PDA

View Full Version : Looking for first hand info on different 12" FSP rails.

ac130usnsr
07-06-12, 08:28
I am currently looking for a Front Sight Pocket 12" carbine rail.

Rail use will be for a light forward of the FSB at the 12 o'clock position, VFG and QD attachment point for sling.

I am familiar with the DD Omega X (have a DD M4V3) and like how thin it is.

I have been looking at other rails though and was hoping to get some feedback based on personal experience.

Obvious first choices would be DD Lite/Omega X/RIS II or Centurion C4 FSP. However, price being a factor, the current options I am considering are the MI MCTAR-20X G2 and Troy MRF-CX. I can get either one for ~$180, including shipping.

I really like the Troy TRX-E 15" I have, but I have zero firsthand knowledge of any MI products.

How do those two compare to my first choices? Are my first choices really $200 better?

I know the Troy is a hefty 20 oz, so it is lower on my list than the MI, which weighs in at the same 14.2 oz as the C4 FSP and 2 oz lighter than the DD Omega X/RIS II, but is a little on the fat side in width.

So, are the Troy or MI up to the task on a hard use rifle? Or would one of my top choices be better ($200 better, not potential resale or bragging rights)?

If so please explain as I am willing to wait if there really is a tangible/functional benefit.

SteadyUp
07-06-12, 09:50
Some searching of the site would be in order, as you're really asking us to make a decision that only you can decide.

My experience with FSP rails has includes the DD Omega X and the DD M4 versions. Between the two, I preferred the Omega X because it includes QD sling attachment points.

If I was going to buy another FSP rail, it would the Centurion hands down. It has the advantage of using the stock barrel nut (not having to remove a FSB is big advantage), being rock-solid when mounted, yet easy to remove for cleaning if need be, and it has QD attachment points at both the muzzle and barrel nut ends of the rail.

So for me, those features on the Centurion would make it "better" than the Troy or MI rails. The question is, does that make it "better" for you?

ac130usnsr
07-06-12, 10:35
Some searching of the site would be in order, as you're really asking us to make a decision that only you can decide.

I have searched the site and did not find the info I'm looking for. I am looking for first hand experience with the MI and/or Troy FSP rails vs the DD and/or Centurion FSP rails.

I know the DD and Centurion products are of higher quality, but I am trying to find out if they are of $200 higher quality and if the MI or Troy rails would be suitable for hard use.

If I was going to buy another FSP rail, it would the Centurion hands down. It has the advantage of using the stock barrel nut (not having to remove a FSB is big advantage), being rock-solid when mounted, yet easy to remove for cleaning if need be, and it has QD attachment points at both the muzzle and barrel nut ends of the rail.

Both the MI MCTAR-20XG2 and the Troy MRF-CX also use the stock barrel nut, have anti-rotation tabs, 4 anti-rotation QD sockets (2 each side, fore and aft) and do not require removal of the FSB for install.

nanners83
07-07-12, 23:08
No experience with the MI G2?
I've been really interested in these rails for a budget option.

Don't really care for the Troy MRFs. They're heavy as hell and not very durable.
I had a 10" that got dropped and the bottom portion bent out a bit. Made taking it off and on a pain, and sliding rail panels onto the side rails a struggle.