PDA

View Full Version : bolt modification

pmercer
01-21-08, 11:18
Hi guys,

I'm building a straight pull internally silenced black rifle. In order to abide by local laws, I can't use any components that can be used in a semi/auto version.

As there will be no gas system, the only think I have that could be used is the bolt.

If I remove the gas rings and then remove the 'lips' that hold them, would the bolt still fit squarely in the bolt carrier. I wasn't sure if the gas rings kept the bolt square.

Bear in mind that the bolt will on ly be cycled by the charging handle.

Thanks for any thoughts you share.

Paul

markm
01-21-08, 11:35
I think the rings can go (this is done with piston conversions sometimes), but the "lips" removed would make the bolt flop around in the carrier too much.

Failure2Stop
01-21-08, 14:25
How about filling the ring gap with solder?

pmercer
01-21-08, 14:47
OO, I don't want it slopping around. I was think about solder, but wouldn't the heat cause a problem? I guess some silver solder or something melts at a much lower temp than then the bolt so could use that.

Thanks for letting me know I have to use something rather than remove all the material.

pmercer
01-24-08, 22:49
Just to update people, I removed the rings and there was no extra 'flop' which there should have been, so I took a few measurements.

The rearmost shank of the bolt is what seems to steady the rear of the it. It fits into a snug hole inside the rear of the bolt carrier and the front of the bolt is steadied by the front shank of the bolt.

Thanks for your advice.