PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 German (folded slide) vs Modern P226

Swatieson
07-06-12, 12:16
Hello Folks,

I have the opportunity to buy a never-fired-in-pristine-condition German P226 manufactured about 10 years ago. The slide configuration is the old one like the M11 (the slide consists in a independent breech block pinned to a folded carbon steel sheet).

I always wanted a modern P226 but this is one is considerably cheaper.

Any thoughts? What I am loosing if I buy this one apart from worse corrosion resistance?

Regards.

PS: I didn't found nothing with the infamous "Search" button.

BigJoe
07-06-12, 12:20
buy it, they are great guns. if you want wear resistance just have it cerakoted. you will not be losing anything to the newer pistols. they actually have a better reputation for reliability.

HKBanger
07-06-12, 12:24
I'd take a 10 year old Sig over a recent one any day. You're losing nothing and gaining everything.

Awesome1228
07-06-12, 12:30
I recently purchased a German manufacture p226 made in 1993. You are actually gaining, not losing. Recent manufacture SIGs have had reliability problems, there is a lot of info on that on this site (I did a ton of reading before I pulled the trigger on my purchase).

I would buy another one in a heartbeat...unfired, German made...snatch it up.

SkiDevil
07-06-12, 12:40
Hello Folks,

I have the opportunity to buy a never-fired-in-pristine-condition German P226 manufactured about 10 years ago. The slide configuration is the old one like the M11 (the slide consists in a independent breech block pinned to a folded carbon steel sheet).

Any thoughts? What I am loosing if I buy this one apart from worse corrosion resistance?

Regards.

The stainless steel slide will be more durable than the folded stamped-steel slide. However, unless you are planning to fire a tremendous amount of ammunition through the pistol then it doesn't matter at all.

If you found a good deal on the older German made 226 I would buy it in a heart-beat. Also, check-out TopSupplySupply and pick-up some extra parts for the pistol, so you will have what you need in the future in the event the spare parts cease being produced.

Link:http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-parts/

I have owned half-a-dozen SIGs, great guns (older ones). The 226 is by far the most reliable pistol that I have owned in over 20 years of shooting handguns.

SkiDevil

P.S. If you decide you do not want the pistol it should command a premium on the used gun market, particularly if it really is NIB with the original papers and box.

Swatieson
07-06-12, 12:52
What I am actually gaining? I don't understand why the change significantly the design to make the gun "worse".

Kain
07-06-12, 13:02
What I am actually gaining? I don't understand why the change significantly the design to make the gun "worse".

I don't thick is has to do with the change, but rather the attention to detail and quality control on the newer pistols.

gunnut284
07-06-12, 13:04
The newer ones are purported to be of lower quality/QC. My experience with newer style Sigs has been great and I prefer them over the older ones personally.

Swatieson
07-06-12, 13:05
I don't thick is has to do with the change, but rather the attention to detail and quality control on the newer pistols.

Is the attention to detail and quality control better on the newer pistols?

Swatieson
07-06-12, 13:07
OK thanks all for the comments.

Kain
07-06-12, 13:17
Is the attention to detail and quality control better on the newer pistols?

Not from what I have heard. Back the other year when my 17 was stolen I looked at getting a Sig to replace it before a new 17 pretty much fell into my lap. I have a friend who has several good friend who worked for Sig and their response was if I wanted a Sig to look towards the older ones because it would serve me better in the long run.

SkiDevil
07-06-12, 13:23

In my view, if you purchase a new model 226 Stainless steel slide model, then the principal advantage are the more-rust resistant slide (still can rust), slightly more weight, future parts availability, and in general a more durable pistol due to the solid construction of the slide.

I have shot and owned both the stamped and the stainless slide models, they were all equally very accurate.

The reality is that for most typical shooters it does not make any difference.

I would buy the pistol and go shoot-it.

Dionysusigma
07-06-12, 14:17
I've owned a Sig P6 (W. German) and own a P220R (Exeter, NH). Both were/are good pistols - extremely accurate, 100% reliable with OEM magazines. A couple thousand rounds through each to back up my anecdote. :)

Collectors like guns that aren't offered anymore, though...

Pi3
07-07-12, 10:34
Be sure that it was made after 2008. The 226s made before that date had frame cracking issues.

SkiDevil
07-07-12, 12:36
Be sure that it was made after 2008. The 226s made before that date had frame cracking issues.

The only SIGs that I have seen with cracked or fractured frames were not properly maintained, particularly not replacing the recoil spring.

Properly maintained and lubricated these pistols will provide a very long service life. I have seen at least two 226s in 9mm with over 100K rounds through them and both although certainly rough in appearance were still serviceable.

runifucan
07-07-12, 20:24
get extra roll pins for the slide insert, topgun has them. I'd recommend changing the mainspring and strut to the newer style for less stacking on the double action trigger pull. The slide rusting easily is not a myth. My older model was an 88 and it was one of the most accurate handguns I've shot. the newer model had more percieved recoil due to the extra weight of the slide. Very reliable unless you go lower than 19lbs on the mainspring. Topgun has replacement spring kits and the parts needed for the mainspring conversion. Buy it is my vote.

Edit: the newer model wore thru the anodizing on the underside of the front frame rails at a lower round count with the same maintenance and cleaning.

mdrums
07-07-12, 20:38
Bottom line is Sig's are excellent pistols especially the P226. I own a newer P226 and there have been zero issues. My local range rents out 4 different Sig's and with talking to the armorer, there Sig's are all with in 5 years old and are the most reliable like the zglocks they rent.

shooterfpga
07-07-12, 21:20
i had a sig p229r manufacture date of august 2010 and it was an awesome piece. not one issue with it at all, but ive never seen anyone complain about any real issues about sigs except for sig sticklers that can tell the miniscule difference and a few issues with polymer sigs.

HKAngusKL
07-07-12, 22:26
The 226 you may want to avoid were the series in the late 80's (I think 86 with a small number made in 87) that had scalloped "mud rail" relief cuts in the frame rails. The lifespan of those frames has been a known issue. Folded slide 226s produced thereafter and current production 226 pistols are GTG.

Swatieson
07-08-12, 05:27
This is the actual candidate:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4813/p226l.jpg

Year of manufacture 1999-2000.

Swatieson
07-08-12, 06:19
The slide rusting easily is not a myth.

It is NOT a myth?

G.B.
07-08-12, 07:40
The older west German sigs are the best. In the late 90's early 2000's (not sure the actuall year may have been later) the guy who ran qc for kimber went to work for sig. The metal frame p series guns still seem to be fine but a lot of the new designs aren't the best. Since he has started with sig their quality is not what it once was but that seems to be the trend as of late. Original sigs p226 p228 p225 are 9mm with a stamped slide and pinned breech block. Nothing wrong with this design as long as you maintain your springs and pins. When sig started using the 40 s&w and 357 sig they started using solid machined slides to handle the stronger recoil. Other than that they're all the same and a lot of the parts such a decock levers, springs and other small parts interchange between models and different power spring are available from wolf. One more thing is the older models don't have rails.

carlo1776
07-08-12, 10:17
I wouldn't trade my 1994 for a new one, no how. I'll get it refinished one day but it hasn't failed yet.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/carlo1776/226.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/carlo1776/IMG_1314.jpg

runifucan
07-08-12, 10:51
It is NOT a myth?

The finish on the slide of the older folded slide models require more upkeep to prevent corrosion.

brushy bill
07-08-12, 11:14
Do a word search for Cohen. Here's one example. Should help answer the new vs old SIG question for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=850310&postcount=26

Swatieson
07-08-12, 12:17
Do a word search for Cohen. Here's one example. Should help answer the new vs old SIG question for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=850310&postcount=26

LOL pretty convincing. I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow. :dirol:

Alaskapopo
07-08-12, 12:27
Old sigs are great guns new sigs not so much.
Pat

Hello Folks,

Regards.

Swatieson
07-08-12, 13:09
Now the next question:

Which parts should I upgrade? :help:

Beat Trash
07-08-12, 13:28
In the spring of 2000, I got someone to sign a letterhead and I bought a LEO package 226. The LEO package came with the 3-15 rd magazines (during the middle of the AWB), and supposedly the gun went through an extra QA check.

I never really shot the gun all that much compared to other guns. But it is the most accurate pistol I own. Also the most reliable.

I've shot newer 226's with the stainless slide. They are supposed to be more durable in theory. But the folded slide guns are durable enough for me.

If the price is right for the unfired older 226, then I'd jump on that vs. a newer gun.

chuckman
07-08-12, 13:38
Do it and don't look back. My fave of all my pistols was a 1988ish 226 that shot like a freakin' dream. I would take one of those over five 'new' ones any day.

murphy j
07-08-12, 14:05
This is the actual candidate:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4813/p226l.jpg

Year of manufacture 1999-2000.

I would most definitely purchase this pistol.

charmcitycop
07-08-12, 16:24

brushy bill
07-08-12, 17:43
Now the next question:

As someone else mentioned, I'd pick up a few extra roll pins since they aren't used in newest incarnations. Never know when SIG may cease production.

vereceleritas
07-08-12, 18:18
I would most definitely purchase this pistol.

I would as well. She's beautiful. And they literally do not make them like they used to anymore.

Like someone else said, night sights are a good upgrade. Other than that, all you need is more mags, ammo and a holster if you plan to carry.

Pi3
07-08-12, 19:16
CTC grips

An Undocumented Worker
07-08-12, 20:17
Now the next question:

These pistols were desinged by ze Ubermensch, to be used by ze Ubermensch. If you need aftermarket parts to run it, then you are not worthy.

Thats a joke, or is it?

Vgex2
07-08-12, 20:22
I would switch to the new style hammer strut/spring/seat, as I hate the roll pin in the long strut. It also gives a more consistent trigger, but the old one will function just fine.