PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing a supressor

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-10-12, 11:33
Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase a suppressor here in the next few weeks and have been looking pretty hard at the sdn-7 (want a 300 blackout sbr in the future..even though current rifle is a 5.56). After thinking about it a bit more I realized that the n-7 and m42k are both going to be rather long and unwieldily on a 16 inch rifle, and I took great pains to make this rifle quick and nimble for a recce type. On this note, I am now considering a mini 4 instead. I have shot the m42k/n-7 on my rifle at the texas silencer shoot, but no one had a mini (that I found) so I didn't get to try it. What do you guys think, if it were you (and why)? Is it worth the trade off in db reduction and future expanded flexibility to have the smaller, more flexible mini? Also, I can't seem to find any video/photo tests of the mini at night... as my research has led me to believe you don't get complete flash suppression, but most people seem to be talking in reference to the SBR they have it on. Finally, I am open to any alternative suggestions as far as brand/type goes.

Here is the write-up on the host weapon, read the "goals and reasoning section": https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94761

Edit for the lazy: (this is the "theory" behind the weapon system I have built for myself) "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

I truly believe in, and try to live this. I wanted a rifle that had the most flexibility possible. I am not in a swat team or military unit where the disadvantages that come with a person's specialization can be planned for and covered by the advantages of another person's specialization. I need to be able to adapt to any situation/goal, and do so possibly alone or with little/unprepared help. I wanted a rifle that would work well as a mid range sniper/ambush piece, but also be quick and effective in a CQB situation, should I find myself in one. The Recce type build seemed a natural choice for the maximum flexibility in weight, range, and role. I am also getting ready to start shooting in 3gun competitions, so a Recce would fit well in that role as well.

My first priority was reliability, followed by a balance between accuracy and minimizing weight where it was prudent.

Thanks for your insight/opinions.

nubs101
07-10-12, 12:13
Honestly I would skip the Mini. You get a lot more out of the other cans you listed as far as DB reduction. At just a few more inches longer I feel you gain a lot. ( I am comparing Mini to M42k) Maybe look at Surefires suppressors. I believe their suppressors mounts allow for a shorter length added.

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-10-12, 12:23
Nubs, could you expand a bit on what you feel is gained, especially from a true tactical standpoint? I am pretty willing to give up "wow" factor for real tactical advantage, but if the larger cans offer some real world advantages that make up for the size and weight penalty I am willing to go for it.

Is there much of a difference in how much they obscure location of the shot, or is it mostly just db?

Flash suppression on 16 inch barrel?

rjacobs
07-10-12, 14:00
3 words: short barrel rifle

Send in the ppwk for the stamp for that at the same time as the can.

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-10-12, 14:07
lol, thats going to have to wait for after I finish grad school... I am pushing it with the suppressor atm...

nubs101
07-10-12, 14:13
First I can't comment on flash suppression with the Mini. I have never shot one at night. I have shot a " full size " can at night and the flash suppression was minimal.

If you are concerned with weight. There are options out there that will weigh less. One would be the YHM Phantom Ti. I feel with the larger cans you get a much better DB reduction compared to the smaller cans.

wahoo95
07-10-12, 15:49
Spend the extra and go with a SBR. The SDN6 is a nice can for 30cal and 5.56cal usage. Another can worth taking s look at is the new Huntertown Arms Kestrel AK(30cal) can.

I really can spell, however Tapatalk keeps screwing everything up!

matemike
07-10-12, 16:11
You did mention that you want a 300 blackout SBR in the future, so...

I'd go with the 762-SDN-6 as it covers all the bases for .30 cal, 308, and 5.56 suppression. It will seem a little long and unweildly on a 16 inch rifle, but will pay off much more in the end with that 300 sbr, and still serve a purpose on your 556 rifle. It's the most versatile and usable for your case that I can see.

As far as a mini, IMO, I think if you're going to go suppressed, go SUPPRESSED! Go all out. Go big or go home. Don't half ass something because of a length compromise.

I'm currently waiting on both a M4-2000 and a 762-SDN-6. Naturally, I'm hoping the SDN-6 comes back first because it can be used on all of my guns. The M4-2000, only on my 556 guns.

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-10-12, 16:40
My FFL just sent me an email suggesting the HTG Aris or Coyoti if I was willing to give up the QD features.

http://www.htgsilencers.com/Products/Suppressors/Rifle_Suppressors/?ProductID=2849

I have to say, user serviceable titanium can for 300 less than the AAC is pretty tempting as I could use it with my p22 and with a .22 conversion! I am betting I will miss having the QD a lot though...

Thoughts?

fallenromeo
07-10-12, 17:23
I have to say, user serviceable titanium can for 300 less than the AAC is pretty tempting as I could use it with my p22 and with a .22 conversion! I am betting I will miss having the QD a lot though...

Thoughts?
Why do you think you will miss it? Will you honestly be detaching and reattaching it often? Or will you attach it to the upper of your choice and it will stay there? If it is going to be permanently attached to a rifle for the most part then you probably don't need the QD and won't miss it. If you do plan on moving it around a lot then you probably would miss the QD. Is the 300 bucks worth the hassle to you of removing all the time?

justlikeanyoneelse
07-11-12, 01:32
In my experience flash suppression relies on length of your barrel and type of ammo used, noise the length of your suppressor. I say this because of two things I noticed at my range sessions...

1- I use only M855 and MK262 MOD1 in a 10.4 barrel with a Surefire Mini (Not AAC mini but similiar). When I use M855 in the 10.4 I get a pretty noticeable flash every 10 rounds or so. When I use the Mini on my friends 16 inch there is a barely visible flash, at night also. With MK262 MOD1 there is a barely visible flash with both the 10.4 and 16 inch even at night.

2- As I understand it the longer the barrel the more time it has to burn the powder, on a 16 inch it has more than enough time to burn powder to minimize flash through a suppressor. On a 10.4 not enough time and flash is created due to the unburnt remnant powder, therefore with M855 I get the flash every so often. MK262 however burns completely and its my go to round.

If I am mistaken please correct me, but that's the way I understand it.

While I do agree with "go big or go home," personally I prefer mini suppressors as the trade off is worth it (too me). I'm tailored for CQB and I always wear earpro, if noise is your primary concern then a mini isn't for you. However I will say my next rifle will be for long range and I plan to get a AAC 16 inch 300 BLK with the SR7 :D

Also from a tactical standpoint, you'd want to sacrifice noise for size.

Brahmzy
07-11-12, 09:21
...300 BLK with the SR7 :D

This. I do not want to wait 5-7 months for a supp, only to watch the SR7 release while I'm waiting. I'm holding out for the 90T setup. Problem is, I think I'll be waiting until Christmas! :mad:

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-11-12, 10:41
Great info mike. I was curious (if you happen to know): does the obscuration of shot location/direction directly correlate with db reduction, or is it more due to the change in the tone of sound/etc. More directly, how well does a mini hide the directionality of shots?

At this point I am thinking hard about a Ranger 3 to get most of the m42k's db reduction while keeping it shorter and lighter. However, the Saker has kinda caught my eye....

Stupid NFA laws make this is such an impossible, and permanent decision. lol.:D

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-11-12, 10:45
Great info justlike. I was curious (if you happen to know): does the obscuration of shot location/direction directly correlate with db reduction, or is it more due to the change in the tone of sound/etc. More directly, how well does a mini hide the directionality of shots?

At this point I am thinking hard about a Ranger 3 to get most of the m42k's db reduction while keeping it shorter and lighter. However.. the Saker is sorely tempting me now as well, with its multi mount system and flash suppressor endplate...

justlikeanyoneelse
07-11-12, 16:32
I'm not qualified to answer that with pinpoint accuracy but If I had to guess I would say obscuration of shot placement correlates with flash suppression rather than noise. Unless I misunderstood what you meant, if you were in a night time firefight everyone is going to be shooting therefore hearing for your enemy isn't going to help you much, instead everyone would be looking for each others flash then shooting at it. I don't think a mini and regular sized suppressor would be that far off from each other, a suppressor is still a suppressor.

What I am curious is why your so interested in masking your position haha :D

Great info justlike. I was curious (if you happen to know): does the obscuration of shot location/direction directly correlate with db reduction, or is it more due to the change in the tone of sound/etc. More directly, how well does a mini hide the directionality of shots?

At this point I am thinking hard about a Ranger 3 to get most of the m42k's db reduction while keeping it shorter and lighter. However.. the Saker is sorely tempting me now as well, with its multi mount system and flash suppressor endplate...

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-11-12, 17:11
hahaha. I want to mask my position so my wife can't find me when she finds out how much i am going to spend on the suppressor I buy................

In all seriousness, I kind of thought position masking was part of the reason for owning one. I don't currently need to, but I like the idea of having the capability.

justlikeanyoneelse
07-11-12, 17:29
Don't worry that's what suppressors are meant for, noise reduction and concealment, you really can not go wrong.

hahaha. I want to mask my position so my wife can't find me when she finds out how much i am going to spend on the suppressor I buy................

In all seriousness, I kind of thought position masking was part of the reason for owning one. I don't currently need to, but I like the idea of having the capability.