PDA

View Full Version : Deals on 123 batteries?

highlighter
07-08-12, 19:26
Where do you buy them? Online, local store? Do you insist on Surefire brand?

Grizzly16
07-08-12, 19:30
I use the cheapest I can find on amazon. Haven't noticed any difference between them and name brands. Especially for the price difference.

J_Dub_503
07-08-12, 19:40
I use batteryjunction for all my needs.

Ironworker46
07-08-12, 19:41
I buy all of mine at Grand Prairie Knives. They carry real Surefire batteries. Check them out at www.gpknives.com. They are a small family owned business, which is another plus.

cbarker777
07-08-12, 19:48
be careful using the cheapest you can find there is a cheap brand from china which when it gets warm it blows up. I read a safety bulletin on it. I just which I could remember where so I could share the whole thing.

J_Dub_503
07-08-12, 19:55
be careful using the cheapest you can find there is a cheap brand from china which when it gets warm it blows up. I read a safety bulletin on it. I just which I could remember where so I could share the whole thing.

Anything with fire in it's name is a no-go (obviously excluding Surefire.) Mixing brands or old batteries with new one's is also not advised. Tennergy & Titanium Innovations are GTG in my experience.

Ouroborous
07-08-12, 20:15
FYI, Low speed-high drag has a case of 72 for sale in lights & lasers E&E for $100 shipped.

ST911
07-08-12, 20:35
I buy and allow only the Surefire branded 123s in lights under my control. Recommended in all others.

There are a few others out there that are okay, but it's so easy to just get known-good SF and not worry about it.

mdoan300
07-08-12, 21:03
I spent my afternoon researching CR123 today. What I got out of that:

1. Surefire and Streamlight are good, tier 1 so to speak
2. I can't find a conclusive answer on who manufacturers Surefire batteries;
3. Rayovac is a good alternative, tier 2 so to speak;
4. There are a couple of made in China alternatives that are decent (but I wouldn't risk it);

Having said that, I switched from ordering a 12-pack of Surefire for $25 on Amazon Prime to a 10-pack of Rayovac for $18 on Amazon Prime at the last minute.

Here are some threads on the subject:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?67078-123-Battery-Shoot-Out

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?233961-Quick-CR123A-and-AA-Battery-Shoot-out-Comparison

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?235213-CR123A-Comparison-Review-4Sevens-Titanium-Innovations-Tenergy-Surefire-Duracell

glocktogo
07-08-12, 21:19
I usually buy mine at batteryjunction.com. I use Panasonic quite a bit, which my research showed was also a Tier 1 brand and they have them pretty cheap. I use an inexpensive battery tester to voltage match my pairs, even the new ones. Mismatched voltages will increase heat and the likelihood of failure in 6v & 9v systems. It's cheap insurance to check them before use.

highlighter
07-08-12, 21:42
O.k. guys can someone tell me what the difference is between CR123, 123, and 123A batteries are if any? Are they all the same?

bzdog
07-08-12, 22:15
Yah, these should all be the same. I think 123A is the official designation, which I think stands for 1 2/3 A (as in one and two thirds "A" size cell), written 123A. Manufacturers often create their own model numbers so ou see stuff like DL123A, EL123A, etc.

Note which battery is "best" somewhat depends on you application. If you look at the graphs on CPF, you'll see the often measure them under a 1A draw and a .5A draw. The 1A draw is more predictive of the performance of high power lights. Some batteries do fine at .5, but don't hold up well under 1A.

So.. for low output lights, often "house" brands are OK. For bet-your-life use on high powered lights, I tend to stick with Surefire, Steamlight followed by Sanyo, Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic. Better yet, get a light made to work with 2x123A or 18650 lithium ion rechargables and use the latter (another topic). Also besides performance, you should factor in reliability.

I've ordered from Battery Station, Battery Junction, Bright Guy, Lighthound, Surefire all without problem.

For the best price, always buy over the internet in bulk. Also note these batteries have a ten year shelf life, so beware of those (esp. private sales) that might have half or more of their shelf life used. Most brands will be marked so when in doubt, ask.

Also be aware lithium batteries should be treated with respect. If you damage a cell or have a malfunction where the cell smokes, do not breath the smoke as it is very toxic. Do not use mismatched pairs. Take care not to accidentially short litium cells.

Candlepowerforums (CPF) is a good resource for research.

-john

cdmiller
07-10-12, 00:16
I remember reading a quote from Surefire a while back to the effect that they "worked with Duracell to develop batteries" to Surefire's specs. Who knows if Duracell still makes them, however.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-12, 14:19
I buy and allow only the Surefire branded 123s in lights under my control.

This. I find most name-brand CR123's Duracell/Energizer are more expensive than SF.

PSA just had a sale on SF 12 count boxes for $14.99. Needless to say they sold out, I stocked up.

highlighter
07-10-12, 21:08
This. I find most name-brand CR123's Duracell/Energizer are more expensive than SF.

PSA just had a sale on SF 12 count boxes for $14.99. Needless to say they sold out, I stocked up.

That's a good deal! Who/what is PSA?

Quiet-Matt
07-10-12, 21:38
If you just need a few Lowes has surefire brand for a descent price.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-12, 21:40
Who/what is PSA?

Palmetto State Armory (http://palmettostatearmory.com/)

highlighter
07-10-12, 22:12
Palmetto State Armory (http://palmettostatearmory.com/)

Thanks.

Mak8080
07-12-12, 18:10
Just hit up Battery Junction or Battery Station. Buy bulk and try to use a coupon when you get a chance.

obucina
07-12-12, 21:19
SKDTac.com has 123 Surefire batteries for $1.78 each. Their shipping is cheap and uber fast.

Kain
07-12-12, 22:07
SKDTac.com has 123 Surefire batteries for $1.78 each. Their shipping is cheap and uber fast.

This.
Been picking up a handful each time I order from them along with a Pmag or three. Gets my stockpile nice and quicker then one would think, its also a good way to get your order to the now magical $69 and free shipping. Now I just need a couple more lights for all of the batteries.

Frailer
07-12-12, 22:30
This probably won't help anyone else, but who knows?

I get mine for free from my school district's nurse.

Each year she has to change out all of the 70 or so CR123 batteries in the schools' AEDs, and instead of discarding the old ones she gives them to me. I have no idea how much "life" they lose during the year they spend sitting in dormant AEDs, but it can't be much, as I've not noticed any difference in lifespan compared with new ones.

ST911
07-12-12, 22:54
This probably won't help anyone else, but who knows? I get mine for free from my school district's nurse.

Each year she has to change out all of the 70 or so CR123 batteries in the schools' AEDs, and instead of discarding the old ones she gives them to me. I have no idea how much "life" they lose during the year they spend sitting in dormant AEDs, but it can't be much, as I've not noticed any difference in lifespan compared with new ones.

Make sure that you're using batteries of very similar remaining charge to avoid issues. Get a battery tester to verify.

m1a_scoutguy
07-12-12, 23:15
Who would think it,,but check Lowe's,,,,I bought some Surfire 123 there over the Winter and they were "considerably" less than the Duracell/Energizer Brand,,even less than Wally World !!! I can't remember now,,but I will check the price on Friday,,gotta run out to the Local one !! I'm sure ya can find them online for less,,,but figure in shipping & ya mite be ahead of the game,,,,worth a look !! :D

CodeRed30
07-13-12, 21:26
Haha, now I wanna run to Lowe's on a battery hunt for my Friday night!

whick1
07-14-12, 06:59
Who would think it,,but check Lowe's,,,,I bought some Surfire 123 there over the Winter and they were "considerably" less than the Duracell/Energizer Brand,,even less than Wally World !!! I can't remember now,,but I will check the price on Friday,,gotta run out to the Local one !! I'm sure ya can find them online for less,,,but figure in shipping & ya mite be ahead of the game,,,,worth a look !! :D

This is where I get mine. I got the last packs I bought for less $3.97 plus tax which came out to $4.21. Local Wal Mart wants $9.87 for Rayovac and when they sold the Energizer which they don't anymore they were $10.97 so that Lowe's price is hard to beat. Also picked up a Surefire 6P that they had on clearance for $44.99 I couldn't pass on that deal they were normally $89.99 and were 50% off I wish they would have had more. I immediately mounted it to my Remington 870.