PDA

View Full Version : trading a hammer-fired for a striker...need advice

merican
07-02-12, 23:39
nice! the n00b is finally allowed to post. might as well make use...

so i have a sig p228 (non w german) and i want to trade it for a striker-fired system (my preferred and edc is an hk p2000). the sig has seen no more than 1000 rounds through it and is in excellent condition. my question is: what striker-fired pistol is comparable to the accuracy, quality, reliability, size and price of the earlier and now discontinued sig 228s?

hit me w some thoughts. thanks everyone.

Wiggity
07-02-12, 23:42
search button is quite useful for questions like these

YVK
07-03-12, 00:28
search button is quite useful for questions like these

Dude, this board has been around for some time and I don't think there is a question or topic that has not been discussed many times over. Hence, there is practically nothing here that can't be found by means of search button. However, if you feel that we should refer every newb here to a search function, as you have done now in several posts, perhaps you should contact the moderators with a request to close this board to new posts altogether.

To the OP: nothing really comes fully close if your 228 is a quality assembly unit, free of recent QC issues surrounding Sigs. Perhaps M&P compact or Walther PPQ. Glock 19 is about same size, but Sigs traditionally have been more accurate. M&Ps generally have triggers that are nothing to write about, while Sigs have long been considered a standard for DA/SA triggers. PPQ is well regarded, but I have very limited exposure.
A quality put together 228 is an excellent piece of hardware that had been in use with very serious people. I don't know what your motivation is to trade it, I assume DA/SA trigger is non-issue since you carry P2000. Anyway, your gun - your call.

jck397
07-03-12, 00:36
If it were me, I wouldn't give up a low-round count pre-2006 SIG, especially the out-of-production 228. The older SIG's are beautiful weapons, a pleasure to shoot, and decent carry guns as well--I have a pre-rail 229 that used to be my EDC, and while I've moved on to other platforms, remains one of my favorite pistols. If you're looking for something else, save your pennies for a bit, but keep the SIG. Of course, if you're really insistent on selling it, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a buyer...

Also, why are you specifically looking for a striker vs. hammer striker gun? Unless there's something specific (i.e. carrying AIWB and wanting a hammer to put your thumb over for added safety when holstering near your happy parts), look for the gun that you shoot the best and that meets your need. There's a lot of striker vs. hammer debate out there, and not to get into that discussion, but I think the more important thing is getting a gun that meets your needs that you can run well, then practicing with that platform. And if you prefer the P2000, why get something new and different vs. getting a second H&K to train with and as a backup for your primary?

merican
07-03-12, 01:28
a little bit of truth from everyone, that's cool. did a little bit of research and ended up at grayguns. they seem perfect, except for the price. at least i may have found an alternative solution.

@YVK - see thats the thing, to me, glock, m&p and walther seem average, especially when up against an older sig. as you mentioned, it is accurate and TBO, i like the trigger setup on the sig more so than my hk, but ergo and accuracy belongs to the p2000 (for me). also liked the "very serious people" line. iunno, perhaps i just need to do more research and reconsider.

@JCK - seeing as you have experience with the older sigs, mind my asking what platform you prefer over your beloved 229? my main reason for wanting a striker is that first shot. im keeping the p2000, no doubt, but im inconsistent at times with that first DA shot, though practice helps. i guess i want to pay a price to own a hammer and striker-fired system long term to see what really fits. tho now i know i had better CAREFULLY consider my options. and regarding an hk backup for my hk - genius. i have looked into the LEM P30s and she looks fine.

gtmtnbiker98
07-03-12, 07:37
If you are hell bent on getting rid of the P228 and venturing in to the SFA World, then I'd give heavy consideration to the PPQ. It has a "similar" manual of arms to the P2000 since it is entirely ambidextrous and the magazine release are both positioned adjacent to the trigger guard.

I own several HK's and a few Walthers and moving between the two is a non-issue due to the similar setup. Just an opinion from one who carries a P2000SK daily and also uses a PPQ.

MAUSER202
07-03-12, 07:59
I traded a 229 in .40 for my first PPQ. The Sig was a great shooter, just to heavy for every day carry for me. I also wanted to consolidate calibers to 9mm only ( may have kept it if it was in 9mm ).
In terms of quality I don't feel I lost anything from the Sig to the Walther. I have been thrilled with the accuracy and reliability of the PPQ.

I do however still have my p239 sas that I won t sell, great carry gun and good shooter too.

RC51_Texas
07-03-12, 10:53
I would hold on to your Sig P228 if you can.

I sold mine over 3 years ago and wish I had it back.

brickboy240
07-03-12, 11:16
Did they make P228s in the USA?

I did not know that. Every one I have seen has "Made in W. Germany" on the slide. Mine is a 1991 made P228 and it is a W. German pistol.

I don't know if you will find a striker fire pistol that is of the quality of the P228. If the Glock 19 was not having the QC/ejection issues....I'd say go for that one but these days, I'd skip the G19 until this issue has been totally laid to bed.

I know that I will never sell my P228. The thing has never given me a lick of trouble in over 10 years.

- brickboy240

Wiggity
07-03-12, 12:48
Dude, this board has been around for some time and I don't think there is a question or topic that has not been discussed many times over. Hence, there is practically nothing here that can't be found by means of search button. However, if you feel that we should refer every newb here to a search function, as you have done now in several posts, perhaps you should contact the moderators with a request to close this board to new posts altogether.

Now why would I do that when they can simply use the search button and the forum as a whole can be a lot less cluttered?

YVK
07-03-12, 16:23
It'll be cluttered anyway. Such is a nature of these forums.

I don't have a problem referring an obvious troll to the search button, or answering a basic question in that way. However, if the guy has a relatively specific question and this is his first post, I think it is a good form on the part of more seasoned members to welcome him to this place with a relatively specific answer.

jck397
07-03-12, 21:46
@JCK - seeing as you have experience with the older sigs, mind my asking what platform you prefer over your beloved 229? my main reason for wanting a striker is that first shot. im keeping the p2000, no doubt, but im inconsistent at times with that first DA shot, though practice helps. i guess i want to pay a price to own a hammer and striker-fired system long term to see what really fits. tho now i know i had better CAREFULLY consider my options. and regarding an hk backup for my hk - genius. i have looked into the LEM P30s and she looks fine.

It was a couple of things that drove the switch--I played with an M&P around that time and really liked the platform, I prefer polymer-framed weapons for carry, I wasn't as impressed with the quality of build of the newer SIG's, and wanted a platform that I could easily detail strip for cleaning and maintenance, so I switched to the M&P for a while, and now I'm back to a Glock. I've spent a lot of time and money playing with different platforms, only to come right back to where I started, when I could have invested all of that effort on building my skills as a shooter. If consistent trigger is important to you, the striker-fired Glock, M&P, and PPQ are all good options, but so are the H&K USP/USP Compact, P2000, and P30/HK45, either in LEM or cocked and locked with the USP family or P30/HK45. Another option might be to convert the 228 to DAK (if that's an option for the 228--I'm not sure personally). But if you prefer the P2000 for carry, then (possibly) a LEM conversion, an identical P2000, a quality class, and a pile of ammo are going to be your best investments. Don't worry so much about striker vs. hammer or brand X is better discussions--find a gun that's safe, reliable, has the features you want, and that you can shoot well, and focus on building skill sets.

Pi3
07-07-12, 10:54
Go shoot a lot of different guns, then zero in on what fits/suits you best. I've been shooting a sig 226 for years, added ctc grips 7 years ago. I intend to get an M&Pc when the qc dust settles. You can cut the right side safety off so a ctc grip will fit. I want a glock type trigger with a distinct reset. If you don't want a safety & the glock seems to fit you, then wait a little while longer for it's qc issues to subside. I don't like the ctc grip for the glock. RMR sights are on the horizon. Some guns (perhaps the hk p30) will not work well with RMRs. I would also settle on a group of pistols with the same mag release.

Microalign
07-07-12, 11:07
I'm very much of the belief that a single trigger condition like that of a striker fired pistol or a 1911 makes for easier shooting right out of the holster. I've been using DA/SA for the last 15yrs for duty, and any time I test a new SF pistol I find that it is much easier to master and I retain my skill with it longer in between breaks. DA/SA guns?.....I have to keep up on my dry firing and range practice about twice as much to retain that skill.

Based on your description, it sounds like you want a Walther PPQ. I advise to sell the P228 and get one. I used the M11 for 8 years, and although it makes for a nice collector's piece, I feel that there are better every day hard use choices.

balance
07-07-12, 11:18
If you want a striker fired pistol that mimics a DA/SA hammer fired pistol, I'd suggest that you also check out a Walther P99 AS if you can find one locally.

I don't know what the earlier P228 pistols went for as far as price, but the accuracy, quality, reliability, and size should be similar between the P99 and the P228.

Blayglock
07-07-12, 11:19
Get a Glock 19 and be done with it.

munch520
07-07-12, 11:32
Get a Glock 19 and be done with it.

Agreed! I've gone to other handguns over the past couple years. And always come back to the 19. If I could have only 1 handgun, that'd be it.

Odglock
07-07-12, 12:10
I'd keep the 228 and get a GLOCK or hk p30 Lem when funds allow.

JSantoro
07-07-12, 12:41
However, if the guy has a relatively specific question and this is his first post,

Except for the fact that:

1) when read in its entirety, the question still boils down to a "which gun...?" model that's been addressed ad nauseam.

2) use of the Search features AND reading the stickied threads for the purposes of at least narrowing a question is heavily encouraged, to the point of custom stronger than written law proportions.

3) Senior Membership is an indicator of little more than a member that's been around long enough to know both, and to take petty little slap-fights (like publicly dinging another member for pointing out an approved common practice of the forum to a newer member....) to PMs.

However, let's cut this baby in half and give a piece to each of you....

It's one thing to simply type out "Use Search!" but it's an whole world more helpful when one says that, and posts a link to a conducted Search AND explains how one conducted said Search. "Teach a man to fish...," and all that....

To wit:

"DA vs. SA" put to the orange Search button: https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=da+vs.+sa&sa=Search&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D1339823&ss=1989j563199j9

Why's this potentially beneficial? Because any such thing inevitably ends up speaking to a Pistol Pattern 1, 2, or 4 vs Pistol Pattern 5, 7, or 8. As shown.

BREAK BREAK

Grey Search button, keyword "striker," limited to thread-titles only and limited to a Search of the Handguns - Semi-Auto subforum: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=4527910

Even better.

So.....

Primus: The forum "leadership" (for lack of a better way of putting it) encourages the use of the Search features. Don't be the guy that puts yourself against that. Better that you just suck it up (it's the internet, shouldn't be too hard...), or toddle off to another forum where spoon-feeding and management-by-chaos-theory are encouraged.

Secundus: Don't just spit out "Use Search!" like a bunch of Occupy hippies chanting. SHOW how to USE Search to find what they're after. Adults learn better the things that they find for themselves than the things they are spoon-fed, which is why it's encouraged the way it is.....THEN for the more practical aspects of bandwidth and the like. HELP newer members, instead of scolding them without providing guidance.

To the OP: follow the bread crumbs cited immediately above; it should at least help narrow your field somewhat. If you end up with a more specific, unaddressed question or a request for clarification, by all means post it in an existing thread, regardless of how recent (or not) the activity in it has been.

Necro-posting is reviving an old thread with a post that doesn't positively contribute. Asking a new question or adding new info isn't a necro-post.