity and brain cell activity.

I'd pass on this gun just because the lower isn't a real forging. But I'm nuts. :blink:

I was thinking of gettin one of these, what is the story with LWRCi?

grey man
08-14-12, 16:17
Got out to the range today and ran 120 rounds through it. No malfunctions at all with either the 10rd Troy mag or the Brownell's mags I used. I shot Federal xm193 and Federal .223 55gr FMJ.
Once I gave the rear sight a few clicks, I was hitting a Dirty Bird target 10 out of 10 at 100yds. I need to get a decent optic on my rifle to see just what it can do. My eyes aren't great and I can't expect any better with the irons.

Magic_Salad0892
08-14-12, 18:44

I'm with you on the forging thing. But LWRCi does make good barrels.

However... from what I understand they're ported for piston guns.

Tokarev
08-14-12, 19:10
I'm with you on the forging thing. But LWRCi does make good barrels.

However... from what I understand they're ported for piston guns.

Since when does LWRC own a hammer forging machine? I thought the only sources in the US for hammer forged barrels were Ruger, Daniel Defense, FN and Remington.

seb5
08-14-12, 20:32
I had one of the older Troy M7 uppers and after speaking with Troy was told by them that the original uppers were sporting Noveske barrels. I'm not sure this means anything now other than they didn't seem averse to using good parts.

scoutfsu99
08-14-12, 20:55
The Troy I handled Friday had a FA carrier.

TMS951
08-15-12, 09:09
Since when does LWRC own a hammer forging machine? I thought the only sources in the US for hammer forged barrels were Ruger, Daniel Defense, FN and Remington.

They don't, Ruger makes them

sharkey00
08-15-12, 10:08
Well I went and bought the only one the Dick's closest to me had. Personally, I think it pretty nice. Mine is serial # 58_ but still came with a certificate. For all the high quality features, I think it was a good deal at $989.99 + tax.

Trigger seems on par with other AR's I've had and shot. Lightweight especially considering I had a RRA Elite Op.2 Stock might be butt ugly but highly functional. There is some slight play in the stock but nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't take it apart yet but I'm ok with a SA BCG.

Troy Defense website says modifying the mag. voids warranty??
I've only bought one other gun at a big box store years ago. The store mgr. last night had me fill out a safety declaration form and then after I cleared NICS and paid, escorted me out of the store AND then handed me the rifle? This is what we've come to in America.

Once tested, the rifle will serve as a patrol carbine. I need the rails and sling mount for it now. Sling it, sight it, and light it and it will be GTG.

wetidlerjr
08-15-12, 10:15
... The store mgr. last night had me fill out a safety declaration form and then after I cleared NICS and paid, escorted me out of the store AND then handed me the rifle? This is what we've come to in America...

Well, this is what Dicks has come to or, rather, what they do. As far as I know, it is a corporate policy. They did the same when I bought a 22LR bolt-action Savage rifle.

Merle
08-15-12, 13:28
I bought some pistols at the BX on McChord AFB recently and they made me fill out some silly safety paperwork, escorted me all the way to me car, handed them to me and told me to get them off the base within 1 hour. I guess AAFES doesn't trust us military people with guns.

FChen17213
08-15-12, 18:10
$989.99 plus tax? It's 1099 at all the Dick's here. I wonder if there's a sale or what the reason for the discrepancy.

Freedoooom
08-15-12, 18:44
I was thinking of gettin one of these, what is the story with LWRCi?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lwrc+markm&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS491US491&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS491US491&q=+site:m4carbine.net+lwrc+markm&sa=X&ei=hTMsUOy_D-fwiwKn0YH4BA&ved=0CGUQrQIwAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9f3de7f9ee57ed80&biw=1366&bih=667

That's the story, its a fun read.

Magic_Salad0892
08-15-12, 21:39
https://www.google.com/search?q=lwrc+markm&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS491US491&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS491US491&q=+site:m4carbine.net+lwrc+markm&sa=X&ei=hTMsUOy_D-fwiwKn0YH4BA&ved=0CGUQrQIwAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9f3de7f9ee57ed80&biw=1366&bih=667

I really love that you just posted that.

Sticks
08-16-12, 04:58
Anybody find out why the Troy is picky about what mags it gets fed? Is there a fix?

HKBanger
08-16-12, 07:10
Anybody find out why the Troy is picky about what mags it gets fed? Is there a fix?

Seems to be just Pmags. You could file your mags down a lil bit on the spine, I would bet.

sharkey00
08-16-12, 09:34
$989.99 plus tax? It's 1099 at all the Dick's here. I wonder if there's a sale or what the reason for the discrepancy.

It was $1099 and then I got 10% off for opening the account in which I will carry a 0 balance. That doesn't include the 300 reward points which amounts to about $35 gift card.

grey man
08-21-12, 11:07
I'm amazed at the lack of buzz about this carbine. I understand that everyone seems to be making AR's these days, but I would have expected more folks to be interested and talking about a great product from a manufacturer with a great reputation at what seems to be a bargain price.

I've put another 90rds through mine in the last couple of days. I know it is no torture test, but I am still really liking it. No problems at all. I am breaking it down and cleaning it after each outing. It gives me a chance to inspect everything and gain confidence in a new weapon.

sharkey00
08-21-12, 11:17
For those on the fence, Dicks put them on sale Sunday - $999.99.
I'm gonna see if they will give me a $100 credit since I bought mine Tues. Sign says all firearm purchases final though.

JB326
08-21-12, 14:04
I ran mine through the third day of a carbine class this weekend, and it got another 300 +/- rounds through it (bringing it to about 800 total). Still no problems at all.

I also discovered that my black P-mags seat and come out much better than my FDE ones, so I may sand down the FDE mags a little bit to try and fix the issue.

Sticks
08-22-12, 05:26
I also discovered that my black P-mags seat and come out much better than my FDE ones, so I may sand down the FDE mags a little bit to try and fix the issue.

So the picky mag issue is hit and miss...

Truth be told, I almost bought one last weekend, but managed to go shooting (finally) and scratched that itch.

I hear more positive reviews, I may still get one as a platform for my DMR assembly.

Facejackets
08-22-12, 12:02
I made the trip across town to Dicks yesterday just to get one in my hands.

I really like it. I can see one in my future.

mtdawg169
08-24-12, 12:04
Checked one of these out at the local Dick's today. Seems like a pretty squared away gun, especially for the price. Properly staked gas key and castle nut, AUTO carrier, carbine buffer plus all the Troy goodies. I was surprised to find the stock was not as bulky as I expected it to be. Overall, it's a nice piece and miles better than anything else on their rack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

munch520
08-24-12, 14:37
Pmags don't work and a semi-auto carrier? I'll pass

fallenromeo
08-24-12, 14:58

Who makes the barrels for Centurion, and Noveske? I thought they did their own barrels? I heard BCM outsources theirs, but I thought at the very least Noveske did their own?

Sticks
09-05-12, 04:42
Well, I finally made it over to Dicks to molest one of them.

To my inexperienced eye, it seemed like a decent entry level rifle. The upper had no markings other than a chopped "A" on the right side, I could not find any barrel manufacturer or anything that was HP/MP on the barrel or bolt (the bolt did have a "CM" on it).

I was not at all impressed with the rail and integrated front BUIS. Nice feature, but when popped up, sloppy as all hell. We are talking about .125" free floating movement, that was not particular about returning to center after wiggling it.

Might be right at home next to the S&W-M&P, Bushmaster, and Stag as being the better option of the three.

Managed to leave empty handed. $1099 was not worth it for a base platform to build up to a DMR.

mtdawg169
09-05-12, 07:53

I know this is off topic, but if you were around during the early days when they were still called Leitner - Wise, you might have a different perspective on Markm's passionate distaste for the rebranded LWRCi. That story, the real story, is locked away deep within the arfcom archives, never to see the light of day again.

Back on topic. The Troy sample I handled a couple of weeks ago actually had an auto carrier and the front sight locked up nice and tight. Overall, it seemed like a good value.

scoutfsu99
09-05-12, 08:15
I know this is off topic, but if you were around during the early days when they were still called Leitner - Wise, you might have a different perspective on Markm's passionate distaste for the rebranded LWRCi. That story, the real story, is locked away deep within the arfcom archives, never to see the light of day again.

Back on topic. The Troy sample I handled a couple of weeks ago actually had an auto carrier and the front sight locked up nice and tight. Overall, it seemed like a good value.

Maybe. I look at it the same as people hating Colt for the 80/90's and bitching about them not caring about the civilian market, blah, blah. It is tiresome and adds zero to any of the conversations it is dropped in.

I looked at another Troy rifle yesterday just to be sure about the F/A carrier since so many here said S/A. I thought maybe I had screwed up and mistaken F/A and S/A.....as hard as that is to do. It was definitely a F/A carrier.

For $1100, this rifle seems to be a pretty good deal. When people start buying more, we'll see how they hold up. I like the rail and I was surprised about the stock. It looks a little stupid IMO, but it felt pretty good and shouldered well. I think more people should try it before dogging it.

markm
09-05-12, 08:56

Boys... LWRCi is no less repulsive with Whistle Dick Weiss out of the picture.

They're still a bunch of lying, forum turfing, Bottom feeders who sell garbage and tell you it's premium stuff. Many of the same old crooked clowns are still there.

To this day you still see those roaches pop up on the forums with the same old script about great Customer service etc. I like gun companies that don't require me to send the shit back every other week.... I don't want to even know they have a cust svc. department.

mtdawg169
09-05-12, 09:02
Maybe. I look at it the same as people hating Colt for the 80/90's and bitching about them not caring about the civilian market, blah, blah. It is tiresome and adds zero to any of the conversations it is dropped in.

Not exactly the same thing. The founder of the company set up numerous troll accounts to praise his own product. The details are fuzzy for me due to the passage of time, but IIRC, I think he even posed as a .gov or military representative in order to give the product more credibility. Fraud and deception are not the same as bad customer service.

I looked at another Troy rifle yesterday just to be sure about the F/A carrier since so many here said S/A. I thought maybe I had screwed up and mistaken F/A and S/A.....as hard as that is to do. It was definitely a F/A carrier.

For $1100, this rifle seems to be a pretty good deal. When people start buying more, we'll see how they hold up. I like the rail and I was surprised about the stock. It looks a little stupid IMO, but it felt pretty good and shouldered well. I think more people should try it before dogging it.

I agree with your observations on the Troy rifle. The stock in particular surprised me. It was not nearly as big and chunky as I expected it to be after seeing pictures of it. I wouldn't replace a ctr or SOPMOD with it, but if I bought that rifle, I wouldn't feel an overwhelming need to replace it either.

MassMark
09-28-12, 06:53
I'm looking forward to Saturday. Troy is setting up shop at our 100th Anniversary for our gun club, (Lee Sportsmen's Association) and are bringing some goodies. They've also graciously made available one of their Massachusetts compliant models to raffle off to our membership. After years of boring raffles, there's finally one I'd like to win - though raffles generally are just a donation to the club for me.

I too am surprised there's not more buzz about this rifle and hope that it pans out. In my somewhat limited view, offering complete quality rifles at a very competitive price to the public is a good thing. I look at the AR15 platform as the musket of our generation. Giving people who may have otherwise passed the opportunity to open the door with a great feature-filled base rifle is an endeavor I hope pans out for Troy. The fact that Troy innovates here behind the iron curtain is in my opinion - a good thing. Massachusetts once had a rich firearms manufacturing history and still does to a much lesser degree. It's great to see Troy a part of it...As moonbatty as this state gets, companies like Troy, Kahr, Smith and Wesson, YHM, etc - are a ray of hope...here's the ban-compliant model they are bringing by:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MassMark/Troy.jpg

Spectre'sWrath
09-28-12, 07:28
We had a used (and I use the term lightly) Troy carbine come through our store the other day and it sold for 799.00. The guy who picked it up was surprised to see we had one and with a manager's supervision...:rolleyes:....was able to take it apart and was happy with what he saw in the BCG and such. A steal if you ask me.

Kochman
09-28-12, 07:55
Im looking forward to checking one of these out soon. If I can find a FDE in stock at Dicks I might just pick it up.

HKBanger
09-28-12, 08:04
I called Troy yesterday to inquire about a couple of things and I also asked who manufactured the barrels for their 5.56 carbine. I spoke with Stephen Troy. His answer was "us", stating that Troy makes the barrels. :confused:

scoutfsu99
09-28-12, 08:45
We had a used (and I use the term lightly) Troy carbine come through our store the other day and it sold for 799.00. The guy who picked it up was surprised to see we had one and with a manager's supervision...:rolleyes:....was able to take it apart and was happy with what he saw in the BCG and such. A steal if you ask me.

I would snatch one up at that price. Wow.

Spectre'sWrath
09-28-12, 09:11
I would snatch one up at that price. Wow.

I was sad when I saw the hold tag on the gun, as I was looking for the perfect thing to put on layaway. Oh well, I am still keeping my eyes open.

MassMark
09-29-12, 21:53
Well, I certainly didn't run this rifle through a carbine class - didn't drag it through the mud or run drills. What I did however see was literally hundreds of people shoot this rifle all day - from just after sun-up, to just a hair before sundown (600 shooters came across our line today and scores of them flocked to the Troy, as we are raffling one off. The rifle didn't miss a beat. It has a great feel to it and the things I didn't think I'd like, I was wrong about: The stock and the brake. The one in the pic I posted was a Medieval - the one on the DSG rifle is a Claymore. I found it far less unpleasant to be around than a laundry list of others, (i.e: Minnie-Y) and shot with it on the DSG 5.56, along with a 10.5 and 7" M7A1. It seems to throw the sound forward and all but eliminates the giant fireball that we behind the iron curtain must endure with a nekkid end of the barrel. I was also surprised how much I liked the BatleAxe stock. For me, it offered excellent cheek weld and just felt right when I was shooting it. Some dislike the looks of it - I could care less. It worked for me and that's all that mattered. I'm also not a 'rail guy'. I have a MOE on my LMT and am just fine with it....But I want that Alpha rail... dammit...They have a new DI that fits over a standard front sight post...dammit again...

I'm really happy to see this rifle out on the marketplace. The sheer numbers of manufacturers, specs, prices, accessories and options is daunting. Troy seems to have 'demystified' the process a bit - especially for new shooters, but I think even those with more experience may find something they like in this rifle...

BlueFalcon81
10-01-12, 18:49
First post i know....but I just bought this rifle today. Gonna pick it up tomorrow I will post some pictures as soon as I can. I was really impressed with how much high end accessories come with it. Well over $500 worth.

Kochman
10-03-12, 03:36
Pics and a review would be awesome.

BlueFalcon81
10-03-12, 19:19
Im trying to but all of the pictures are too big. any suggestions? limit is 97kb and all my photos are like 3megs.

Merle
10-03-12, 19:25
Im trying to but all of the pictures are too big. any suggestions? limit is 97kb and all my photos are like 3megs.
Photobucket

BlueFalcon81
10-03-12, 20:07
im pretty impressed by this thing all of the accessories are catalog items not similar cheaper parts that are just for completes only. i havent fired it yet, but Im gonna this weekend. my only gripe is that they dont include the rails for the alpha rail. They also give you "sweet" battle mag thats pinned or fixed at 10rnds. http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_154523.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163742.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163910.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163916.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163926.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163942.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_163955.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164004.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164024.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164042.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164156.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164231.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164249.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164257.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164342.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164554.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164601.jpghttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121002_164510.jpg

GTifosi
10-03-12, 22:00
Castle nut not staked?

BlueFalcon81
10-03-12, 22:34
Its staked. Milspec buffer. The stock was tricky to get off. I had to pull the buttpad off and remove from inside the stock. Also I paid $1072 total. Original $1099 but dicks had sale $100 off any rifle over $1000, and I got $30 gift card through rewards card in the mail. Plus dicks sells Troy exclusively.

Kochman
10-04-12, 04:40
Did you see a FDE version in the store? Im trying to figure out how common it is to find one.

GTifosi
10-04-12, 06:27
Got a closeup, or is it just once on the right side that didn't find its way into the provided pictures?

Its not showing up as staked in pictures 7 & 9

BlueFalcon81
10-04-12, 09:45
I didn't see any fde ones. Store only had two black ones. Also its staked just once on right side. I'm going to the range this afternoon I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

Littlelebowski
10-04-12, 11:32
Boys... LWRCi is no less repulsive with Whistle Dick Weiss out of the picture.

They're still a bunch of lying, forum turfing, Bottom feeders who sell garbage and tell you it's premium stuff. Many of the same old crooked clowns are still there.

To this day you still see those roaches pop up on the forums with the same old script about great Customer service etc. I like gun companies that don't require me to send the shit back every other week.... I don't want to even know they have a cust svc. department.

You are literally pathological in your obsession at this point and I'm tired of it. There's an SF on this forum who I met at a Vickers class. He takes his LWRC upper on deployments in combat and loves the damned thing. I won't disclose the guy's screen name but SwatCop556 can verify what I said.

I will never own an LWRC but I'm sick of your shit.

MassMark
10-04-12, 11:49
I didn't see any fde ones. Store only had two black ones. Also its staked just once on right side. I'm going to the range this afternoon I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

Thanks for your write-up so far. Looking forward to your range test...

markm
10-04-12, 12:01
You are literally pathological in your obsession at this point and I'm tired of it.

Your exhaustion is not my concern. But thanks for the update. A facebook post if you will. :D

There's a deployed cat on here who relayed a story of his experiences in the shit hole too... Guns back to LWRCi, etc. standard scenario.

p.s. LWRCi is garbage.

MassMark
10-04-12, 12:12
Your exhaustion is not my concern. But thanks for the update. A facebook post if you will. :D

There's a deployed cat on here who relayed a story of his experiences in the shit hole too... Guns back to LWRCi, etc. standard scenario.

p.s. LWRCi is garbage.

Can we move this pissing match to an 'LWRC Sucks/Doesn't Suck' thread? It's been established that Troy and LWRC are not indeed synonymous with the subject matter, which if my reading comprehension has not slipped is about 'Troy Industries Complete Rifle' and not LWRC....

Littlelebowski
10-04-12, 12:31

p.s. LWRCi is garbage.

Good. Can you get back to screaming incoherently about LWRC at traffic instead of shitting all over every single thread that mentions the company? Your pathological obsession takes away from the quality of this site. I wish you lived closer to me so I could borrow an LWRC and smoke your ass with it on carbine drills.

JSantoro
10-04-12, 12:50
jfc, again....?

TO ALL WHO SHALL SEE THESE PRESENTS, GREETING: KNOW YE THAT....

...markm has a problem with LWRC.

There. Stipulated, and made a matter of public record. It need not be brought up again....EVER.

The thread's about TROY rifles. markm, most of the other threads where you go off the edge of the map are, similarly, having nothing to do with LWRC other than somebody else's casual mention of them.

Which step is it, where the addict writes out what they think their "triggers" are...? Quit assing things up for everybody else, and go back to proofreading you correspondence with Agent Starling, please.

markm
10-04-12, 12:54
The thread's about TROY rifles. markm, most of the other threads where you go off the edge of the map are, similarly, having nothing to do with LWRC other than somebody else's casual mention of them.

Rayjay brought the shit back up... I was just bored wondering why this thread hadn't died and stumbled upon his quote on deep on page 6. The war in NAM was still going on when I originally made my post. :p

But I hear you, Daddio. Now on to our regularly scheduled programming.

GTifosi
10-04-12, 14:16
staked just once on right side
Cool, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

chadil1ac
10-05-12, 13:28
Has anyone had any problems with their Troy complete rifle yet?

I was at Dick's sporting goods up in Traverse City, MI and thought I would check one out. Well, the detent spring for the upper pins were sticking out of the receiver end plate and the plate was bent out. I told the kid at the counter he may want to fix that but he didn't seem to care.

Pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/zdogg/IMAG0893.jpg

I couldn't get a real clear picture as my phone was messing up but you can see the large gap and the spring sticking out...

JB326
10-05-12, 13:36

Mine has been completely trouble free through a handful of brief range days and through large portions of two carbine classes.

KarbonChemist
10-05-12, 15:57
Friend of the family just bought one as well, not even knowing the mfg was of any quality. 1000 rounds and no hiccups yet with his.

His cheap red dot...different story

Merle
10-05-12, 20:10

I was at Dick's sporting goods up in Traverse City, MI and thought I would check one out. Well, the detent spring for the upper pins were sticking out of the receiver end plate and the plate was bent out. I told the kid at the counter he may want to fix that but he didn't seem to care.

Pics

I couldn't get a real clear picture as my phone was messing up but you can see the large gap and the spring sticking out...
Maybe Troy is using "The Lighthouse For The Blind" for their quality control department?

Sticks
10-05-12, 20:38
Maybe Troy is using "The Lighthouse For The Blind" for their quality control department?

Come on, we were bound to see one at some point (other than the two with wobbly front sights that I saw) that had a defect of that nature.

scoutfsu99
10-05-12, 20:56
If that did leave the factory, it's kind of a big deal. Are you sure it wasn't messed with somehow at the store?

I would be more worried if we see more of the same or other major problems. Sample of one doesn't equal brand failure though...

BlueFalcon81
10-05-12, 21:27
I took mine to the range yesterday. Shot like a champ. Only one stoppage, but I was using their crap 55gr pmc ammo.

chadil1ac
10-06-12, 01:19
If that did leave the factory, it's kind of a big deal. Are you sure it wasn't messed with somehow at the store?

I would be more worried if we see more of the same or other major problems. Sample of one doesn't equal brand failure though...

I don't see how it could have been messed with after leaving the factory. You would have had to unscrew the castle nut and screw it back on when it was on the shelf. Kind of hard to do IMO.

MassMark
10-06-12, 08:09
I don't see how it could have been messed with after leaving the factory. You would have had to unscrew the castle nut and screw it back on when it was on the shelf. Kind of hard to do IMO.

While certainly possible, never underestimate the power of a DSG employee with too much time on their hands....

midSCarolina
10-06-12, 17:08
What up PalmettoPrecision.. haven't seen you out at the SW in awhile so hope all is well. As for the Troy rifles, Troy makes great stuff but I would like to know the exact specs on them and allow someone else to run them hard and document it before I pick on up.

Kochman
10-07-12, 11:37
Anybody else pick one of these up? I'm really considering getting one but I'd love to hear some more reviews.

TYPEII
10-08-12, 00:51
The Dicks (Utah) here does not carry them...:( If they did I would of probably bought one.

Sticks
10-08-12, 04:08
Does Utah have some sort of AWB in place?

zacii
10-08-12, 08:05

No. UT is almost as free as AZ.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

djmorris
10-08-12, 10:14
Anybody else pick one of these up? I'm really considering getting one but I'd love to hear some more reviews.

Aside from the pic posted earlier in this thread in regards to the loose castle nut, I have not heard a bad thing about them. It's a great deal since you get about $500 worth of accessories on it, so that's essentially paying $500 for a quality mil-spec carbine. The only thing that's not following mil-spec would be the barrel and that's because it's a melonited barrel, rather than a CHF or whatever the case may be. I'd be fine with either kind of barrel, personally.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Even if you did not like it for whatever reason, you could part it out and actually make a profit on it. If you're still thinking about it then I would hurry and bite because they seem to be getting few and far between.

MassMark
10-08-12, 10:45
The Dicks (Utah) here does not carry them...:( If they did I would of probably bought one.

If they do not have them in stock, they are in their special order catalog - free states should have them and ban states should as well. The pic in the flyer I posted is a MA compliant model...

TYPEII
10-08-12, 10:45

No ban. Sales person just said we don't carry them, they carry a lot of hunting rifles though...

TYPEII
10-08-12, 13:48
If they do not have them in stock, they are in their special order catalog - free states should have them and ban states should as well. The pic in the flyer I posted is a MA compliant model...
I'll have to ask next time I am there to see if they could special order, I guess I better hurry, if it's true that they are a Limited run...

MassMark
10-08-12, 14:02
I'll have to ask next time I am there to see if they could special order, I guess I better hurry, if it's true that they are a Limited run...

They have a large special order book and either in the back or next to it, there should be a '2012-2013 Hunting Guide'. It's a spiral-bound glossy notebook full of hunting stuff, but strangely enough - I think on pages 30-34, there's a full line of EBR's and shotguns...Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't get the chance to really put this rifle through it's paces, but from what I did get to see and do, it seems like a super-nice rifle for an excellent price...

BlueFalcon81
10-08-12, 14:08
By the way when u buy one you get a certificate, color catalog, color manual, and a warranty card that u fill out and send with a photcopy of your receipt. Troy will send you a tshirt and a door for the cqb pistol grip.

chadil1ac
10-08-12, 14:08

Pics

Just realized I said that this was in Traverse City, MI. It was not, it was Grand Rapids, MI at the Rivertown Mall. If anyone ever gets a chance, see if it is fixed. Or it could be that they sold that one and got another one in. I doubt they will do anything about it anyway.

JB326
10-08-12, 14:38
The Dick's in Hoover, AL had 7 of them on the wall Saturday when I was in there.

MassMark
10-08-12, 17:05
Here's the book - page 33:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MassMark/05AAEF7C-43C5-4DE2-9A81-418AD21933E6-9561-00000C54368EF7FF.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MassMark/EC28F2F1-4F36-4E60-8EEA-D5329B7CEDD6-9561-00000C5415A0AFC8.jpg

TYPEII
10-19-12, 14:54
Got the called from Dick's today, my Troy is ready for me to be picked up. Can't wait...:D Picts will be up soon.

Kaw77
10-20-12, 06:01
local Dick's has black only and says their supplier only has black
I was not able to order the FDE

BlueFalcon81
10-20-12, 08:29
I like mine so far. 200 rounds and only one stoppage. Its really light and handles well.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121010_155426.jpg

TYPEII
10-20-12, 10:21
local Dick's has black only and says their supplier only has black
I was not able to order the FDE

Same here, I wanted the FDE too, but could only order the black. I honestly don't think they are even out. The only images of it are on Troy's site and that same image scattered on other sites. No biggie I already have a Colt LE6920 in FDE.

TYPEII
10-20-12, 21:40
Took a quick snap of the 2 beauties... the other is a Colt LE 6920.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/TYPEII/Guns/IMG_6119.jpg

NeoNeanderthal
10-20-12, 21:47
I like mine so far. 200 rounds and only one stoppage. Its really light and handles well.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121010_155426.jpg

Uh what? That doesn't sound so sweet to me man. What type of "stoppage" are we talking about here????

hunt_ak
10-20-12, 22:59
Took a quick snap of the 2 beauties...

Is the FDE rifle a 6920? I can't tell...sorry. I'm interested in the FDE receiver extension...

TYPEII
10-21-12, 00:06
Is the FDE rifle a 6920? I can't tell...sorry. I'm interested in the FDE receiver extension...

Yupe, it's a Colt LE6920...

Kochman
10-23-12, 05:02
Local Dicks has one but the sale they were having is over unfortunately. Im still up in the air on this one, but maybe soon.

TYPEII
10-24-12, 01:24
Local Dicks has one but the sale they were having is over unfortunately. Im still up in the air on this one, but maybe soon.

You can sign up for a Dick's Credit card and save 10% around $110, you do not have to use their CC to purchase the gun, you can use your own CC. Also, you can sign up for one of their rewards card for bonus cash, when I bought my Troy that day it was double points so I'll be getting around $60 back in a gift card. I also got a $10 discount coupon off a $50+ purchase when filling out their survey.

Kaw77
10-24-12, 14:00
I wrote CS yesterday regarding the availability of the FDE Troy at Dick's:

Dick’s Sporting Good stores should have them in about 2-3 weeks. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you

Allyson Ranelli
Troy Industries, Inc

TYPEII
10-24-12, 14:13

Dick’s Sporting Good stores should have them in about 2-3 weeks. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you

Allyson Ranelli
Troy Industries, Inc

Well that good to know, AFTER I bought the black one last week... :mad:

GUNSLINGER733
10-24-12, 14:24
I have a friend he's actually a m4 member also that just bought a Troy rifle and he really likes his. The only problem he said he had was mags weren't dropping freely when he first got it.

Kaw77
10-24-12, 14:29
I intend to buy the FDE model as soon as it hits the stores here, unless I have missed any good reason not to do so in this thread?

Dlo250
10-24-12, 14:31
Dicks had them on sale for 999. I paid 1099. They didn't want to do a price adjustment. Be advised.

Kochman
10-26-12, 16:56

Thank you

Allyson Ranelli
Troy Industries, Inc

This is good news. Ill keep my eyes peeled. If anyone spots one please let us know!

BlueFalcon81
10-27-12, 00:56
Uh what? That doesn't sound so sweet to me man. What type of "stoppage" are we talking about here????

crap ammo and some super old(15yrs old tops) mags i acquired from my unit before i got out. not the weapons fault it was the beat up mag with old black follower fault.

bjb4242
10-27-12, 15:58
I handled one at the store and noticed that there was play in the front sight, both front-back and side-to-side play. Someone else also commented on this.

I'm not experienced with fip up sights, but this seems like a problem to me. Is this a big deal or not? Is this common or not with this rifle?

djmorris
10-28-12, 15:08
I handled one at the store and noticed that there was play in the front sight, both front-back and side-to-side play. Someone else also commented on this.

I'm not experienced with fip up sights, but this seems like a problem to me. Is this a big deal or not? Is this common or not with this rifle?

This is pretty common for front sights built into a rail, it seems. There is some play with the front sight, however it has not had a negative impact on accuracy or durability so far. You can also tighten it with an allen wrench if it were to loosen up too much.

Also, the mag-well has loosened up after shooting the rifle a bit more. All magazines drop free when you hit the mag-release, with the exception of Pmags. They run just fine in the weapon, however they still don't drop completely out of the mag-well when you hit the mag release button. So far, the Pmags are the only magazines that we experienced this with. I'm interested in seeing if the new generation of Pmags will be any different.

EDIT: Also for those wondering, the BCG is in fact full auto. I have seen some others claiming it's a SA BCG, but they are misinformed. Definitely a full auto BCG, and the carrier, bolt, gas key, etc seems to be of good quality although it's unmarked. Troy has indicated that they are MPI/HPT tested though, and I'd take their word for it.

Kaw77
10-29-12, 11:09

I was at the local store and decided to check and see if this was evident in the 1 display model they had - it was not - but at the same time I was disappointed in a manner - I cannot put a tangible reason so much - it was OBVIOUSLY finger F'd a number of times and the overall appearence was difficult to determine how it might appear without the numerous minor scratches etc. It was light, and 'smallish' feeling in my hands as well I am now uindecided in this puirchase I will probably need to wait until FDE is available to make an educated purchase decision

Dlo250
10-29-12, 11:52
I noticed the display at dicks had a ton of scratches too. Apparently the workers there put all the guns in a shopping cart on their way back to the lockup every night and the guns pickup a lot of scratches that way. They had one in a box unopened that I purchased which was in tip top shape. As to the lightweight 'feel' of the gun, this was the exact reason I purchased mine. I wanted something lightweight that was easy to carry, which this rifle is IMHO.

djmorris
10-29-12, 12:18
I noticed the display at dicks had a ton of scratches too. Apparently the workers there put all the guns in a shopping cart on their way back to the lockup every night and the guns pickup a lot of scratches that way. They had one in a box unopened that I purchased which was in tip top shape. As to the lightweight 'feel' of the gun, this was the exact reason I purchased mine. I wanted something lightweight that was easy to carry, which this rifle is IMHO.

Yup. It'd be nice if Troy offered this weapon online instead of having to purchase from Dick's. The name speaks for itself, IMO... :sarcastic:

Easily controllable and lightweight - very handy

GH41
10-29-12, 16:13
My front sight is also loose but I don't think it presents a problem. When you tweak it it always springs back hard to the left. If it gets worse I will install a couple of plastic shim washers like you see on high dollar folding knives. BTW.. This is my first post... looking forward to being here. GH

TYPEII
10-29-12, 20:51
Dicks had them on sale for 999. I paid 1099. They didn't want to do a price adjustment. Be advised.

After I saw your post I went down to see if they had it on sale (bought @ $1099 too), they did and they did a price adjustment for me, saved another $96. Manager said you have 30 days on any item if it goes on sale, it's their store policy...

TYPEII
10-29-12, 20:56
As for the front site, mine is not loose at all. Did notice that if are going to mount any accessories on the bottom of the Alpha rail, you will have to get the Troy rail sections...

Lopro619
10-30-12, 06:32
has anybody noticed that these rifles are the same as these

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_TRX_Rifle_p/rftrx-16.htm

djmorris
10-30-12, 07:43
has anybody noticed that these rifles are the same as these

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_TRX_Rifle_p/rftrx-16.htm

Not the same by any stretch.

1. I trust something Troy puts their name on. Del-Ton I do not.
2. Completely different barrel and the Del-Ton is a 1/9 twist. The Troy is a much better barrel and 1/7 twist.
3.The Troy Carbine using a full auto BCG
4. It's wearing a regular TRX rail, while the Troy Carbine is on the Alpha Rail.
5. The Troy Carbine is on a Troy rollmarked lower.
6. The Troy Carbine comes with the second generation Battle axe stock.
7. The flash hider is different
8. The grip is also different
9. The Troy carbine is also on a billet lower receiver (limited run?)
10. It's a completely different weapon. The Del-Ton is just wearing Troy accessories, while the Troy Carbine is just what the name implies.

Kochman
11-03-12, 20:59
Anybody see a FDE model yet? This thread needs more pics.

BlueFalcon81
11-03-12, 22:59
More pics you say.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121102_160139.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121102_160108.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/irdbmx/20121102_160016.jpg

I swapped out the cqb pistol grip that it came with for a Moe grip. Huge difference. The cqb grip is smaller and has a way steeper angle.

The stock is next to go. It sholders great but its heeaavy and kind of an eyesore.

MassMark
11-03-12, 22:59

1. I trust something Troy puts their name on. Del-Ton I do not.
2. Completely different barrel and the Del-Ton is a 1/9 twist. The Troy is a much better barrel and 1/7 twist.
3.The Troy Carbine using a full auto BCG
4. It's wearing a regular TRX rail, while the Troy Carbine is on the Alpha Rail.
5. The Troy Carbine is on a Troy rollmarked lower.
6. The Troy Carbine comes with the second generation Battle axe stock.
7. The flash hider is different
8. The grip is also different
9. The Troy carbine is also on a billet lower receiver (limited run?)
10. It's a completely different weapon. The Del-Ton is just wearing Troy accessories, while the Troy Carbine is just what the name implies.

Thank you - you saved me some typing... :D

JB326
11-03-12, 23:03
I swapped out the cqb pistol grip that it came with for a Moe grip. Huge difference. The cqb grip is smaller and has a way steeper angle.

Do you still have the Troy grip, and would you like to sell it?

wallace91
11-04-12, 11:35
Just picked up the Troy 5.56 at Dick's on friday. My Colt 6920 MPG is happy to have a friend.

The build quality of the Troy looks to hold up with Colt. Everything is properly staked and the buttstock is actually quite nice once you start using it. The stock trigger on the Troy feels smoother and lighter than the Colt does. Also the angle on the Troy grip is perfect for really tucking in on your stance and the flip up sight gives me a groove to use a solid C clamp on the gun when I'm "driving" the rifle.

Pmags do not want to drop but I bought a bunch of Battlemags that drop perfectly and feel solidly built. Not a big loss.

If anybody has any other questions feel free to ask or if you want specific pictures let me know.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/8154476977_f2b7c5b4b6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8154476977/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8154476977/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

whitey615
11-04-12, 12:01
The Dick's in my area has the Troy AR as well and also a whole lot of Battlemags, Troy rail covers, Troy slings and random odds and ends. They also had a few Blackhawk slings and such. I agree, it is very strange to see Dick's heading in this direction, but it could be a good thing....I hope.

My dicks has the same thing.

Kochman
11-05-12, 07:42
Just picked up the Troy 5.56 at Dick's on friday. My Colt 6920 MPG is happy to have a friend.

The build quality of the Troy looks to hold up with Colt. Everything is properly staked and the buttstock is actually quite nice once you start using it. The stock trigger on the Troy feels smoother and lighter than the Colt does. Also the angle on the Troy grip is perfect for really tucking in on your stance and the flip up sight gives me a groove to use a solid C clamp on the gun when I'm "driving" the rifle.

Pmags do not want to drop but I bought a bunch of Battlemags that drop perfectly and feel solidly built. Not a big loss.

If anybody has any other questions feel free to ask or if you want specific pictures let me know.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/8154476977_f2b7c5b4b6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8154476977/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8154476977/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

Have you taken the Troy to the range yet, and if so how do you compare shooting it to the Colt? Considering the Troy is a mid versus the carbine Colt, do you feel a noticeable difference?

markm
11-05-12, 07:54

1. I trust something Troy puts their name on.

That's crazy. :eek:

scoutfsu99
11-05-12, 07:56

Why??

djmorris
11-05-12, 08:24

I have never seen you say something positive about anything, really. Troy makes excellent products, some of the best. I did not realize this was something up for debate. Sure, they are not quite up to Knights Armament standard, perhaps, but then again.. who is? Also, Troy products are priced fairly, rather than gouging you on a $150 barrel nut wrench.

BlueFalcon81
11-05-12, 15:26
Im gonna go out on a limb and say thartat least 75% of the users (if not more) on this forum own something that Troy makes. Guess we better send out a broadcast that their rifle is gonna spontaneously fall apart.

.......troll much:suicide2:

GUNSLINGER733
11-05-12, 16:02
Anything Troy makes is going to be a great product...

JoeStrummer
11-05-12, 16:34
I looked at a Troy in black at my local Dick's here in Charleston. Rifle looked great and was impressed with the whole set-up, kinda of like the stock.

I noticed the grip was loose, seems the grip screw had to be tightened down, just needed a little lock-tite.

Brought it up to the 18 year old snot nosed smart ass behind the counter and was told it was no big deal because it was a display rifle, explained the out come when the grip falls off.

His reply was more stupid shit so I said my thank you and headed out the door.

If I was not picking up a 6920 this week I would grab one of these in a heart beat.

bleaman225
11-05-12, 20:25

Pretty sure he's suggesting that you don't blindly put your faith in anything simply due to who's name is on it.
It's good advice regardless if you want to hear it or not.

wallace91
11-05-12, 20:26
Have you taken the Troy to the range yet, and if so how do you compare shooting it to the Colt? Considering the Troy is a mid versus the carbine Colt, do you feel a noticeable difference?

I took it out and shot it today. Recoil is less and the rifle shoots very smooth. Like I mentioned earlier the trigger is fantastic, crisp action and smooth pull. Pmags have trouble dropping. The Battlemags work perfectly and standard issue mags work as well, small price to pay I guess.

In all honesty after using the Troy I enjoy the Troy stock more than the Magpul ACS. The quality of the rifle beyond the Pmags not dropping is superb. From someone who owns a limited edition 6920 I believe the Troy to be a very well built rifle. I have never had one stoppage with the 6920, and I reload my own .223 and 5.56; ammo is never a question of quality and reliability. I did not have one stoppage today out of 500 rounds with the Troy. Both rifles are amazing but for the price you get a lot more rifle for your money with the Troy.

Feel free to ask any other questions or if you want any detailed pictures just let me know.

scoutfsu99
11-05-12, 20:40
Pretty sure he's suggesting that you don't blindly put your faith in anything simply due to who's name is on it.
It's good advice regardless if you want to hear it or not.

Then he should come out and say it instead of throwing out his usual one liners. It might be good advice if that is what was actually said but it wasn't.

Given Troy's manufacturing history, they have a pretty reliable name. Whether that translates over to firearms remains to be seen. They seem to be off to a good start.

Kochman
11-05-12, 20:52
Feel free to ask any other questions or if you want any detailed pictures just let me know.

Do you know if standard unmarked preban mags will have any issues dropping? I don't think they run as thick as the Pmags but I'm not 100% sure.

*Edit. Sorry I just noticed you said standard issue mags work. Next time I need to read a little better. :)

Kochman
11-05-12, 20:55
I guess my only problem will be deciding what I should replace the buttstock with.

I heard it is heavy. Do you think I could use it to knock down a door, or maybe even knock somebody out? :D I might just keep it on after all.

JB326
11-05-12, 21:05
I still enjoy the stock very much. It's hideous to look at, but that's not nearly enough to make me change it.

MassMark
11-05-12, 22:49
I guess my only problem will be deciding what I should replace the buttstock with.

I heard it is heavy. Do you think I could use it to knock down a door, or maybe even knock somebody out? :D I might just keep it on after all.

I thought the same thing - until I spent the day shooting with one. From an M7A1 to a 10.5" and the standard Troy Defense rifle, I was very impressed with the BattleAxe stock - the lockup was great and the cheek weld was superb for me. I understand the earlier versions had some growing pains, but the fit, finish and feel of this stock did not show it. I'm less concerned with how something looks and more so with how it functions. Functionally, the stock is great and it doesn't to me look bad at all, but again - I'm more of a function over form guy...YMMV

wallace91
11-05-12, 23:23
Mine is not that heavy at all. This is the lightweight version of the axe stock it has a rubber butt plate instead of the steel one the government requested. It is hollowed out inside and is much lighter than my Magpul ACS which is much longer and much heavier. I might even pull out a scale to see how much lighter.

If my scale is accurate the 6920 with rifle length YHM diamond handguard (8.4lbs) is close to the same weight as the Troy 5.56 (8lbs).

Kochman
11-06-12, 06:08
Maybe the look will grow on me when I get it, I do like that it is functional, and also light. I heard a few people complaining that it is very heavy but I'm not sure where they are getting that idea from.

Now if only FDE models started showing up.... I need to see one in person before I decide.

djmorris
11-06-12, 07:29
I thought the same thing - until I spent the day shooting with one. From an M7A1 to a 10.5" and the standard Troy Defense rifle, I was very impressed with the BattleAxe stock - the lockup was great and the cheek weld was superb for me. I understand the earlier versions had some growing pains, but the fit, finish and feel of this stock did not show it. I'm less concerned with how something looks and more so with how it functions. Functionally, the stock is great and it doesn't to me look bad at all, but again - I'm more of a function over form guy...YMMV

The first generation of the BattleAxe stocks were about 1 lb. The newer ones, which are on the Troy Carbine weigh around 10oz.

yossarian42
11-07-12, 18:08
Convinced a friend to get this instead of an m&p 15 sport. The m&p was 750 at the lgs. They tried selling him on a windham weaponry for around 1000. He got the troy for 977 out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Beacon
11-07-12, 20:33
$750 for a Sport? That's easy $100 more than the Sport should sell for. And my local Wally World has a Windham for $800. No wonder you talked him into the Troy. At those prices it's competitive.

yossarian42
11-08-12, 06:20
$750 for a Sport? That's easy $100 more than the Sport should sell for. And my local Wally World has a Windham for $800. No wonder you talked him into the Troy. At those prices it's competitive.

It's NY. that gun store is one of the better ones price wise too. Just the way it is here. Pay more, get less in every scenerio.

fdxpilot
11-09-12, 19:10
I looked at a Troy in black at my local Dick's here in Charleston. Rifle looked great and was impressed with the whole set-up, kinda of like the stock.

I noticed the grip was loose, seems the grip screw had to be tightened down, just needed a little lock-tite.

Brought it up to the 18 year old snot nosed smart ass behind the counter and was told it was no big deal because it was a display rifle, explained the out come when the grip falls off.

His reply was more stupid shit so I said my thank you and headed out the door.

If I was not picking up a 6920 this week I would grab one of these in a heart beat.

I had to stop by my local Dick's today. Since I already have a couple Colt's, a BCM, a DD, and some budget PSA rifles, I decided to give the Troy a try. The kid at the counter tried to get me to buy a S&W, but his boss, who came out to process the sale, gave me a big thumbs up. He said when someone comes in for a Bushy or other lesser rifle, he always tells them to check out the Troy before they buy.

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u520/Mike_Frey/Troy02.jpg

The rollmark

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u520/Mike_Frey/Troy04.jpg

Proper staking

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u520/Mike_Frey/Troy06.jpg

High Tower
11-09-12, 19:32
Just realized I said that this was in Traverse City, MI. It was not, it was Grand Rapids, MI at the Rivertown Mall. If anyone ever gets a chance, see if it is fixed. Or it could be that they sold that one and got another one in. I doubt they will do anything about it anyway.

I was just there and saw one on the rack. Didn't look at it that close though. I'll try and go back to check it out. My BIL is looking for an AR and they have them on sale until tomorrow.

yossarian42
11-09-12, 20:28
We took my friends troy to the range today. Ill add to those who said it had a nice trigger, it does. Felt well balanced to me, and light. I didn't shoot it much, was helping him get it zeroed and he's new to AR's and shooting in general so I can't speak for accuracy but he seemed to do pretty well with it. I like the stock too.

Edit: forgot to mention the mag well was very tight. My pmag wouldn't even fit. The troy battle mag was tight. GI mags drop free. Not as big an issue for us in NY because civilians can't use pmags or anything anyway. 10 round limit

Kaw77
11-10-12, 20:48
I checked with the local Dick's here, asked if they had received the FDE yet - No -
I had decided to give it 1 more try
I live in the Tulsa area, this weekend is the Wanenmacher Gun Show
I purchased a Colt 6720 MOE FDE. - basically within $100 of the Troy
I was really very interested in the Troy but this is not settling or compromising
finish is even, very good, no flashing or sharp edges
I have not found any reason to question my decision - weather and work this weekend - next weekend to USSA - the range where I am a member

wallace91
11-11-12, 16:31
More pics:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8176709489_a6770d1ca7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176709489/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176709489/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8176739886_c2f76b8fd6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176739886/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176739886/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8067/8176705597_60f0fde124_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176705597/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176705597/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8176757672_093eba3582_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176757672/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78619575@N05/8176757672/) by wfonda91 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78619575@N05/), on Flickr

JB326
11-11-12, 17:19
I saw this morning on his Facebook page that Frank Proctor/ Way of the Gun is working with Troy to produce the Proctor carbine. The prototype looks very similar to the Dick's model but with a 14.5 barrel, hider/ comp/ QD suppressor mount, and a McCormick flat face trigger. It was also finished in FDE.

I would say that this speaks pretty highly of their rifle if he is putting his name on it.

Airhasz
11-11-12, 17:35
I saw this morning on his Facebook page that Frank Proctor/ Way of the Gun is working with Troy to produce the Proctor carbine. The prototype looks very similar to the Dick's model but with a 14.5 barrel, hider/ comp/ QD suppressor mount, and a McCormick flat face trigger. It was also finished in FDE.

I would say that this speaks pretty highly of their rifle if he is putting his name on it.

Probably speaks pretty high of the price tag also kinda like the dillo co rifle.

jaxman7
11-11-12, 18:16
My best friend just bought one of these things today.

First impressions:

1. Gas block is set screw type and one of the allen screws is staked.

2. The stock, much to my surprise, I actually liked. Cheek weld is similar to say...a CTR

3. BCG is full auto and decent staking. Bolt didn't have any markings that I saw. Will get to play with it this weekend so more info to follow.

4. Came with a carbine buffer and castle nut was staked well.

5. The pistol grip I REALLY liked. The older I get the smaller grip I prefer and I have long fingers.

Thats it for now. If anyone has questions or needs pics of anything let me know.

-Jax

tw4
11-12-12, 10:47
great pics THX!

Kochman
11-13-12, 09:19
My best friend just bought one of these things today.

First impressions:

1. Gas block is set screw type and one of the allen screws is staked.

2. The stock, much to my surprise, I actually liked. Cheek weld is similar to say...a CTR

3. BCG is full auto and decent staking. Bolt didn't have any markings that I saw. Will get to play with it this weekend so more info to follow.

4. Came with a carbine buffer and castle nut was staked well.

5. The pistol grip I REALLY liked. The older I get the smaller grip I prefer and I have long fingers.

Thats it for now. If anyone has questions or needs pics of anything let me know.

-Jax

Can anyone comment more on the buffer that is used. I haven't heard much talk about it.

I'm loving the pics. Keep them coming. Every time I come to this thread I hope to see a FDE picture. :cool:

djmorris
11-13-12, 09:22
Can anyone comment more on the buffer that is used. I haven't heard much talk about it.

I'm loving the pics. Keep them coming. Every time I come to this thread I hope to see a FDE picture. :cool:

The buffer in my brother's Troy Carbine is unmarked. Typically an unmarked buffer will indicate a carbine rather than H buffer, but I will weigh it when I get the chance to confirm.

pmedic920
11-13-12, 15:46
I am ready for my second AR, and this Troy is it, however i want the FDE. The closest Dicks is 150 miles away so ive been calling all the stores within 200 miles. None of the gun counter people that ive spoken to have seen the FDE in house, nor can they even guess when they might get any. A few of them even told me that they dont even have a number that they can order with. Does anybody here have any inside info on the topic. I can wait but not sure how long. Ive got the monkey on my back.

theblackknight
11-13-12, 17:01
Hey guys just seen this thread.

I shot with Frank Proctor this weekend. He was shooting his all troy rifle, had his name on the lower. Seemed like a normal middy with a alpha tube and that buttstock thingy. One thing he did mention when I was molesting it is it was anodized and cerecoted.

Kochman
11-13-12, 18:22
I am ready for my second AR, and this Troy is it, however i want the FDE. The closest Dicks is 150 miles away so ive been calling all the stores within 200 miles. None of the gun counter people that ive spoken to have seen the FDE in house, nor can they even guess when they might get any. A few of them even told me that they dont even have a number that they can order with. Does anybody here have any inside info on the topic. I can wait but not sure how long. Ive got the monkey on my back.

Somebody called up Troy Industries last month and asked about the FDE model and they said they haven't started shipping them to stores yet but were planning to in 2 weeks. It's been more than 2 weeks, and nobody has mentioned seeing one yet, but I hope it will be soon bc I am waiting for a FDE model as well.

Try calling Troy and see what they say.

BlueFalcon81
11-13-12, 19:37
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/rifle-firepower/battler-from-troy/

snakedoc257
11-13-12, 19:54
One followed me home from Dick's Saturday. I love this rifle.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=e88446df51&view=att&th=13afbe5ed76b53a9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1418561613264322560-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-_8KhE3LJj3sYjh-G6PuAg&sadet=1352858014668&sads=Emjs53uvUFUy-Jd6N6ka8TxauOE

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=e88446df51&view=att&th=13afbe5ed50b5350&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1418561588185530368-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-_8KhE3LJj3sYjh-G6PuAg&sadet=1352858054621&sads=qA9SaLxIGInBr7PBImK4m7rBhhI

jaxman7
11-14-12, 07:23
Can anyone credibly state info about the sourcing and testing of their bcgs?

The one I looked at had no markings on it besides SD1 on the left side of the carrier.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-11-11_16-07-29_356.jpg

-Jax

Tokarev
11-14-12, 15:16
My carrier is semi-auto and is unmarked.

I assume Troy is buying carriers from whomever can sell them carriers at this point.

jaxman7
11-14-12, 18:01
Tokarev,

Know anybody else that got their rifle with a semi bcg?

-Jax

snakedoc257
11-14-12, 18:33
Mine is a semi auto.

jaxman7
11-14-12, 18:48
Gotcha,

Tokarev and snakedoc I am assuming you guys both bought the complete rifle and not just the upper?

-Jax

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-14-12, 19:02
Yikes. Nevermind. Really old post I was responding to.

ROG Tactical
11-14-12, 19:21
Can anyone credibly state info about the sourcing and testing of their bcgs?

The one I looked at had no markings on it besides SD1 on the left side of the carrier.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-11-11_16-07-29_356.jpg

-Jax

Could that be "SDI" and not "SD1"? Sabre Defense?

jaxman7
11-14-12, 19:46
Ah...could be Mike K.

I just took this pic oogling over my buddies rifle real quick. I'll get a closer look at it this weekend.

-Jax

ROG Tactical
11-14-12, 19:51
My carrier is semi-auto and is unmarked.

I assume Troy is buying carriers from whomever can sell them carriers at this point.

Tokarev,

Know anybody else that got their rifle with a semi bcg?

-Jax

Mine is a semi auto.

Gotcha,

Tokarev and snakedoc I am assuming you guys both bought the complete rifle and not just the upper?

-Jax

I do not know how Troy is configuring their current uppers, but the BCGs in the uppers I have, from last year, are semi-auto. The Dick's pricing is puzzling...you can get a complete Troy for less than a Troy upper. Who in their right mind would buy a Troy upper in this scenario...lol?

txn
11-15-12, 00:49
I'm working the gun counter at dick's part time until I head down to Ft. Benning. We had two in stock yesterday while I was working, not sure now, they have been selling well since the election. I took it down as well and everything checks out, it is a semi-auto BC. Everything else looks squared away. The manager told me it was an exclusive dick's deal when he was showing me around. I haven't looked much into it. I can call troy and see if the FDE is slated for us.

As an aside, I haven't posted here in several months, and this site honestly made me better at selling firearms. I can educate people on what they might really be looking for, and I often refer them to this site when they say they want to do research on AR's. So thanks to everyone for the info on this site.

jaxman7
11-15-12, 05:37
A guy at a gun counter that may have a clue?

I thought my feet were getting a little chilly. Hell must be freezing over!

-Jax

snakedoc257
11-15-12, 05:59
Yes, I bought the hole gun. I did find it was cheaper to buy the whole gun than the upper. As far as I know Dick's is the only place that is selling them at this time. I wasn't as excited about them when they were $1099, but this last Saturday all the firearms were 10% off and you got an additional 10% off if you put it on their credit card plus a $90 gift card to be used in the store. With that said their credit card is not a good deal and the interest rate should be illegal. I did it just to get the price and sent them a check.

GH41
11-15-12, 06:34
Yes, I bought the hole gun. I did find it was cheaper to buy the whole gun than the upper. As far as I know Dick's is the only place that is selling them at this time. I wasn't as excited about them when they were $1099, but this last Saturday all the firearms were 10% off and you got an additional 10% off if you put it on their credit card plus a $90 gift card to be used in the store. With that said their credit card is not a good deal and the interest rate should be illegal. I did it just to get the price and sent them a check.

Our Dick's will not apply the card discount for gun or ammo purchases. Maybe its a state thing. GH

EZar15
11-15-12, 10:45
Picked one up yesterday. My 1st AR.
This rifle is tight and clean cut. very nice quality. Love it so far. Cant wait to try it out in the range.
I live in NY so things I hate:

-Pinned stock, and it is pinned at the longest length. not comfortable. wish they pinned at at 2nd position at least LOL.
-10 rd magazine
-Rear sight is not spring loaded? WTF
-No sling attachment included! i have to shell out another $39 if I want to mount sling to Alpha rail, or a QD sling attachment ($19) if I want to attach to the stock
-No case included

I paid $1000 w/tax for the rifle and 100 rds of remington 223 ammo.

Anyone live is the westchester area? where do yuo go to shoot an AR?

txn
11-15-12, 13:10
A guy at a gun counter that may have a clue?

I thought my feet were getting a little chilly. Hell must be freezing over!

-Jax

I know! I feel a little dumber every time I step behind that damn thing.

Really, I don't sell guns because I like fleecing people. I had the choice between selling shoes part time or guns. Thankfully this is only temporary while I wait for my seat in IBOLC.

Now as far as the rifle goes, Dick's has a sale on it for $100 off the regular price. Anyone with a Military discount can get it with a %10 percent discount. So that takes the price down to 899. That is at the store I am at in Colorado Springs. Just trying to help anyone that might be interested in it.

Kochman
11-15-12, 15:13
Now as far as the rifle goes, Dick's has a sale on it for $100 off the regular price. Anyone with a Military discount can get it with a %10 percent discount. So that takes the price down to 899. That is at the store I am at in Colorado Springs. Just trying to help anyone that might be interested in it.

Would you be willing to call Troy up and get some down low employee details regarding when FDE models will be available. I know a few people in this thread are interested, and I am waiting for it before I buy.

txn
11-15-12, 15:49
Would you be willing to call Troy up and get some down low employee details regarding when FDE models will be available. I know a few people in this thread are interested, and I am waiting for it before I buy.

Shouldn't be a problem, as soon as I have the info ready I will post it here. If anyone has anything questions I would be happy to see what I can answer.

yossarian42
11-17-12, 10:24
Shouldn't be a problem, as soon as I have the info ready I will post it here. If anyone has anything questions I would be happy to see what I can answer.

I've been hearing rumors that this gun is made by delton.

BlueFalcon81
11-17-12, 11:50

I doubt that a company with Troy's reputation would go to a company with delton's reputation for manufacturing. That would be silly and just a plain bad business move.

txn
11-17-12, 17:30

I hadn't heard that, but I did look and see that Delton makes a similar looking rifle. From what I have gathered it is a Troy rifle made by Troy.

jaxman7
11-17-12, 18:32
Could that be "SDI" and not "SD1"? Sabre Defense?

Mike K,

Got a closer look at my buddy's Troy rifle. It definitely is marked SDI and not SD1 like I previously mentioned. Did a Google search on Sabre's BCGs and did not come up with a good pic. Does SDI markings make it a Sabre BCG?

Also the rumor about Del Ton being the maker of these guns is just that until definite proof. So be careful about the rumor spread.

-Jax

BlueFalcon81
11-17-12, 20:28
I just read an artical in rifle firepower magazine about this rifle. And these rifles are not made by delton. Troy now manufactures ARs and suppressors. The lower in the artical was actually rolled safe semi and auto but was pulled off the the line at Troy's plant before the machining for the sear was done.

ROG Tactical
11-18-12, 01:24
Mike K,

...Does SDI markings make it a Sabre BCG?

Also the rumor about Del Ton being the maker of these guns is just that until definite proof. So be careful about the rumor spread.

-Jax

Sabre was my first thought, but I cannot say for certain.

I have never heard of the Del Ton rumor...curious where that rumor came from.

HKallday
11-18-12, 07:53
This thread is the only place I have ever even heard talk of these being made by Delton.

My guess would be whoever started this rumor probably owns a Delton.:D

djmorris
11-18-12, 08:00
Delton equips one of their rifles with similar gear (not even that similar, just Troy) but it's not even close really. As if Troy would ever have a wreck of a company like Delton produce something for them. :sarcastic:

Quiet-Matt
11-18-12, 08:02
I doubt that a company with Troy's reputation would go to a company with delton's reputation for manufacturing. That would be silly and just a plain bad business move.

Dumber moves have ben made. See MagPul + Bushmaster :suicide:

djmorris
11-18-12, 08:20
I've never heard this "rumor" outside of this thread. The sole reason is because Delton used to have a rifle that came equipped with a Troy TRX rail and the older version of the Troy Battleaxe Stock. Anyone who actually believes it is true obviously owns a Delton or just frequents the AR15 forums. Please, let's lay this to rest before it gets outta hand.

SpookyPistolero
11-18-12, 09:30
FWIW, folks with a Dick's nearby may want to check out the 'Black Friday' sale on this rifle. It's literally the first time I've truly considered leaving my home (except for work) on Black Friday.

Quiet-Matt
11-18-12, 09:47
I didn't see anything in the sale ad. But I did see that all of their ammo will be 50% off. Whats the deal you speak of Spooky?

djmorris
11-18-12, 09:47
I didn't see anything in the sale ad. But I did see that all of their ammo will be 50% off. Whats the deal you speak of Spooky?

$100 off firearms normally $1,000+ is the deal he's speaking of, I believe.

SpookyPistolero
11-18-12, 09:53
Sorry guys, should have been more clear...

It says it's a "pre-black friday door buster" (I think maybe that means because it opens at midnight??) It's $799 for the Troy rifle. For me that might be too good a deal to pass up.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/20121118_110827.jpg

BTL BRN
11-18-12, 10:13
Can they do NCIS background checks at 12 am? :confused:

yossarian42
11-18-12, 10:31
The del ton thing I first saw here, then someone said it on a local firearms forum. He did state that he read it on Arf, and pointed out that the similar del ton is discontinued.

To me, if I were troy and I was going to start making my own I'd inform del ton they have to discontinue that rifle, so there's no confusion with ours. So that's more likely what happened IMO.

txn
11-18-12, 12:39
Can they do NCIS background checks at 12 am? :confused:

Some states can, they have several going until 1 a.m. I know in Colorado the CBI stops doing checks at 9 a.m. for black Friday. According to the info I saw California is closed, but in other places throughout the country the background checks will provide extended hours for the holiday. I would check with your dealers to be sure though.

eyeson247
11-18-12, 13:06
Sorry guys, should have been more clear...

It says it's a "pre-black friday door buster" (I think maybe that means because it opens at midnight??) It's $799 for the Troy rifle. For me that might be too good a deal to pass up.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/20121118_110827.jpg

FYI, the above pricing is good NOW. I bought yesterday for 1099-100. This morning they refunded me the difference.

End result 719.98 after mil discount, not including tax.

SpookyPistolero
11-18-12, 14:18
Yeah, I went to the store today (couldn't resist). Walked out with a Troy carbine for ~$720 after signing up for a store credit card. This was the last one they had other than the display model. I'm pretty psyched, except for the fact that it has to sit "under the tree" until Christmas per the lady of the house. :nono: :D

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3587.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3588.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3589.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3591.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3593.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3594.jpg

Roklok
11-18-12, 15:34
On sale at Dicks for $799.

yossarian42
11-18-12, 16:25
At that price it's unbelievable. I'm tempted to get one.

gigag04
11-18-12, 16:27
On sale at Dicks for $799.

Wow...My wife would likely kill me with it if I snapped one up today, but I'm still tempted.

chuckman
11-18-12, 16:47
When I saw the price at Dick's in today's circular I shit my pants....if we weren't so serious about retiring our 30-year mortgage in 5 years I would buy one in about 2 seconds.

evilblackrifle
11-18-12, 16:50
Called them up. Black only, no FDE.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Magsz
11-18-12, 17:13
They gave me a line of bullshit about the offer only being available for special order. They would not sell me a rifle in the store despite having plenty in stock.

Airhasz
11-18-12, 17:56
They gave me a line of bullshit about the offer only being available for special order. They would not sell me a rifle in the store despite having plenty in stock.

When is it being delivered:confused:

Kokopelli
11-18-12, 18:24
I looked at one there today.. A couple of good deals on safes too, but you got to order then on-line to get the additional 20% off.. $899 safe for $479.. Ron

Magsz
11-18-12, 18:35
When is it being delivered:confused:

THAT is the question that no one had an answer to...

I have a feeling i am going to be sitting and waiting for months at a time BUT the form 4473 is only good for 30 days so....yeah.

I simply dont know on this one man.

Quite frankly, the deal was too good to pass up otherwise i would have told them to go fudge their own faces. It is a SCAM to order the rifle when they have a complete inventory available (the guy behind the counter told me they had a bunch in stock after i asked). I have never in my life ever been particularly interested in Black Friday sales but as i mentioned earlier, this is a hell of a rifle for that price.

They simply wanted more rifles on hand to sell on black Friday.

This is like wanting to buy a football at sports authority that is right on the shelf but they tell you that they have to order it for you. Absolute BS but ultimately, the consumer, ie ME, DID Have the option of leaving without spending my clams.

I chose to take my chances, hopefully i wont end up regretting it.

As an aside, the manager of the store told me that it should be in in under three weeks as that is the usual transit time from their Atlanta warehouse. I smelled another heaping pile of bullshit with this statement but we will see.

EDIT:

http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal.com/DSG/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2602729&rapid=1839073&pagenumber=6&listingid=-2056255997&ref=%2fdsg%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2602729%26pagenumber%3d6%26rapid%3d1839073%26prvid%3dDSG-121118

The wording here is pretty clear. Take a look.

"IN-STORE ONLY
WHILE SUPPLIES LAST
MSR model selection varies by store based on state and local ordinances.
FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION ARE LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND. QUANTITIES VARY BY STORE. "

I will be calling corporate tomorrow to see what the hell the deal is.

JBecker 72
11-18-12, 19:04
Wow, at that price I might just have to pick one up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2