PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Mag Pouches

SOWT
07-03-12, 23:15
I wanted to buy my son a triple mag pouch and pretty much settled on one from Tactical Tailor. I was wondering if anyone here has a mag pouch with the front magnet, and if so what was your opinion of it?

He mobbed Friday, so I want something he can use while deployed (9MM), and then with a double stack .45 when he gets back.

Failure2Stop
07-03-12, 23:22
I wanted to buy my son a triple mag pouch and pretty much settled on one from Tactical Tailor. I was wondering if anyone here has a mag pouch with the front magnet, and if so what was your opinion of it?

He mobbed Friday, so I want something he can use while deployed (9MM), and then with a double stack .45 when he gets back.

Magnets don't get along with a lot of things in a military context.
I have used and highly recommend the Eagle FB pistol pouches.
They use a simple and effective kydex insert.
There are a few similar options out there (such as First Spear), but I have not personally used them.

El Cid
07-04-12, 06:25
I used TAG's magnet pouches and they took some getting used to for me. Every now and then the mag (G22) would hang up on the cut out for the mag catch when inserting. They always came out smoothly though.

I ditched them for Eagle belt pouches when I switched to the G21. Despite the manufacturer's claim, the double stack 45 mags were too wide.

Endur
07-04-12, 06:34
TAG makes a nice enhanced pistol mag pouch for single and double stack mags. Only small issue are the magnets in them, but depending on which method you use a compass shouldn't be much of an issue. Hell even your rifle can interfere with one. Esstac just came out with a new pistol mag pouch with kydex inserts to wedge them in just like their rifle mags. They look real nice, I plan on picking some up for my range/course/shtf chest rig. I think they are only making them for double stacks right now though. Check skdtac.com

ST911
07-04-12, 10:27
My triples are Eagle FBs. I cut the cover flaps off. They work well and retain the mags.

CBTech
07-04-12, 15:45
I have the TT pouch like you are asking about. Like them alot and no issues to report like the other company's mag pouch. Easy in and easy out. Never had to use a lensatic compass outside of a training environment so I'm not worried about it down range and even so I have land nav'ed with them right on my RBAV, no problems.
To use a compass with absolutely no interference you would need to move your rifle, magazines, multi-tool, and just about anything else metal and possibly electronic away from your chest to say, without a doubt, there is nothing interfering with your lensatic compass.
The magnets come in most handy when using a multi-tool. Sometimes I don't want to set them down because they have a tendency to get away from me. The next best thing would be to lanyard the damn Leatherman to my gear. Magnets are a brilliant idea.
If your son's job is to run a lensatic compass all day then I would say pass and recommend him to go slick. Otherwise get the TT pouches, they're great.

Failure2Stop
07-04-12, 16:08
There are a lot more issues than just compasses, but that's neither here nor there for those that don't have those considerations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Endur
07-04-12, 16:15
There are a lot more issues than just compasses, but that's neither here nor there for those that don't have those considerations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm curious..?

CBTech
07-05-12, 13:05
I'm curious..?

EOD Techs and Engineers may want to watch out but I don't play with what they do.