PDA

View Full Version : Carry with a stippled gun?

C.Edwards
07-06-12, 18:18
Anyone CC a stippled pistol? If so any issue catching on clothes etc.... ?

I like it on my MOE grip and pmags and would like to do my g23 but want to make sure I can live with it. Thinking I could do it not to deep and hit it with a little fine sandpaper but wanted to here from some others.

So Saturday project or no?

Blayglock
07-06-12, 18:20
I know it's not exactly the same thing but I carry my G19 with some fairly aggressive grip tape wrapped around it. No issues with snag for me. I vote you go for it!

SpyderMan2k4
07-06-12, 18:33
The two pistols i carry most are both stippled (used to use grip tape but got tired of replacing it every few months). I dont have the left side done cause it would rub my side raw, but theres no issues with catching or snagging on clothing

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

polymorpheous
07-06-12, 18:48
Most of the people that are stippling their pistols are doing it because they attend multiple day training classes in which they get sweaty and lose a good solid grip on the gun.

I see no need for this on a carry gun.

God forbid if you ever have to use it, but if you do it will only be for a few seconds as opposed to several hours.

C.Edwards
07-06-12, 19:04
This is a little bit of everything gun. I use it for daily carry and also shoot it for IDPA ( would change it to ESP). I might use it in a class but it would be a back-up system to a carbine or shotgun. I really need to find some money for a g17 :sad:

margo walters
07-06-12, 19:07
I'm 6'1 190lbs and I carry a stippled G19 IWB at 3 o'clock with no garment between the gun and my skin. The grip does rub against my side and after a full day of carry I do have some redness on my side but nothing to cry about. I've been carrying stippled guns inside the waistband for about five years now and it does not bother me. BTW for holsters I use a Raven Phantom and before that a Comp Tac CTAC. No issues either way. I have not experienced any issues with the stippling snagging on clothes or causing any undo printing.

Guns-up.50
07-06-12, 19:13
I carry a G19 with 360 stippling, this is my do every thing gun. I wear a plain white under shirt. I recommend use an aggressive texture for this will wear over time and smooth out.

RD62
07-06-12, 19:33
Are you having issues maintaining a sufficient grip on the pistol and are looking to stippling as a possible solution or are you looking for a Saturday project?

If it's the later, stipple some rail covers or more PMags or something.

If it's the former, then stippling the pistol may be a good solution.

Joeywhat
07-06-12, 19:42
Most of the people that are stippling their pistols are doing it because they attend multiple day training classes in which they get sweaty and lose a good solid grip on the gun.

God forbid if you ever have to use it, but if you do it will only be for a few seconds as opposed to several hours.

So you never carry when it's raining out? Or when your hands are a bit sweaty for whatever reason? And you'll never need your gun when your hands are bloody from being shot/stabbed/whatever, right?

I've carried a stippled gun for about 3 years now. It can be uncomfortable without an undershirt, but it's not bad. Depending on how it's stippled, it will only catch on certain shirts. I wear cotton tees/button ups and rayon button ups with zero issues.

goteron
07-06-12, 20:06
I carry a very aggressively stippled MP9 FS. No issues. I wouldnt trade weapon control for comfort anyway.

polymorpheous
07-06-12, 20:09
So you never carry when it's raining out? Or when your hands are a bit sweaty for whatever reason? And you'll never need your gun when your hands are bloody from being shot/stabbed/whatever, right?

I've carried a stippled gun for about 3 years now. It can be uncomfortable without an undershirt, but it's not bad. Depending on how it's stippled, it will only catch on certain shirts. I wear cotton tees/button ups and rayon button ups with zero issues.

I have shot in the rain and with sweaty hands.
The pistol I use for classes and drills is stippled.

ETA: For the record, I ran the 10-8 test, El Prez x2, and a dot torture today at my range.
The temp today was 101*F ,76% humidity.
The gun a ran was a stock Gen3 G19.

Kilo 1-1
07-06-12, 20:10
I do. I did a grip reduction and re-texture job on my G19. Because I did the stippling myself, I made it where it doesn't catch on clothing or rub the skin raw, but still provides better traction than the stock texturing.

I should mention this is my "general purpose" G19 that I use for carry, for competition, and for training use. I have another G19 (RTF frame) that I found too abrasive to carry daily.

NeoNeanderthal
07-06-12, 20:14
A lot of people just use a less aggressive stippling on the body side of the gun. Mine is very aggressive all the way around because i have a hard time holding onto a slick gun, regardless of conditions.

I carry everyday in an IWB holster and almost always wear an undershirt or wifebeater or something like that. If i don't the gun (the mag release especially) rubs me raw. A comptac or other holster with a leather interior barrier would help i'm sure!

mkaeding
07-06-12, 20:17
I vote yes as well. I have agressive stippling on both my G17 and the crimson tace grips on my 1911. I carry both in Raven and Comptac IWB holsters at 3 o'clock with and without shirts between the holster and my skin. I'm 6' 245 lbs. and experience more discomfort from the holsters when worn for long periods of time than from the grip jobs. I have also not experienced any significant decrease in my ability to clear the shirt from the gun when drawing.

Quiet-Matt
07-06-12, 20:23
On my carry pistol I just stippled the front and back straps. I left the sides alone and have no issues. This still provides more than enough grip.

El Cid
07-06-12, 20:40
I think it will depend partly on the clothing you wear. I carry daily under an untucked button down shirt. I found that having grip tape on the Glocks caused the garments to hang up sometimes. Since I'm a righty, I just leave the grip tape on the left where my support hand gets good purchase. I don't believe it's necessary on the shooting hand side because that hand gets to maintain contact with the front and back straps. I almost always wear an undershirt so it takes the brunt of inside wear and many of my under armoir style shirts have the damage to show it.

One thing though... All of my concealment shirts develop wear that eventually leads to thinning and holes where my pistol rides. That's even with the smooth sides of a gen 3 glock. With stippling that wear would simply be accelerated. With suits and sport coats you can have a piece of material sewn or ironed inside to reduce this. With casual shirts however it's not so easy.

Kokopelli
07-06-12, 20:47
Front strap and back strap (heavy checkering) provides the majority of the grip for me. I carry smooth grips.. Ron

rainman
07-06-12, 20:47
All of my G19s are stippled...this was usually done as p/o a grip reduction or re-contouring. It has never bothered me for CCW.

Assuming you will have someone else do the work, many shops offer varying degrees from very-aggressive / more suitable for competition to mild-to-medium / suitable for CCW. I suggest you talk with a number of people. I had several G19s done by Ben Simonson at Boresight Solutions...great work, stippling that gives a good hold, but not too aggressive. One of my G19s done by a another person is a lot more aggressive. I took some emery paper and smoothed it down some...problem = solved.

Do a search...there are a couple of threads here on m4c that show examples of various people's work (including some private / do-it-yourself jobs that turned out really good).

If you're planning to do it yourself, you may want to get some rail covers and experiment some.

Stippling is a personal preference...but I don't like the way Glock did the "grenade grip" checkering, and I've always felt that stippling a Glock improves my ability to shoot it. YMMV.

Good luck

-Rainman

gun71530
07-06-12, 20:51
I carry a Glock 19 RTF2 with no issues, and I rarely wear an undershirt.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ironman8
07-06-12, 20:54

I guess you don't eat any fried chicken either? :p

"Hold on a second Mr. Bad Guy while I rub the chicken grease off my hands..." :rolleyes:

Ironman8
07-06-12, 21:07
To contribute to the thread:

Some people say that the Gen4 Glocks have too rough of a grip for CC...when I first got it, I thought the same. But I decided to give it a couple weeks to see if I'd get used to it, and come to find out, very rarely do I feel the grip at all.

Oh, and I CC here in TX where 99% of the time I'm in just a t-shirt with no undershirt.

Smash
07-06-12, 21:28
Concealed carry is a very personal thing. For anyone to say someone is "F'ed" up for not stippling their carry gun is out of bounds. There are plenty of people that get along just fine without stippling even when blood, sweat, and tears are interjected into the equation(or fried chicken)

However, as others have stated: Try the stippling out, if it's wearing you raw get some grit and soften the profile of portions that you find making too much contact. That's the good thing about stippling, you can knock down some of the polymer peaks and find a setup that works for YOU.

ArBrnSnpr
07-06-12, 21:34
I daily carry a stippled G23 with no complaints. If I bought another, I would stipple it before I started carrying it. In addition to stippleing my Glocks I also under-cut the trigger guard, and slightly raise the beavertail/backstrap area and now find stock Glocks uncomfortable.

It's too easy to just change a stipple job if you find you don't like it, and in my opinion it offers an excellent way to "custom" fit your gun to your hand (within reason).

I would suggest doing it.

Ironman8
07-06-12, 21:49
Concealed carry is a very personal thing. For anyone to say someone is "F'ed" up for not stippling their carry gun is out of bounds. There are plenty of people that get along just fine without stippling even when blood, sweat, and tears are interjected into the equation(or fried chicken)

However, as others have stated: Try the stippling out, if it's wearing you raw get some grit and soften the profile of portions that you find making too much contact. That's the good thing about stippling, you can knock down some of the polymer peaks and find a setup that works for YOU.

I agree. My fried chicken comment was partly in jest, but mainly directed at the part about not needing it on a carry gun since you would only need it for a few seconds...that is the same as saying you're "F'ed" up for not stippling it, just on the opposite end of the spectrum...

CaptainDooley
07-06-12, 21:56
I carry what used to be an aggressively stippled M&P9 every day. It's rubbed a little smoother now, but I wear an undershirt for comfort (and did long before I carried as I tend to sweat a lot), and I've never had an issue with it rubbing or with it catching on clothing. Works for me.

stalker3
07-06-12, 22:08
Most of the grips of my guns are aggressively stippled... I think in some cases a lot of folks are too wrapped around comfort and feel good.

Smash
07-06-12, 22:14
I agree. My fried chicken comment was partly in jest, but mainly directed at the part about not needing it on a carry gun since you would only need it for a few seconds...that is the same as saying you're "F'ed" up for not stippling it, just on the opposite end of the spectrum...

Ha, my adding in the mention of your "in jest" comment was also "in jest" because I thought your comment was funny.

Although many situations in the past may show that altercations may only last minutes, there's always a what if. If you find yourself somewhere without cell service and you're alone. You and your EDC kit is all you're likely to have. Back country roads come to mind. Never count on something lasting X amount of time or everything going as you've trained or planned for.

Ironman8
07-06-12, 22:26
Ha, my adding in the mention of your "in jest" comment was also "in jest" because I thought your comment was funny.

Although many situations in the past may show that altercations may only last minutes, there's always a what if. If you find yourself somewhere without cell service and you're alone. You and your EDC kit is all you're likely to have. Back country roads come to mind. Never count on something lasting X amount of time or everything going as you've trained or planned for.

Right on ;)

Most of the grips of my guns are aggressively stippled... I think in some cases a lot of folks are too wrapped around comfort and feel good.

Stalker,

Were you at the Defoor class in CS in March?

I saw your pic in the Glock pic thread and I think I recognize that knife

Rattlehead
07-06-12, 22:31
My main carry gun is a 23/32/19 RTF. I do not wear an undershirt and I carry it in either a RCS VG2 or ACR. At first the RTF was tearing my lower stomach up, but now I do not have a problem with it. It also got chopped up after running/jogging; again, it's not a problem now that I've carried it about every day.

I also carry an M&P9C (in RCS ACR) that has been stippled, however it is more of a fine texture and not too extreme. There are ways to work around having an already aggressive texture on a gun if you 'over did' your stipple job.

Having the gun stippled/retextured generally allows people to get a more consistent grip when the gun is being drawn. For carry purposes, texture, and where or how you carry are what dictates the level of comfort.

I have not had any 'torn up' shirts or clothing due to the RTF or stippling.

stalker3
07-06-12, 22:59
Right on ;)

Stalker,

Were you at the Defoor class in CS in March?

I saw your pic in the Glock pic thread and I think I recognize that knife

Yessir! Had a blast out there. Had the knife on me out there, didn't do much with it.... didn't realize blades were gonna be covered so I didn't bring a trainer.

one
07-07-12, 00:55

It's over 100 deg. here right now where I live. Depending on where I'm working my hands are often sweaty well before pulling the gun from the holster. That's not even taking into account the potential for blood, rain, etc.

So yes. I carry a stippled pistol every day,work or personal. And my carbine's pistol grip is stippled as well. I found out the hard way one overly hot summer's day last year that the Magpul MIAD grip's stippling is of no use to sweat soaked hands during a manhunt in the woods.

RyanB
07-07-12, 03:02
I used to carry a 1911 with 25 lpi hand cut checkering. Plastic can't be stippled to match. I wish it could. The Gen4 grip feels slick to me.

Arik
07-07-12, 09:07
I carry my stippled M&P45 and have no problems with catching on clothing. I wear an undershirt so the stippling doesnt rub against my skin

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/6FD07892-orig.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/C432E852-orig.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/3856F1DF-orig.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

C.Edwards
07-07-12, 09:25
Are you having issues maintaining a sufficient grip on the pistol and are looking to stippling as a possible solution or are you looking for a Saturday project?

If it's the later, stipple some rail covers or more PMags or something.

If it's the former, then stippling the pistol may be a good solution.

I sweat like a whore in church so it's a possible solution or at least part of one. But yes it would be fun to do also.

C.Edwards
07-07-12, 09:26
I carry my stippled M&P45 and have no problems with catching on clothing. I wear an undershirt so the stippling doesnt rub against my skin

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/6FD07892-orig.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Looks good!

RagweedZulu
07-07-12, 21:11
Almost every one of my carry guns is stippled, either by me or the two done at Robar. Their work isnt rough at all, yet still helps greatly with getting a good grip.

The work I've done on mine starts out aggressive, but that's not very comfortable. I use some 200 grit sandpaper and manually knock down the stippling a bit. The grip remains 100% better than stock, but is still smooth enough not to grab clothing or abrade skin.

The comment above about stippling being for training guns is just dang silly. My Glocks will start rotating in my dry hands after only a round or two if I don't texture them up. I want a good grip when dragging that thing out of my waistband or holster in a SD situation. I don't need it sliding left and right as I acquire a sight picture.

The last benefit is that stippling makes the gun less interesting to others, reducing the chance that I'll ever think about selling one. :)

polymorpheous
07-07-12, 21:20
The comment above about stippling being for training guns is just dang silly. My Glocks will start rotating in my dry hands after only a round or two if I don't texture them up. I want a good grip when dragging that thing out of my waistband or holster in a SD situation. I don't need it sliding left and right as I acquire a sight picture.

To each their own.

But if you can't maintain a solid firing grip after just one round, I'd say stippling is a band-aid for poor fundamentals.

Guns-up.50
07-07-12, 21:41
To each their own.

But if you can't maintain a solid firing grip after just one round, I'd say stippling is a band-aid for poor fundamentals.

I dont disagree with most of this, but the implication that you will only need one round in the fight could be a poor error NOT on the side of caution.

polymorpheous
07-07-12, 21:44
You misunderstood my post.
Read the quote in my post.

Guns-up.50
07-07-12, 21:47
aaahhaaa
when you put it that way then +1
Sorry for the confusion

Snake Plissken
07-07-12, 22:48
To contribute to the thread:

Some people say that the Gen4 Glocks have too rough of a grip for CC...when I first got it, I thought the same. But I decided to give it a couple weeks to see if I'd get used to it, and come to find out, very rarely do I feel the grip at all.

Oh, and I CC here in TX where 99% of the time I'm in just a t-shirt with no undershirt.

Same here. T-shirt and light shorts almost always when I'm traveling around and my Gen4 G19 isn't noticeable against my side in an MTAC holster.

but once I get into a car with a bucket seat:cray:

Brimstone
07-08-12, 00:01
I train with my pistol for a worst case scenario and I carry what I train with. I wear an undershirt at all times and have never had issues with comfort or snagging.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/underlourd/Stip1-1.jpg

RogerinTPA
07-08-12, 02:58
I have three stippled M&P guns, two (9FS and 40FS) by Ben at Boresight Solutions, which are a medium grip texture, and my EDC 9c, that I stippled myself. I've used the 9c for training and EDC, with no issues what so ever, and have done so for many years. Living in FL, your hands get sweaty pretty easily in what ever you are doing. Simply walking down the street or walking around an outdoor event, can do it. Have that extra measure in ensuring a firm grip when drawing and shooting from retention, adds significantly to my peace of mind.

C.Edwards
07-08-12, 09:03
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will get it mapped out today and get started.

DocGKR
07-08-12, 12:30
I am currently qualified on the M&P45 and 9 mm Glock--all are either aggressively stippled or textured (ie. RTF2) and I have no problems carrying them 12-18 hours a day, every day.

http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/142745811358.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7655&filename=Glocks%20GFA.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7658&filename=G19%20RTF%20RMR.jpg

ccarrier
07-08-12, 14:53
i carry a glock with the RTF2 finish. its very close to a stippled feel.

at first it rubbed my side a bit , but now i hardly notice it.

it does catch my shirt some. but i open carry alot, so the it isnt much of an issue

RCI1911
07-09-12, 06:46
It is really harsh to carry my stippled M&P9c without wearing an under shirt. I usually where a tank top or Underarmor shirt; neither of which catch on the stippling, but I do this with all the guns I carry. Also, I have not had any issues with it hugging on the outer shirt either.

C.Edwards
07-09-12, 16:01
Got it done yesterday and carried IWB all day today ( most of day in car ) not bad. Will try to post up a pic later.

Moltke
07-09-12, 16:17
I carry a sharply stippled Glock 19 just about every day and it's never bothered me or torn up my clothes. I always wear an undershirt, carry the pistol in an OWB holster at the 2 oclock position, and use a light button down shirt as my cover garment. Only when it gets above 100 degrees do I consider switching it for something else.

C.Edwards
07-09-12, 16:19
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/martialartdeals/Guns%20and%20knives/P1140155.jpg
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/martialartdeals/Guns%20and%20knives/P1140156.jpg
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/martialartdeals/Guns%20and%20knives/P1140157.jpg

wesprt
07-10-12, 21:27

I guess you've never gotten sweaty in your life while carrying a pistol IWB? It climbs over 100 here before noon regularly, even with an undershirt the gun still gets covered in sweat. If you're carrying without an undershirt, the addition of body oils from your skin make it even worse. Full stippling on the frame helps with that. A lot. ;)

Every gun I carry gets the bejesus stippled out of it. The abrasiveness doesn't bother me, so there's no reason whatsoever to not do it.

polymorpheous
07-10-12, 21:51
I guess you've never gotten sweaty in your life while carrying a pistol IWB? It climbs over 100 here before noon regularly, even with an undershirt the gun still gets covered in sweat. If you're carrying without an undershirt, the addition of body oils from your skin make it even worse. Full stippling on the frame helps with that. A lot. ;)

Every gun I carry gets the bejesus stippled out of it. The abrasiveness doesn't bother me, so there's no reason whatsoever to not do it.

Already addressed a similar question.

tesseract
07-10-12, 23:23

If you have to use your gun in self defense, your hands may be already sweaty, wet, muddy, etc.

polymorpheous
07-11-12, 00:09
The concept is not lost on me.
I have a stippled G17.
I do not believe it is 100% nessecary.
This in MY opinion based on MY needs.
It is not wrong or right.
It works for me.

What if my EDC was a 1911?

It's hot and attire is light.
Maybe I carry a S&W 442.

Now as for an answer to all the what ifs...

How do you train for a defensive shooting in awkward positions, (lying on your belly, back, sitting in your car, etc.)

How about drawing from a holster when a 225 lb man is sitting on your chest?

If stippling works for you, great!
But don't think that a sure grip will be the only variable to overcome in a defensive situation. (besides, one should have the fundamentals of a sure grip down regardless of stippling or not.)

one
07-11-12, 00:36
What if my EDC was a 1911?

I used Simonich's Gunner grips on mine and the front and backstrap were checkered. Way coarser than the home stippling I've put on my Glocks. But still all the same basic concept.

Before the 1911 I stippled the frame of my Browning High Power with a set of stippling punches I bought from Brownells.

So, nothing changes.

RogerinTPA
07-11-12, 04:17
You just need the right holster. I highly recommend you look at the Minotaur MTAC from Comp-Tac.com. http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

I've carried my M&P9c with a stippled CT laser grip in one for years.

It is really harsh to carry my stippled M&P9c without wearing an under shirt. I usually where a tank top or Underarmor shirt; neither of which catch on the stippling, but I do this with all the guns I carry. Also, I have not had any issues with it hugging on the outer shirt either.

SteveL
07-11-12, 10:33
I stippled my M&P9c and carry it daily IWB in a Minotaur holster. I absolutely have to wear an undershirt with it. I haven't had any problems with it snagging on anything but it did wear a few small holes in a couple of good Polo shirts that I wear over it.

C.Edwards
07-11-12, 10:36
I think it's going to depend on the texture, holster, and carry position. So far after a whole couple of days it's pretty comfortable unless I bend over at the waist then it rubs a little.

DocGKR
07-11-12, 23:50
Similar to the comments by "one" above, the 1911's I carried for 25 years were generally even more sharply/aggressively textured than the polymer pistols I now carry:

http://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=527&stc=1&d=1327791007

Steve S.
07-12-12, 02:38
I guess you don't eat any fried chicken either? :p

"Hold on a second Mr. Bad Guy while I rub the chicken grease off my hands..." :rolleyes:

Sweat and blood are one thing, but fried chicken grease? Well, that's what we call a "force divider".

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-13-12, 16:20
My carry guns are stippled very aggressively and carried next to bare skin. No tears from me.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/CAM00099.jpg

cpoth
07-13-12, 17:50
I stippled my G19 and I do not mind carrying it at all, I did hit it with some sand paper in the beginning which helped ease it down a bit.

currahee
07-16-12, 20:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/permanent/DSC06494.jpg

I just did my first stipple job on my spare Glock 17. I will be carrying it for the next couple of weeks and taking it to the range a couple of times to see if I like it. If it works the carry G19 is next in the queue.

Wolf Spyder
07-17-12, 01:12
All of mine are aggressively "textured". Some times they rub the skin a little reddish, but it nothing to complain about. After a few years you get use to it. I have carried the "heavily used" 10mm Glock 20 (one on the left) everyday for more than 11 years or so IWB.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0404Editedsmaller.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/JW7E3188croppedsmall.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/JW7E3185croppedsmall.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/JW7E3183small.jpg

Even using a Clip Draw the "texturing" is not bad.

jumpthestack
08-28-12, 01:28
I'm right handed, and I stippled the grip on my M&P on the front strap, back strap, and right side of the grip, leaving the left side of the grip stock. That's the side that would be up against my skin. It's a good compromise between comfort and grip.

Kyle Defoor does the front strap and back strap but not the sides on his concealed carry gun.
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/02/grip-stippling.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0FCM60OG5g

hitman488
09-23-12, 14:38
Since I have started stippling, I've done my fullsize .40 M&P, a .40c and a 9c. I've also done my off-duty G26. Very satisfied with my decision to do a stippling job, to me a lot better than using grip tapes and slide over grips. The only very minor complaint is that the stippling always picks up the "Fluff" from off of your clothing, so you are always picking the "Lent balls" and fluff from off of the grip. Other than that minor no-issue, I'm very satisfied with my stippling that I've done to my carry pistols.:D

C.Edwards
09-23-12, 15:22
Love the dirty glock pictures above.

specopsscout
09-24-12, 00:00
I don't think it's dirty. It appears as though it was painted previously.

anubismp
09-24-12, 05:35
I stippled the front and back straps on my shield 40 leaving the sides factory to avoid any issues. I still have good traction but the smooth sides let me avoid any issues with rubbing or snagging.

jesuvuah
09-24-12, 06:00
i'd say go for it

Hemoglobin
09-24-12, 06:54
I would say go for it too. I stippled my 19 all the way around and carried it until I started carrying a p2000sk that I shaved the finger bump down on. With the stock magazines it sits in my hand just fine, but if I had to use flat mag bases I would have work done to it and wouldn't complain.

Wolf Spyder
09-24-12, 18:00
Love the dirty glock pictures above.

I don't think it's dirty. It appears as though it was painted previously.

Yup, several years ago it was spray painted... most of it has worn off.

Fire_Medic
09-24-12, 19:39
What I did on my G19 recently, and the way I have paid for stippling in the past, is rougher texture on the front and back straps and not so aggressive on the sides of the frame and up top where the webbing of my hand holds the gun.

I sanded doen the sides and top/rear portion after texturing the whole grip with very fine sand paper a little bit at a time until I got the desired effect.

I do prefer a rougher texture than most to begin with though from my experience.

You can do this yourself, or whomever you pay should easily be able to accommodate this request.

FM

SigFanM4
09-26-12, 10:57
The only time I carried a stippled gun, I was cursing and muttering under my breath the whole time. One part of the grip kept catching my skin each time I turned my body a certain way. I guess if you were an undershirt, if might be better, but I'm happy with regular grips overall, so I don't see a need to suffer for stippled grips.

hitman488
11-05-12, 17:55
I've stippled 4 of my hand guns, fullsize m&p .40, a .40c & 9c and a G26. I carry a G19 on duty, I have skateboard tape grips on it. I recently got tired of the grips on my G19 tearing up my sweat shirts from the tape being to tacky, I ended up removing the inside grip tape since I was constantly having to use a lent shaver or lent remover to remove the fuzz from my shirts every day. On the grips that I've stippled I don't have that issue, just the ocassional lent being stuck to the grips once in awhile. Being a cop you can pretty say, that I carry 24-7, 365 days a year. If I could stippled my duty gun I would do it in a heart beat, but my department does'nt allow any permanent type alterations to department owned equipment.:(

StrikerFired
11-05-12, 18:25

I agree with Joey here,

After all, he did the stipple jobs on my both my Game gun and my carry guns!