PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 Gen. 3 or Beretta 96 A1

MFWIC2
07-05-12, 15:43
Which would you choose for personal defense?
I know they are 2 totally different platforms.

RC51_Texas
07-05-12, 16:20
Glock 22 Gen 3 - hands down ...

MFWIC2
07-05-12, 16:30
I have a guy wanting to trade. And I was going to send the slide to Doug@ATEi to have a RMR, Trituim Suppressor sights installed.
Should turn out to be a bad a** G22 w/Surefire X300.:D

Dionysusigma
07-05-12, 16:40
I'd be torn, as I love both platforms a lot.

I'd personally not trade, though, as many past experiences with used guns have left me less-than-trusting of anything I haven't owned myself from the first 4473 ever filled out on it. That's just me, though.

goodoleboy
07-05-12, 16:43
G22, without question. Great pistol, IMHO. Mine is a Gen 3, RTF2.

Kain
07-05-12, 18:17
Sort of tough, if it were 9mm I would be truly undecided, but given we are looking at .40 I would likely go with the Glock.

Cagemonkey
07-05-12, 20:11
Why a Gen 3 Glock 22(.40cal)? Glock made changes in the Gen 4 G22 specifically to address previous issues with the .40cal. When it comes to a .40cal pistol, IMHO, the only one that I would want is the S&W M&P.

RC51_Texas
07-05-12, 21:35
Why a Gen 3 Glock 22(.40cal)? Glock made changes in the Gen 4 G22 specifically to address previous issues with the .40cal. When it comes to a .40cal pistol, IMHO, the only one that I would want is the S&W M&P.

Because it's time proven and now standard issue for a Tier 1 US Military Group that's known as the "best of the best" shooters. Glock 22 Gen 3 - enough said.

Devildawg2531
07-05-12, 21:49
Because it's time proven and now standard issue for a Tier 1 US Military Group that's known as the "best of the best" shooters. Glock 22 Gen 3 - enough said.

What .mil group is the G22 issued to? Haven't heard about that.

I would choose the G22 for self defense and anything else except pure accuracy / target use at the range over the 96. I have both and like both but I never carry the 96 as it's HUGE and HEAVY and hard to conceal. For pure accuracy I find the 96 a bit more accurate then my G22.

VIP3R 237
07-05-12, 22:18
What .mil group is the G22 issued to? Haven't heard about that.

I would choose the G22 for self defense and anything else except pure accuracy / target use at the range over the 96. I have both and like both but I never carry the 96 as it's HUGE and HEAVY and hard to conceal. For pure accuracy I find the 96 a bit more accurate then my G22.

IIRC larry vickers said the od green glock 22's were specifically made for a tier one group, I just cant remember the name.

RC51_Texas
07-05-12, 22:56
IIRC larry vickers said the od green glock 22's were specifically made for a tier one group, I just cant remember the name.

It could be the Tier 1 Group that Larry was once a Member of ...

rathos
07-06-12, 00:32
I absolutely hate .40, but if I was going to buy one it would be the 96A1 and I would get a barsto .357 sig barrel with it.

ST911
07-06-12, 11:05
Let's dispense with the "because Delta/CAG/SOCOM/tier 1/etc" used it. Big deal.

OP, what do you want the gun to do? What PM schedule, durability, and reliability do you require? How does the established record of each weigh them out? Have you researched the merits and liabilties of each, both extensively discussed here and elsewhere?

I have little use for the 40SW/40 Auto caliber in general.
I have less use for the Beretta 90-series.

There is a Glock 23 non-FG/R on my hip as I type this. It's in 40 only because it is provided free.

MFWIC2
07-06-12, 11:21
My primary use would be for personal/home defense. I don't care about what military unit carries them.
I want something that is going to be reliable, dependable, in rain, snow, mud, etc..
So my assumption after all the research is the G22 is the route to go.
Yea, I know it's .40 and that's fine with me because that's all I have ever owned.

DBZ220
07-06-12, 11:53
Tier 1 issue or not, my previous dept had damn near two dozen Glock 22s that would not function with a weapon light attached. Same for guys who chose the alternate issued G23. I have two G22s that also malfunction with a light, and my G23 does as well. These are all Gen3 pistols of varying age. My newer Gen4 G22 runs just fine with a light. Just something to consider if mounting a light is a priority for your intended role. For reference, all our Glocks ran TLR1 lights when they suffered failures. On my personal Glocks I tried a Surefire x200 with similar failures.

ShipWreck
07-06-12, 11:55
Absurd notion - go check out both and see what you like better - otherwise, you'll just end up with someone else's favorite gun.

I've owned 5 Glocks over the years... Just don't really care for them anymore.

I do have nine Beretta 92s, so obviously I am biased towards Berettas. Both are good guns.

I personally like the DA pull of the first shot... Argue all you want about "the real safety is in between your ears," but the truth is that there are tons of accidental discharges of Glocks every month all across the country at police departments. That's not to say that a Glock is not a good gun, but you do have to be more careful... And since non of us are perfect and we screw something up each and every day (typically), who is to say what might happen.

Anyway - feel both and see which feels better in your hand. See if you can rent both, or at least a 9mm 92, to get an idea of which you like. Go from there...

Some people like Glocks. SOme people like Berettas. Both are good guns..

Simplest solution - buy both! :D

Abraxas
07-06-12, 12:13
M&P 40 for a better 40. But between your choices, the G22.

MFWIC2
07-06-12, 12:31
What was the main reason for the failures? Other than a light attached.

Tier 1 issue or not, my previous dept had damn near two dozen Glock 22s that would not function with a weapon light attached. Same for guys who chose the alternate issued G23. I have two G22s that also malfunction with a light, and my G23 does as well. These are all Gen3 pistols of varying age. My newer Gen4 G22 runs just fine with a light. Just something to consider if mounting a light is a priority for your intended role. For reference, all our Glocks ran TLR1 lights when they suffered failures. On my personal Glocks I tried a Surefire x200 with similar failures.

DBZ220
07-06-12, 12:45
The main reason I've gathered is the weight of the light combined with how having it attached to the dust cover rails alters the frame flex during firing. This affects .40 models much more than the 9mm versions. Glock sent us revised magazines two times, different recoil assemblies and still some G22s and 23s just wouldn't run properly with a weaponlight attached. The solution was going to the Gen4 in .40. So far they've been 100% with lights attached.

Heavy Metal
07-06-12, 14:30
I have heard nothing but strong positives about the Gen 4 .40 glocks. I would give them a hard look before setteling on a Gen 3.

The whole point of the Gen 4 Glocks was to fix the defiencies in the .40s and it seems they succeeded in that even if they did introduce problems with the 9mm's.

MFWIC2
07-06-12, 15:44
After talking to several people and research the problem was the magazine spring. If you have malfunctions with the light attached, the magazine spring with an extra coil is supposed to solve the issues.
Anyway I'm sticking with the G22 Gen. 3 for now.
I have a G27 for back up and never had any issues with it.
There is something about M&P's that hasn't turned me on yet.
Maybe in the future.:rolleyes:

DBZ220
07-06-12, 15:55
For the record, the G22 mags with a small 2 in the lower right hand corner did lessen malfunctions slightly but did not cure the issue. These are the mags with an extra coil.
Heck, Glock said the mags with a 1 in the same spot were a fix as well when combined with fresh recoil springs.
There is a tolerance stacking issue overall, with mags being just part of the equation....

MFWIC2
07-07-12, 15:38
So what you are all saying my G22 is a POS.
And I should trade for a S&W M&P .40 as fast as I can.............

DBZ220
07-07-12, 16:05
My experience with the G22 is fine aside from the light issues I've already mentioned. Just test your particular weapon thoroughly *IF* you plan on running it with a mounted light.
The Gen4 version Glock is, in my experience, a better choice if going with a Glock and the .40 caliber.
The M&P in .40 is a fine weapon as well in my limited experience; with it.

plouffedaddy
07-07-12, 16:44
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0887.jpg

I went through the police academy back when all the G22 with light issues were just being discovered so I'm a little paranoid about 40 S&W Glocks. I only shoot mine with the light on nowadays just to ensure they're functioning properly.

The one above was made in 2010, has only been run with the TRL2 on it for over 1k rounds---0 malfunctions of any kind.

jeep4life
07-08-12, 09:49
Id say go with the glock you will be happy you did

Ranger45
07-08-12, 10:00
Glock 22...but I'd go with a Gen 4 over a Gen 3 in .40.

MFWIC2
07-08-12, 14:29
Well I have a G22 Gen. 3. That I'm sending the slide to Mark @ L&M to have the slide milled for a RMR RM06 Adjustable plus Tritium Suppressor sights and re-finished in Mil-Spec Green.
I'll be running a Surefire X300. And we will see what happens.
Will a Gen. 4 frame fit a G22 slide?
I know that sounds like a dumb question and it probably will fit.

Heavy Metal
07-08-12, 14:33
Well I have a G22 Gen. 3. That I'm sending the slide to Mark @ L&M to have the slide milled for a RMR RM06 Adjustable plus Tritium Suppressor sights and re-finished in Mil-Spec Green.
I'll be running a Surefire X300. And we will see what happens.
Will a Gen. 4 frame fit a G22 slide?
I know that sounds like a dumb question and it probably will fit.

No it won't fit.

MFWIC2
07-08-12, 14:41
Well I guess I'm stuck with the Gen. 3.

tpd223
07-08-12, 22:55
Pre H series gen 3 G22s run just fine, if you keep up with the PMCS.

Post H series G22s and a crap shoot. Regardless of what high speed unit is running G22s the issues are well documented. I know of thousands of G22s that don't run worth a damn, and not all of them had lights mounted on them.

That being said, I wouldn't want a Beretta 96 unless it was being delivered to my door by the Swedish Bikini Team, and I would sell it cheap as soon as they left.

Seriously, the 96 is a dog.

tpd223
07-08-12, 22:58
After talking to several people and research the problem was the magazine spring. If you have malfunctions with the light attached, the magazine spring with an extra coil is supposed to solve the issues.
Anyway I'm sticking with the G22 Gen. 3 for now.
I have a G27 for back up and never had any issues with it.
There is something about M&P's that hasn't turned me on yet.
Maybe in the future.:rolleyes:

The answer you got is bullshit.

The problem was never the magazines, it was/is excessive slide velocity.

ekaphoto
07-09-12, 00:09
Either will do the job. The important facter is what one fits YOUR hound best and you feel comfortable with.