PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 CDL SF -or- Win Model 70 Featherweight

64physhy
07-04-12, 14:32
I currently have a Winchester 70 Featherweight in .300 on layaway. I just noticed that the place I have it on layaway at also has a Remington 700 CDL SF (stainless, also .300) for the same price. Store policy is that you can change your mind before the layaway is paid as long as you change your mind for an equal or higher priced item, so switching wouldn't be a problem.

Both are used, the Win is like brand new. Looks like it's had MAYBE 50 rounds through it. I have not seen the Rem yet, but it's supposedly in very good condition, as well. When I get back over there, I'm going to see if they'll let me shoot both at their indoor range to help decide.

Assuming the Rem is in as good of condition as the Win (or close to it), which would you recommend?

JStor
07-04-12, 21:31
I would choose the Winchester Model 70 over a Remington any day, but that's just me. A Featherweight .300 Mag...no thanks. Make mine a .308 Winchester or other standard bolt face cartridge.

The older you get, the more you will appreciate the lack of recoil in certain cartridge/rifle combinations. They are easier on the shoulder and easier on the checkbook when buying ammo...just my 2 cents.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-05-12, 08:15
I would choose the Winchester Model 70 over a Remington any day, but that's just me. A Featherweight .300 Mag...no thanks. Make mine a .308 Winchester or other standard bolt face cartridge.

The older you get, the more you will appreciate the lack of recoil in certain cartridge/rifle combinations. They are easier on the shoulder and easier on the checkbook when buying ammo...just my 2 cents.

This 100% with one thing to consider. For me if its not a CRF action then I would go with the Rem. 300mag in a feather weight OUCH no thanks!

64physhy
07-05-12, 15:56
Is the recoil in a .300 mag really that much worse than a .308? I'm new to bolt action rifles. Most of what I've shot has been military weapons, and most of them have some kind of buffer.

.300 muzzle velocity is about 300 fps more than a .308, but about 750 more ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, so I guess that would give it more kick.

I am at an age where I don't want a lot of recoil. I guess the best thing to do would be to fire one and see.

It's got to be better than my Win 1874 .32 Win Spl...That thing hurts.

High Tower
07-05-12, 18:13
Yes, the .300 will have more felt recoil - some might say much more. Unless you use the managed recoil loads. But they pretty much take away any advantage of the .300.

My vote is for the Remington 700, but that is just personal taste.

okie john
07-06-12, 10:19
Is the recoil in a .300 mag really that much worse than a .308? I'm new to bolt action rifles. Most of what I've shot has been military weapons, and most of them have some kind of buffer.

.300 muzzle velocity is about 300 fps more than a .308, but about 750 more ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, so I guess that would give it more kick.

I am at an age where I don't want a lot of recoil. I guess the best thing to do would be to fire one and see.

It's got to be better than my Win 1874 .32 Win Spl...That thing hurts.

If your 32 Special kicks too hard for your liking, then you're going to hate a lightweight .300 Magnum.

Several things influence felt recoil, including bullet weight, charge weight, bullet velocity, rifle weight, and stock design.

Your .32 Special isn't very powerful, but it kicks hard because it's light and the stock has a lot of drop at the heel, which is a poor design for handling recoil. Either of the rifles you mentioned will have a better stock design, but the .300 Magnum is so powerful that it's going to kick pretty hard in a light rifle.

I'm also averse to recoil, and I find that a seven-pound .308 is about all I want to deal with these days. Unless you routinely take long shots in windy country, I'd skip the 300.

Okie John

64physhy
07-06-12, 11:47
Thanks for the replies. I'm going see if they'll let me fire the one I have on layaway. If it's more recoil than I want to deal with, I'll swap for something in a .308.

What about 7mm?

High Tower
07-06-12, 12:05
What about 7mm?

Most 7mm's are high in felt recoil. The 7mm-08 is a sweet round for deer hunting with milder recoil. You could check out the .260 Rem as well.

Watrdawg
07-06-12, 13:57
A featherweight .300 Win Mag is not much fun to shoot. I've never like recoil and my .300 Win Mag has a muzzle brake on it for that reason. With the brake recoil is along the lines of a .243. If you are looking in to 7mm's definitely look at the 7mm 08. High Tower is right about it being a sweet shooting round. I have one in an older Remington Mtn. rifle and love it. I do shoot my Win Mage as much as the 7mm08 though. That is becasue of the muzzle brake being on it.

AR15barrels
07-06-12, 17:11
Is the recoil in a .300 mag really that much worse than a .308?

Yes, they recoil a lot more.

It's not ONLY the bullet weight that creates recoil.
It's ALSO the powder weight.
So, going from 45gr of powder in a 308 to say 70gr in a 300 mag, that is a big increase...

JStor
07-06-12, 20:22
Another point to consider is that the .300 will reduce mag capacity to 3 rounds instead of 5 for a standard bolt face cartridge...if that matters. The .300 will cost a lot more to shoot and will wear the barrel a lot faster than one of the standard (take your pick) cartridges such as .308, 7-08, .30-06, .270 etc.

The .300 is a great cartridge for long range shooting, but the rifles usually have heavy barrels and stocks, along with high magnification optics.

The .308 shines because of the availability of excellent and accurate factory loads and rifles. Other notable characteristics include its accuracy, its long barrel life and the fact that it has enough power to use for any game in the lower 48. It comes close to the mythical "do it all" type of cartridge.

As for which rifle...a Remy or a Winchester, I favor the Model 70 for its design characteristics...flat bottom, integral recoil lug, field strippable bolt, etc.

64physhy
07-06-12, 23:14
Man, that guy at the store talked about how much he loved .300 and recommended it over everything and showed me the Elk he said he shot at 700 yards with it. Then again, he's probably half my age so I guess I should have asked someone closer to my age.
I'm going to shoot the .300 and see if they have a .308 and 7mm-08 I can try out while I'm at it to see which one I like. I won't be putting a lot of rounds down range with whichever one I end up getting, so barrel life isn't really high on my priorities.
Seeing that the .300 has more recoil than my .32 Spl has me a little concerned...I just put a pachmayr recoil pad on that one, so I'll see how much difference that makes on that one...I love the big bang, just not the bruised shoulder from the metal buttplate.

M4Fundi
07-07-12, 02:27
Is this for target shooting or hunting or?

If you are using it for hunting elk in the mountains then a LTWT 300 or better 300WSM is the BeesKnees, but if you are target or competition shooting then get a 260 or 308 or something.

The 300WM was my go to rifle for work and I carried it almost daily and loved it, but it was the right tool for the job.

RyanB
07-07-12, 02:56
The Winchester is far and away the better rifle.

But .300 is going to be a hard kicker for most shooters.

ErikS
07-09-12, 20:24
The Winny has a better safety. The Remmy has a better barrel.

Now that W70s are FN made the wood is kinda plain.

I would hit the Remmy in that caliber. I have both models in my safe. The Remmys have better accuracy odds than the Winnys.

Both triggers can be great. Old Winnys were EASY to adjust.

RyanB
07-20-12, 02:06
Erik I have seen some great wood on the higher end FN guns. I doubt the Remington will consistently be more accurate, I have yet to hear of a Winchester from FN that won't put three rounds of something it likes under an inch. It's hard to beat that.

ErikS
07-20-12, 06:05
I have really only put my hands on pre production and early production weapons of the M70. My rifle is a New Haven gun. My Remmy is a 2010.

I take my R25 to the stand more often because I just like it. My other go to is my M70 because I am a huge fan of the 270WSM.

64physhy
08-02-12, 21:16
I picked up the Win 70 .300 WSM today. I put 9 rounds through it. It has a good kick, but not as bad as I thought it would, in fact, my 1894 .32 Spl hurt more. I put a pachmayr pad on the 1894, and it made a huge difference. I just ordered one for the 70 today. The biggest downer I see to it so far is the cost of the ammo.

Now I just need to get it zeroed. It was shooting a little low and left, but I didn't have the time to get it dialed in. I wasn't using a stand, so that may have been part of the problem.