PDA

View Full Version : Bases for Howa 1500?

Nick_the_Quick
07-05-12, 10:16
I just bought a Howa 1500, going to put a 42mm scope on it. Does anyone know what model bases to get for it?

I've heard some advocants of Talley rings and bases, specifically their one piece mounts.

What are the best in your opinion, and as to Talley what size do I need to fit a .308 rifle with a 42mm scope?

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-05-12, 10:17
I just bought a Howa 1500, going to put a 42mm scope on it. Does anyone know what model bases to get for it?

I've heard some advocants of Talley rings and bases, specifically their one piece mounts.

What are the best in your opinion, and as to Talley what size do I need to fit a .308 rifle with a 42mm scope?

Any rem 700 base will fit. I use Nightforce and Seekins

SkiDevil
07-05-12, 11:24

I would go to the respective website for Tally, Leupold, Warne, DNZ, Burris, or whichever, manufacturer you are interested in purchasing.

My Howa 1500 .308 came with Leupold rifleman rings and standard two-piece base. I just checked the Leupold conversion chart and dependant on the model mine was listed as the Remington 700 Long Action as the conversion for a Leupold one piece base.

Talley rings are pretty nice, some of the best made.

If you are not certain on the model, contact the manufacturer of the rings/ mount before you buy. On my rifle, I have a 40 mm objective on a set of Medium height rings and there is still clearance from the barrel. If you go any larger than 42mm then you will likely have to go with a High set of rings.

Good luck,

SkiDevil

JStor
07-06-12, 20:53
Talleys are good to go. You should have plenty of clearance using their low rings, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. If I recall correctly, the Howa takes a Remington 700 base.

I prefer the steel removable screw lock rings and bases over the aluminum one piece base/ring pairs. With the one piece, the rings are the bases, and while this may sound great, any time the scope needs to be removed, you have to take off the ring caps. Then you have to do all the leveling, eye relief adjustment, etc. all over again to reinstall. Of course the aluminum one piece units are inexpensive, but the steel detachables are head and shoulders above them in strength and design characteristics.

I've adopted a simple strategy over the years...hunting rifles get steel removable Talleys, accuracy orientated, heavy barrelled rifles get Badger Ordnance and the AR15s get Larue. As others have pointed out, there are fine products from other manufacturers, too.