PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Help

Medic218
07-04-12, 05:42
I'm in the process of putting together my first AR but I don't have all the needed tools to do so.
What I would like is for someone to take me under their wing so to speak and help me put it together and kind of walk me though it.
I'll have as much done as I can before I come over so it really shouldn't take all that long.
I don't mind driving a little ways to come meet you at all.
I'm still waiting on my lower and the handguard....other than that I'm good to go.
If you have some land I'd be happy to let you be the one who gets the first trigger pull on her.
I'll also bring you some awesome steaks or whatever you want for your trouble.
I'm in the Little Elm/Frisco, Tx area.
Experience in AR builds preferred obviously.

polymorpheous
07-04-12, 05:47
This thread belongs in the regional subforum.
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=149

You may have better luck there.
Ask a mod to move it for you.
Good luck.

El Cid
07-04-12, 05:48
In my opinion it's worth buying the tools. Even if you don't get the bug to build more, you have the ability to conduct maintenance on the rifle as needed.

Not the same as a person over the shoulder, but I found the how-to videos at Browells to be extremely helpful.

Mr Elbowseed
07-04-12, 06:19
There is also good videos on YouTube. You may have to sift through a little junk to find them but they are there

Medic218
07-04-12, 07:23
I plan on getting the tools eventually but for now I'd like someone I could ask questions to as we go.

Bauer C
07-04-12, 14:50
I just got a vice from home depot and attached it to a folding saw horse. Its cheap, easy to put up and out of the way and its sturdy enough to use for building a rifle. Along with that you will need some upper/lower vice blocks,wrenches and punches and you should be good to go.
You wont stop building after just one.

hikeeba
07-05-12, 10:30
I once viewed building a complete AR as an insurmountable task beyond my abilities and comprehension. After hamming and hawing about the idea for some time, I finally made up my mind to accept the challenge and push myself to figure it out. I spent a few months looking up resources and researching techniques and tools. There are a number of decent tutorials to be found online in printed and video form. I recommend checking out as many as you can, and then reading/viewing the ones you felt were most helpful again a few times. I also purchased The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (Vol 2) as another perspective and to keep on hand as a qick reference tool. THe book is a little dated now, but it still has lots of good basic info and plenty of decent pictures.

Once I familiarized myself with assembly techiques, I looked into tools. Some necessary tools I already had. For others, I shopped around and picked them up one sale here and there. Next, I built a small workbench using leftover lumber and fitted a 4" vise to it. I was now ready to research and decide which parts I wanted.

Before doing the assembly, I reviewed a few of the online resources I had bookmarked. Everything went together without a hitch, and the rifle functions well and shoots great.

I thought about looking for a build buddy at the beginning, but thought I'd get more out of doing it all myself. It took longer to figure everything out on my own, but I'm glad I took the time to do so. I've since built a second complete rifle, and now I'm in the process of reconfiguring and upgrading my 'starter' rifles.

My elevator goes all the way to the top, but it doesn't access all the floors. If I can figure out how to assemble a complete rifle correctly, you can, too. Firearms are serious business, to take your time and do it right. The satisfaction of doing it yourself can't be measured, and you'll gain greater understanding of the platform. If you do get stuck or have questions, I'm sure folks in the Builds forum would be happy to help. I am no expert, but yu are welcome to PM me if you feel I may be able to help you. Best of luck to you however you decide to pursue you project.

cthompson36
07-07-12, 12:05
I think you should be able to do it yourself too. watch videos, maybe get a book, and you'll be good to go. Im in highschool and I just finished mine friday. What all are you trying to build? assemble a lower or the whole gun?

Medic218
07-07-12, 20:30
I think you should be able to do it yourself too. watch videos, maybe get a book, and you'll be good to go. Im in highschool and I just finished mine friday. What all are you trying to build? assemble a lower or the whole gun?

Once I get a couple more parts in, the whole gun.

cthompson36
07-07-12, 21:01
oh, well I can't say anything about the upper, I just put in the BGC and charging handle on that. The lowers not too hard if you watch videos and have basic mechanical skills