PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Remington 870 MOE Forend Review

plouffedaddy
07-07-12, 13:44
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1252.jpg

When I did the 'how-to' video for installing this forend, I said I do a review of it after testing it in the field (if you will...) and here it is.

Pros:
-Cost (I paid $25)
-Ease of installation (see previous video)
-Modularity (accepts rails and all the accessories that accompany them)
-Solid lock up (very little to no play at all)
-Design allows easy manipulation of the action, more so than the OEM forend
-Appearance (just plain looks good on the shotgun)

Cons:
-Creates wear marks on the barrel/mag tube.

Here's the review video:

Forend Review Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gr5ettWPs&feature=g-upl)

All in all, I love this forend. It's one of those products that makes you say, "Why didn't anyone make this before?" I just ordered a few more to replace the forend on all of my 870s.

Dragk913
07-14-12, 13:03
Thanks for the review. I've been eying the MagPul 870 accessories for a while, I'll have to pick them up.

DevilDog0402
07-18-12, 17:00
I'm hoping they start making these for the Mossberg 500...

plouffedaddy
07-19-12, 09:49
The Magpul reps have confirmed the Mossberg models are in R&D currently so they should pop up one of these days.

Fiiyablade
07-27-12, 19:57
man that looks sick! they're but stock looks even better with it

TOM1911
07-27-12, 20:02
I had the same issue of wear on the barrel... Came from molding flash inside the barrel channel of the forend. Just a bit of judicious trimming took care of it..

lunchbox
07-27-12, 20:08
man that looks sick! they're but stock looks even better with itGotta say not a big fan of the stocks, they look like some indian club. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstock_war_club VS http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG460/

SPQR476
07-27-12, 23:50
If you run one, it won't look so bad anymore.

DIRTMAN556
07-28-12, 00:31
Thanks for the video review.

Hmm, its true once you begin to stipple stuff, it doesn't stop. I wonder if strippling would help with the grip some.

Dave Berryhill
07-28-12, 11:17
Nice review! I've been wanting to try both the butt stock and the fore end. I don't usually like pistol grips on shotguns but the Magpul stock has an interesting shape.

What is the Pic rail made from and is it solidly mounted to the fore end? With the recoil that a shotgun has, I'm curious if your light mount stays tight or if it shoots loose.

bradb55
07-28-12, 18:08
Great review! I've been a little standoffish. I really like the houge forend. But it does give another light mounting options which I like. I still want to handle one before I pick be up, but I'm opening up to them.

plouffedaddy
07-29-12, 13:31
Nice review! I've been wanting to try both the butt stock and the fore end. I don't usually like pistol grips on shotguns but the Magpul stock has an interesting shape.

What is the Pic rail made from and is it solidly mounted to the fore end? With the recoil that a shotgun has, I'm curious if your light mount stays tight or if it shoots loose.

Thank you.

The rail is the same rails that their AR handguards use so it's polymer. It locks up extremely tight---I have no doubt it's not going anywhere. The flashlight mount (KZ) came a little loose after about 100 rounds of #1 buck but I put some blue locktite on it and it hasn't budged since.

kmrtnsn
07-29-12, 19:28
I put one of these on my wife's 870, along with the MOE light kit to attached a M3X light on the right side, with the pressure pad behind the light. So far, so good.

I like the feel of it, especially the built in hand stops. I am hoping that Magpul develops a split version, that will mount on a Bennelli M4, as the Bennelli fore-end attaches to the shotgun in the same manner that the MOE carbine hand-guard attaches to a M-4 carbine. The Bennelli needs a method to mount a light without using inches of unneeded P-rail. Speaking of lights, especially polymer lights, why isn't there a Magpul MOE light? I picture something attaching to the Moe handguards, looking like the Surefure 618, Hint, hint, hint!!!!!

plouffedaddy
07-30-12, 08:45
I put one of these on my wife's 870, along with the MOE light kit to attached a M3X light on the right side, with the pressure pad behind the light. So far, so good.

I like the feel of it, especially the built in hand stops. I am hoping that Magpul develops a split version, that will mount on a Bennelli M4, as the Bennelli fore-end attaches to the shotgun in the same manner that the MOE carbine hand-guard attaches to a M-4 carbine. The Bennelli needs a method to mount a light without using inches of unneeded P-rail. Speaking of lights, especially polymer lights, why isn't there a Magpul MOE light? I picture something attaching to the Moe handguards, looking like the Surefure 618, Hint, hint, hint!!!!!

That is a great idea... I really hope the Magpul guys are listening!

Dave Berryhill
07-30-12, 15:09
What about attaching a sling to the front of the gun? It looks like the fore end covers the mag tube cap when the gun is in battery. Is there any other way to hang a sling on the front end other than using a barrel clamp like the one in your photo?

plouffedaddy
07-30-12, 17:19
What about attaching a sling to the front of the gun? It looks like the fore end covers the mag tube cap when the gun is in battery. Is there any other way to hang a sling on the front end other than using a barrel clamp like the one in your photo?

You could just put a MOE rail and sling attachment on the forend itself. Any of the slots will accept MOE rails.

.45's and .38's
08-09-12, 12:36
great forend, hope they make one for the mossy,winchester soon, magpul makes great stuff, love the feel of those handguards