PDA

View Full Version : Home Storage

x60183
07-02-12, 15:18
I'm going to order an AR15... first time gun owner. I was thinking of getting a Pelican case and double locking it with two padlocks.

Something like this:
Pelican Case (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Cases%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104368680/Pelican-Travel-Vault-Gun-Cases-150-Desert-Tan/1219627.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100211%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1219627&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1219627%3Bcat104368680)

A large gun safe is out of the question at the moment. Any other suggestions or would this be a good solution?

Hmac
07-02-12, 15:36
Stack On gun cabinet. Reasonably secure from kids and curious, but not resistant to a thief with a crowbar and not fireproof. OTOH, it fits well in a closet, simple for one person to move around, and at $109, that plus a nylon carry case is going to be cheaper than a Pelican case.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On%C2%AE-gun-Security-Cabinet/dp/B000W1QKUG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341261076&sr=8-5&keywords=stack+on+gun+cabinet

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41K3SyU689L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

zimm17
08-02-12, 14:32
If you don't have room/need for a safe- I would just get a high quality trigger lock for the rifle and keep it in a tactical type gun case. The pelican, while nice, is heavy and expensive and won't keep a thief from making off with it.

Cases on sale all this month at midwayusa for $19.99! Add a trigger or even action lock (cable that goes through ejection port/mag funnel and locks) and your all set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939239907/midwayusa-tactical-rifle-case-with-6-pockets

redone13
08-02-12, 16:36
Go for closed cell foam in picking your case if possible.

Frag Out Inc
08-12-12, 21:52
I agree with the stack on cases if you bolt them to a wall. I have talked to companies that sell gun safes and they seem to think no matter how big the safe is if people want to steal a gun they will... I have even heard of someone taking a chainsaw in someones house and cutting the safe out.. Only thing better than seeing someone doing that is seeing their face when they open it up and see it was empty with no guns in it lmao.. anyways like stated either a stack on safe or a good sturdy case will do the job. No need to get a really expensive pelican one that would just be one more stack of cash a robbery would love to take.

obucina
08-12-12, 22:10
I agree with the stack on cases if you bolt them to a wall. I have talked to companies that sell gun safes and they seem to think no matter how big the safe is if people want to steal a gun they will... I have even heard of someone taking a chainsaw in someones house and cutting the safe out.. Only thing better than seeing someone doing that is seeing their face when they open it up and see it was empty with no guns in it lmao.. anyways like stated either a stack on safe or a good sturdy case will do the job. No need to get a really expensive pelican one that would just be one more stack of cash a robbery would love to take.

some of the locking cabinets also have holes in the bottom. In addition to running bolts to wall studs, a pair of tapcons in a concrete foundation will help also. While it may not prevent theft, it at least buys some time.

opdsgt
08-12-12, 22:23
Rather than buying a cheap metal box that the average meth head can defeat with common hand tools sourced from your own garage, I'd rather see you secure a heavy fastening point to a closet stud with one way lag screws, then cable lock the weapon through the mag well and ejection port with something sturdy (e.g. Kryptonite product).

kmrtnsn
08-12-12, 23:33
Go for closed cell foam in picking your case if possible.

I've pulled all the foam from mine and use a nylon soft case inside. They provide divided storage for odds and ends and still hold two carbines.

For the OP. Buy a safe. It doesn't have to be the biggest or the baddest, just be sure to bolt it to the floor or a wall.

Travelingchild
08-13-12, 07:04
You can also remove the bolt carrier for extra piece of mind and store it somewhere else in the house..
Average thief won't have a clue on why the weapon won't function if he does make off with it.

Shabazz
08-30-12, 16:47
Bolt the stackon case to the floor and wall and you are good to go. Burglars can make off with that Pelican case. I have a pelican case and it is great, but that is for mobile security, not stationary security.

TxRaptor
08-30-12, 17:35
I'd like to add my own .02cents to the topic seeing as I was in a similar position to the OP about a week ago.

In the PRK (read: CA), there are many ridiculous gun laws. I have yet to verify within the Penal code but I had a respected Sherrif/firearms instructor explain to myself and others, during a break at an AR armorer course, that a pistol has to be transported in a locked case. Simply having a cable lock through the mag well and ejection port is not enough for PRK law. So I can not have said case with pistol in my trunk with a cable lock. I need an actual lock on a case and not just through the gun.

For me, I need secure storage at my place of dwelling as does the OP. I used to just run cable locks(since you have to buy a new one with every firearm purchase in the PRK) and store each firearm in it's own hard case. I used to also transport them in this manner until recently learning that I am in the "wrong" in doing so. I ended up buying some locks and also a lockable gun cabinet in the end.

Why did I mention all of this?
Knowing your own state laws may play a role in what you purchase. Be it locked hard cases, a safe, or a lockable gun cabinet, just make sure you are following whatever laws you need to be. In my case, I bought locks to use for transportation and keep all of my tools in a lockable cabinet as I have yet to afford an actual safe. I lucked out and bought a good buddies gun cabinet for a few old molle pouches and pocket change.

Krusty783
10-17-12, 08:19
The stack-on cabinets are good for keeping things out of the way, and out of reach of kids. But they are just sheet metal, and given their prevalence, anyone who breaches your perimeter will probably assume firearms are in there and go for it. In which case, it might be a good idea to store ammo there and hide/store the firearms somewhere else. If you get any cabinet/safe, you should anchor it to a wall and floor because that keeps a thief from dumping it over to get leverage, which can buy enough time to get them to bug out or get caught.

Check out craigslist & ebay also, you might be able to find some surplus lockable office supply cabinets for less than the stack-on. They are usually quite big, so you'll have room to expand (this is where my ammo & cleaning supplies/extra parts are stored).

If you want secure home/closet storage, you could always get something like this: http://www.blac-rac.com/ or this: http://www.att-tactical.com/att_weapon_racks.html and hide it in a closet or behind something. I'd suggest installing the rack with tamper proof bolts/anchors that you can get at Mcmaster-Carr /Fastenal, etc. Then secure the weapon to the rack with a S&G 8077 A&D padlock http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/PL-8077AD.php

The S&Gs are used to secure sensitive information and are quite bullet proof, literally. They also have non-standard opening procedures (not the r-l-r sequence of master locks) and you can change the combination. I would recommend these padlocks for any padlock use because they are very tough and should foil most things short of a plasma cutter or .50 cal.

Hmac
10-17-12, 10:00
I have no doubt that a burglar could pop open a Stack-On with a crow bar. IMHO however, getting an actual safe that would deter a burglar would require a safe that's pretty far up the scale in terms of weight and cost. I'd rather have a cheap simple cabinet that will keep the kids out and is easy to move into a hidden area like a closet or something. The difference in cost between that and a Stack-On cabinet I have spent on a good insurance rider for replacement cost on my homeowner's policy.

Texas42
10-17-12, 10:37
I wonder if the OP is trying to keep his new rifle safe from burglers or his kids?

Hmac
10-17-12, 11:47
I wonder if the OP is trying to keep his new rifle safe from burglers or his kids?

$100 will keep it from his kids. Keeping it safe from burglars will take about $2000-$3000 plus 2 men to get it in his house and 4 men if it's going to be upstairs.

skittles
10-19-12, 10:41
$100 will keep it from his kids. Keeping it safe from burglars will take about $2000-$3000 plus 2 men to get it in his house and 4 men if it's going to be upstairs.

This right here. Helped a friend move a couple of times. I always dreaded helping him with his gun safe. Took 3 of us.

I just recently picked up a Sentry 10 gun safe. I know if someone wants to get in, they will get in but it beats having my firearms not locked in something. I already have a spot picked out for it that's tucked away. If anyone breaks in my home they will have to move quick once the alarm goes off.

The stack-on should serve you well. I have a small stack-on that I used for a couple of handguns.

Abraxas
10-19-12, 11:39

Right here, well said. Whatever he gets needs to be fastened down though. Many safes can be penetrated by an axe if it is flipped onto its face and attacked at the back.