PDA

View Full Version : a tale of two m&p15 sports

deolexrex
07-02-12, 13:41
My son and I each purchased S&W M&P15 Sports in February of 2012. We have a backyard range and decided to see how these two carbines would perform. I know we haven't rally pushed these to high round counts or anything but it is what it is.

Interestingly enough, my carbine has the white letter logo etched on the lower but my son's lower is plain (his has an earlier serial number)

As reflecting our personalities a bit... I do a basic field strip and cleaning after almost every outing (if I shoot more than a couple mags). My son has yet to clean his, only applying Breakfree whenever he happens to think about it.

I have fired just over 1,200 rounds, mostly 556 with a side of 223 (all brass, Winchester White Box, PMC and Federal). My son has fired almost 2,100 of 556 with a side of 223 (every imaginable ammo, usually the cheapest available including lots of steel cased). My son has also fired over a 500 of 22 (CCI Blazer) in a CMMG conversion.

To date I haven't had any malfunctions. My son has had two, one failure to eject (steel case) and one failure to chamber.

We have both been very happy with these carbines.

To be continued...

kenken
07-02-12, 13:45
Sounds like y'all got a great pair of Smiths.

kenken

JeffWard
07-02-12, 15:12
Sounds like your son needs to pull the BCG every other outing and hose it down with some CLP, whipe it off with a clean rag, re-hose it, and reinstall it... Done

LOL

JeffWard

fallenromeo
07-02-12, 15:51
Did you and your son intend to run them those ways to compare to each other? Or are those just your normal shooting habits?

deolexrex
07-02-12, 15:57
It's a little of each. Though we did decide to pay attention to what was happening so we could document the results.

Another of my sons just put together an all BCM mid-length... I wonder how we should run that one?

And yeah, we did go BCM after being on this site for a while.