PDA

View Full Version : Disability: America's Newest Right

Sensei
07-09-12, 23:54
The new disability stats came out this month and Obama has added more people to disability rolls that the payrolls since 2009. Nice - thanks for that Big Guy....

Here is a good article that summarizes the situation:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2012/06/04/add-disability-to-obamas-anti-jobs-policies/

Here is another article that is a humorous take on the situation that was written by an ER doc colleague:

http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Fulltext/2006/02000/If_Coyotes_Were_as_Big_as_Minivans.8.aspx

anthony1
07-10-12, 02:29
I know of a few turds that are on full disability that are completely fine, two claimed they are mentally unstable or some bs. Have Two cousins on permanent disability one from drunk driving hasn't worked since 1992 the other broke his hand- by punching a wall, hasn't worked in years. All on Permanent disability, they all sit around and take pills all day, nothing else, just gone out of their minds on some OxyContin or whatever the latest, strongest pills are. They always make sure to proclaim how they "ain't on no pills no more", then they both proceed to tell me how much pills the other one is on behind each others back. It's kind of hilarious and pathetic at the same time. But they'll be dead soon from the drugs so whatever. Oh yeah, all that is paid for that's why I included the drug addiction part.

GotAmmo
07-10-12, 10:44
and the down slope of society gets steeper

Sensei
07-10-12, 14:17
I know of a few turds that are on full disability that are completely fine, two claimed they are mentally unstable or some bs. Have Two cousins on permanent disability one from drunk driving hasn't worked since 1992 the other broke his hand- by punching a wall, hasn't worked in years. All on Permanent disability, they all sit around and take pills all day, nothing else, just gone out of their minds on some OxyContin or whatever the latest, strongest pills are. They always make sure to proclaim how they "ain't on no pills no more", then they both proceed to tell me how much pills the other one is on behind each others back. It's kind of hilarious and pathetic at the same time. But they'll be dead soon from the drugs so whatever. Oh yeah, all that is paid for that's why I included the drug addiction part.

A real big part of the problem are the 2 major enablers - lawyers and doctors. For example, a google search on the word "disability" results in page after page of legal advertisements to help people apply for disability.

When it comes to the physician enablers, they generally break down into 2 varieties. First, you have the doctors that are really themselves criminals. They represent the extreme minority, but every community has their douche-in-a-box. These guys know that the "patient" is not disabled, but they falsify the paperwork for overt financial gain. Most of them are not real bright and get caught-up in other illegal activities such as running a pill-mill, narcotic diversion to friends, etc. One of the more insidious examples of this behavior is a large chunk of psychiatrists who like to diagnosis people with "bipolar" who really have a personality disorder and substance-induced mood disorder (i.e. they are manic on their cocaine and depressed on their xanax). These docs then bill 3rd party payers for a diagnosis that does not exist, while the patient gets their disability and Xanax fix for life - nice.

The other category tends to be physicians who allow their liberal bias to cloud their judgement. They believe everything a patient tells them - no matter how outlandish the story. They also subscribe to the medical establishment's talking points that healthcare is a right, we are doing a bad job as a profession at controlling chronic pain, patient satisfaction is a major priority, etc. While not as overt as the first class, these physicians are easily persuaded by peer and institutional pressures (mainly through patient satisfaction surveys, hospital complaints, etc.) to keep patients happy even if it runs against logic. These physician are the reason why deaths from controlled substances have skyrocketed 600% in 15 years.

TehLlama
07-10-12, 15:31
The other category tends to be physicians who allow their liberal bias to cloud their judgement. They believe everything a patient tells them - no matter how outlandish the story. They also subscribe to the medical establishment's talking points that healthcare is a right, we are doing a bad job as a profession at controlling chronic pain, patient satisfaction is a major priority, etc. While not as overt as the first class, these physicians are easily persuaded by peer and institutional pressures (mainly through patient satisfaction surveys, hospital complaints, etc.) to keep patients happy even if it runs against logic. These physician are the reason why deaths from controlled substances have skyrocketed 600% in 15 years.

You have no idea how relentless this sort of push is even within med school.

I have no complaint with deaths from controlled substances skyrocketing, because self-induced stupidity is a Darwinistic mechanism, but when institutional pressure is being applied to medical professionals before they even have the opportunity to practice, these are the least of the problems.

chadbag
07-10-12, 15:49
A real big part of the problem are the 2 major enablers - lawyers and doctors.

And the third. Politicians out to enslave another class to add to their permanent voting bloc.

-

YVK
07-11-12, 00:42
The other category tends to be physicians who allow their liberal bias to cloud their judgement. They believe everything a patient tells them - no matter how outlandish the story.

You're slightly dichotomizing here. If a patient comes to my office with a complaint, it is my professional responsibility to give him/her equal amount of attention regardless of whether I think it smells or it doesn't. I may not believe the BS stuff, but I have to refute it more or less objectively.

I have filled out quite a bit of disability papers, and at the end of the day it is your signature and your reputation on the line. Very few rationally thinking physicians, even those with liberal inclinations, want to be drawn into defending against fraud charges.
I am not even mentioning that the whole idea of lying, or stretching a truth, is nauseating, even if for the patient's "benefit. At least to me.

Having said that, I feel very fortunate that in my specialty I have a wide variety of ways of objectifying patient's status. Just last week I called an attorney's office and asked them if they really wanted me to fill out an affidavit, 'cause I would've said there was no objective data to support the claim. They said they would think about it and so far haven't called back.
I really feel bad for those docs who have no decent way of objectifying the patient's status. Chronic pain conditions are the examples. Can't measure pain. Can't often correlate the degree of abnormalities on imaging with patients complaints. Lots of room for abuse here, and that's where most of it happens.

Sensei
07-11-12, 11:44
You're slightly dichotomizing here. If a patient comes to my office with a complaint, it is my professional responsibility to give him/her equal amount of attention regardless of whether I think it smells or it doesn't. I may not believe the BS stuff, but I have to refute it more or less objectively.

I have filled out quite a bit of disability papers, and at the end of the day it is your signature and your reputation on the line. Very few rationally thinking physicians, even those with liberal inclinations, want to be drawn into defending against fraud charges.
I am not even mentioning that the whole idea of lying, or stretching a truth, is nauseating, even if for the patient's "benefit. At least to me.

Having said that, I feel very fortunate that in my specialty I have a wide variety of ways of objectifying patient's status. Just last week I called an attorney's office and asked them if they really wanted me to fill out an affidavit, 'cause I would've said there was no objective data to support the claim. They said they would think about it and so far haven't called back.
I really feel bad for those docs who have no decent way of objectifying the patient's status. Chronic pain conditions are the examples. Can't measure pain. Can't often correlate the degree of abnormalities on imaging with patients complaints. Lots of room for abuse here, and that's where most of it happens.

When I refer to physician enablers, I'm talking about those who are helping people who could otherwise work to get disability. Clearly, not every physician who signs disability paperwork is an enabler. However, more and more doctors are falling into this trap every year.

Reagans Rascals
07-11-12, 13:53
whats bullshit is.... the people that really actually have disabilities... and do not have the ability to work whatsoever... have to wait 6-9 ****in months just to be denied... and its basically an unwritten requirement that you must apply at least 3 times before you can be approved and even then you still must get a lawyer and basically fight city hall.....

My mother has a spinal disease as well as a host of other issues, it manifested itself at the age of 26, she has not been able to work since.... it took her until the age of 33 before she was awarded disability, it took 6 attempts and 2 lawyers... and she was the first person with her disease to be awarded it...

after all was said and done.... she gets a measly ****in $530 a month.... the government might as well just wipe their ass with the check before they send it...

I had brain surgery in '08, had to spend 11 months recovering and learning to walk again, and I am now deaf in my right ear.... yet when I applied for short term disability simply so I could ****in buy food... I had to wait 7 months just to be denied... their reasoning.... "you could just get a job where you don't have to work.."

Yet..... 4 blocks away... a friend of a friend... a real piece of shit... was in a car accident and broke his arm... claimed he was mentally distraught and suicidal, was awarded Disability, SSI, Medicare, an EBT card, and lived in government housing for free...all on the first time he applied... he ****in sat there... bitched about Bush allllllllll ****in day... about how much he hates the government.. smoked pot... and played his guitar.... that's what we were all paying for

just incase anyone may know him... his name is Rich... he lived at the time in Shippensburg, PA in government housing on Byrd Street.... he looks like the lead singer of the Black Crows... and he is a real piece of shit... so if any of you ever run into him... let him know Reagan's Rascals hopes he dies from severe rectal trauma

So my piece of advice.... if you ever need to apply... simply tell them you are a drug addict, you are suicidal, and you are mentally unstable... you'll get it on the first try and max it out...

Belmont31R
07-11-12, 22:39
I know a guy who is getting almost 2k a month in disability...

Just another form of welfare which is driving our country deeper into debt by the day....:rolleyes:

ForTehNguyen
07-11-12, 22:42
when you subsidize disability, guess whats going to happen, you get more "disabled" people

DTHN2LGS
07-12-12, 14:39
The rotten apples ripping off the system taint all of the legitimately disabled people, and they all get painted with the same brush. If you've paid into Social Security for over 35 years, isn't the money you receive your money that you paid into the system for all those years???

chadbag
07-12-12, 14:40
If you've paid into Social Security for over 35 years, isn't the money you receive your money that you paid into the system for all those years???

Legally, no. Social Security is a tax and you hold no sort of equity in the system.

--

Reagans Rascals
07-12-12, 14:55
Social Security is the biggest Ponzi Scheme to date for those of us under the age of 30....

I have been paying into it, and will continue to have to pay into it.... but I will never be able to draw from it when my time comes become it simply won't be there anymore....

I think its unconstitutional to require us to pay into it, knowing full well, the system will collapse before we will ever draw from it...

I am 25.... do any of you really think that Social Security will be there for me in 40 years?

did you know that Pos-T-Vac Dick Pumps, hair plugs, gastric bypass, and now even dental braces are all covered under medicare?.... explain to me where any of those are a necessity for life.... abortion is slated to try and sneak its way onto the scrolls as well

so... lets lay out this scenario... a fat bastard of a man... 600 lbs... he decided he wants to get to looking better... so he gets medicare because obviously he's disabled... he then gets a gastric bypass... then as he's losing weight he decides he needs braces... get them... oh but hey... his hair is a little thin... so he gets hair plugs.... now he's lookin good but he's got a case of broke dick... so now he needs a Pos-T-Vac Dick Pump.... so now he's got the pump... he's lookin good... goes to bar... picks up a skank... gets that pump out and takes her to pound town... now shes pregnant.... well don't worry... cause medicare's got your back for the abortion....

This episode of Jerry Springer is brought to you by the American Taxpayer......

chadbag
07-12-12, 15:38
so... lets lay out this scenario... a fat bastard of a man... 600 lbs... he decided he wants to get to looking better... so he gets medicare because obviously he's disabled... he then gets a gastric bypass... then as he's losing weight he decides he needs braces... get them... oh but hey... his hair is a little thin... so he gets hair plugs.... now he's lookin good but he's got a case of broke dick... so now he needs a Pos-T-Vac Dick Pump.... so now he's got the pump... he's lookin good... goes to bar... picks up a skank... gets that pump out and takes her to pound town... now shes pregnant.... well don't worry... cause medicare's got your back for the abortion....

Of course, fat bastard may be Catholic* or other religion that does not believe in abortion, so he may let the baby be born, so they can start the cycle over again with fat bastard jr.

* no offense to Catholics or other people of religion meant with the association with fat bastard. If only fat bastard believed in all that the Catholic Church preaches... He wouldn't be needing the abortion in the first place...

Armati
07-12-12, 20:11
SSI is a rather old scam. In my personal living memory I know people who have been scamming the system for over 30 years. Over the years there has developed a whole industry of lawyers who help get people on SSI.

Now, when the 99% get off their 3 years of unemployment they now get on SSI for life. I personally know a guy who did this.

Check out the movie "The Wild And Wonderful Whites of West Virginia"

http://wildandwonderfulwhites.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_and_Wonderful_Whites_of_West_Virginia

mallowpufft
07-12-12, 20:33
SSI is a rather old scam. In my personal living memory I know people who have been scamming the system for over 30 years. Over the years there has developed a whole industry of lawyers who help get people on SSI.

Now, when the 99% get off their 3 years of unemployment they now get on SSI for life. I personally know a guy who did this.

Check out the movie "The Wild And Wonderful Whites of West Virginia"

http://wildandwonderfulwhites.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_and_Wonderful_Whites_of_West_Virginia

SSI is a mixed bag.
I work with adults who have severe disabilities (intellectual and physical). They almost all get SSI. Some of them get supplemental on top but most don't. It's based on how much their parents paid in to the system.
I have one person who is non verbal, flings poo, and has to have food pureed in order to ingest it without choking. Because that person's family paid so much in to the system that person gets over 1500 a month. And would be perfectly happy with nothing but balloons and socks to play with and somewhere to walk outside.
I have another individual who's family paid nothing in to the system so that individual gets the minimum which is a hair under $700 a month. This person is in a wheelchair and has a speech impediment and the mental cognition of a 10-12 year old and is very social. Doesn't have the money to do a damned thing other than latch hook and hope someone comes over to visit.

Then I know people like the Whites (I've seen Jessco dancing and I know the brother of one of the editors of that movie) .

SSDI is the real scam for those who want it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Denali
07-13-12, 00:59
My brother broke his neck in an industrial accident back in 2005, he is ****ed up! He has only partial feeling in his right arm, and hand, and has difficulty walking. He had two orthopedic surgeons and a neurologist testify in writing to SSA that he was ****ed up, that he would never be able to work a forty hour week again.

He's been turned down seven consecutive times! The last denial, the judge said(in writing)that his doctors were lying! The SSA doctor, who has never even examined him, cleared him to return to work, at his old job as a printer!

I have a very hard time believing that SSDI is a candy store for pussies....

Sensei
07-13-12, 02:17
My brother broke his neck in an industrial accident back in 2005, he is ****ed up! He has only partial feeling in his right arm, and hand, and has difficulty walking. He had two orthopedic surgeons and a neurologist testify in writing to SSA that he was ****ed up, that he would never be able to work a forty hour week again.

He's been turned down seven consecutive times! The last denial, the judge said(in writing)that his doctors were lying! The SSA doctor, who has never even examined him, cleared him to return to work, at his old job as a printer!

I have a very hard time believing that SSDI is a candy store for pussies....

A lot has happened since 2005 when your brother applied.

Having said that, its time for me to reinforce my status as the forum asshole by saying that I'm glad, very very glad, that your brother got the run around. In fact, I'm glad that Reagans Rascals' sister got the run around, and I hope that she got breathless in her efforts. Actually, I could not be happier if the feds denied every last damn person who applies for disability. Why such as heartless bastard you ask? It's not that I don't empathize with human suffering. The answer is that my conservative interpretation of the Constitution fails to find anywhere that lists "Disability Payments" as an enumerated power for the Federal Government. In other words, I suggest you buy a disability insurance policy if you want someone to pay your bills when you're hurt and miss work (yes, that's a plug for AFLAC!!).

Also, for those of you who think that you deserve federal disability, SSI, Medicare, etc. because you are "paying into the system," here is a news flash: there is no lock-box on Medicare and Social Security taxes. Chad is right - the taxes for those programs can be used to fund any federal spending measure, and there is no individual right to ownership for the funds that you contribute. Unless you have been hiding under a rock, you should already know that Social Security and Medicare funds have been used to fund your highways, public schools, local police and all the other luxuries that you enjoy as an American. While it may make you feel better or less responsible for the shithole that our citizenry is becoming to think that you are being lied to, take this posting as one more announcement that you are really lying to yourself to think that you somehow "deserve" Federal disability.

chadbag
07-13-12, 12:23
+100

I agree. There should be no such program in the first place.

There is no difference between someone unfortunate enough to have broken their back and "needing" government assistance and someone who has come down with cancer "needing" government assistance. Yet the first one is "good" ? and the second one "bad"? (socialized medicine)?

Having said that, its time for me to reinforce my status as the forum asshole by saying that I'm glad, very very glad, that your brother got the run around. In fact, I'm glad that Reagans Rascals' sister got the run around, and I hope that she got breathless in her efforts. Actually, I could not be happier if the feds denied every last damn person who applies for disability. Why such as heartless bastard you ask? It's not that I don't empathize with human suffering. The answer is that my conservative interpretation of the Constitution fails to find anywhere that lists "Disability Payments" as an enumerated power for the Federal Government. In other words, I suggest you buy a disability insurance policy if you want someone to pay your bills when you're hurt and miss work (yes, that's a plug for AFLAC!!).

Also, for those of you who think that you deserve federal disability, SSI, Medicare, etc. because you are "paying into the system," here is a news flash: there is no lock-box on Medicare and Social Security taxes. Chad is right - the taxes for those programs can be used to fund any federal spending measure, and there is no individual right to ownership for the funds that you contribute. Unless you have been hiding under a rock, you should already know that Social Security and Medicare funds have been used to fund your highways, public schools, local police and all the other luxuries that you enjoy as an American. While it may make you feel better or less responsible for the shithole that our citizenry is becoming to think that you are being lied to, take this posting as one more announcement that you are really lying to yourself to think that you somehow "deserve" Federal disability.

Reagans Rascals
07-13-12, 12:46
its all fine and dandy while you pontificate from your pulpits... but wait until you're put in that situation and we'll see how fast you reverse your position

with absolutely no ****ing way to even buy food... it'll be quite the wake up call when you are denied receiving assistance, are told you can work... and then oh yeah by the way... when you are forced back to work... you have to ****in pay into that same mother ****in piece of shit tax that you were yourself denied from receiving... so some other piece of shit drug addict/ass clown can still get it

but hey... you know everything right?

VooDoo6Actual
07-13-12, 12:52
Social Security is the biggest Ponzi Scheme to date for those of us under the age of 30....

I have been paying into it, and will continue to have to pay into it.... but I will never be able to draw from it when my time comes become it simply won't be there anymore....

I think its unconstitutional to require us to pay into it, knowing full well, the system will collapse before we will ever draw from it...

I am 25.... do any of you really think that Social Security will be there for me in 40 years?

did you know that Pos-T-Vac Dick Pumps, hair plugs, gastric bypass, and now even dental braces are all covered under medicare?.... explain to me where any of those are a necessity for life.... abortion is slated to try and sneak its way onto the scrolls as well

This episode of Jerry Springer is brought to you by the American Taxpayer......

This.
Great story and ALL too true.

chadbag
07-13-12, 13:08
its all fine and dandy while you pontificate from your pulpits... but wait until you're put in that situation and we'll see how fast you reverse your position

with absolutely no ****ing way to even buy food... it'll be quite the wake up call when you are denied receiving assistance, are told you can work... and then oh yeah by the way... when you are forced back to work... you have to ****in pay into that same mother ****in piece of shit tax that you were yourself denied from receiving... so some other piece of shit drug addict/ass clown can still get it

No, I don't. But it is obvious you think you do.

I do not support the druggie lazy types getting it either. I think the program should be gotten rid of.

I don't support welfare by the government for anyone -- broken backs, cancer, lazy bums, best damn story there is, for the children, for anyone.

"Do as I say, not as I do?" Is that how it is for you?

The poor lazy fat ass collecting SSDI has a sob story to tell and his suffering is just as real as your brother's. Or the poor single mom with 3 kids who goes to the ER when they get a cold. Her needs for medical help are just as real as your brother's for financial help.

The whole damn system needs to be gotten rid of so that society (not the government) can order itself and take care of the less fortunate. now, they have no chance since the government controls everything and confiscates a significant amount of the resources.

--

Belmont31R
07-13-12, 17:37

Curious to how you think someone elses misfortune entitles someone to part of our paycheck? Guess what? If people didn't have to pay 30-50% taxes they would have more money on hand when situations arise, and if they didn't then thats on them. But to vote to steal money out of my check, hindering my ability to save or pay for my own care, is about as crass and shitty as a thing as someone can do.

What do you say to people who live paycheck to paycheck, and get that $100 in SS tax taken out of their check they could have bought a week or two worth of groceries with? Instead it goes to someone else while their family has to wait til payday to make a grocery store run?

We've been there and it ain't fun seeing hundreds of dollars a month go to taxes to benefit other people while we're eating ramen and mac'n'cheese.

Reagans Rascals
07-13-12, 18:10
All of you fail to see my point.

Either we pay the tax, and can use it when put in the position to desperately need it.

Or we don't pay the tax at all.

I do not agree with paying the tax, specifically called Social Security/ Medicare, and then when I cannot work for 11+ months, being denied for the very thing I have been contributing for, however; some black piece of shit drug addict can get it the first try.

I disagree with now the system is functioning. I do not believe we are entitled to anything. And with that being said, I disagree with the tax in the first place. But, if we are required to pay the tax, I believe it is unconstitutional to deny someone, that truly needs it, yet still force them to pay into it....

what kind of ****ed up bullshit is that....

no you cannot use my car to go to the grocery store... but yes you must help pay for the gas I use... umm no.

Either they revamp the system to help those that actually need it, or they discard the entire thing...

That's literally the same thing as contributing to a time share, that you are forbidden to ever use....

I don't believe any of you should have to pay for me or anyone else, but I do believe I should have access to at least the amount I myself have paid into the system.... its bullshit to make me pay in.. and then deny me when I ask for assistance...

its exactly the same as paying into insurance for years and years and years... and then you have 1 accident... and they refuse to pay out.... wtf... granted this is a generalized tax and not some type of equity system.... but this illustrates my point

basically.... if I can't get it when needed but others can... don't make me pay into it then

Belmont31R
07-13-12, 18:43
All of you fail to see my point.

Either we pay the tax, and can use it when put in the position to desperately need it.

Or we don't pay the tax at all.

I do not agree with paying the tax, specifically called Social Security/ Medicare, and then when I cannot work for 11+ months, being denied for the very thing I have been contributing for, however; some black piece of shit drug addict can get it the first try.

I disagree with now the system is functioning. I do not believe we are entitled to anything. And with that being said, I disagree with the tax in the first place. But, if we are required to pay the tax, I believe it is unconstitutional to deny someone, that truly needs it, yet still force them to pay into it....

what kind of ****ed up bullshit is that....

no you cannot use my car to go to the grocery store... but yes you must help pay for the gas I use... umm no.

Either they revamp the system to help those that actually need it, or they discard the entire thing...

That's literally the same thing as contributing to a time share, that you are forbidden to ever use....

I don't believe any of you should have to pay for me or anyone else, but I do believe I should have access to at least the amount I myself have paid into the system.... its bullshit to make me pay in.. and then deny me when I ask for assistance...

its exactly the same as paying into insurance for years and years and years... and then you have 1 accident... and they refuse to pay out.... wtf... granted this is a generalized tax and not some type of equity system.... but this illustrates my point

basically.... if I can't get it when needed but others can... don't make me pay into it then

Which is why government run 'assistance' programs are such a bad idea.

People in need of help should start at the lowest level and then work up. Not start at the top (fed gov) and steal their neighbors paycheck which creates a huge government in the process. I mean if I knew one of my neighbors was struggling to make ends meet we always have plenty of left overs and its not hard to make a bit extra. I mean I can make a pot of soup for under 10 bucks that would feed 4 adults and 4 kids. Two families. But I'll tell you Id turn a blind eye if I knew they were on welfare. If they're already stealing out of my paycheck then they're getting enough help from us already.

This is really the thing people have a hard time grasping...and that welfare programs are designed to create big government voters not actually help people out. Most people would make a lot more money in 401k's than they would paying in SS their whole life, and then expect the current working generation to pay them back for what they paid in.

Excuse me if my numbers are a little off but the last time I looked SS was average input of around $200k dollars and an average output of $250k. So we pay, on average, $200k over the course of our lifetime to get $250k back. Investing $200k over your lifetime would get you a lot more than $250k back.

If you look at the numbers its impossible to pay all the people they are eligible for in the future. I know a lot of people who pay into it support on the expectation its there for them when they need it but the numbers say otherwise. Its due to be negative input vs. output very shortly. So we have to pay for it with borrowing or general fund money that would otherwise go to other programs/military/ect. Its a huge fraud thats being kicked down the road, the politicians won't admit it because they want to be reelected, and the populace won't come to the realization they paid into a failed system their entire adult working lives.

Reagans Rascals
07-13-12, 18:54
I agree with you 100%.

Disband the system. However, there has to be some type of something in place when they do, to take care of those currently on the system, or those very close to retirement with no way to begin a 401k type program.

I am 25, I would be more than happy to simply stop paying into the system all together, with the caveat that I cannot draw from the system in the future. I'd opt out this very instant... because I've already been turned away once... therefore I don't need it in writing to know that shit wont be there when its my turn to dip my hand in the cookie jar.

I don't feel like someone is entitled to receive funds simply because they are going through a hardship... but when those funds have been specifically earmarked for just that purpose, and yet you are still denied... that's when I call shenaniganz..... and want to know why Lysol or Tron or Tyree can get it because they stick a needle in their vein or have too many damn kids... but someone who is physically disabled... by no fault of their own... cannot even get a damn hot pocket... and it takes 7 months to learn you aren't getting that hot pocket too....

I look at it like they do with transplants.... you become severely injured in a car accident and now need a new liver... you're put on the list.... you ****ing drink and destroy your own liver.... you shall go wanting.....

Belmont31R
07-13-12, 19:19
I agree with you 100%.

Disband the system. However, there has to be some type of something in place when they do, to take care of those currently on the system, or those very close to retirement with no way to begin a 401k type program.

I am 25, I would be more than happy to simply stop paying into the system all together, with the caveat that I cannot draw from the system in the future. I'd opt out this very instant... because I've already been turned away once... therefore I don't need it in writing to know that shit wont be there when its my turn to dip my hand in the cookie jar.

I don't feel like someone is entitled to receive funds simply because they are going through a hardship... but when those funds have been specifically earmarked for just that purpose, and yet you are still denied... that's when I call shenaniganz..... and want to know why Lysol or Tron or Tyree can get it because they stick a needle in their vein or have too many damn kids... but someone who is physically disabled... by no fault of their own... cannot even get a damn hot pocket... and it takes 7 months to learn you aren't getting that hot pocket too....

I look at it like they do with transplants.... you become severely injured in a car accident and now need a new liver... you're put on the list.... you ****ing drink and destroy your own liver.... you shall go wanting.....

Theres over 300 million Americans. Its just impossible to completely fair and impartial when you're dealing with the numbers we are.

This is one of the things welfare destroys...and that is community bond. Like I said Id make some extra food or invite a family over who was struggling...but we've gone away from that type of community relationship into simply voting money out of our neighbors pockets instead of being a community. So we're already paying hundreds a month in taxes, and that takes away from my ability to feed my family and also then help take care of neighbors or friends who are a bit down.

No...you're neighbors can't pay for the 200k surgery you need but their assistance can be a lot more immediate and far cheaper than creating a huge government to do the same thing, and then lead to all the abuse that happens. My point is we are already stressing people to the max with taxes, and then people wonder why people aren't neighborly anymore.

Before we just moved we had a good neighborhood, and its a lot cheaper to spend a couple hours a week being a neighbor than paying hundreds a month in taxes. My neighbors helped us move, and Im watching over their houses while on vacation. Just had a friend/old neighbor ask me last weekend to watch over his house next month, and I just finished 2 weeks of watching over another guys house with 3 fish tanks and 2 cats. Both of them did a lot of help us move and Ive got no problem keeping an eye on their place for a couple weeks or feeding some animals while they are gone.

But **** be upon the person that uses the IRS and the rest of the FedGov to demand my assistance right out of my paycheck. Yes we all get the "we pay into it we should get it back" angle but thats not how this work, and its part of the scam which has kept people voting for SS supporting politicians. I can count on maybe one hand the amount of elected officials in DC who vote to abolish SS. While the populace voted for the republican take over of the house...ask yourself how many people will vote for a guy whos going to take their check away.

Posted it before...but around half the population relies on government money to put food on the table. You, and I are asking for people to vote to take food off the table. And I hope its no surprise to you but theres a ****ton of "conservatives" out there on the dole. We live in a conservative area (our rep, Carter TX31) got over 70% of the vote. But our county has a HUGE retirement population and military. Getting elected here while promising to cut welfare has a worse chance than being a democrat.

Suwannee Tim
07-13-12, 21:03
On the other hand there are folks like my step daughter who had a psychotic break at age 19, prior to that she had an IQ in the 80 to 85 range, was crazy as a bedbug for a month in the hospital and was only brought out by aggressive use of ECT. There is no way in hell she could work, the slightest stress causes her to freeze up and she has to be shown in detail the simplest tasks. She got disability on the first try and works most days as a volunteer helping my wife teach Kindergarten. Everything worked out about as well as it possibly could under the circumstances. She's got a little money, she has a life and she contributes. For every Ashley I'm afraid there is at least one and maybe two Richs on Byrd Street. Fact is it has taken almost a century to get into this mess and we are not going to get out of it anytime soon. It's going to take decades at least.

Belmont31R
07-13-12, 21:08
On the other hand there are folks like my step daughter who had a psychotic break at age 19, prior to that she had an IQ in the 80 to 85 range, was crazy as a bedbug for a month in the hospital and was only brought out by aggressive use of ECT. There is no way in hell she could work, the slightest stress causes her to freeze up and she has to be shown in detail the simplest tasks. She got disability on the first try and works most days as a volunteer helping my wife teach Kindergarten. Everything worked out about as well as it possibly could under the circumstances. She's got a little money, she has a life and she contributes. For every Ashley I'm afraid there is at least one and maybe two Richs on Byrd Street. Fact is it has taken almost a century to get into this mess and we are not going to get out of it anytime soon. It's going to take decades at least.

On the other hand my wife was diagnosed Bipolor 2 and could get disability. Instead she just got a promotion at work, and is starting next month at a private university to complete the work she has already done to get her BSN. Not everyone diagnosed with a "disability" needs to be on the dole but it seems an easy way out for many.

Reagans Rascals
07-13-12, 21:38
there's a reason they say forest fires are a necessary evil every few years.... clears away all of the bad brush...precisely what this government needs at this point in time...

Sensei
07-14-12, 00:19
People need to stop thinking of FICA as something that they pay into for later use. Although Social Security and Medicare were originally promoted this way, a contributory system has never been the case since revenue generated by FICA is used for all of the amenities that we enjoy from the Feds. Thus, it is much better for your mental health not to separate in you brain FICA from the other income taxes that you pay when filing your taxes.

If you want a reliable source of income for your retirement, you had best set up an IRA or take advantage of a company 401k. If you want some means of income protection against injury, I suggest that you purchase a disability policy. Relying on the Feds to provide these services for you is simply retarded and inconsistent with conservative values.

Reagans Rascals
07-14-12, 01:29
People need to stop thinking of FICA as something that they pay into for later use. Although Social Security and Medicare were originally promoted this way, a contributory system has never been the case since revenue generated by FICA is used for all of the amenities that we enjoy from the Feds. Thus, it is much better for your mental health not to separate in you brain FICA from the other income taxes that you pay when filing your taxes.

If you want a reliable source of income for your retirement, you had best set up an IRA or take advantage of a company 401k. If you want some means of income protection against injury, I suggest that you purchase a disability policy. Relying on the Feds to provide these services for you is simply retarded and inconsistent with conservative values.

I disagree... as a 21 year old at the time, under going brain surgery, with no means of income, and no where to turn, what was I supposed to do?

I am just as conservative as the rest of you... however after having been put in that situation... failing my way out of college, unable to work, having to completely relearn the simplest task you take for granted like eating solid food or walking to the bathroom and wiping your own ass, I see no other avenue of help.... at the age of 21 you never ever think of getting an AFLAC policy or anything else for that matter.... shit happens..... and when it does... what do you do?

I had to rely on family that was sketchy at best... because I was denied help from the government... so you should all rest assured I never took a piece of food out of your mouths... my credit is ruined, I'll never be able to get another loan again, I'm so far in debt I'll never get out, and I accept that because that is my burden to bare, not yours, or anyone else's for that matter, however; I believe its bullshit to still require me to continue to pay into something I was never allowed to receive myself....

but this is all beside the point... lets mention 2 ****in words and see what bullshit has transpired....the amount of gubment aid being reached for.... Hurricane Katrina....... I rest my case....

Sensei
07-14-12, 07:25
I disagree... as a 21 year old at the time, under going brain surgery, with no means of income, and no where to turn, what was I supposed to do?

I am just as conservative as the rest of you... however after having been put in that situation... failing my way out of college, unable to work, having to completely relearn the simplest task you take for granted like eating solid food or walking to the bathroom and wiping your own ass, I see no other avenue of help.... at the age of 21 you never ever think of getting an AFLAC policy or anything else for that matter.... shit happens..... and when it does... what do you do?

One of the down sides to a free society is that bad stuff happens and occassionaly good people die from unexpected circumstances. However, this does not mean that we need federal programs to "rescue" these people. Perhaps we all need to be more comfortable with the notion that our own asses may someday be on the chopping block, and we need to prepare accordingly.

One of the aspects of your post that I want to focus on is the notion that youthful inexperience played a part in your being illprepared for the circumstances that confronted you. I have little doubt that many people say to themselves, "Holy shit Batman, nobody told me that I needed disability insurance at age 21." Well, a big part of the problem is that federal programs create a lot of negative interia when it comes to preparedness because people instinctively know that big brother is waiting to catch them when they fall. Is it possible that you would have better prepared had you known that such challenges would not be overcome with Uncle Sam's help?

ForTehNguyen
07-14-12, 08:40
one of the worst thing about disability laws is it teaches disabled people that "they always need help and special treatment"

Kokopelli
07-14-12, 09:42
History has provided classic examples of how to handle those that fall outside the productive collective. The society we currently line in (USA) uses it's own methodologies and practices when we may adhere to or not. I know many people that have been a part of this society and accumulated enough to "drop out" and off the radar screen. They are currently expatriates living in our deserts, badlands and other countries. They don't pay "jack" into the society which provided them the opportunity to do what they do. Most however, do make good use of the society that currently exist in.

It's a big world out there and there's lots of unoccupied land open for colonization. Perhaps that's the ticket.. Ron

Armati
07-14-12, 10:22
Again, my observation is there are whole communities that milk the system.

Yes, there may be a few anecdotal stories about people who really need SSI but when I travel around America, I see throngs of people who are just milking it.

The 600 pounders pulling into the handicap parking space at Walmart and then driving around in the little electric cart are legion. You could stand there all day and see these people come and go. Hundreds of them, all day long, in every Walmart in America.

Reagans Rascals
07-14-12, 12:44
Is it possible that you would have better prepared had you known that such challenges would not be overcome with Uncle Sam's help?

Not at all... because I was not unprepared simply due to the fact that I knew Uncle Sam would catch me... in fact... at 21, when I did become ill.... I was completely unaware of the fact that you could even apply for let alone get temporary disability... it was only at the urging of one of my neurosurgeons/otolaryngologists that I should seek it out because I had a long road to recovery ahead of me...

when you are that young... you simply don't ever even picture that scenario happening... ever... it literally never even enters your mind that you will be injured or become ill to the point you wont be able to buy food and will need some kind of assistance from somewhere, be it family, friends, or Uncle Sam... I don't think it has anything to do with relying on Uncle Sam as a safety net to catch us when we fall, I think it simply has more to do with the youthful invincibility mindset that nothing's ever gonna happen....

Most people fail to prepare for a power outage, until they've been through a rough one... that's just how it is... yes there are those of you who took the initiative to prepare before hand... but you are few and far between...

honestly, how many of you have an AFLAC Disability Policy right now?
I would guarantee less than 15% of you, if that many

Armati
07-14-12, 13:18
Most people fail to prepare for a power outage, until they've been through a rough one... that's just how it is... yes there are those of you who took the initiative to prepare before hand... but you are few and far between...

And thus we have an endless cycle of govt dependency.

'The govt large enough to give you everything you want, is large enough to take everything you have.'

People on 'our' side of the argument get all exercised about how the govt is too big, too intrusive, and taxes are too high. And, yet in the same breath, these same people will demand their fair-share of the govt cheese. Sorry children, but you don't get one without the other. A large welfare state will, by necessity, become a large Nanny State. There is no getting around this.

A lot of would be conservatives here would make fun of NOLA for it's lack of preparation and poor response to Katrina. And yet they demand their own govt welfare check as something they 'earned' or 'paid into'. All taxes are taxes. There is no lock box. You get taxed, and the money gets spent on whoever has biggest line of political BS.

Many here own generators, guns, and a couple of cases of MRE's. They are assured in their own minds that they are prepared for the Apocalypse and don't need no stinkin' govt. Yet, they will cry a river if you try to take away their favorite flavor of welfare.

Denali
07-16-12, 23:53

If anything, I'm more conservative then you, thats not the point, the point is that these people(you too)pumped money into this BS all of their lives, then when they needed it, they got thumped instead! This is WHY we have SS, to help out with exactly the kind of people my brother happens to be, or elderly retirees.

BTW, I seem to recall that he also had a policy with "The Hartford" that was to pay him to a certain age, they used a technical procedure to STOP paying him through the auspices of the ERSSA act, which left him unable to collect on his private disability policy unless he sued the insurance company, which "surprise" he could not afford to do...Maybe we should just euthanize such people?

Sensei
07-17-12, 07:04
If anything, I'm more conservative then you...

Not if you believe in federal government-run retirement or disability programs. There is a middle ground somewhere between euthanasia and a federal nanny state which is what we have become. For example, there could be state run retirement / disability programs (probably also a bad idea), local exchanges, etc.

You seem to be hung up on the notion that you have "paid into" a system that is not giving you a return on your "investment." Bacause SCOTUS has determined that FICA is a tax like any other, you need to adjust your thinking to reflect that you are simply paying taxes that can be used to fund military, roads, sex changes in San Francisco, etc. There is no right of ownership to your contribution and you cannot specify how those funds are used.

Denali
07-18-12, 20:15
Not if you believe in federal government-run retirement or disability programs. There is a middle ground somewhere between euthanasia and a federal nanny state which is what we have become. For example, there could be state run retirement / disability programs (probably also a bad idea), local exchanges, etc.

You seem to be hung up on the notion that you have "paid into" a system that is not giving you a return on your "investment." Bacause SCOTUS has determined that FICA is a tax like any other, you need to adjust your thinking to reflect that you are simply paying taxes that can be used to fund military, roads, sex changes in San Francisco, etc. There is no right of ownership to your contribution and you cannot specify how those funds are used.

No, I'm not hung up, its not an investment, its an insurance policy, if you paid in, then you have a right to file, you should also have a reasonable expectation of being awarded benefits if your level of disability meets the medical standard....Whether you like it or not...

chadbag
07-18-12, 20:56
No, I'm not hung up, its not an investment, its an insurance policy, if you paid in, then you have a right to file, you should also have a reasonable expectation of being awarded benefits if your level of disability meets the medical standard....Whether you like it or not...

Except that it is not. It is not an insurance policy.

It is a tax. Plain and simple. Goes in. No claim on anything coming out.

Deal with it.

--

Denali
07-18-12, 21:26
Except that it is not. It is not an insurance policy.

It is a tax. Plain and simple. Goes in. No claim on anything coming out.

Deal with it.

--

Spoken like a twenty something, and just who says its not a tax anyway?:rolleyes: Its existence is based upon the concept of SOCIAL SECURITY, its sole purpose for being is SOCIAL SECURITY, which is exactly how it was sold...So pay your tax and quit your whining....

chadbag
07-18-12, 21:37
Spoken like a twenty something,

I wish. If I had a kid at 21 and he had a kid at 21, my grandkid would be pre school age now or slightly older. I've been around the block a few times

and just who says its not a tax anyway?:roll eyes:

you did:

its not an investment, its an insurance policy

Its existence is based upon the concept of SOCIAL SECURITY, its sole purpose for being is SOCIAL SECURITY,

It does not matter what the government promised, or what was said in debate. What matters is the reality, which is that it is a tax, and no one has claim to any sort of payment from the government. You may apply for and possibly get something, but you have no right to it and no claim to anything. It is given at the whim of the government and they make the rules.

The reality is how the statutes are written, and enforced, and any judicial cases that have ruled.

Social Security taxes are collected and go into the big pot just like all the other taxes. There is no special Social Security lock box that holds your "payments" and it specifically is not an insurance policy. It is an "entitlement" paid according to statute at the government's whim.

which is exactly how it was sold...So pay your tax and quit your whining....

I ain't the one whining, friend.

--

Belmont31R
07-18-12, 22:07
ObamaCare was a "penalty" and "not a tax", too, but SCOTUS is the decider on the law of the land.

Much like the value of our money....SS requires "faith" that the government will put something of worth behind a product they issue/sell. People who think SS will be there in the same capacity as it is now when they come time to draw off it might be in for a rude awakening. Im viewing it as a bonus to my retirement (in 40 years lol) but not counting on it.

Like I said before...the SS taxes you pay today go out the door tomorrow. You're paying for CURRENT recipients. Your SS taxes are not going into an account with your name on it. That money gets turned around to other people within days to a month. In fact the SS trust fund is filled with IOU's from the government itself. If you look at the actual break down of our national debt a large part of it is domestic debt. I think the SS trust fund has about 3 trillion worth of IOU's in it.

Sensei
07-18-12, 22:35

OK, I'll play your game. Let's say for argument's sake that Social Security is an insurance policy. Can you show me where in the Constitution providing employment and disability insurance is an enumerated federal power? If you cite Article 1, Section 8, then you need to understand that you are a true progressive in every sense of the word - go forth and vote for Obama with pride.

Also, do you really think that people collecting SSDI and Medicare have paid sufficiently into the system to cover their benefits? If you do, think again because the vast majority of people who currently receive Medicare will overspend their contributions. The same goes for SSDI.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/08/22/social-security-disability-payments-may-cease-in-2017/

This is why your ideas are a disaster for the nation. Most private insurance companies operate at a profit. Your beloved Federal Government will soon be bankrupt because it took on responsibilities that are far outside of its purview. The result is that many dependents will suffer due to their reliance on a government run amok.

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 07:25
Of course, fat bastard may be Catholic* or other religion that does not believe in abortion, so he may let the baby be born, so they can start the cycle over again with fat bastard jr.

* no offense to Catholics or other people of religion meant with the association with fat bastard. If only fat bastard believed in all that the Catholic Church preaches... He wouldn't be needing the abortion in the first place...

Lame.

chadbag
07-19-12, 11:42
Lame.

I think someone missed the point

(and I am one of those who doesn't believe in Abortion)

--

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 12:00
I think someone missed the point

(and I am one of those who doesn't believe in Abortion)

--

I didn't miss the point at all. You specifically targeted the Catholics for no reason at all. Then you give the lame:

Replace your use of Catholics with Blacks, Jewish, Cripples or any other group of people and look how it reads.

chadbag
07-19-12, 12:08
I didn't miss the point at all. You specifically targeted the Catholics for no reason at all. Then you give the lame:

Replace your use of Catholics with Blacks, Jewish, Cripples or any other group of people and look how it reads.

I did not TARGET Catholics. I applaud them for standing for their beliefs. And I also said that any other abortion-opposing faith could be substituted. The point had nothing to do with targeting Catholics, and had everything to do with perpetuation of the system.

ETA: replacing it with Blacks or cripples makes no sense.

---

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 12:22
I did not TARGET Catholics. I applaud them for standing for their beliefs. And I also said that any other abortion-opposing faith could be substituted. The point had nothing to do with targeting Catholics, and had everything to do with perpetuation of the system.

ETA: replacing it with Blacks or cripples makes no sense.

---

As I posted earlier....Lame.

You can attempt to justify "fat bastard may be Catholic" all you want, you already flagged your issue with Catholics.

chadbag
07-19-12, 12:39
As I posted earlier....Lame.

You can attempt to justify "fat bastard may be Catholic" all you want, you already flagged your issue with Catholics.

I am sorry, but I believe "lame" is what applies to your post. See the darn forest for the trees, man!

I did not make up the word "fat bastard". I was replying and extending an example someone else made up and that person chose the word "fat bastard". If he had used "dude" instead of "fat bastard" I would have used the word "dude." I was continuing on someone else's example.

Use of Catholic was because the Catholics are the largest group, in general, who teaches against the abomination of abortion, so if this guy was Catholic, and believed in that aspect of Catholicism, the cycle could be perpetuated. I freely said that any other religious group could be substituted as Catholic was only an example. I also paid a compliment to Catholics by stating that it would be too bad that "fat bastard" was not living up to what the Catholic Church teaches and preaches in other aspects.

I have nothing against Catholics. No "issue" at all. I have plenty of friends who are Catholic (I grew up in Massachusetts, which has a lot of Catholics) including one of my best buddies from HS with whom I am still friends (though he later became an evangelical).

The lame part is that you are too caught up in looking at individual trees to see the forest at all. That is what is "lame"

Believe what you want, there was no intention to slam catholics, and indeed I paid a compliment to their high standards of belief in bemoaning that the subject of the example would not be living up to them or he wouldn't have been part of the problem in the first place.

---

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 13:06
I have nothing against Catholics. No "issue" at all. I have plenty of friends who are Catholic (I grew up in Massachusetts, which has a lot of Catholics) including one of my best buddies from HS with whom I am still friends (though he later became an evangelical).

Naturally, you have plenty of friends who are Catholic....

and you feel the need to work Catholics into 'America's New Right' thread...

Typical response

chadbag
07-19-12, 13:17
Naturally, you have plenty of friends who are Catholic....

Whether you believe me or not, I do. Growing up and then also living many years in New England, you get to know a few Catholics in your life. And just like Evangelicals, Atheists, Mormons, Jews, etc. you find out that there are good folks and bad folks and lots of in between folks that call themselves members of whatever group you are talking about. And in general, those of my friends who are Catholics, have been pretty upstanding people. And I also admire the Catholic Church's willingness to stand up for what they believe, even when it is not popular.

and you feel the need to work Catholics into 'America's New Right' thread...

Typical response

Lame

Whatever, you're right, I am big Catholic-o-phobe. Have it your way. Since you won't see the forest for the trees, and insist on trying to defend something that was not under attack in the first place, have it your way.

feel the need to work Catholics into 'America's New Right

Yeah. Whatever. Like Burger King, have it your way. I feel no such need, but if you feel the need to do whatever you are trying to do, then go ahead.

If you could see the forest for the trees, then we would not be having this conversation since you would see that I am not attacking Catholics at all. I merely used them as an example of someone who is anti-abortion and then paid them a compliment for believing in good things (by saying that "fat bastard" would not be in the position he is in if he lived everything the Catholics preach). Really anti-Catholic of me. Excuse me. Sorry you missed the whole point.

--

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 13:27
I merely used them as an example

Give it a break, you're just adding more BS into it and it is doing absolutly nothing to hide your prejudice.

chadbag
07-19-12, 13:30
Give it a break, you're just adding more BS into it and it is doing absolutly nothing to hide your prejudice.

Whatever. There is no prejudice. Only in your eyes for some reason. Learn to see the forest for the trees and get over yourself.

So, please follow your own advice and give it a break. There is no prejudice against Catholics on my part. I am sorry you are so defensive for what I would guess is your faith, that you cannot comprehend the point of what I was saying and cannot realize that really, I was not and had no intention of demeaning the Catholic church or its beliefs.

Really.

People who actually know me would know that this is laughable.

--

Smuckatelli
07-19-12, 15:52
So, please follow your own advice and give it a break.

That was advice to you...trying to help you out. ;)

Feel free to take the advice or not.

TehLlama
07-19-12, 16:16
Spoken like a twenty something, and just who says its not a tax anyway?:rolleyes: Its existence is based upon the concept of SOCIAL SECURITY, its sole purpose for being is SOCIAL SECURITY, which is exactly how it was sold...So pay your tax and quit your whining....

I'm here, as a twenty something, to say that we have the advantage of not having spent decades deluding ourselves. I'm already fully aware that I'm going to spend half of my working life paying over a quarter of my earnings in taxes in order to fund the retirement, social security, medicare and medicaid liabilities of previous generations, and I honestly have planned financially to receive literally NOTHING in return for roughly a whole decade of my labor.

I'm not whining about how much of MY life is going to be spent working in order to support others, simply that so much of it is going to be spent inefficiently, on the wrong people, and paid out to those with the means to fend for themselves. I trust private charities to do a better job of seeking out and providing for those in need, but government graft supposing to fill that role reduces how much of that good I can do in the world, and THAT is what I'm ****ing livid about.

chadbag
07-19-12, 16:20
That was advice to you...trying to help you out. ;)

really?

Feel free to take the advice or not.

chadbag
07-27-12, 10:47
Disability Benefit Program is Going Broke

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/07/27/Disability-Benefit-Program-Is-Going-Broke.aspx#page1

----------