PDA

View Full Version : What eye pro do you have?

Endur
07-08-12, 21:06
Figured I would make a what eye pro do you have thread as there is one for pretty much everything else. So list them, show them off, tell why you prefer the ones you have.

I use oakley m frames with sweep lenses. Love these things, my set has been through two deployments and still going strong. Not only are they ballistic so gtg for the range or duty but they also look good.

http://www.thecyclepeople.com/products/oakley-m-frame-sweep-glasses.jpg

andy t
07-08-12, 22:17
ESS ICE. Fairly inexpensive have 2 complete sets (clear and dark) in one case.

J-Dub
07-08-12, 23:22
About to order some prescription Oakley Flak Jackets (clear lenses) for duty use so i dont jack up my reg. glasses.

Failure2Stop
07-09-12, 00:21
I've been using M-Frames (of the ballistic 2.0 variety) for a while.
They fit under ear pro/comms much better than the frames in the picture above.

I recently went to the flat ear piece Flak Jackets (meant to get the new Half Jacket 2.0s, but Oakley has been out of them for a while), and I like them more than the M Frames so far. Time will tell.
Oakley's lense color selection is really good, and are (relatively) easy to acquire, it's proabably the reason I have stayed with them for so long.

ETA: one reason I like them is that they transition from ballistic eye protection to driving/regular sunglasses without looking like I hopped off the cover of Poser Weekly.

ETA 2: Rudy Project glasses are also really nice, I just haven't picked up a pair yet.

SMETNA
07-09-12, 01:18
I've had the same pair of Revision Hellfly ballistic sunglasses for over 3 years now. The plastic frame is pretty beat to shit but surprisingly the lenses are very hard to scratch. I love them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair or suggest them.

I dont currently shoot at night, so the Hellflys double as shooting glasses. But I want to keep a dedicated pair of eye pro in my range bag, so soon I'll pick up some clear Sawfly glasses (for low-light)

Revision is an advertiser here, so I cant help but brown my nose a little: Bravo Gentlemen! :D

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-12, 03:59
Oakley ballestic array (M-Frames).

munch520
07-09-12, 06:42
Agree with Smetna. I have Revision Vipertails and they are durable as hell, comfortable, and stay put.

And half the price of Oakleys.

Endur
07-09-12, 06:45
I've been using M-Frames (of the ballistic 2.0 variety) for a while.
They fit under ear pro/comms much better than the frames in the picture above.

I recently went to the flat ear piece Flak Jackets (meant to get the new Half Jacket 2.0s, but Oakley has been out of them for a while), and I like them more than the M Frames so far. Time will tell.
Oakley's lense color selection is really good, and are (relatively) easy to acquire, it's proabably the reason I have stayed with them for so long.

ETA: one reason I like them is that they transition from ballistic eye protection to driving/regular sunglasses without looking like I hopped off the cover of Poser Weekly.

ETA 2: Rudy Project glasses are also really nice, I just haven't picked up a pair yet.

I have both style of frames, one I bought and the 'ballistic' flat frames I got issued.

I also like arnettes, they make some nice sunglasses but I don't believe they are ballistic.

Kchen986
07-09-12, 09:10
I like ESS Ice. Low profile. Fit over my glasses and under my earpro well.

BrigandTwoFour
07-09-12, 09:31
Revision Sawfly that I picked up at the BX a while back. They seem nice enough, but I've been in the market for something else for a while.

I also have a set of Wiley X something or others, I use those as loaners.

CarlosDJackal
07-09-12, 13:44
Another user of the Revision Sawfly in OD Green that comes with the retainers.

I usually use clear lenses because I also shoot at night. I used to shoot with tinted lenses but I've been in a situation when trying to engage a target that was in the shadow of a tree, clouds covered up the sunlight causing me to loose sight of the target.

Before that I was using Oakley M Frames and Wiley-X (Talons, I think). I lost a rubber ear piece for the Wiley X at the range on Fort Dix and lost the nose pad for my Oakleys at the range at MCB Quantico.

I prefer the integral nose piece of the Sawfly and it has been going strong even though I have been using it in all sorts of conditions for about 3-years now. I did finally replace the scratched up lenses just last month.

C4IGrant
07-09-12, 14:00
Rudy Project. Have owned all the others and find them the best (especially since they gurantee that if you scratch their lenses, they will replace them)!

C4

Moltke
07-09-12, 15:57
Recently I've just been using regular aviator style sunglasses. Ideally I want aviator style shooting glasses but haven't found anything.

TAZ
07-09-12, 17:23
Recently I've just been using regular aviator style sunglasses. Ideally I want aviator style shooting glasses but haven't found anything.

Not sure what kind of aviators you are using, but if they are just plane ole sunglasses your going to be in a world of hurt should you have an accident while shooting. Eye protection for shooting needs to be rated for such. He careful with your eyes.

I've used Rudy and Oakley. Went back to Oakley after having lost my Rydons simply cause of accessibility. Finding an Oakley dealer is about as easy as picking up a rock and chunking it in any direction. Not the same for Rudy. My next set is going to be the Crossbow Suppressors with a Rx insert so I can ditch the contacts at the range. Too damn dusty out there. Just can't seem to justify the prices for Rudy or Oakley Rx work these days.

Endur
07-09-12, 17:44
Rudy Project. Have owned all the others and find them the best (especially since they gurantee that if you scratch their lenses, they will replace them)!

C4

I have never heard of those, I will have to check them out.

SMETNA
07-09-12, 19:29

http://www.revisionmilitary.com/product/alphawing/

Endur
07-09-12, 20:10
I looked up rudy, I am liking these. Noyz.

http://www.e-rudy.com/images/products/SP041006_detail.jpg

ForTehNguyen
07-09-12, 21:18
I have prescription sunglasses Oakley Bottlerocket 2.0

theblackknight
07-09-12, 21:29
Rudy gives a lot to the action shooting sports, but thier "shooting" glasses w 5 lenses are like 280$, plus they have a strangly large number of discount codes floating around for 40% and up sometimes. Seems like they should just price them at the real price in the first place.

I wear Hjacket XLJs. 60$ and extra lenses are 22 thru USSI. They stay on my face when mtbing and don't look all tactical timmy edc man. I super glue any nose piece on any eye pro.

Remember, friends don't let friends wear white framed oakleys.

Sent from Newt's spacebase using aliens.

theblackknight
07-09-12, 21:34

Dude search midway for shooting glasses. They have them. Aviator style was all the rage with 80s ispc guys.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Endur
07-09-12, 21:34
Rudy gives a lot to the action shooting sports, but thier "shooting" glasses w 5 lenses are like 280$, plus they have a strangly large number of discount codes floating around for 40% and up sometimes. Seems like they should just price them at the real price in the first place.

I wear Hjacket XLJs. 60$ and extra lenses are 22 thru USSI. They stay on my face when mtbing and don't look all tactical timmy edc man. I super glue any nose piece on any eye pro.

Remember, friends don't let friends wear white framed oakleys.

Sent from Newt's spacebase using aliens.

White framed glasses period=tool. :dirol:

Urabus23
07-09-12, 23:31
I've been using my Rudy Project Noyz for a few years now. I also have a set of clear and red lenses for outdoor and indoor shooting.

Ned Christiansen
07-10-12, 10:54
Full discosure on two things first:
1. The owner of the place I'm going to mention is a pal of mine.
2. I have a real problem with what some outfits are charging for their stuff-- they get outrageous money because the market will bear it.

Now, my friend's place sells those brands. As I understand it, a few years ago he was the largest distributor of brand "O" or brand "W", I don't remember which.

I have not studied this whole thing as deeply as I'd like, but I am told that the latest Z rating also includes, besides impact resistance, an optical clarity standard.

This makes paying $220, $140, or even $50 for eyepro even less appealing to me. I've done that before and lost them, broken them, and had them fall apart.

BTW I do notice how my post is kinda sounding like those "my $550 AR15 is as good as any Colt" threads.:cray:

I've had Arnettes-- loved them for the style. I dig the retro super-wide temples which also give side protection. I've had Hovens too and they were great. A couple years ago I got into 7Eye. Same kinds of styles. In researching to do an article on this, the mfg. told me they are fashion glasses and not safety glasses but some models at least would pass Z rating.

Now, to my friend's place. It's not a store although they have a retail desk-- a little corner of the warehouse for walk-in local business. But what it really is, is a large mail-order outfit. They carry other safety gear besides glasses-- Peltors for example (not the whole line I think), gloves, that kind of thing.

It is safetyglassesusa.com. Right now I'm using these:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf51.html --coffee colored lenses which I have long preferred as they kinda up the color contrast on everything; side protection; comfy and light; Z87+ rated, and....... under $6.

Bonus points for NOT being made in China-- I made sure of that before I bought them. Taiwan.

Oh yeah, and they have bifocals!

I bought two in coffee and two in clear.

Are they as good as $200 glasses in every way? Maybe not, but damned close enough for me. Lose them, loan them, break them, pain-free!

Mike's place also has a ton of more fashionable glasses that are Z-rated and not $140. I sifted through some of what he has and found the retro styles I like (the ones that say, whatever I may actually be doing, in my mind I'm breezin' down a deserted highway in my '64 Lincoln with the top down, with a nice set of fishnet stockings in the passenger seat), all Z-rated with side protection and all priced right:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/11213.html
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/st5115dt.html

Both under $10.

I met Mike through a mutual friend; they knew each other in the Marine Corps.

lifebreath
07-10-12, 12:38
ESS CDI with interchangable prescription lenses in clear and smokey topaz. Excellent eye wear.

Redhat
07-10-12, 12:47
Issued stuff:

ESS ICE
Wiley X SG1
Revision Sawfly

Ned, Thanks for the link, I'll be shopping there next time.

wahoo95
07-10-12, 12:54
Radians Clay Pro shooting glasses. I like the frameless design since framed glasses tend to interfere with my view

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-12, 12:55
Oakleys (https://secure.usstandardissue.com/) are available to EMT/LEO/MIL at a discount rate once credentials are verified.

Edit: to add ESS has discounts through USSI as well.

a1fabweld
07-11-12, 21:00
After many years of losing or damaging expensive sunglasses, I now wear "Jackson Hellraiser" safety glasses for use as sun glasses. I buy them by the case from my local welding supply house for about $5 each. When they get scratched I throw them out without feeling guilty & grab another pair.

http://www.safetyglassestoday.com/jackson-hellraiser-safety-glasses.html

Kokopelli
07-16-12, 21:22
I just ordered a four pak of ESS ICE glasses and the RX insert. $95 shipped is not to shabby.. Post cataract surgery now and I have to have something.. I just don't feel comfortable using my daily wear's to shoot now.. Ron