PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Valley Armory?

SirRipo
07-02-12, 13:10
I found a link to a company called Valley Armory on a different website after someone mentioned their lowers and had a pretty positive review. Here's the skinny: $400 (with $5 flat rate shipping), including a BCG and CH, MOE handguard, A2 front sight (not sure if it's an F-marked one, but I will be making a call to get more details at some point and I would have to assume it is). 1:9 twist, which is fine by me as I really only plan on shooting surplus until I get a feel for the platform again (I get my hands on an AR once in a while if I'm visiting family, but am currently building my own). 4140 Chromoly barrel (cleaning is no big deal, as it gives me a nice way to end the day and was drilled into me by my father from a young age).

Anyone ever heard of them? I can't seem to find much in a google search, and I'm wondering if anyone has opinions/reviews. The one or two opinions I've seen are pretty positive, and I feel like this will be a good buy.

KCBRUIN
07-02-12, 17:18
$400 for the whole rifle? Or this?
http://valleyarmory.com/detail.php?pnum=VA-UPMOEB

Just save up your money and buy the BCM. It'll cost you an extra $200-$250 but you won't be sacrificing.

SirRipo
07-03-12, 11:01
$400 for the whole rifle? Or this?
http://valleyarmory.com/detail.php?pnum=VA-UPMOEB

Just save up your money and buy the BCM. It'll cost you an extra $200-$250 but you won't be sacrificing.

Yes, for the complete upper. What would I be sacrificing, exactly, if I purchased this? I'm completely okay with the twist rate and chromoly barrel. Doesn't seem much different from any of the other budget uppers out there, the only thing it doesn't mention specifically on the website is if it's a chrome-lined bore or not (but it also doesn't mention if they use an F-marked FSB, or a few other things). Plus, it's $100 cheaper than most and includes a BCG and CH (something that's not included with a fair number of uppers from what I see).

p22shooter30
07-03-12, 11:26
i havent, but if you want to stay at 400 for a complete upper. try these guys out

http://www.jsesurplus.com/

KCBRUIN
07-03-12, 12:06
Yes, for the complete upper. What would I be sacrificing, exactly, if I purchased this? I'm completely okay with the twist rate and chromoly barrel. Doesn't seem much different from any of the other budget uppers out there, the only thing it doesn't mention specifically on the website is if it's a chrome-lined bore or not (but it also doesn't mention if they use an F-marked FSB, or a few other things). Plus, it's $100 cheaper than most and includes a BCG and CH (something that's not included with a fair number of uppers from what I see).

I'm unsure of what you'd be sacrificing because you don't know anything about who makes the BCG, the barrel, the gas system etc. Peace of mind that it's properly gassed and in spec would be a sacrifice I could name right off the bat. It may work great and never give you a problem. But the BCG could be shit, it could be over or under gassed. I'm not sure why you'd care if the FSB is F marked if you don't care what the barrel is made of or if it's properly lined or of a proper twist rate.

You say you're just going to shoot surplus till you get a feel for the platform again, but what is the purpose of the rifle then? How much are you spending on your complete lower with stock? If you're in the $250-300 range for lower plus $400 for upper you're looking at $700ish for your rifle.

I'll say it just to put it out there the Colt 6920 is $1050 at gandrtactical right now. So for $350 more dollars you get Colt quality, better resale value by far, and two 20 round mags included. Also included in that price is the peace of mind that it's built the proper way, and no corners were cut.

Clem
07-03-12, 12:18
I'm unsure of what you'd be sacrificing because you don't know anything about who makes the BCG, the barrel, the gas system etc. Peace of mind that it's properly gassed and in spec would be a sacrifice I could name right off the bat. It may work great and never give you a problem. But the BCG could be shit, it could be over or under gassed. I'm not sure why you'd care if the FSB is F marked if you don't care what the barrel is made of or if it's properly lined or of a proper twist rate.

You say you're just going to shoot surplus till you get a feel for the platform again, but what is the purpose of the rifle then? How much are you spending on your complete lower with stock? If you're in the $250-300 range for lower plus $400 for upper you're looking at $700ish for your rifle.

I'll say it just to put it out there the Colt 6920 is $1050 at gandrtactical right now. So for $350 more dollars you get Colt quality, better resale value by far, and two 20 round mags included. Also included in that price is the peace of mind that it's built the proper way, and no corners were cut.

I posted this in the Where to Get thread, but I'll repeat here since it's relevant.
DSG is running a July 4th sale, and you can get a 6720 for $945.
Making the difference even smaller.

SirRipo
07-03-12, 12:41

Lower is already built, Del-Ton, with a PSA lower build kit. Total investment so far is $180ish. Once I get back into things, I'll be upgrading parts as I see fit, which include at some point in the future a different upper. The main purpose at this point is to see just how cheap I can build a rifle and have it be of acceptable quality. Maybe I don't follow the belief that everything has to be name brand to be good. It's not as if I'm diving in completely blind, and I'm going to just dump $400 on something without doing more research. Hence my post here, to gather opinions and maybe find out a little bit more about them, since all I can find is a few people here or there stating that they have dealt with the owner and he's a pretty straightforward guy and that he has quality products.

By all means, if I am wrong about something, educate me. But please don't just come in spouting off "buy Brand X because quality/brand name!". Not trying to make enemies or start fights, just looking to learn. No, I don't know who makes the barrel or BCG or anything else but the handguard. But that's why I'm asking. I wanted to know if anyone has made the leap of faith, and what thoughts/comments they had regarding it since there's not exactly a wealth of information on the website.

KCBRUIN
07-03-12, 13:46
You neglected to mention in your first post that your goal was to build the cheapest rifle you could. I was just trying to help steer you in the right direction of a rifle that would be of known quality, and a great place to start off getting familiar with the platform. Buy once cry once.

jklaughrey
07-03-12, 13:59
Lower is already built, Del-Ton, with a PSA lower build kit. Total investment so far is $180ish. Once I get back into things, I'll be upgrading parts as I see fit, which include at some point in the future a different upper. The main purpose at this point is to see just how cheap I can build a rifle and have it be of acceptable quality. Maybe I don't follow the belief that everything has to be name brand to be good. It's not as if I'm diving in completely blind, and I'm going to just dump $400 on something without doing more research. Hence my post here, to gather opinions and maybe find out a little bit more about them, since all I can find is a few people here or there stating that they have dealt with the owner and he's a pretty straightforward guy and that he has quality products.

By all means, if I am wrong about something, educate me. But please don't just come in spouting off "buy Brand X because quality/brand name!". Not trying to make enemies or start fights, just looking to learn. No, I don't know who makes the barrel or BCG or anything else but the handguard. But that's why I'm asking. I wanted to know if anyone has made the leap of faith, and what thoughts/comments they had regarding it since there's not exactly a wealth of information on the website.

You can lead a horse to water....

Look you have been given sound advice. If you decide to not listen fine have fun with a cobbled up out of spec AR. Just don't come back and cry about it after being given quality advice. If you are just here to say "look at me" then perhaps TOS or Facebook would be more to your liking.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

SirRipo
07-03-12, 14:16
You can lead a horse to water....

Look you have been given sound advice. If you decide trouble not listen fine have fun with a cobbled up out of spec AR. Just don't come back and cry about it after being given quality advice. If you are just here to say "look at me" then perhaps TOS or Facebook would be more to your liking.

Wasn't really looking for advice. Yes, I understand that buying things cheap can be a crapshoot. If I find that something seems not right, I'll look at other options. But I created this thread to gain information, not catch flak from people because I'm thinking about buying something that doesn't have a reputable brand name stamped on it. I understand that sometimes you get what you pay for, but I'm hoping that I might find some bargain or something that maybe I can share with everyone else.

jklaughrey
07-03-12, 14:25
Wasn't really looking for advice. Yes, I understand that buying things cheap can be a crapshoot. If I find that something seems not right, I'll look at other options. But I created this thread to gain information, not catch flak from people because I'm thinking about buying something that doesn't have a reputable brand name stamped on it. I understand that sometimes you get what you pay for, but I'm hoping that I might find some bargain or something that maybe I can share with everyone else.

Information on a fly by night AR company and I use that term loosely. That should be your biggest clue...the lack of information or the fact that real end users have never heard of them. Second clue...its not about "name brand" its about being in spec. Although an AR with certain name brands hold higher resale. Do yourself a favor, quit posting and read the sticky threads regarding out of spec weapons. Then decide, why waste 400 when you can wait a little longer save a little more and invest in something that will retain value and work!

Quentin
07-03-12, 14:56

Your stubborness is setting yourself up for a fall. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Iraqgunz
07-03-12, 18:17
Buy the trash from them and let us know how it works for you.