PDA

View Full Version : Mid grade reddot or holo question.

Lpcogan
07-06-12, 22:09
Hey guys I just bought my dad a smith and wesson m&p 15 sport for his birthday and was wondering what a good optic was for it. I have an EO tech on my ak and love it but I'm not wanting to spend another 500 for an optic being that I just dropped over 600 on the gun. I would like to get him an optic though and was wondering if y'all have had any luck with some the lower midgrade names.
Thanks

chilic82
07-06-12, 22:25
If u want a micro I would stay with Vortex Sparc or Primary Arms Micro Dot. I've owned them and not had any problems.The Sparc has a lifetime warranty, the controls are better on the PA micro dot. It's personal pref. really. Best deal right now is the Aimpoint Pro. I picked one of these up 3 days ago from Mounting Solutions for $360. I don't have any experience with Burris, Sightmark,NCStar, etc.It's really up to you. All three of those should serve him well. I've seen alot of older model 512,516 EOTechs in the EE for $300.

Failure2Stop
07-07-12, 20:11
Budget?

Lpcogan
07-07-12, 20:33
Well it's a gift for my dad. I don't really wanna go over 200 I already spent 700 on the gun so I don't wanna spend another 500 on an optic

fastfive0
07-07-12, 22:02
From my own personal usage, the best red dot under $300 is the vortex strikefire. Can be had for $125-$150. Holds zero no problem and has lasted me thousands of rounds on two different AR's. Lifetime no questions asked warranty isn't too shabby either.

NCMedic
07-08-12, 08:49
Vortex SPARC.... No problems with it.... The mount that it comes with is not QD, if that bothers you you can swap it out with a Aimpoint one, they are interchangeable.

Sent from this... Using that...

wahoo95
07-08-12, 09:16
PA Micro on ADM mount

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ArmedPete
07-16-12, 20:27
PA Micro on ADM mount

Yep, primary arms MD06 and ADM mount combo from MI is a great deal.

Fetep
07-16-12, 20:32
PA Micro on ADM mount

My wife runs this on her rifle. Nice package! Under 200 for the dot, and the ADM mount.

Fetep

Caduceus
07-17-12, 07:55
From my own personal usage, the best red dot under $300 is the vortex strikefire. Can be had for $125-$150. Holds zero no problem and has lasted me thousands of rounds on two different AR's. Lifetime no questions asked warranty isn't too shabby either.

If it matters to you, I believe Vortex is made in Wisconsin, while Primary Arms (their name-brand items) is made in China.

That being said, as a vendor, Primary Arms has a great reputiation in cyber space. They typically are willing to answer questions and help you find your needs. Also have great customer service if you have problems. Plus, they sell Vortex (and several other brands) through their website.

SomeOtherGuy
07-17-12, 15:42
If it matters to you, I believe Vortex is made in Wisconsin, while Primary Arms (their name-brand items) is made in China.

The Vortex red dots are made in China. Their conventional scopes are mostly made in China or the Philippines, although some of the higher end models may be made in Japan. The company is headquartered in Wisconsin but like many newer companies it is primarily a product design and marketing outfit, with most or all production outsourced.

ETA: the Vortex Strikefire is a good RDS for noncritical uses. I own two and I thought they were really good until I got used to Aimpoints. They are still very decent. IMHO the best lower priced RDS is the Ultradot, but they require use of conventional mounting rings (I suggest Warne) and once you add decent rings are well over $200, getting closer and closer to the price of an Aimpoint PRO which is definitely a step up. The Ultradot is made in Japan and has a higher quality feel than any Chinese-made RDS I've handled, plus the crispest dot I've seen - I think the dot is better focused than in my Aimpoints (ML3, ML2, PRO, H1) but the Aimpoints are ahead in all other ways.