PDA

View Full Version : LMT Production Question

midSCarolina
07-02-12, 11:41
I have pretty much already decided that I am going to go with LMT for my next rifle but I was just wondering what the differences between the MRP series and the standard LMT are (I am planning on going w/ a 14.5" w/ carbine length gas system). I understand the whole monolithic rail thing and the fact that the MRP has proprietary barrels that can be easily interchanged which is nice but not critical to my uses. My main concern is differences in the production methods, materials, and quality of the parts / machining for MRP vs Defender (e.g. is the MRP produced to different standards than the Defender series). Also is the enhanced bolt worth the extra cost. The rifle will be for general use... target, classes, home defense. I will mainly be using it out at my farm which can be both dusty as hell or really damp (swamp) depending on where you are. Thanks

Fetep
07-02-12, 13:22
I have pretty much already decided that I am going to go with LMT for my next rifle but I was just wondering what the differences between the MRP series and the standard LMT are (I am planning on going w/ a 14.5" w/ carbine length gas system). I understand the whole monolithic rail thing and the fact that the MRP has proprietary barrels that can be easily interchanged which is nice but not critical to my uses. My main concern is differences in the production methods, materials, and quality of the parts / machining for MRP vs Defender (e.g. is the MRP produced to different standards than the Defender series). Also is the enhanced bolt worth the extra cost. The rifle will be for general use... target, classes, home defense. I will mainly be using it out at my farm which can be both dusty as hell or really damp (swamp) depending on where you are. Thanks

No experience with the Enhanced bolt, but I own the Basic and the MRP CQB, the Basic is carbine length gas system, and the MRP is a midlength gas system. Both run flawlessly and are built on the defender lower. They are both tack drivers and make even me look like I know what I'm doing at 50 and 100 yards (and that's saying something.)

Fetep

afroney
07-03-12, 21:53
Depends on what you are looking for.

Honestly, if you aren't in the market for a piston gun (Piston MRP) or don't need to swap barrels, I'd stick with the standard model. My only gripes about the MRP are price, the proprietary barrel, and the weight of the MRP system.

I have a 16" MRP piston. Love the piston aspect. However, if LMT offered a piston in non-MRP models, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

JSGlock34
07-03-12, 22:02
I've had good experience with LMT rifles in the standard 16" and 10.5" varieties. I'm intrigued by the MRP and I've seen nice groups out of MRP rifles, but I do not own one. The new, lighter weight LM8MRP chassis (http://www.lewismachine.net/media/LM8MRP_LM8MWS%20Final.pdf) is promising.

High Tower
07-03-12, 23:12
I have an enhanced bolt in one of my ar's. Jury is still out if its worth the extra expense. I've never had any issues with it, but I've never had any issues with the regular bolt either as long as its a quality make. The enhanced bolt is easier to clean.

Based on what you are looking for, I'd go with the Standard 16. I like the idea of being able to switch barrels and what not, but if that's not high on your priorities, then go for the standard.