PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense V1 or V5

HBCgun
07-09-12, 23:35
Which is better to buy a Daniel Defense V1 or V5. What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks

KCBRUIN
07-10-12, 00:08
Depends on your end purpose on which is better. They're equal quality. The v1 is a carbine with fixed front sight, the v5 is a mid length, and it can come with sights or without.

Split66
07-10-12, 01:05
Both great weapons..... in fact each rifle doesnt have much in the "con" category unless you want to count for "I cant afford both"....... What gas system do you want, what rail system do you want? Buy either with confidence.

TehLlama
07-10-12, 01:52
If you don't have a precise use in mind, V5LW is the preferred answer as long as cost is comparable.

OmegaX Rifle length rail, a lighter barrel (still CHF) and a middy, and you have your choice of sights (mine wears MBUS now, though I though I'd use DD Fixed sights), so flexibility the V5 wins, and lightweight is preferred if you're not going to be running much match ammo through it.

I'd snag the V5 upper, and then find a lower that you can put a QD swivel stock (CTR, STR, ACS-L, IMOD, EMOD, or Gen2 SOPMOD) and use those two sling points, then start thinking about the optic and weaponlight configuration you want... at least that's the route I went with mine.

JR TACTICAL
07-10-12, 02:15
I own bolth and I have been using the V1 a little more than the V5 lately, I have no other reason other than I just got the V1 and I am trying it out for a while.

As far as the V5 goes, the middy is nice, it has a little softer recoil pulse than the carbine on the V1, its also nice because if you are running irons on it like me it gives you a rifle length sight picture so accuracy is better as longer distances. Other than that there is really no way for me to say one is better than the other.

I do like the fixed FSB on the V1, I am running an EOTech on mine and its nice to have the constant co-witness with the A 1.5 rear sight, I dont have to worry about using flip up sights. Its also nice because there seems to be a little more parts around for the carbine length style rifles. Ever sence middys have taken off its damn near impossible to find any mid lenght gas tubes in stock anywhere(not that you would ever need one) and I am just one of those types that likes to have some spare parts lying around for my rifles.

All in all they are bolth solid rifles and you will be happy with either. Just figure out which will best serve you and pull the trigger...no pun intended:p

Good luck with your purchase

ryr8828
07-10-12, 04:32
I've got both and it's hard to choose. I have the V1 set up with fixed rear sight and aimpoint T1 with a streamlight tlr1 on top in front of the fsp. V5 has folding troy sights and a burris 1-4x with an adm qd mount.

I usually grab the V1 first to go shoot.

You have to decide if you want carbine or mid, fsp or not.

whick1
07-10-12, 06:00
I was at the same point you are about A month ago. I went with the V5 because i like the thought of being able to pick my front site. I prefer to have flip ups that I can just flip down so they do not interfere with my sight picture. If I need it I can simply flip it up. If I decide I want to go with a fixed sight I can do that also. I also like the midlength gas system I can tell decent difference between it and my carbine length gas systems.

dp2826
11-05-13, 18:12
Sorry if I am resurrecting this thread. But I have the same exact question. What did the op end up choosing?

LGS has a V1 on hand but could also get a V5 within a week or so. I thought I originally wanted fold down sights but that was before I understood the 1/3 co-witness.

Iraqgunz
11-05-13, 19:27
Why don't you PM him since we don't know because he never came back to tell us?

Sorry if I am resurrecting this thread. But I have the same exact question. What did the op end up choosing?

LGS has a V1 on hand but could also get a V5 within a week or so. I thought I originally wanted fold down sights but that was before I understood the 1/3 co-witness.

PatrioticDisorder
11-05-13, 20:36

The correct answer is buy both, that's what I did. :)

Redbeardsong
11-05-13, 20:48
The correct answer is buy both, that's what I did. :)

This. I have the V5 lightweight. For a hard use patrol carbine, the V1 is hard to beat.

dp2826
11-05-13, 21:35
What are the advantages of having a FSB?

Tzook
11-05-13, 22:39

The pins

Iraqgunz
11-05-13, 22:42
The FSB which is also the gas blocks provides the advantage that the gas block is pinned to the barrel which is the most reliable and durable method and the fixed FSB is much more robust than rail mounted sight systems which are more susceptible to damage.

Hank6046
01-11-14, 19:01
I own the V5 and I love it, I like the Mid length gas system over the Carbine length over all, just personal preference. I've shot the V1 and only after a lot of research bought the V5. Your not really going to go wrong with either, the only question really is which one can be setup to your individual preference. If you like the standard fixed front sight then awesome a V1 if not then V5 with flip ups. Your not going to hear a bad review of both, and if you do they probably don't know what they are talking about.

skyeboy
01-12-14, 08:45
I vote v5 just because i like the midlength setup. I have a v3 and everyone that shoots it is in love with it.

Scrubber3
01-12-14, 10:47
I'll vote for the V1. I have a v1 and a BCM midlength. The midlength shoots softer, but the carbine is more reliable. I can shoot Tula (I only tested it to see if it would work)through the v1 and it cycles fine. The BCM, not so much.

Hank6046
01-12-14, 11:23
I'll vote for the V1. I have a v1 and a BCM midlength. The midlength shoots softer, but the carbine is more reliable. I can shoot Tula (I only tested it to see if it would work)through the v1 and it cycles fine. The BCM, not so much.

I've done about 200rds of Wolf through my DDV5 and it worked awesome, any problems might be the Ammo its self. I like to shoot the Wolf to piss of my piston buddies who claim that the DI guns always jam, when his piston (Huldra, an Adam Arms setup) can't shot steel. They biggest problem with Tula or Wolf is the accuracy and the fact that most ranges won't take it.

ShootAndRide
01-12-14, 12:59
If you are going with BUIS you can get a longer sight radius on the V5. I also think it looks more slick and you have a little more rail real estate.

Scrubber3
01-12-14, 13:15
I've done about 200rds of Wolf through my DDV5 and it worked awesome, any problems might be the Ammo its self. I like to shoot the Wolf to piss of my piston buddies who claim that the DI guns always jam, when his piston (Huldra, an Adam Arms setup) can't shot steel. They biggest problem with Tula or Wolf is the accuracy and the fact that most ranges won't take it.

Talking dwell time for a middy is less than a carbine... Therefor the lower powered rounds won't fair as well as the better ammo. Tula=lower power.

ra2bach
01-12-14, 13:48
Talking dwell time for a middy is less than a carbine... Therefor the lower powered rounds won't fair as well as the better ammo. Tula=lower power.

dwell is not the only factor. gas port size is directly relational as well. all things being equal, using mil pressure ammo, GP of .060-.070, dwell of app. 20MS works best. this is reflected in 20"/rifle gas, 16'/midlength, and 14.5"/carbine.

my V5LW has a 16" barrel. my V1 has had the barrel shortened to 14.5...

6point9
01-12-14, 14:07
Just in case anyone is still in the same boat I went with the V5 for my first rifle. I've pretty much shot just about all sorts of ammo to include wolf, tula, herters plus the good stuff and it's been flawless through it's first 1000 rounds so far. Granted that's not much in the grand scheme of things when it comes to determining reliability but it's been good to me.

skyeboy
01-12-14, 14:12
I agree.the midlength just feels better but to each is own

Scrubber3
01-12-14, 14:52
dwell is not the only factor. gas port size is directly relational as well. all things being equal, using mil pressure ammo, GP of .060-.070, dwell of app. 20MS works best. this is reflected in 20"/rifle gas, 16'/midlength, and 14.5"/carbine.

my V5LW has a 16" barrel. my V1 has had the barrel shortened to 14.5...

Correct, but it's a huge factor and one that should still be considered. Of course using mil pressure it'll work. I was only stating my experience with less than ideal ammo and or conditions.

mx5rcr
01-12-14, 16:20
I was at the same point you are about A month ago. I went with the V5 because i like the thought of being able to pick my front site. I prefer to have flip ups that I can just flip down so they do not interfere with my sight picture. If I need it I can simply flip it up. If I decide I want to go with a fixed sight I can do that also. I also like the midlength gas system I can tell decent difference between it and my carbine length gas systems.

Same here. I went v5.
I also felt the with the supressor, the carbine was over gassed and beating the crap out of itself. Brass was flying 50 or 60 feet.

Shao
01-13-14, 08:00
I don't have a V5 but I have a V1 and V7 and I love my V1... I can tell no perceivable difference in recoil and since both are irons only guns, I prefer a FSB.

crusader377
01-13-14, 11:06
First off both are great choices and you can't go wrong with either. For me the decision would largely boil down to my optic selection. If I was running an aimpoint on the rifle and setting up more towards home defense I would probably go with the V1 due to my preference for a fixed FSB and a fixed BUIS. If I was planning to use a magnified optic such as a 1x4 variable, I would definitely go with the V5.

whick1
01-16-14, 08:43
I own a couple V5 one a LW the other standard. Both are great rifles it just comes down to if you want a FSB or not. I do not like the FSB as I run an Aimpoint and do not like th cluttered field of view I get with a standard FSB. On the LW V5 I have a set of Magpul MBUS and on the standard V5 I have a set of Troy flip ups. The V5 will give you more options especially if you decide to change rails down the road but at the end of the day both are great, top of the line options it just comes down to personal preference.

sorthcj
01-16-14, 11:46
My personal deciding factor was the ability to change out rails. I went with the V5 and have since installed a NSR 15. That would have also been possible with a V1 however much more labor intensive and then im left with a cutout rail. ?????? Not much to do with a specific cutout rail except sell it.

ra2bach
01-16-14, 13:55
Correct, but it's a huge factor and one that should still be considered. Of course using mil pressure it'll work. I was only stating my experience with less than ideal ammo and or conditions.

of course dwell should be considered. but dwell and GP are both factors on the same side of the equation affecting pressure and cyclic rate. changing one should require changes to the other but they're both relatively permanent factors - once you choose a gun, these are decided.

you can destructively adjust this by cutting down the barrel if overgassed, or drilling the gasport if undergassed, but these are not reversible. what is reversible or adjustable, to some extent, is matching the buffer weight and spring rate to the pressure of ammo you're shooting. but this won't cure all ills. in all things it makes sense to start with specs in the sweet spot I mentioned before.

this thread is about two uppers - midlength vs carbine with different dwell time from the same manufacturer. my statement was pointing out the differences other than rail and front sight configuration. if you want a gun that will shoot commercial grade ammo more reliably, I would choose the 16" carbine rather than the midlength, or a 14.5" of any configuration...