PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive scope for hunting

C-grunt
07-10-12, 13:31
The Ruger #1 7x57 was sold before I was able to buy it so I now have an older Remington 700 ADL chambered in 270 Win sitting at the LGS on layaway.

As the rifle comes it will have a 4x Bushnell scope on it but I would prefer a 3x9 on it. Right now I wont be able to spend a large amout of money on some glass. Eventually it will sport something nice like a Zeiss or a nice Leupold. For now I just want something that's decently clear, hold a zero and wont break.

My budget is going to be around 200 bucks. The ones I have seen and been recomended in that price range are the Redfields, Vortexx Diamondback and the lower end Leupolds.

Any sugestions from you guys?

DTHN2LGS
07-10-12, 14:01
Lower end Leupold.

gun71530
07-10-12, 15:09
I would get the Leupold that's what I use.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

High Tower
07-10-12, 16:35
See if you can compare all three side by side and with the one you like the most. Check out the Nikon low end model as well (Prostaff?)

40Arpent
07-11-12, 11:23
In addition to the lower-end Leupold and Nikon ProStaff lines (I have 2-3 of each), I'd recommend also considering the Burris Fullfield II line. The two that I own have served me very well for hunting, and are on par, in my opinion, with Leupold's VX-2 line, but at a lower price.

okie john
07-11-12, 14:35
Find a used Leupold Vari-X 3-9 variable. Leupold's lifetime warranty is superb. They'll check it out and rebuild it for almost nothing.

Okie John

SkiDevil
07-11-12, 15:55
In addition to the lower-end Leupold and Nikon ProStaff lines (I have 2-3 of each), I'd recommend also considering the Burris Fullfield II line. The two that I own have served me very well for hunting, and are on par, in my opinion, with Leupold's VX-2 line, but at a lower price.

$200 Budget, Nixon Pro-Staff, Weaver, Leupold Var. I or II.

I would agree and probably choose the Nikon Pro-Staff. Great value for the money spent.

AKDoug
07-12-12, 00:34
My kids and I have been running Vortex Diamondbacks for several years now and they have performed very well.

DBR
07-12-12, 11:56
Weaver makes an excellent AO 3-9X that is airgun rated (requires extra lens retaining). I have a couple of them. I think I paid about $180 for the last one I bought. They call it a "rimfire scope" but it is tougher than many so called hunting scopes.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE849398&prodTitle=Weaver%203-9x32%20Classic%20Rimfire%20AO%20Riflescope%20Dual-X%20Reticle%20Matte

The 50yd parallax setting doesn't matter because of the adjustable objective (AO). The AO allows you to dial out parallax at any distance.

ADDED: The two I have are made in Japan with Japanese glass and are very good.

C-grunt
07-12-12, 14:50
I checked out a few at the Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday. They had everything I was looking for except the Burris and Leupold VX1. Of the ones I looked at I really liked the Vortex Diamondback. It fealt solid and had some pretty decent glass in it.

Ill head on over to Cabelas today to check out the cheaper Leupolds. I am a huge fan of Leupold and they are the only scopes that have gone on my non AR rifles in the last 10 years or so.

MILSHOOTER
07-12-12, 20:13
The Redfield Revolution 3x9 can be had for a good price if you catch it on sale. I got mine for $169 from Gander on sale. The Accu-Range reticle is nice because it provides relativity fast acquisition while still proving hold over points. The glass is a bit dimmer than other optics in the over $250 range but I couldn't tell until I had them side by side at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/565719/redfield-revolution-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-accu-range-reticle-matte

rdc0000
07-13-12, 09:55
Sightron. Make sure it is Japanese mfg'd. Of all I have looked through they look good. I have not had one long enough to talk durability but others have said they are good.

r3dn3ck
07-15-12, 10:11
I know I'll catch hell for this but:

Walmart has a nice tasco 3-9x50 for about 50 bucks. I stuck one on my backup rifle (rem 770, might as well stay cheap... my main rig wears a high end optic on a high end rifle but my backup gun is liable to be used by inexperienced hunters so I didn't spend much on it) and it's held well against 50 round sessions of 7mm Rem mag recoil. It does not shoot the box exceedingly well but it's a decent serviceable hunting scope on the cheap. Glass clarity was really good at low power and didn't fuzz the edges on 9x. Adjustments seemed to be accurate and as repeatable as I needed. The gun is a 1" shooter (which I consider to be poor accuracy) so it's hard to tell if 1/4" adjustment had any effect.

BIGUGLY
08-03-12, 18:54
Konus, have on on my 308, works well and has performed great. Did a lot of review searching before purchase and its been a good piece of glass.

Texas42
08-03-12, 20:32
Redfield and Nikon are my go to, inexpensive scope. They are cheap. They work. Not a million yard gun or a go to war scope, but it will kill deer while it is legal to hunt.

OMD
08-03-12, 23:02
I'm all for American made glass, but for value I tend to get older Japanese made Nikon, Bushnell (B&L only), Weaver or Redfield on Ebay - they are an excellent value if they haven't been abused and almost always under $200. Here is a good Nikon for $150 - you won't get near that quality in a new Leupold in the same price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-2-7x34-mm-Pre-Monarch-Rifle-Scope-Gloss-Japan-/170889664632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c9d15878

and a cheaper B&L Japanese Bushnell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180940601481&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

C-grunt
08-26-12, 10:19
I ended up finding a new in box Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 for a good price and picked that up. Now I just need some rings as the Weavers that came on the rifle are spaced to far apart to mount the Nikon.

MILSHOOTER
08-26-12, 16:14
Burris Signature rings with the inserts work well for hunting applications.
Edit: as well as some Warn bases.

B Cart
08-26-12, 16:32
I would spend a couple dollars extra and get the Primary Arms 4-14x44 Mil Mil scope with FFP. This will give you the benefit of Mil Mil turrets for the longer range shots, as well as a First Focal Plane scope. It has a lot of the features of a more expensive scope, but is only $229, and has pretty good customer reviews. Just my .02

ETA : here is the link https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

SteveS
08-26-12, 19:59
Find a used Leupold Vari-X 3-9 variable. Leupold's lifetime warranty is superb. They'll check it out and rebuild it for almost nothing.

Okie John
In 1961 my dad bought a 300 Weatherby rifle and a Leupold scope . In 1995 I took the rifle out to shoot it and noticed the coating on the lens was peeling. I called Leupold and told them the problem and I didn't have a receipt, the rep said lifetime warranty. I sent the scope in and within 2 weeks the scope was back on the rifle. that is the reason I buy Leupold. Buy once cry once, it works.

tpd223
08-27-12, 11:10
I had two of the low end Luepolds crap the bed on me last year, and frankly the CS follw up kind of pissed me off.

On a when I bought a Bushnell 3X9 in either the 3200 or 4200 line (would need to dog into the safe to check) with the Rainguard lens coating.

Bushnell's HQ is 45 minutes from my house and they have had great CS for me in the past so I thought WTH and bought the scope from Cabela's on sale for $169.

I like that scope, a lot.

Light transmission is as good as my VXII Luepold, maybe as good as a VXIII to my uncalibrated eyeball.

The scope has crisp clicks and holds zero over the course of the past two years, in and out of the truck, from summer to winter weather, etc.

The lens coating is bad ass in poor weather. Rain just runs off leaving a clean lens, and unlike other scopes where if you breath on it accidentally in sub freezing weather it doesn't fog up on the outside.

This is a rare case, IMHO, of getting more for your money than what you paid for.

Servo
08-27-12, 12:24
Redfield Revolution.
US made, very good in low light and, for the money, it is very clear.

If I remember right the Revolutions specs are identical to the VXI line.

nineteenkilo
08-27-12, 12:54
I'll second what was already said before in order of preference for me:

1. Nikon Pro
2. Bushnell 3200 or D2D
3. Redfield
4. Leopold's Lower end optics (not all that great imo)

At the price point in question, the Nikon's kick some pretty serious ass.

soulezoo
10-02-12, 17:13
^^^ I have to second the above list.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 that is a fair amount brighter and crisper than my Leupold 3-9 VXII.

C-grunt
10-02-12, 19:25
I ended up with a used Nikon Monarch 3-9 and put them in Leupold mounts. Rifle shoots pretty well.

KarbonChemist
10-05-12, 15:59
Cheap scopes that are decent...

Burris FFII was ok

I have been pleased with the Vortex optics. Plus they have a great service policy and will take almost anything back (forever warranty)