PDA

View Full Version : Glock trigger connector: "tuning" (bending) OK?

DreadPirateMoyer
07-08-12, 01:59
I recently purchased a Glock OEM minus connector to install in my G17, but upon installation, it stuck out way too far from the trigger housing (I could easily fit 2 quarters between it and the housing). This caused some noticeable dragging on the trigger bar as it rubbed against the inner part of the pistol frame.

To solve the problem, I "tuned" the connector by bending it back towards the housing. However, I bent it slightly too far and the connector was flush with the housing upon reinstallation -- a big no-no for Glocks. A few more bends got it perfect: sticking out from the trigger housing just enough to fit a piece of paper behind the connector. On final installation, the dragging from before was gone, the connector firmly held the trigger bar in place, and trigger reset was perfect. Overall, about 5 bends were performed, and each only moved the connector a few millimeters at max.

My question for you guys: is what I did OK?

I understand people heavily advise against bending Glock trigger connectors, but I think all the warnings I've seen against bending are in regards to messing up the operation of the pistol, which I'm not worried about at all. I'm confident in my abilities, technical knowledge, and in the function of the pistol. What I'm concerned about now is the material strength of the connector. Is this why people advise against bending them? Because the adjustments may fatigue the metal and make it weaker, leading to failure in the future?

To be honest, the connector is still stiff as crap, and the operation of the pistol is perfect. I'm just worried about the long-term, because if I did screw up the metal, I don't want it failing on me if I finally have to use it in self defense.

I feel like it's not a big deal, as it resembles tuning a 1911 extractor: slight and progressive bends until the tension is exactly what you need. But hey, I'm not exactly sure why people advise against bending connectors (the warnings never seem to come with explanations), so I thought I'd ask!

AR15barrels
07-08-12, 11:32
I understand people heavily advise against bending Glock trigger connectors, but I think all the warnings I've seen against bending are in regards to messing up the operation of the pistol, which I'm not worried about at all. I'm confident in my abilities, technical knowledge, and in the function of the pistol. What I'm concerned about now is the material strength of the connector. Is this why people advise against bending them? Because the adjustments may fatigue the metal and make it weaker, leading to failure in the future?

To be honest, the connector is still stiff as crap, and the operation of the pistol is perfect.

if its working properly, it's probably fine.
Just watch out over time that it keeps running properly.

I would bet that lots of people have straightened out their connectors because they did not know that they were supposed to stick out and ride that cam in the slide.
That's why there are all the warnings.
If you understand what's happening in there, you are ahead of the curve...

DocDorle
07-08-12, 12:54
It needs to stick out some. I remember reading that it should be about the thickness of a matchbook cover.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-08-12, 17:15
Yeah, that's exactly where it's at now. I can fit a piece of paper or a thin piece of cardboard (matchbook, ammo box) behind the connector. Before, 2 quarters could easily fit back there. In terms of function, I think I'm good now. It holds the trigger bar as it should until the cam in the slide shoved it out of the way.

I guess I'm fine, then. Good to know!

davidz71
07-08-12, 22:08
When I went through theGlock Armorers school, they said it should have a slight drag on a sheet of notebook paper.

SWATcop556
07-08-12, 22:24
Did you buy from a dealer or an individual? If from a dealer send it back. If from an individual then you're out of luck as you admitted to bending it. I would have sent it back.

It will probably be fine but unless you really know what you're doing (even with a Glock) you can dick it up.

Just food for thought.