PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with M&P9 ejector after installing new Sear Housing Block

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-12, 18:00
I originally purchased the M&P9 a couple of years ago with no magazine safety or built in lock, but with manual safety.

I recently decided to get rid of the manual safety as well as get a new sear housing block that had the newer and larger sear spring and hole, so that I could install the Apex gear that I had(DCAEK/RAM).

I ordered a new Sear Housing Block(thanks Grant) and ejector. The problem I am having is now the new ejector seems to be pushing up against a small polymer ridge in the frame and causing the back end of the ejector to slightly pop of of the groove and therefor sit at a little bit of an incorrect angle. I can put the old SHB/ejector in and it doesn't do this.

Anybody have any ideas? Am I doing it wrong, or maybe I can't use a newer SHB in an older M&P? I am all ears. :suicide2:

The First picture is of the SHB and ejector just starting to slide in before the little ridge in the polymer(next to the front dimple on the ejector) pushes the front of the ejector in to far.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/photo2.jpg

The second picture is where you can see the ejector being pushed in to far by the ridge at the front, and he back end being pushed out of the groove a little bit.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/photo1.jpg

rjacobs
07-05-12, 22:03
This is my 9c. There is a cutout for the little protrusion on the ejector in the frame that your gun does not seem to have. I will go dig my 9FS out of the safe and shoot a picture of it to to see if its different. I cant say for sure if my guns have the little protrusion on the ejector though since I dont want to pull them apart.

This 9c is a 2010 production gun with the older small spring sear block.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMAG0447.jpg

9FS is a 2009 looks the same as the 9C. This gun has the new large hole sear block(bought from Brownells) and I am almost 100% sure I used the new ejector that came with it as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMAG0448.jpg

Edit: My guns are non thumb safety guns. Do the thumb safety guns have a different ejector that does not have that protrusion? What does your older ejector look like?

C4IGrant
07-05-12, 22:12
Interesting. First question, can you install the NEW SHB into the gun WITHOUT the ejector?

C4

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-12, 22:53
Yes, the new sear housing block goes in just fine without the ejector. Technically it goes in just fine with the ejector on it as well, it's just that the little ridge on the frame of the gun pushes the front of the ejector over just a little bit, making it out of line. Everything else seems to be lined up fine, including the roll pin holes.

I can't tell if it's the fault of the little dimple that is on the ejector or it's the ridge on the frame. It's hard to tell once you push the SHB down in the frame. Either way, the ridge(or combination of the ridge and the dimple on the ejector) is pushing on the ejector to much and knocking it out of alignment.

Here is another picture. What seems to be pushing the ejector over is the little ridge on the left of the frame(that or maybe the ridge is pushing on the dimple). When I put my old SHB back in, it seems like that ridge rest just on the ejector(maybe helping to hold it in place?) but doesn't push it as far as I can tell.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/photo3.jpg

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-12, 22:59
Here is a picture of my two SHBs. The one on the left(top) is the new one, and the one on the right(bottom) is the old one.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/photo4.jpg

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-12, 23:08
Should I consider filing a tiny spot on that ridge(not talking filing the entire thing) where the dimple on the ejector seems o rest and see if it pops in correctly? I can't imagine that would hurt much of anything.

outrider627
07-05-12, 23:31
I can't remember where I read this, but supposedly there are minor internal differences between the thumb safety and non-TS frames, and you must use the appropiate SHB. So you might have to stay with the original SHB.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-12, 23:36
That sucks. I was wanting to be able to have the new style SHB that has the larger spring/hole.

Randy Lee
07-06-12, 00:29
Hi Whiskey Bravo,

Unfortunately, the new sear housing block you purchased will not work in a thumb safety frame.

However, the 45 sear block will. You will need to swap the ejectors (use the one from the old block in the new one). If you plan to run the gun without the thumb safety, You will also want the frame fillers to take up the space.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Whiskey_Bravo
07-06-12, 01:28
Thanks for the help Randy. Again, you guys are top notch.

I was afraid that was going to end up being the case. I haven't been able to find a 45 sear block anywhere, have any suggestions on where to try?

I guess I can always send my old block into you guys to have the hole drilled out(if you guys are still doing that), but I was wanting to make use of that shiny RAM I have staring back at my in the bag and I wouldn't be able to do that with my old sear block or the 45 one. I guess it is what it is.

I knew I should have been more patient when I bought the one with external safety.

rjacobs
07-06-12, 08:12
I honestly think it might be easier to sell the thumb safety gun and buy a new one without the thumb safety.

smitty704
07-06-12, 15:22
Agreed.

Randy Lee
07-06-12, 18:14
Thanks for the help Randy. Again, you guys are top notch.

I was afraid that was going to end up being the case. I haven't been able to find a 45 sear block anywhere, have any suggestions on where to try?

I guess I can always send my old block into you guys to have the hole drilled out(if you guys are still doing that), but I was wanting to make use of that shiny RAM I have staring back at my in the bag and I wouldn't be able to do that with my old sear block or the 45 one. I guess it is what it is.

I knew I should have been more patient when I bought the one with external safety.

Feel free to send your block in for the upgrade. Now that we have the mill set up in the new shop, we can offer the upgrades now.
The new RAM design is complete for the thumb safety and 45 models, which will help tremendously with the reset in those variants. All I have to do now is figure out which material will yield the greatest service life.

-Randy