PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 9 full size: What sights to buy?

smitty704
07-02-12, 00:05
I know this can be a pretty open ended question, but I have been looking at sights tonight and it's almost overwhelming at all of the options on the market.

First, let me tell you what roll this pistol will fill. It will be my home defense, "gun beside the bed" pistol, but also a range gun. It wont be my EDC, the G19 is for carry. The DCAEK is almost installed as well as the RAM, and now it's time for some sights.

The rear sights I have looked at: plain black Warren Tactical sights, plain black Bowie Tactical Concept sights, plain black Novak, 10-8, etc.... What I'm getting at is I like the untraditional black rear with a fiber optic front. I will be shooting mostly indoors at medium to close ranges.

As far as front sights I would like a fiber optic front, probably Dawson Precision. I like the POA/POI of the stock sights and dont want to change it much.

What sights do you guys recommend? What do you think about plain black rear sight? And what heights do you recommend to maintain the POA/POI from the factory sights?

Thanks in advance.

-smitty704

mkmckinley
07-02-12, 00:19
I use the Ameriglo SW-201 (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/sw201.jpg) Pro i-Dot sights for my Glocks and M&Ps. They work great for any defensive role and are as easy to pick up as fiber optic sights. For a defensive gun I stay away from fiber optics because the rods can break. The simple dot-over-dot configuration of the i-dots is intuitive and the orange paint is very fast to acquire. The paint is subjectively 90% as bright as my fiber optic sights in most lighting conditions. I don't notice a difference between trying to track a fiber optic sight and on of the Pro-Glo fronts.

smitty704
07-02-12, 00:56
I use the Ameriglo SW-201 (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/sw201.jpg) Pro i-Dot sights for my Glocks and M&Ps. They work great for any defensive role and are as easy to pick up as fiber optic sights. For a defensive gun I stay away from fiber optics because the rods can break. The simple dot-over-dot configuration of the i-dots is intuitive and the orange paint is very fast to acquire. The paint is subjectively 90% as bright as my fiber optic sights in most lighting conditions. I don't notice a difference between trying to track a fiber optic sight and on of the Pro-Glo fronts.

I just checked those out and they look sweet! They will be on my short list that's for sure.

What do you think about Ameriglo's set with the black serrated rear? I have yet to shoot a pistol equipped wih a black serrated rear.

mkmckinley
07-02-12, 01:32
I have a set with the black serrated rear and a few with the non serrated rear and 6 o'clock tritium ampule. I don't notice a huge difference shooting during the daytime between the two. At night or in low light the ones with tritium are obviously easier to pick up. The rear sight just need to frame the front without distracting the eye or taking focus off the front. I find that serrations get damaged a little over time and the exposed metal is more likely to cause a glinty spot than the standard non-serated rear. That alone has been enough to keep me from buying any more serrated rears for carry pistols.

I do have a pure range/competition gun and on that I use Dawson Precision's excellent serrated adjustable rear and fiber optic front. They're great sights but they live in a padded case when they're not being used at the range.

smitty704
07-02-12, 08:44
I have a set with the black serrated rear and a few with the non serrated rear and 6 o'clock tritium ampule. I don't notice a huge difference shooting during the daytime between the two. At night or in low light the ones with tritium are obviously easier to pick up. The rear sight just need to frame the front without distracting the eye or taking focus off the front. I find that serrations get damaged a little over time and the exposed metal is more likely to cause a glinty spot than the standard non-serated rear. That alone has been enough to keep me from buying any more serrated rears for carry pistols.

I do have a pure range/competition gun and on that I use Dawson Precision's excellent serrated adjustable rear and fiber optic front. They're great sights but they live in a padded case when they're not being used at the range.

Excellent advance sir, thank you very much. It will stay away from using the serratic rear sights on my carry gun. I really like the look of those Ameriglo Pro iDot's.

Jonny4523
07-02-12, 10:41
I'm a big fan of the Dawson's for competition/range use. But for my bedside gun I use TruGlo's TFOs. Have you given any thought to something like that? It has the fiber optics in front and back that pick up a lot of light during a day at the range. But at the same time, it can sit in the drawer for weeks without seeing any light. Then you get it out when it is pitch black and your dots are still as bright as ever.

smitty704
07-02-12, 10:44
I'm a big fan of the Dawson's for competition/range use. But for my bedside gun I use TruGlo's TFOs. Have you given any thought to something like that? It has the fiber optics in front and back that pick up a lot of light during a day at the range. But at the same time, it can sit in the drawer for weeks without seeing any light. Then you get it out when it is pitch black and your dots are still as bright as ever.

Ya know, I have looked at the TFO's but for some reason the massive front sight turns me off. Maybe I'm being closed minded. I the front sight prone to breaking? I have this is true but obviously haven't seen it myself.

Jonny4523
07-02-12, 10:52
Ya know, I have looked at the TFO's but for some reason the massive front sight turns me off. Maybe I'm being closed minded. I the front sight prone to breaking? I have this is true but obviously haven't seen it myself.

I've put these sights on 2 pistols and neither one has ever experienced a break. The first pistol is what I got started in USPSA with. The second is my EDC and bedside pistol. I have heard of them breaking, but I have quite a few rounds through both of these and have never had them break. But I've never dropped it on concrete or anything like that either.

I have had several front FO break with my Dawson sights. But I run a pretty small diameter rod that see a lot more rounds than any of the pistols with the TFOs. The front FO on the Dawsons are also very cheap and easy to replace and only take about a minutes to do. Not sure how much a replacement for TFO is or how difficult it is to replace.

jumpthestack
07-02-12, 11:33
I like the Warren Tactical 2 dot night sights. I used to have a SIG with the TFOs. Aside from any question of the tubes falling out, I think the front sight is way too big on the TFOs.

If you're worried about exact POI, you can always get a slightly higher front sight and file it down to the right height. Also, a lot of the aftermarket sights are slightly oversized in the base to ensure a tight fit on all pistols, so you might need to sand the base of the sight down a little bit to get it to go in the dovetail.

TAZ
07-02-12, 13:04
My glock wear the Ameriglo's linked to above and my MP9 has Trijicon HD's. They are very similar in appearance, but not in price, however for some reason the HD seem to allow for a faster sight picture. Not sure if it's due to the lower recoil of the 9 or just enough difference in the sights, but the HD works better for ME.

Neither sight set is a bulls eye sight though. Both have big front dots that obscure a lot of real estate on a target so there is a trade off there. How much is going to be purely subjective.

Also used Warrens as well. They worked well and offered very good accuracy as well as speed. However as my eyes crap out I find the big orange ball much easier to track than the white dot of the Warrens.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-02-12, 13:40
The Ameriglo Hackathorn sights are very nice. Wide rear notch and a tritium front with bright orange ring.

smitty704
07-02-12, 14:30
The Amerglo's look promising. Thanks guys.

durus5995
07-08-12, 00:18
My M&P has the Trijicon HDs and I really like them. You do have to have to adjust your POI just a little bit higher because they are a taller sight. Plus they are great for running one handed failure drills. As far as color I prefer the yellow over the orange. My Glock 19 had an orange set and they were alright but I can find the yellows on my M&P quicker. I think their is more of a contrast.

dauph
07-08-12, 00:49
I have the trijicon HD with yellow front on my M&P and like them a lot. I like the rear sight, pretty much black unless in low light and the front is nice during lighted conditions and works great in low light. It did take some getting used to them though. even though I could pick up the front quickly I wasn't used to the big yellow dot. Sometimes it seemed that you are not lined up but you are.

I have been using Mepro sights and will stick with the Trijicons.

TomMcC
07-08-12, 01:03
I'm pretty much using the sights you described, FO front and plain black rear. I like this setup the best and have been using it on my M & P for years now. I found that when I fired in low light even a dull low level flash caused me to lose the front nightsite. I use the flashlight if necessary. With my older eyes the one bright dot is very easy to pick up.

snakedoctor
07-08-12, 01:46
I'd take a closer look at 10-8 Performance. Plain rear with Tritium Front. I have these sight on all my handguns.

RogerinTPA
07-08-12, 02:22

Agreed. Except at the time, the only ones available were the green FSs. But they are the heat, and I have them installed on 3 of my M&Ps, with Warrens Straight Eights on my 9c.

majorleaguekennels
07-08-12, 10:45
I am running ameriglo SW-433B (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/sw433.jpg) They have the serrated rear sight, and i actually dropped my pistol on the rear sight, (this was a complete accident and not some tuff-nest bs test) It did have some bright spots on the upper left corner. I took a normal old sharpie and touched the area up and its looks like new. sorry for the baddie pic's but they are all i had. back to the point. I love this set of sights and recommend them, and i wouldn't be scared of serrated rear sights.

HeavyDuty
07-08-12, 12:19
I'm perfectly happy with the stock front and 10-8 rear that I have on my 40C, and plan on doing the same with my newer 9FS at some point.

RCO'B
07-15-12, 17:50
I'm currently running the Ameriglo/Bowie Tactical on my M&P9, couldn't be happier.

bobnieder
07-15-12, 18:55
+1 on the TFO's.

One thing I like about them is that they maintain the geometry of the stock 3 dot sights -- no learning curve. And they show up well in a variety of lghting conditions. But it is a very personal call. Best wishes whatever you go with!

marh415
07-15-12, 19:13
I have the Ameriglo Hacks on my Glock 17, I would also take a look at the I-Dot Pro's as well.

mallowpufft
07-15-12, 20:08
I'm currently running the Ameriglo/Bowie Tactical on my M&P9, couldn't be happier.

I've been eyeing those for a while for my compact. I get annoyed at the sharp edges of the factory sights that either dig in to me or catch my shirt when I'm carrying concealed. Are those rounded off more on the Bowie's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Warp
07-15-12, 23:41
My Glocks (my only defensive semi autos) have seen several different night sites. Glock factory, trijicon, meprolight, ameriglo, and I think something I am forgetting.

A few years ago I settled on the Ameriglo Operators with green front and yellow rear tritium inserts. The front site always stands out more than the rear. In daylight the front site has a nice, visible, white band around it while the rear are just plain black. At night the front site is green while the rear is yellow/orange. I have always used green on night sites, it is supposedly easier for the eye to pick up, and the green tritium is supposedly brighter/has a loner half-life than the yellow or orange.

smitty704
07-16-12, 07:19
I am running ameriglo SW-433B (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/sw433.jpg) They have the serrated rear sight, and i actually dropped my pistol on the rear sight, (this was a complete accident and not some tuff-nest bs test) It did have some bright spots on the upper left corner. I took a normal old sharpie and touched the area up and its looks like new. sorry for the baddie pic's but they are all i had. back to the point. I love this set of sights and recommend them, and i wouldn't be scared of serrated rear sights.

These are right up my alley. I can't get away from the plain rear sights as much as I try. I have looked at all of the sight combos mentioned and they are VERY nice for sure. BUT, I keep crawling back to the plain rear sights.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I will keep all of these in mind before I make my final decision. I will let you guys know what I finally decide to go with.

Thanks again.

mpardun
07-16-12, 08:06
I used the Ameriglo/Bowie on my Glocks - loved the orange outlined tritium. I think target acquisition and front sight awareness is superior to anything else I have used. I started with 10-8 rear /Ameriglo front with my 3 M&P's.

Last year bought my first M&P (from Grant) with Trijicon HD's and a full compliment of Apex gear on it and absolutely love the front sight!
http://www.trijicon.com/images/general/hd_top.jpghttp://www.trijicon.com/images/product_previews/SA137O.jpg

While the rear is nothing special (still like 10-8's & Warren's), it is much better than previous Novak style Triji rears on my 1911's.

They are pricey at $150 +/-, but well worth it. I bought the MGW jig for M&P's and upgraded all my M&P's and a few buddies. Well worth it...the quality of Trijicon is (always) excellent IMHO.

curriek
07-16-12, 08:17
I use the 10-8 plain rear along with the 10-8 fiber optic sight. I outline the front sight with high vis orange paint. The 10-8s are very easy to pick up and I would use them on all my handguns if I could.

smitty704
07-16-12, 09:56
I use the 10-8 plain rear along with the 10-8 fiber optic sight. I outline the front sight with high vis orange paint. The 10-8s are very easy to pick up and I would use them on all my handguns if I could.

I was looking at the same sights you just mentioned this morning. And for the price it's hard to beat. 10-8 fiber optic front, and 10-8 black serrated rear.

curriek
07-16-12, 10:36
I was looking at the same sights you just mentioned this morning. And for the price it's hard to beat. 10-8 fiber optic front, and 10-8 black serrated rear.

My setup:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0542.jpg

ruchik
07-16-12, 11:39
I've got the Ameriglo I-dot setup as well, with a green, white outline front dot and yellow rear dot. A word of caution if you are considering purchasing a two dot sight setup. For me, at least, it is indeed faster to align a dot over a dot than it is to align a traditional three dot setup. However, it is difficult to tell how vertically far apart the two dots are supposed to be. From the shooter's perspective they should not be touching, but neither should they be super far apart. As a result, I tend to vertically string my shots. I'm fairly sure one is supposed to just ignore the rear dot and focus only on the front dot if there's enough light out (hence no outline on the rear dot) but I find it almost impossible to ignore the rear dot. If you can, I strongly recommend you take a look at sights like these in person before buying.

smitty704
07-16-12, 13:09
My setup:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0542.jpg

Sweet! I need that setup. That finish is also bad ass!

Thanks for posting.