PDA

View Full Version : A story about a father and his son

Evil Bert
07-02-12, 14:54
In remembrance of the 4th of July and all the men and women who have paid that ultimate sacrifice and those who have served to protect the American way of life that every other nation on Earth envies:

I love seeing things click in my son's head. You know, those "Ah-Ha" moments. It has taken the better part of 9 years to master the art of catching this elusive, microscopic moment in time. The instant when he realized where hamburgers, hotdogs, and his little sisters came from, have been among the most enjoyable.

School has taught him a lot about the roots of this country. So when a business trip took me to Washington, D.C. I decided to take my son with me and watch all the little dots connect in his head about what he had been learning in school.

We saw where the very first President lived and we saw where the President lives today. My son attempted to teach me what he learned in school about the men who framed our country. I had to correct him on a few things, but for the most part he go it. So I taught my son about the men and women who are still shaping our country today. After explaining to him why the legislature is split into to houses, he asked me why they argue so much. I had no answer for him.

We walked in the footsteps of countless men and women who stood up for their rights in 1963. We sat at the feet of the Great Emancipator, who to this day still sits vigilant over all of our rights. To which my sone noted that Lincoln was much bigger in person than in his text book.

I kept looking for those ah-ha moments. Waiting for it to click as we stood in front of the Three Soldiers Memorial. However, he surprised me. He for the most part had it pretty much all figured out. he was pretty tired from us walking all over D.C. and seeing just about every monument, memorial, tribute, etc.

But we had one more place to visit. We make our way to Arlington National Cemetery. As we walk up and my son finally sees the rows of headstones, he asks, "Dad, what are those?" I responded the only way I knew how. I said "Heroes, son. Those are Heroes." He stood there quiet for a moment trying to understand what I meant by heroes. He asked me what kind of heroes. I told him "these are the heroes that made possible everything you and I saw today... American Heroes son."

"Is that a hero?" I turned around and saw a young sailor in his dress blues kneeling down at a headstone about 20 yards away. I can honestly tell you I heard that "click" I looked at my boy and I said "yeah son, that's definitely a hero." Just then, the young sailor stood to attention and saluted his fallen friend. Before the young sailor lowered his arm, my son asked if we could go get dinner (pizza).

Unfortunately those moments never last as long as a father wishes they would. So over dinner, I explained to him that because of the sacrifice of those heroes, we have the freedom to go to church, own guns, say whatever we want about politics, the right to a fair trial, and all the other things we enjoy in America that few others in the world get to enjoy.

So in closing, I want to say thank you to all you men, women, and families of those who have sacrificed so much... you will never be forgotten.

I encourage everyone to fly the flag not just on the 4th like so many do, but every day.

http://youtu.be/uFW1-ahECwg

sandman99and9
07-02-12, 16:58
Awesome !! I hope to be able to take my sons to Arlington and the wall some day. I want to show them all the historic places around D.C.

The Smithsonian has been calling me for a few years now :)

S.M.

spr1
07-02-12, 17:33
That was awesome, uplifting and sobering.
I cherish those father / son moments.

Evil Bert
07-02-12, 17:56
Awesome !! I hope to be able to take my sons to Arlington and the wall some day. I want to show them all the historic places around D.C.

The Smithsonian has been calling me for a few years now :)

S.M.

in addition to the Smithsonian Air Museum, they have built a larger air and space museum at the Dulles Airport.

http://airandspace.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Jellybean
07-03-12, 00:47
I saw about the the new Air and Space a while back- looks great.
Back when I was around 10 we had a family trip to DC and went to all the museums, memorials, Wash. monument, and such. If the new A&S is better than the old one, than I've got to get there someday.
Do they still have half the Enola Gay in there?

As far as the original-
We didn't make it to Arlington that trip- in all fairness it rained about 90% of the day, so thankfully 90% of museums are indoors.:D
But we did make it to the Vietnam memorial. We had about half an hour towards the end of the day when it stopped raining, and happened to be nearby.
If you haven't been to that memorial and walked through the woods with those statues right after it's rained- preferably a day where the colors of everything get very vivid right after it rains- you missed something. I swear those staues came to life....

telecustom
07-03-12, 08:34
The Wall is a very special place. Thank you for taking your son. I was at the dedication of the Wall in 1982. It was a life changing experience (I was 5). That day was the beginning of a long journey, one that I am still on.

That day was one of those times with my Dad. I gained a new perspective of my Father and the sacrifices that have been made for our country. Since that day, I have had the honor and privilege to perform a the dedications of the Three Fighting Men Statue, Vietnam Women's Memorial, the Korean War Memorial and the tenth anniversary of the dedication of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (The Wall).

Arlington is a also very special. Where The Wall shows a mass of names, the rolling hills of Arlington imparts the weight of sacrifice in a completely different way. The names on The Wall seem to run together, were the Head Stones seam to go on forever.

SeriousStudent
07-03-12, 18:09
Bless you for teaching your child that this country was founded by patriots, and kept free by heroes.

I wonder how many children today can name more Medal of Honor receipients than they can Grammy award receipients? Probably not many.