PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length question

glock21xxx
07-05-12, 20:33
Is there a spot when filling out paperwork for sbr in which you denote the length of barrel you'll be using?

If so, would it behoove me to list the shortest barrel possible so that I can go up to 16" or greater? Perhaps list it as 7" or greater?

About ready to file my first sbr lower.....thanks!

saddlerocker
07-05-12, 21:13
I dont think they accept 7-14.7", or less than 16" anymore.
They used to, but people have been saying their forms are returned for corrections when listed that way.

You need to list one barrel length, you can change the barrel length after its registered no problem.

Im not sure if you need to be able to assemble back to the original length at all times or not (meaning you would need to own that length barrel/upper forever)

Todd.K
07-09-12, 11:23
List the length you intend to build.

You can use any length longer or shorter without any paperwork after it's approved. If you make a permanent change to the configuration the ATF requests you send them a letter after you change it to keep the records accurate.

WS6
07-09-12, 11:39
List the length you intend to build.

You can use any length longer or shorter without any paperwork after it's approved. If you make a permanent change to the configuration the ATF requests you send them a letter after you change it to keep the records accurate.

So once my Form 4 is approved for my 12.5, if I want a 10.5, I just buy it--as long as I retain my 12.5 upper, I can shoot my 10.5" upper on that lower, legally, without also having the 12.5" with me, as long as I still own it, and no amendment needs to be sent in?

Do I understand correctly?

Todd.K
07-09-12, 12:40
You can use any length or caliber you want on your SBR.

The ATF "requests" you send them a letter with the new configuration if permanent, so there is no law requiring it. They also say to send the letter when the change is made, so no permission is needed to change it.

If you do send a letter in you can expect to get a reply in one to two years thanking you for keeping the records accurate.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

WS6
07-09-12, 20:12
You can use any length or caliber you want on your SBR.

The ATF "requests" you send them a letter with the new configuration if permanent, so there is no law requiring it. They also say to send the letter when the change is made, so no permission is needed to change it.

If you do send a letter in you can expect to get a reply in one to two years thanking you for keeping the records accurate.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Thanks!

Along these lines...

...are there any plans to use the M249/hammer forged barrel construction in the .300 AAC caliber?

RCO'B
07-15-12, 15:44
From experience, I sent a letter to Martinsburg after I swapped a 10.5 for an 11.5 barrel. 18 mo's later I see a letter to me from the ATF, totally forgot and about crapped my pants wondering why they were mailing me something to me out of the blue. Too funny.