PDA

View Full Version : Interesting dissertation (PDF). Jorma Jussila 2004: Wound ballistic simulation

wee
07-09-12, 12:12
Hello guys,

I think many of you guys here might be interested from the following PDF file.

It's a dissertation from Helsinki University, made by Finnish wound ballistics researcher and technician Jorma Jussila in 2004.

Take a look at it and copy the PDF if you like. I think many of you haven't seen it before.

http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/laa/kliin/vk/jussila/woundbal.pdf

Failure2Stop
07-09-12, 14:45
Please provide the points that you feel are worth discussing here to prevent members from having to link offsite.

ETA. just read it until I got bored.
I see nothing there that hasn't already been covered by more esteemed and well written doctors in the US.

Zhukov
07-09-12, 14:59
That paper has been around for a while. It starts out pretty good, but then comes up with this weird mumbo-jumbo energy dump calculation (if I remember correctly) that takes it back out of the realm of good research.

wee
07-09-12, 17:52
That paper has been around for a while. It starts out pretty good, but then comes up with this weird mumbo-jumbo energy dump calculation (if I remember correctly) that takes it back out of the realm of good research.

Thanks for the reply Zhukov.

Interesting opinnion you have, and I trust it. No reason for a doubt.

Let me add that the subject, wound ballistics is fairly unknown even to the so called experts / professionals here where I live.

BufordTJustice
07-09-12, 22:49

Yeah, I have read it before. As soon as I start reading some mess about 'energy dump', I start to space the **** out....just like when a hippy uses the phrase "military industrial complex". ;)

Zhukov
07-11-12, 17:24
Thanks for the reply Zhukov.

Interesting opinnion you have, and I trust it. No reason for a doubt.

Let me add that the subject, wound ballistics is fairly unknown even to the so called experts / professionals here where I live.

Thanks for the praise, but read it for yourself. Just make sure that you understand where the good and bad points are - I could be lying to you after all. ;)

Actually - the paper is pretty good overall and has a lot of background information. Looking through it quickly, I would say that the sections talking about "tissue devitalization" and chapter 10.5 in particular are, well, not so good. Maybe read some other background information so you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.