PDA

View Full Version : Range Toy?

loupav
07-04-12, 16:51
I can't help it ask, but do any of you guys have a range toy pistol that is just for fun? I shoot my HK45 in classes and for serious practice, but every now and then my Walther P22 comes out for 100 rounds of 22 and I call it a day.

I know my P22 is a POS, but I like shooting it! Anyone else here have a "Range toy?"

orbie
07-04-12, 16:56
Beretta Neos is a fun plinker.

KCBRUIN
07-04-12, 17:02
My SA 1911 TRP, and my GSG 1911-22 are my range toys. :D

F-Trooper05
07-04-12, 21:26
No range toys for me. If I wanted one I'd pick up a 1911, but the cost of .45ACP makes my dick soft.

Guns-up.50
07-04-12, 21:41
1911 to bad I cant afford to shoot it...:mad:

Kokopelli
07-04-12, 21:42
Yep.. 9mm SA 1911 P19134LP IIRC.. Same configuration that I carry and cheaper to keep in practice.. Ron

7.62WildBill
07-04-12, 21:56
I have a pair of Ruger Mk II pistols; 6" bull barrel and 8" slab-sided barrel. I have had the 6" almost 20 years, and have shot it more than anything else in my safe. While they are not "defensive" weapons, I still would not call them toys. But they are fun.:smile:

mkmckinley
07-04-12, 21:58
I consider the guns that I own but don't train with for serious purposes basically range toys. My 1911, SIG P228, Garand, Swede Mauser, and 1903A3 will probably never be used defensively, in training, or even to hunt as long as I own them but I like to take them out once in awhile. It's also fun to let new shooters demo them.

rrrI used to own a lot of different kinds of guns just to have them. It was fun and they were all cool in different ways. After awhile I realized that I'd be better off selling most of those and buying training, ammo, and backups of the guns I actually use. The ones I keep as range toys are either too cool to get rid of or have some sentimental value.

glocktogo
07-04-12, 23:56
I consider the guns that I own but don't train with for serious purposes basically range toys. My 1911, SIG P228, Garand, Swede Mauser, and 1903A3 will probably never be used defensively, in training, or even to hunt as long as I own them but I like to take them out once in awhile. It's also fun to let new shooters demo them.

rrrI used to own a lot of different kinds of guns just to have them. It was fun and they were all cool in different ways. After awhile I realized that I'd be better off selling most of those and buying training, ammo, and backups of the guns I actually use. The ones I keep as range toys are either too cool to get rid of or have some sentimental value.

This. I also consider some of them "hard currency" in the event things ever get really bad. Since I don't currently hunt, this one qualifies:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0471.jpg

I need it like I need a hole in my head, but it sure is fun! Same for this one:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/DSC_0033.jpg

Probably the funnest one I own.

Quentin
07-05-12, 00:32
My 99 1/2 year old P08 Luger is a fun range toy, everyone wants to shoot it. Fortunately it cycles well with cheap Federal Champion 9mm and only one broken part after thousands of rounds fired since I bought it in 1975.

RC51_Texas
07-05-12, 00:39
Smith & Wesson Model 41 - stupid accurate and feels like I'm cheating ...

Arik
07-05-12, 07:33
I never understood the point of buying a gun as a range toy. I mean guns are not exactly cheap. I consider all my guns to be for serious work. Of course i favor some more then others and i cant train with all of them at the same time but Glocks, HKs, and Smiths Are not exactly range toy only status. Same goes for my rifles. Colt AR, 2 AKs, FAL. The only ones i seldom use are my Mauser and Ruger M77 bolt action. Both are for hunting (Pa law. No semi autos). Even with this the Mauser has proved itself in battle. Wouldn't be my first choice but if i had to grab it i wouldn't feel that i had an inferior rifle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

KennyFSU
07-05-12, 07:53
My Saiga 12 is a HD, hunting, and range toy all in one. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehuhates
07-05-12, 08:08
Smith & Wesson Model 41 - stupid accurate and feels like I'm cheating ...

Not a range toy for me, I take lots of small game with mine. Great pistol.

JonInWA
07-05-12, 08:11
My Ruger 22/45 was bought specifically for inexpensive range practice; I got a 4.5" slab-sided barrel version as an analog for my Glock G17/G19, and my Nighthawk Talon II with it's 4.25" barrel.

I also have a 1938 P.08 Luger than John Martz and his crew completely refurbished mechanically and cosmetically beautified for me, and optomized for range and competition use; I used to se it for steel plate competitions, and currently about once a year I use it in an IDPA match-just because. It's a magnificant gun, and a joy to use and share.

Best, Jon

sadmin
07-05-12, 08:11
Tokarev & SKS...I have a stash of ammo for both so occasionally I bring them out to appreciate the evolution of ergos.

CAVDOC
07-05-12, 08:31
I have a nearly endless supply of "range toys"- my primary carrys are a j frame ,seecamp 32 and glocks. Also from time to time a 1911. My top tier "range toy" is a Colt 1911 9mm. It works well enough for the range for cheap practice and my clubs weekly combat pistol league, but even after smithing and tinkering with mags is still not quite as reliable as my glocks. We're only talking about maybe a 1 malfunction every 300 rounds or so, but that is enough for me to relegate it to a training only gun.

brickboy240
07-05-12, 10:27
The pistol I own that I do not "train" for defensive use...those I consider "range toys" even if a few COULD easily double as defensive guns.

Those would be my very worked over FN Hi-Power, SIG P228 and the Kimber TLE II.

The Hi-Power has an almost 1911-ish trigger and is actually the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot.

People love to poo poo all things Kimber and admittedly it is not anywhere near the be-all 1911, but I'd be lying if I said this silly lower end Kimber Series II has not been reliable and very accurate. Not for serious use or duty carry but for range shooting the MIM-filled Kimber can turn out some respectable groups for an 800 dollar pistol.

- brickboy240

richiecotite
07-05-12, 11:18
I never understood the point of buying a gun as a range toy. I mean guns are not exactly cheap. I consider all my guns to be for serious work. Of course i favor some more then others and i cant train with all of them at the same time but Glocks, HKs, and Smiths Are not exactly range toy only status. Same goes for my rifles. Colt AR, 2 AKs, FAL. The only ones i seldom use are my Mauser and Ruger M77 bolt action. Both are for hunting (Pa law. No semi autos). Even with this the Mauser has proved itself in battle. Wouldn't be my first choice but if i had to grab it i wouldn't feel that i had an inferior rifle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not everyone buys guns for serious work. Many people purchase guns for the enjoyment of taking a day off, going out with friends/family, or just to practice marksmanship. For a lot of people it's just a hobby.

Same reason people buy jet ski's, expensive stereo equipment, souped up cars, etc.

QuackXP
07-05-12, 11:59
Right now my range toys are all gifts/semi-permant loans from family.

I have a Colt Lawman MK IV in .38/.357 that my grandfather gave me.

I also have a Ruger MK II and a Marlin 25 that are on semi-permant loan from my father.

I do want a Colt 1911 70 Series stainless and a M1 Garand that will not be used for defensive purposes.

Defensive firearsm are a Colt LE6920, S&W M&P 40 FS, and a Ruger LCP.

newyork
07-05-12, 12:19
I, like you Loupav, use my HK45s for training and HD. I have a P30 also set up with light LEM when I can't afford .45 and my Wilson CQB is my toy.

Zhurdan
07-05-12, 12:19
Range toys useless? Only if you don't enjoy them. :D

I've got a few that I just like to take out and shoot once in a while and they fall nowhere in the realm of "defense use".

FN PS90 SBR (I like unique stuff)
FN FS2000 (same as above)
FN 5.7 (same as above)
MP5 clone (watched Die Hard one too many times)
Ruger Vaquero's 45LC (used to do Cowboy Action)
Uberti 1866 Yellowboy (same as above)
Ruger 22/45 Bull barrel (bullseye shooting)

All get shot from time to time and they make me smile each time. Is it a lot of money wrapped up in items that aren't as "serious" as the main guns I train with? Sure, but I'm sure that most of us, at one point or another in our lives, have had more money than we knew what to do with at the time. Nowadays, I trade money for time so that I can enjoy the things I own.

Awesome1228
07-05-12, 13:34
I have several guns that rarely if ever see any use other than fun shooting.
Ruger MK III 22/45. Shoots like a dream
Heritage Arms .22 mag/LR 6 shooter. Great fun, easy to shoot and everyone always wants a turn shooting it.
Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum. This one actually gets carried on my hip when I'm hunting but rarely gets shot outside of the range, however if I ever needed it I would feel more than confident using it to stop a bear or cougar or moose or any other big, mad critter that I might come across in the mountains.
Ruger 10/22, I think this one is pretty obviously a toy, never intended for any serious use.

I like shooting, and even the serious and daily carry guns get shot for fun as well as training and practice.

Icopy1
07-06-12, 07:46
My UZI pistol is probably my only range toy. Heck, I can't really CCW it. But it is a joy to take to the range.

ddnguyen9
07-07-12, 01:49
This is my range toy... Springfield 1911 TRP with a Surefire X400.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/d3e8903c.jpg

Hogsgunwild
07-07-12, 10:28
My S&W revolvers and H&K USP .45 with light LEM trigger easily fall into the "range toy" category. The H&K is a great gun, reliable accurate,
has an awesome trigger but the size, weight, uncommon trigger (from my other guns) and magazine prices have always kept it in the "not for serious use" category.

I have come to the realization that I just do not want to carry anything that weighs more than my Walther PPQ. My Shield, M&P 9MM compact and PPQ are fine but nearly everything else in my safe has become obsolete for the purpose of a serious defensive handgun. This means that I have a ton of crap that I just do not need. All of my 1911s have become relegated to nothing more than a toy for me. They weigh a ton and do not even carry much ammo.

I bought a scale recently to weigh my carry guns with. I am surprised at some of the things it helped me to realize.
I weighed my M&P .45 compact. Loaded, it was less than three ounces heavier than my loaded 9MM PPQ. The M&P .45 compact is actually above the cutoff point of what I have become comfortable with in a carry gun. My M&P 9MM compact that I carried for many months and lately my PPQ have really spoiled me.

My Gunsite CCO .45 Colt (aluminum frame) is actually heavier (loaded, 6+1) than my M&P .45 compact (loaded, 8+1).

My steel government model 1911s which I have carried on and off for years, are about twelve ounces heavier than my PPQ (both loaded).
My PPQ carries 15+1 124 gr +P Gold Dots. My 1911s have 7+1 230 gr Rangers. The PPQ costs about one sixth of some of the 1911s.
The PPQ is as accurate as my best 1911s.

Buying the postal scale really made me realize how much dead weight / "range toys" that I have in the safe. I now question the relevance of most of my guns that weigh above about 33 ounces, loaded.

I will always have a few range toys. My S&W Performance Center Model 27 (5") and Model 29 (3") are incredible performers and they aren't going anywhere. My midsize .45 M&P is heavier than I like for carry but it is such an incredible gun that it is sticking around as well.
Luckily, my Rohrbaugh, my Shield and my PPQ are just as much fun as any of my guns but they are not in the "range toy" category.

loupav
07-07-12, 12:33
MP5 clone (watched Die Hard one too many times)

I NEED a range toy like that!!!!

That's very cool. I was not expecting so many range toys. Thanks for the responses guys!