PDA

View Full Version : True or False: The Rainier Arms RUC will have reliability equal to that of top brands

Amur
07-02-12, 12:20
Thinking about picking a ruc up. Seems to have all the features i am looking for at a good price, at the rainier arms guys have been helpful willing to change 1 or 2 things based on my desired set up. This will be 2nd and last rifle for quite some time (looking for a back up to my go to BCM)

Here is the question: Do you believe the RUC based on its components and construction given a decent sample size would have reliability equal to that of similar grade that we all hold to the standard: (BCM, COLT, DD etc).

Obviously, there is no way to "factualize" this with out getting 5 rifles of each and putting 60k roudns through each, and the RUC has not been out long enough to gather enough end user results as far as I can see. (And have done plenty of searching both here and other places where you find pretty much nothing but good reviews). I am not questioning if the RUC is a POS or anything, from what I can see, it has good parts, good construction and no know issues. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts other wise. Also, I am not sure what bolt CG they are using in the weapon.

Based on what you know, do you feel confident, that construction and part components are on par for a hard use rifle that would give reliability equal to those brand we hold as standards. I am talking long term, hard use.

I am also looking at some custom noveske builds which would come in about 300$ more expensive.

Thanks,
Amurr

docsherm
07-02-12, 12:41
Here is a good writeup:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93369

Amur
07-02-12, 12:53
Thanks yes, I have read that entire thread. An example of what I am talking about would be how do you feel about the samson/rainier rail? Is it 100% top of line reliability? It has some good features in feel and weight, but will it really compare to a noveske NSR or DD type rail for reliability?

Here is a good writeup:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93369

sadmin
07-02-12, 13:41
Hard use is subjective based on you personally; I'm certain you know that. That being said if I was buying my last rifle for a long time, the Noveske trumps the RUC due to the barrel. The rail is not something I would worry too much about unless you question the lock-up method of the Samson. If you do, well then you would be hard pressed to find something more "durable" than a DD rail. If I was in your shoes I would look into the differences between the RUC LPK and the Noveske LPK. That's my take anyway. Good luck!

Amur
07-02-12, 14:24
Good thoughts, my one comment is that the RUC supposedly uses a DD Cold hammer forged mid contour(not M4 profile) or light weight. So i dont think if that is true there should be any concerns about the barrel. LPK and bolt group are the areas where I feel like under the covers you may find some weaknesses but I don't really know. I want to say I heard they use DPMS LPK's?

Hard use is subjective based on you personally; I'm certain you know that. That being said if I was buying my last rifle for a long time, the Noveske trumps the RUC due to the barrel. The rail is not something I would worry too much about unless you question the lock-up method of the Samson. If you do, well then you would be hard pressed to find something more "durable" than a DD rail. If I was in your shoes I would look into the differences between the RUC LPK and the Noveske LPK. That's my take anyway. Good luck!

Clem
07-02-12, 14:56
Good thoughts, my one comment is that the RUC supposedly uses a DD Cold hammer forged mid contour(not M4 profile) or light weight. So i dont think if that is true there should be any concerns about the barrel. LPK and bolt group are the areas where I feel like under the covers you may find some weaknesses but I don't really know. I want to say I heard they use DPMS LPK's?

According to this thread, they use DPMS LPKs.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102138

Servo
07-02-12, 16:11
Yep, they use DPMS LPKs.
I called to ask them when ordering a Lower for a build recently.

Tzook
07-02-12, 17:01
Those Samson rails are good to go bro!!! I beat the living shit out of a midlength one on the last rifle. Super light, and super durable.

titanse05
07-02-12, 18:13
My vote is TRUE

There are no weakness in the RUC IMHO. The bolt is mpi hp tested and even the DPMS LPK is nothing to worry about because its not using the entire kit, only a small portion of it (safety, takedown pins, couple springs). The trigger is all Giessele and the endplate and castle nut are a different brand.

I have one of the first 100 RUCs and I couldn't possibly be happier with it. I swapped out the Imod for a STR, added a short throw BAD-ASS ambi safety, and a Norgon ambi mag release. Fully loaded it weighs a little less than 8 pounds with an Aimpoint H1 + DD mount.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/titanse05/Gun%20stuff/Rainier%20Arms%20Urban%20Carbine%20RUC%20-%2014.5%20LW43_zps30455209.jpg

Voltron
07-03-12, 01:13
TRUE!

I have had a RUC since February and I haven't had a single problem with it. I have put about 2k rounds down the pipe since I purchased it, and the first 20 rounds were the only ones that weren't perfect. The rifle new was really tight throughout the gun, so it needed some cycling to break it in, it still never had any ftf/fte or anything but the gun was just a typical break in. The gun is built very well with HIGH quality parts and I'm sure that it will give me a lifetime of enjoyment.

I changed a couple parts on the gun, but all in all its the same as any other RUC. Mine was built with a DD LPK, I know that cause I asked the builder as it was assembled while I was waiting in the store. I have nothing but great things to say about the RUC, and for that matter the same goes for the entire Rainier Arms operation.

I feel that the RUC can and will hold up to any abuse that any big name rifle manufacturers guns with handle if not more. I will tell you, if you get one you won't regret it.