PDA

View Full Version : If i dont own an M203 grenade launcher...any reason to get a RIS II vs other options

Amur
07-11-12, 12:55
So the RIS II looks really solid. I understand why socom went with the RIS II because 1. it will free float attach the m203 grenade launcher and 2. its tough as hell.

Here my question: I dont see my self getting a M203 grenade launcher any time soon :laugh: (sad I know)

As a basic civie, is their any reason to get a RIS II...is it tougher, better or have any other advantage over the rest of the top end quad rails out there? I have heard taking the bottom off makes cleaning easier, but it seems like i would be just as well served with a basic DD light rail or equivalent since i wont be getting a grenade launcher anytime soon.

polymorpheous
07-11-12, 13:28
It has a smaller profile, the bottom rail sits a lot closer to the bottom rail.
Same lock up to the barrel nut as the Lite.

krisjon
07-11-12, 13:30
A lot of people going with the RIS II are building SOPMOD Block II clone rifles, so the choice is made to keep with those specs for authenticity.

Any DD rail is going to serve your purpose and perform well, though.

badness
07-11-12, 16:28
i'd take a ris II over a lite any day. The smaller overall "circumference" is reason enough to choose it over the lite.

Endur
07-11-12, 17:28
Smaller profile and easier to clean under the rail but you can't go wrong with any dd rail.

Col_Crocs
07-11-12, 20:20
The RISII is my currnt favorite. I have the mk18 version so no 203 hangers but i got it because for its solid lock up and its ability to have the lower rail removed without disturbing the rest of the rail.

bp7178
07-11-12, 20:39
I've now owned a Troy MRF, the Troy Extreme, DD Lite 12.0, DD RIS-II, URX-III, and for a short stint the Noveske NSR.

The DD RIS-II is my favorite by a long shot. The smaller profile is nicer than the Lite series. The Lite just felt a little awkward in the hand, especially if you shoot with an AFG or a vertical grip thumb forward.

The bolt-up system doesn't require any indexing of the barrel nut. The lower rail can be removed by using a flat head screw driver. The entire rail system can be removed by using an allen wrench. Alignment of the rail to the upper can be tweaked by the user requiring nothing more than an allen wrench and some time. It is a very light rail system for what it offers. It uses a steel barrel nut.

The naked style rails, ie URX-III are nice, but having all of the slots milled off really doesn't save much weight, and can make things kind of a pain in the ass. I love the intergrated front sight of the URX-III, but its not without its drawbacks.

I'm putting together a 14.5" Noveske Afghan upper now. Being that it is going to be pinned, I'm more or less married to whatever rail system I pick. And if I'm picking one for the life of my barrel, its a DD RIS-II.

sinlessorrow
07-11-12, 21:07
DD makes a great rail and was chosen by SOCOM for good reason but that doesnt mean others arent just as good.

Check this out.

Rails on combat rifles. (http://www.defensereview.com/tactical-ar-15m4m4a1-carbine-aftermarket-accessories-for-military-combat-applications-the-competition-to-combat-crossover/)

GeorgiaBoy
07-11-12, 21:41
Advantages of RIS II over LITE:

- Anti-rotational tabs
- Smaller O.D., no "I-beam" feel
- Detachable Bottom Rail makes it easier to clean under rail; barrel
- To me, I like the look of the two-tone FDE color
- Passed SOCOM testing

- Disadvantages

- Heavier
- Lacks QD sockets

But in the end, both are extremely solid built rails that you just can't go wrong with.

TehLlama
07-11-12, 23:19
Easier to clean the barrel under the handguard, and that tighter lower rail being higher up does improve handling if you're running a VFG, Stubby, AFG, or something similar off the bottom rail. For just a hand stop or rail cover grip, I prefer the Lite rail, but the RIS is a very decent handguard.

Amur
07-12-12, 17:33
Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback. I am really struggling deciding between the RIS II and the new Noveske NSR for AR#2. (Kinda of best of breed of the two types of rails out there)

Find ManBearPig!
07-12-12, 18:27
I have a DD RIS II on my 16 inch BCM mid length. Feels great in hand, the lower rail is removable should you need to clean the barrel or mount certain rail attachments that have trouble getting onto the bottom rail. Did I also mention the thing is built like a tank and is a gorgeous piece of machining? It's really a top notch rail, not much can compare to it in terms of what it is designed to do.

However, in hindsight, I now realize I may not have needed so much rail, and could have saved roughly 7 ounces in total had I gone for the 13.5 inch NSR. I'm not sure I really care that much about 7 ounces as a civilian shooter, and if I ever do need the all that rail real estate at some point in the future, I don't have to worry about the cost, complexity, and weight of a bolt on rail segment. I guess the biggest drawback is increased cost for increased capabilities that are unneeded by most.

I think, for your average shooter, with the advent of things like Mount-n-Slot, the DD RISII is probably overkill, but it is one hell of a rail if you don't mind paying a little extra for it and gaining 7 ounces of weight.

bp7178
07-12-12, 18:39
Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback. I am really struggling deciding between the RIS II and the new Noveske NSR for AR#2. (Kinda of best of breed of the two types of rails out there)

I would look at the other features of the rifle and decide what you want. If you are going with a lightweight barrel, a lightweight rail option may be better.

Another option for a light rail is the Midwest Industries SS GEN-II.

The weight differences really aren't that great, plus you can always get the MK18 RIS-II for a little shorter and lighter option. Longer heavier barrels seem to effect the balance more.

I've done the lightweight rifle thing, and I actually prefer the feel of a slightly heavier rifle so while I look at weight as a feature, I don't put as much importance on it.

Amur
07-12-12, 19:47
This will be for a general purpose (which for me means all purpose defense and training) 14.5 med contour noveske chrome lined barrel with perm attached battle comp (NJ resident). Price is not a concern. I have a buy once cry once mentality and plan to keep this for a lifetime before passing on to my son.

Options are 12.5 RIS II standard noveske upper, 11" NSR or 13.5" NSR on MUR upper

I would look at the other features of the rifle and decide what you want. If you are going with a lightweight barrel, a lightweight rail option may be better.

Another option for a light rail is the Midwest Industries SS GEN-II.

The weight differences really aren't that great, plus you can always get the MK18 RIS-II for a little shorter and lighter option. Longer heavier barrels seem to effect the balance more.

I've done the lightweight rifle thing, and I actually prefer the feel of a slightly heavier rifle so while I look at weight as a feature, I don't put as much importance on it.

Reagans Rascals
07-12-12, 19:54
for the price.... I would go with a Knights URX II Mid-Length over a Mk18 RIS II for 14.5" barrel...

You can get one on Amazon for $300 now... and the price of the wrench has substantially decreased...

just my .02

http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Armament-Company-Receiving-Extending/dp/B007TR86QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342141004&sr=8-1&keywords=Knights+URX+II

bp7178
07-12-12, 21:40
The URX-II midlength won't work with mid-length gas systems. The front sight assembly gets in the way. The URX-II rifle length will, but for some reason they have been discontinued and are hard to find.

That being said, if I could find a URX-II rifle I'd consider it. If I have to send the barrel out to get pinned, I'd send it to Marvin Pitts and have him put together the URX too and spare myself buying the wrench.

I had read that the MK18 RIS-II wouldn't work with a mid-length gas system, but I've found a few pictures which indicate otherwise. You have to use a low profile gas block, and it sticks out a bit from the front of the rail.