PDA

View Full Version : LMT SOPMOD vs Magpul STR stock

highlighter
07-05-12, 00:18
LMT SOPMOD stock $200

Magpul STR $100

What does the LMT stock offer that can't be had for $100 less with the Magpul STR?

lunchbox
07-05-12, 00:23
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90341&highlight=STR+sopmod

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105206&highlight=STR+sopmod

Quick search will keep ya busy.

highlighter
07-05-12, 00:32
Thanks!

lunchbox
07-05-12, 00:48
Not a problem, BTW I have a STR and It's a nice stock and have been happy it. Don't have any exp. with LMT sopmod but I'm sure its worth every penny.

BufordTJustice
07-05-12, 01:15
Not a problem, BTW I have a STR and It's a nice stock and have been happy it. Don't have any exp. with LMT sopmod but I'm sure its worth every penny.

I owned both (yes, a genuine LMT gen 1 SCB stock). I ended up selling the LMT. The STR is just simply better. And it's made for the A5 receiver extension.

The LMT is a fantastic stock. Nothing bad to say about it. The STR fit me and my uses better. YMMV. Only way for YOU to know is to try them both.

VIP3R 237
07-05-12, 01:22
While the lmt is nice, a more fair apples to apples comparison as far as price would be the b5 sopmod stock. Its almost an exact copy of the lmt but its $100.

lunchbox
07-05-12, 01:26
I owned both (yes, a genuine LMT gen 1 SCB stock). I ended up selling the LMT. The STR is just simply better. And it's made for the A5 receiver extension.

The LMT is a fantastic stock. Nothing bad to say about it. The STR fit me and my uses better. YMMV. Only way for YOU to know is to try them both.

?? Did not know that (guess need to follow own advice). I'm planning on getting the A5 kit after hearing great recommends/reviews. Gun runs great, butttt already have stock. Its just meant to be. :D

fixit69
07-05-12, 01:27
I have, and still use both. If you look around you can find the LMT cheaper.

Both are good stocks. I happen to fall in the MAGPUL camp. But I deer hunt with the LMT. Don't even ask me why, I couldn't tell you.

But a hundred extra would be hard to cough up for IMHO a stock, when there is a stock that does what I want it to for a hundred less.

Disclaimer: I paid 120 for my LMT new. Not B5, from all research an actual LMT. Shot the$ 200+ ones, looked at the markings, all legit.

The Rat
07-05-12, 01:33
My preference is for the STR for two main reasons.

I can access the battery compartments without taking the stock off of the weapon.

I can use a rear bag without any risk of it accidentally pushing down on the stock latch and making the stock collapse when I'm in the midst of shooting. (Since the latch is shielded on the STR, but not on the LMT.)

That it fits perfect on the A5 receiver extension is a big bonus.

lunchbox
07-05-12, 01:43
Also, Ilike the cheek weld on the STR. Used it this past deer season on my 6.8spcII.

Koshinn
07-05-12, 02:37
STR is pretty much the perfect stock, imo.

It's also stronger than the SOPMOD in drop testing when attached to a rifle.

HKBanger
07-05-12, 12:41
Screw spending $200 on the LMT.

Get the B5 SOPMOD for $100. If it's good enough for special operations then it's good enough for us. Trust me, I've had both and the B5 is easily the way to go. Not a damn difference in the two, aside from the $100 price difference. B5 SOPMOD is the best deal on the best darn stock for the AR15. :D

edit: Also, the SOPMOD has a built in QD socket accessible from both sides, instead of the Magpul milk-you-for-every-penny QD attachment that only attaches to one side and sticks out a half an inch.

Brian Brazier
07-05-12, 14:03
I recently tried both and the STR is the one that I perfer, the shape and size of the butt pad on the LMT doesnt fit me at all. The STR is taller than the LMT, has more accessible storage, and just works better IMO.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/DSCN0036.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/DSCN0010.jpg

TehLlama
07-05-12, 16:29
My SOPMOD is very nice, but I only use it because one came with my SR-15.

Wiggity
07-05-12, 16:46
I think a better comparison would be between the STR and B5 sopmod.

Besides the finish, its the exact same thing for $100 less

zibby43
07-05-12, 21:32
I have an LMT SOPMOD on my 6920 and an STR on my DDM4V3.

I like them both equally. The LMT SOPMOD locks up just as tight (if not tighter) than the STR without the use of a friction lock. That being said, it is noticeably easier to adjust the STR. The LMT rides so tight on the RE that it requires some elbow grease to manipulate.

This really isn't a big deal, but the SOPMOD is quite a bit easier to install. You need a small tool to install the STR (Magpul provides a cheap plastic 5.56 dummy round).

I prefer the storage setup on the LMT, too.

Endur
07-05-12, 21:41
STR hands down. Cheaper, much better on the eyes, optional enhanced buttpad, better designed and it's magpul, nothing else to say.