PDA

View Full Version : CMT side sling swivel out of spec?

sinlessorrow
07-06-12, 22:11
hey guys have yall heard of the CMT side sling swivels being out of spec?

I purchased one recently for my BCM rifle and no amount of hammering or anything will make it fit?

i have even used vice grips to try and squeeze it together but I honestly think its to small for a .750 barrel.

ok took some measurements, this is not the mine but is similar, I am getting .735 as showed in the pic, is this correct?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/sideslingep3.jpg

redhands
07-07-12, 00:19
Out of spec is possible but without pulling one for comparison that looks identical to the Colts and CMTs that I have seen in the past.
I would slip the pin in and see if it would slide over a 3/4 inch rod, heuristically speaking, before throwing it out. It may be hanging up on the barrel.

sinlessorrow
07-07-12, 00:28
Out of spec is possible but without pulling one for comparison that looks identical to the Colts and CMTs that I have seen in the past.
I would slip the pin in and see if it would slide over a 3/4 inch rod, heuristically speaking, before throwing it out. It may be hanging up on the barrel.

thanks I had not thought to try that, so I grabbed a 3/4 inch rod from my garage and checked and no dice.

It has to be out of spec then, I sent an email to the seller to see what we can do. I'll keep yall updated

sinlessorrow
07-09-12, 09:17
Update: i contacted the vendor and they said it is in spec so ill try some more today to get it on there and update again

TomMcC
07-09-12, 10:36
The ones I have did have some spring to them. They did require a bit of pushing to get them on. .015 smaller would allow a snug but moveable fit.

C4IGrant
07-09-12, 11:20
By looking at the pic, the rear plate is too close in (so you are not getting an accurate measurement that way (FYI).

Having installed tons of these, it is nearly impossible to install one onto an assembled barrel without a roll pin starter (as they were generally meant to be installed at the same time as the FSB).

C4

sinlessorrow
07-09-12, 12:00
By looking at the pic, the rear plate is too close in (so you are not getting an accurate measurement that way (FYI).

Having installed tons of these, it is nearly impossible to install one onto an assembled barrel without a roll pin starter (as they were generally meant to be installed at the same time as the FSB).

C4

Good idea on the roll pin starter, i had not thought about that. Ill see if i can find one and purhase it.

sinlessorrow
07-09-12, 16:07
ok an update, I took grants Idea and while I didnt have a starter punch, I did have ducktape.

so i taped the roll pin to my punch, and used a wrench held by my thighs and hammered the crap out of it and actually got it to fit, its incredibly tight, but it also doesnt easily move.

this is good cause it should keep wear on the barrel to a minimum. thanks everyone for the help.

Redhat
07-09-12, 18:39
Use any oil?

sinlessorrow
07-09-12, 22:43
Use any oil?

i sure did but after taping the roll pin and the punch together it went together smoothly, thanks Grant for the idea.