PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

KrampusArms
07-03-12, 17:57
I bought a 420 round ammo can of American Eagle XM855f today.

Opened a box to check it out. This stuff is pretty dinged up. Some sort of sealant around the necks of some. Black goo. Dings on shoulder, dents scrapes etc.

Is this stuff safe to shoot? Anybody else bought this stuff?

IYAAYASwarrior
07-03-12, 18:00
I got some Olin ammo a few months back and it was a little dinged up but there was no "goo" on them. If you can maybe post up some pics I am sure someone has some insight.

KrampusArms
07-03-12, 18:09
I got some Olin ammo a few months back and it was a little dinged up but there was no "goo" on them. If you can maybe post up some pics I am sure someone has some insight.

I am not savvy with picture posting, but I'll give it a try tonight.

Out of 20 rounds, about 9 have some pretty good dings on the shoulder. The goo I speak of is black, & seems to be like a sealant. Every other cartridge has a little splotch.

Now, I've never purchased 5.56 before, so I'm not sure if this is the norm. But this stuff looks haggard.

ETA: Lake City brass with a 12 stamp.

ETA: After much experimenting, & frustration I am unable to upload a photo. Due to my current devices not being compatible or my lack of skill, or a combination of both.

This ammo is borderline horrendous IMO. Has anybody had experience with anything like this?

TomMcC
07-04-12, 02:22
Federal X series ammo usually looks a bit rough. It will probably shoot just fine.

redhands
07-04-12, 11:58
It is a sealant applied the factory. It sounds like yours was applied a little carelessly. I have shot a few hundred rounds like what you describe with no obvious problem.
Dinged brass is a little more subjective. Your best reference is actually to buy a reloading handbook like Lymans and reference the case prep section before shooting any (i know they are factory loads). Ultimately, there is no lifeguard on duty and you make the decision when you or someone you know pulls the trigger.

Safetyhit
07-04-12, 12:21
You must be aware that bulk XM855f is essentially reject ammo and often times can look less than spectacular, just as bulk XM193 can. But these lots can be rejected for any number of seemingly trivial reasons and for the most part are normally fine to shoot. Personally, if I go with any XM variant I buy boxed, as the quality is usually better that way.

Still you'll probably be fine, just remove any that have deep creases or dents. If you feel a round has too much "goo" on it, either try to remove it or just discard altogether.

Wiggity
07-04-12, 12:41
You must be aware that bulk XM855f is essentially reject ammo and often times can look less than spectacular, just as bulk XM193 can. But these lots can be rejected for any number of seemingly trivial reasons and for the most part are normally fine to shoot. Personally, if I go with any XM variant I buy boxed, as the quality is usually better that way.

Still you'll probably be fine, just remove any that have deep creases or dents. If you feel a round has too much "goo" on it, either try to remove it or just discard altogether.

Where did you hear this?

TomMcC
07-04-12, 12:55
If it is rejected ammo (I have no personal info on this, so I won't comment) we still can say it's safe ammo. The rejection for military use would be not for safety, but for a trivial reason as stated.

Safetyhit
07-04-12, 13:06
Where did you hear this?

Do a little reading up on the difference between M193 and XM193. I have to run out so I can't get into detail right now, try the search feature. If you can't find anything I'll post links when I get back. Same deal for M855 and XM855.

KrampusArms
07-06-12, 18:35
Guys
I fired 100 rounds of this stuff today. Brand new BCM standard 16 in mid length. The rifle ran (flawlessy, I hate that saying) without any malfunctions. It was very accurate at 50 yards.

Despite its crummy appearance I'm pleased. Not trusting it yet for social work/HD (god forbid), but I'm happy so far.

Rifle was VERY dirty for only 100 rounds fired in my experience. A bit dirtier than PMC bronze, but just as if not more accurate.

Just my opinions.