PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P15 Tactical Hand guard

sigmeister229
01-20-08, 21:23
Help I need some advise. I purchased a S&W M&P15 not knowing the first thing about AR’s. my gun dealer said it was on of his best and it has a lifetime warranty, well he lied about the warranty it’s only a one year warranty, It’s plain but it was all I could afford. I would love to replace the 7” Hand guards with a longer type that exceeds past the Front sight and still keep the iron sight attached .but I don’t know what complications I could be getting into with the gas tube, so maybe I should keep it simple and just get a 2 piece tactical hand guards that fits in place of the plastic guard and still the original holders. I was looking at one made by Midwest Industries MI#17 Carbine 2 Piece or YHM 2 Piece Tactical Hand guard. Or should I wait until I can afford something a little nicer?

Robb Jensen
01-20-08, 21:40
For what you're wanting I'd recommend an extended Troy rail like this one (http://www.troyind.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=47).

sigmeister229
01-20-08, 21:44
So it sounds like the Troy 12" MRF-CX Extended Model would fit perfect on my M&P15 should I have a gun smith put it on?
Where should I go for the best prices?

brminpin
01-20-08, 21:49
Help I need some advise. I purchased a S&W M&P15 not knowing the first thing about AR’s. my gun dealer said it was on of his best and it has a lifetime warranty, well he lied about the warranty it’s only a one year warranty, It’s plain but it was all I could afford. I would love to replace the 7” Hand guards with a longer type that exceeds past the Front sight and still keep the iron sight attached .but I don’t know what complications I could be getting into with the gas tube, so maybe I should keep it simple and just get a 2 piece tactical hand guards that fits in place of the plastic guard and still the original holders. I was looking at one made by Midwest Industries MI#17 Carbine 2 Piece or YHM 2 Piece Tactical Hand guard. Or should I wait until I can afford something a little nicer?

I was under the impression that ALL S&W guns came with lifetime service warranty. No?

sigmeister229
01-20-08, 22:02
I was under the impression that ALL S&W guns came with lifetime service warranty. No?

I asked S&W when I called on another question ,they said pistols have a lifetime warranty but rifles are one year, that stinks. That was one of the main reasons I went with S&W. sells people will say anything for a sell

Bud White
01-20-08, 23:14
Unfortunately true. one year as the Part i cut and pasted from the online M&P Manual says

Smith &Wesson firearms are warrantied to be free from defects
in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which
Smith & Wesson receives written notice within one year from the
date of purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by
Smith&Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after
such notification and delivery of the firearm as provided below.

stormblue
01-20-08, 23:51
The Troy is easy to put on. I just put my S&W M&P T back together today. The Troy clamps around the barrel nut with four bolts. The only tool you need to put one on is a allen wrench. Now getting the hardware off that holds the plastic handguard is a little more difficult.

Bud White
01-21-08, 07:28
Thats A Cool Design i might go with something like that as i don't want to have to remove the barrel nor gas tube to fit

brminpin
01-21-08, 07:45
I asked S&W when I called on another question ,they said pistols have a lifetime warranty but rifles are one year, that stinks. That was one of the main reasons I went with S&W. sells people will say anything for a sell

This kind of makes me want to take my M&P 15 back to the store. The whole lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I was willing to pay a bit more for. The Sigma for $99 wasn't too bad of a deal either, but still, I'm kind of annoyed that my gun store would misinform me like that. :(

ST911
01-21-08, 09:56
This kind of makes me want to take my M&P 15 back to the store. The whole lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I was willing to pay a bit more for. The Sigma for $99 wasn't too bad of a deal either, but still, I'm kind of annoyed that my gun store would misinform me like that. :(

Don't sweat the warranty.

Plan for obfuscation and deceit to be found when people have a financial stake in what you seek. Do your research ahead of time, so that you can differentiate them from those worth giving your money to.

brminpin
01-21-08, 11:20
Yeah, talked to one of my friend and I'm leaning towards keeping the rifle. I'll be at the store later today so, I'll ask them what's the deal with the wrong info. Since I know all the guys at the store and they're pretty stand-up people, I don't necessarily think they were being unscrupulous (hopefully, since if they were, I'll never spend one red cent there again after I return the rifle).

czydj
01-21-08, 11:55
IMHO, if you are going to be spending money on a rail and want to keep the front sight, you may want to go with the 12" Daniel Defense - as seen here:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=29

This will allow you to keep the front sight and use the real estate in front of that post for lights, lasers or whatever! I almost pulled the trigger on a handgaurd replacement but IMHO, that space in front of the FSB is valuable...

I believe Grant from G&R on the board here can get you one!

Robb Jensen
01-21-08, 11:56
Yeah, talked to one of my friend and I'm leaning towards keeping the rifle. I'll be at the store later today so, I'll ask them what's the deal with the wrong info. Since I know all the guys at the store and they're pretty stand-up people, I don't necessarily think they were being unscrupulous (hopefully, since if they were, I'll never spend one red cent there again after I return the rifle).

Be sure that the salesman didn't mean the shops policy is essentially a lifetime service plan. Our shop is like that, we'll fix totally free of charge anything that goes wrong with a firearm (new or used) that was purchased at our shop.

czydj
01-21-08, 12:01
It looks GotM4 has you covered on the rail, but I have another thought for you. You're going to spend 300-400 for the rail and more if you have to pay someone to install it for you. Did you look at the M&P15T? It comes with a nice free floating rail system and a forward, folding sight. If you're going back, ask them for more info on the 15T. It might be more like what you're looking for...

Buckaroo
01-21-08, 12:01
If indeed the the DD is $85 more and both free float then am I missing something that makes the DD better?

Maybe I missed something in the DD Omega threads....

Easier to install is great but $85 is a bunch of ammo even at today's prices.

Thanks

Buckaroo

Shihan
01-21-08, 13:16
Help I need some advise. I purchased a S&W M&P15 not knowing the first thing about AR’s. my gun dealer said it was on of his best and it has a lifetime warranty, well he lied about the warranty it’s only a one year warranty,

While he was incorrect, im sure he was uninformed on S&W's stance on the weapons warranty and didnt lie to you.

Bud White
01-21-08, 13:37
Be sure that the salesman didn't mean the shops policy is essentially a lifetime service plan. Our shop is like that, we'll fix totally free of charge anything that goes wrong with a firearm (new or used) that was purchased at our shop.

One of the local shops does that also thats why i buy all my guns from there

Jeffy
01-21-08, 13:42
If indeed the the DD is $85 more and both free float then am I missing something that makes the DD better?

Maybe I missed something in the DD Omega threads....

Easier to install is great but $85 is a bunch of ammo even at today's prices.

Thanks

Buckaroo

Keep in mind the current Omega is a 7"handguard, unlike the two others shown above, which are 12". I really like the Omega though.

Oh, there's also a 9.5" DD rail that extends to the front sight base but not past it like the 12".

http://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/55229e812e6d144eeb6bb2fd22186601.jpghttp://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/5a6ab4099e6e352789ca01bc69cdeb8b.jpg

sigmeister229
01-21-08, 16:19

Denney’s Guns said it was lifetime warranty, but S&W said it only one year. I don’t expect to have any problems but that was one of the biggest selling points of any of the guns that I buy is the warranty. My S&W M&P pistol has a lifetime warranty that’s why I bought it.

sigmeister229
01-21-08, 16:28
It looks GotM4 has you covered on the rail, but I have another thought for you. You're going to spend 300-400 for the rail and more if you have to pay someone to install it for you. Did you look at the M&P15T? It comes with a nice free floating rail system and a forward, folding sight. If you're going back, ask them for more info on the 15T. It might be more like what you're looking for...

I thought about that but they had no plans on getting any in any time soon. I should of did my research first, the reason I purchased the S&W M&P 15 in the first place I was picking up a new Glock 21SF and while I was waiting I had to look at the AR-15’s. I didn’t know the first thing about them but I have always dreamed of owning one so the salesman suggested the M&P. I believe I did ok.

brminpin
01-21-08, 19:27

Well, talked to one of the smiths at the store and it looks light just some misinformation on the sales guy's part. He did assure me that S&W stands behind all their products and that if I have any problems, S&W will fix at no cost even after the warranty expires. We'll have to see, but I've decided to keep my 15T since I just like the features that it came with and the $99 Sigma (really not as bad of a gun as many say).

sigmeister229
01-22-08, 17:01
My Local gun dealer doesn’t have the Troy 12" MRF-CX Extended Model in stock but he does have the Troy Tactical Free Float - Mid Length -9 Inch in for $225.00 he also highly recommended the Daniel Defense Omega 7 carbine he said it requires no modifications and I keep all existing rings on sounds to simple its $239.00 which one to choose

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/DD20Omega207-5.png

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/Troy9.jpg

Jeffy
01-22-08, 18:10
My Local gun dealer doesn’t have the Troy 12" MRF-CX Extended Model in stock but he does have the Troy Tactical Free Float - Mid Length -9 Inch in for $225.00 he also highly recommended the Daniel Defense Omega 7 carbine he said it requires no modifications and I keep all existing rings on sounds to simple its $239.00 which one to chose

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/DD20Omega207-5.png

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/Troy9.jpg

The Troy MRF-M is designed for use on a mid-length gas system and will require you to use a low-profile gas block instead of the front sight base on a carbine gas system. The proper Troy rails for a carbine would be the MRF-DI 7", MRF-C 7" and MRF-CX 12".

I really like the Omega.